Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2016, 13:34   #10006
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hey guys,

I am trying to find a better lighting for my Ritz. The stock 55/60 halogens are useless in night, hopeless on a rainy night. Till now I didn't upgrade to 100/90 halogen due to concerns of reflector melting etc.
Other option is HID Kit or projector retrofit.
I don't want to open the headlight console and hence projector retrofit is ruled out.
low temperature (3000k) HID kit is an option. But Philips 90/100 w halogen (Weather vision) looks like a much cheaper alternative to start with.

I want to know did anyone try this out? It is a 2700k 90/100w halogen. I am hoping it would be good for rainy nights on highways.

Any feedback on these halogens? Or any other reliable options?
Old 24th July 2016, 00:26   #10007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
Hey guys,

I am trying to find a better lighting for my Ritz. The stock 55/60 halogens are useless in night, hopeless on a rainy night. Till now I didn't upgrade to 100/90 halogen due to concerns of reflector melting etc.
Other option is HID Kit or projector retrofit.
I don't want to open the headlight console and hence projector retrofit is ruled out.
low temperature (3000k) HID kit is an option. But Philips 90/100 w halogen (Weather vision) looks like a much cheaper alternative to start with.
I think Ritz has H4 type bulb.

I suggest you to try Osram Night Breaker halogen bulbs with same wattage. If you are not satisfied, go for Philips 100/90 W bulb with relay.

3000K HID is golden yellow and it would provide better visibility under rain and fog. But, remember HID without projector would just blind others. A projector ensures proper cut off and reduces the glare, more importantly better output.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 05:26   #10008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
low temperature (3000k) HID kit is an option.
Please do not use HID on the OE reflector. It has totally uncontrolled light throw and severely glares oncoming traffic.

If projectors are ruled out, as Dr.Naren suggested, go with OSRAM nightbreakers or Philips XV in the same wattage. These significantly improve the light throw.
Old 24th July 2016, 08:32   #10009
BANNED

I am thinking of risking LED 7443's for the tail lights of my Brio. I had bought some 20 odd for about ₹2000 odd. They bombed out, the positioning of the terminals was badly placed. Now I am looking at JDM ASTAR and LUYED from Amazon, about 2000-2400 for a pair. I want some feedback, and also whether the JDMs are a pair or a single lamp.

Any experince, and recommendations.
Old 24th July 2016, 08:37   #10010
BHPian

I had a question regarding HID in projector headlamps. We hear everyone talking about not putting HID in normal assemblies because of the glare. But all the expensive vehicles which have the HID in projector system also blind the traffic if they drive in high beam, which they generally do..comments
Old 24th July 2016, 09:20   #10011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayon View Post
But all the expensive vehicles which have the HID in projector system also blind the traffic if they drive in high beam, which they generally do..comments
On-coming traffic will definitely be blinded if one uses high-beam, Whether or Not you have projectors. However, projectors are still better due to the directed beam.

It's mostly the higher-end cars that have a dual-beam projectors. Many other mid-range cars have a projector only for the low beam, and regular reflector for high-beam.

So which cars are you refering to ?
Old 24th July 2016, 09:21   #10012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Please do not use HID on the OE reflector. It has totally uncontrolled light throw and severely glares oncoming traffic.

If projectors are ruled out, as Dr.Naren suggested, go with OSRAM nightbreakers or Philips XV in the same wattage. These significantly improve the light throw.
I did see your DIY projector upgrade thread. There is a lot of uncertainty. That is why I am a bit concerned. If I can get the entire headlight console with projector assembly I can try that. Do you know any place in bangalore where they might have such a setup? I searched online catalog of "Lumens" and they don't have looks like.

I too had the same concern of HID on reflectors. Mostly I will not go for that.

I had tried Philips XV on my old zen. It definitely has slight better throw. But it increases the color temperature too and in rain it is as good or worser than stock halogen. On my zen I had later upgraded to 100/90w halogen with relay and that performed far better. It was cheaper too. It was some basic bulb (something like 150Rs) and whole setup (relay + bulb) costed around 1000Rs. But even this setup is not great in rain. It definitely is better than philips xv 60/55w in rain.

So this time I wanted to see if yellow headlights will improve rain visibility.
These Philips Weather Vision (100/90W 2900K ) (Im my earlier post I mentioned it is 2700K. it was a mistake. it is 2900K) are listed at around 1700Rs.

Amazon says its lumen rating is: 2200 / 1400 (assuming high/low beam)

I wanted to know how odd is yellow light on a non rainy day to use. And does it increase visibility significantly in rain? I didn't find much review on this particular bulb. Anyone using yellow lights (sub 3400k) as headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Output pics comparison : High Beam

I have been using Mini Super V2 projector setup in my Baleno from Xenon Planet. I have observed that the output looks brighter now (bulb break in period).

I am using AES projector kit in my SX4. I am not very happy about it for using for few months. I had issues like high/low beam getting stuck. Now I have observed bowing cut off. This is due to shield not getting back to it's place properly.

Baleno - Mini Super V2
Attachment 1531860
This mini super v2 output is impressive. Was it stock projector for baleno? If not how was the stock projector performance?

Last edited by Eddy : 24th July 2016 at 22:15. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 24th July 2016, 09:40   #10013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayon View Post
I had a question regarding HID in projector headlamps. We hear everyone talking about not putting HID in normal assemblies because of the glare. But all the expensive vehicles which have the HID in projector system also blind the traffic if they drive in high beam, which they generally do..comments
Even in projectors, high beam will glare oncoming traffic. That is why high beams are to be used only when there is no oncoming traffic. However, in low beam, when aligned right, you get a very sharp cut off which stays below the eye-line of the oncoming traffic and will not glare.

On the other hand, when you put a HID in a OE reflector, forget high beam, even in low beam, you will have heavy light scatter which will glare oncoming traffic.

Quote:
If I can get the entire headlight console with projector assembly I can try that. Do you know any place in bangalore where they might have such a setup? I searched online catalog of "Lumens" and they don't have looks like.
I wanted to know how odd is yellow light on a non rainy day to use. And does it increase visibility significantly in rain? I didn't find much review on this particular bulb. Anyone using yellow lights (sub 3400k) as headlights?
There may be aftermarket headlights with projectors available for Ritz. For Polo there are options like Eagle Eyes which come with halogen projectors. Many have installed these and changed the low beam to HID (FrankMehta has done this on his Polo GT). Similarly, you may get such a complete assembly for Ritz as well. As far as I know, Lumens systems does not have a proper website. Best is to call and talk to Vinod. XenonPlanet is another good option. Last time when I changed the ballasts and HID in my projector setup, I had bought them from XenonPlanet. I had a long discussion with the owner on FB and he is a very knowledgeable person. Contact XenonPlanet on their FB page and see if he can get you a completely assembled projector for the Ritz.

Regarding color temperature, sub 3000K is overkill for headlights. I would suggest you to stick to 3900K or 4300K for headlights. They are quite good for rain. During rains, supplement the headlights with fog lamps to get better visibility.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 09:53   #10014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This mini super v2 output is impressive. Was it stock projector for baleno? If not how was the stock projector performance?
I have Baleno Zeta variant. It doesn't come with stock projector. I got Mini Super V2 retrofitted into my stock headlight assembly.

I have checked output of stock Baleno projector. It is just average and nowhere near to Mini Super.
Old 24th July 2016, 10:59   #10015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post
As pointed out by members, a blueish light will actually be worse off than stock ones of a similar wattage in rainy conditions because it will just refract and diffract away. Important thing to note is the rainy bit. On every other occasion the Phillips will perform better than stock. So now it is actually upto you, do you encounter rainy nights frequently on your rides? If so and you feel that you need bulbs SPECIFICALLY for rains/rainy nights, then go for Phillips weather vision 100/90. It has an extremely yellow spread beam and cuts through the rain with ease( I have been using these for the past year now).
Can you post a pic of illuminated road? Is it too odd for non-rainy days? I meant too yellow. Is the visibility enhanced even on non-rainy nights?
Old 24th July 2016, 21:59   #10016
BHPian

Any 2016 duster owner fedup with stock lights and finnaly started using H1 and H7 led setup.
Any feedback or link to product would be very helpful
From what i understand so far with the HL housing and dust cap, duster needs one with flexible heat dessipator a fan would not do.

Last edited by ARAY : 24th July 2016 at 22:00.
Old 26th July 2016, 18:10   #10017
BHPian

Hi All,

I have just installed the following Philips Rally Bulbs in my Ford Ecosport. I used Hella Rally relay set for the same with the provided wiring harness and holders. Although, the improvement over the Xtreme Vision is 40-50% I still have some concerns and reservations :

1. Have I unintentionally voided my warranty ?
2. Now, that I already have the relay, is their any other better bulb ?
3. Will lense blackening / melting be an issue of concern ?

Please help me, because if their are some impending future problems I will get it removed. Thanks !!!!

Last edited by BB311 : 26th July 2016 at 18:11. Reason: used sms slang in one place
Old 30th July 2016, 15:58   #10018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Hi All,
1. Have I unintentionally voided my warranty ?
2. Now, that I already have the relay, is their any other better bulb ?
3. Will lense blackening / melting be an issue of concern ?

Please help me, because if their are some impending future problems I will get it removed. Thanks !!!!
You haven't voided any warranty theoretically since in any event you can roll back the setup to stock condition. Better bulb I doubt since in my experience the rallys(if genuine) are the best bulbs in the 100/90 category. Apart from that if you want anything better you should be considering a 130/100 rally which will be an overkill and just too bright for both you and the vehicle oncoming.
Old 30th July 2016, 22:19   #10019
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more pics : Mini Super V2 from Xenon Planet

High beam output :
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160730wa0002.jpg

Look at that thick colour band
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160730wa0004.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160730wa0003.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 17:50   #10020
BHPian

Can someone tell me a decent place to get projector retrofits in Bangalore?

I already have the projector & HID kit, but I'm finding it hard to actually find someone to install them! My experience dealing with Vinod from Lumen Systems was downright disgusting, while Shyam from XenonPlanet seems a little busy and hasn't been able to commit a time for installation. Any other reputed guys to contact?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks