Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 20:33   #9991
Team-BHP Support

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
Hello sir,

How about adding in Hella aux lights just enough to run through thick rain/fog? Please suggest.

thanks.
Yup, additional lights will reap benefits. You can go for anything which suits your budget.
Old 16th July 2016, 12:28   #9992
BHPian

HI BHPians

I am a noob when it come to the lighting dept in cars .
I currently own a Grand I10 with the stock (60/55 W) assembly for the headlights.

During night driving I find the high beam PATHETIC.
I have been contemplating the upgrade to the 100/90 setup. The same has been checked with MODI HYUNDAI who say its possible to do this at their service centre/ workshop.

MY MAIN CONCERNS ARE AS FOLLOW:
1. Does the 100/90 heat up the headlight assembly to such an extent that the plastics/ reflectors can melt?
2. I it necessary to keep a tab on how long the headlights are used( would i have to keep shutting the lights off at signals etc?)
3. Apart from the loss of warranty on the headlight assembly is there any other major issues i should be worrying about?.
4. Are there any battery draining issues to deal with considering that in rains i would need to use the wiper and the music system is always on whenever i am driving.

PS: I have thought about the projector lamps , but the high one time cost is keeping me from taking that approach.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
- NEON

Last edited by Ne0N : 16th July 2016 at 12:41. Reason: new concern added
Old 16th July 2016, 13:21   #9993
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0N View Post
1. Does the 100/90 heat up the headlight assembly to such an extent that the plastics/ reflectors can melt?
It does heat up but won't melt unless one takes due care.

Quote:
2. I it necessary to keep a tab on how long the headlights are used( would i have to keep shutting the lights off at signals etc?)
Yes, be careful on how long you use the high beam. That has direct influence on life, reflector condition in long term.

I make it a habit to switch to be at low beam and if situation does demand high beam, I keep it off at idle.

I am on 100/90W setup for the past 1+ year and it is reliable and reflectors are normal. My usage is 3000 kms a month of which 1500 kms are night driving on loved set of roads.

Quote:
3. Apart from the loss of warranty on the headlight assembly is there any other major issues i should be worrying about?
Get a good wiring harness kit from Philips or Hella. It is a plug and play type.

Quote:
4. Are there any battery draining issues to deal with considering that in rains i would need to use the wiper and the music system is always on whenever i am driving.
No such issues unless your car is less used.

If it is used regularly then nothing to worry at all.

Last edited by a4anurag : 16th July 2016 at 13:23.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 13:55   #9994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It does heat up but won't melt unless one takes due care.

Yes, be careful on how long you use the high beam. That has direct influence on life, reflector condition in long term.

I make it a habit to switch to be at low beam and if situation does demand high beam, I keep it off at idle.

I am on 100/90W setup for the past 1+ year and it is reliable and reflectors are normal. My usage is 3000 kms a month of which 1500 kms are night driving on loved set of roads.

Get a good wiring harness kit from Philips or Hella. It is a plug and play type.

Hi A4Anurag

Thanks for the advice and prompt reply.
Your reply does answer my questions.

Just a doubt on the below quote:

Quote:

By plug and play does it mean that if i do install the 100/90 setup with a wiring harness kit from Philips or Hella ,I wont need a relay?

Also my monthly usage does not exceed 500 KMS (basically the weekend car). That seems like a scarcely used car for such an upgrade?

Thanks
Ne0N
Old 16th July 2016, 13:58   #9995
BHPian

Quote:
HI BHPians

I currently own a Grand I10 with the stock (60/55 W) assembly for the headlights.

I have been contemplating the upgrade to the 100/90 setup. The same has been checked with MODI HYUNDAI who say its possible to do this at their service centre/ workshop.

MY MAIN CONCERNS ARE AS FOLLOW:
THANKS IN ADVANCE
- NEON
Hi Neon, i am using Philips 100/90W bulbs on my 2012 i20 (old gen). I never faced any warranty issue and the bulbs are still working flawlessly. The horn and headlight bulbs are crap in hyundai and got both changed within one week of taking delivery.
P.s- are you talking about Modi Hyundai in vasai?
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 14:24   #9996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Hi Neon, i am using Philips 100/90W bulbs on my 2012 i20 (old gen). I never faced any warranty issue and the bulbs are still working flawlessly. The horn and headlight bulbs are crap in hyundai and got both changed within one week of taking delivery.
Hi Akib

Thanks for the reply.

Some doubts about the installation:
1. When u installed the 100/90 was this done at the hyundai service center/workshop or at a car accessories shop?
2. Any warranty issues on the wiring/ electricals ?
3. Was there any need to cut or splice the OEM wiring?
4. Did they also put in philips/osram bulbs or just OEM bulbs(incase Hyundai did the installation)?
5. How much did it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Hey I was talking about Modi Hyundai in Thane west.

Thanks
Neon!
Old 16th July 2016, 14:30   #9997
BANNED

Quote:
By plug and play does it mean that if i do install the 100/90 setup with a wiring harness kit from Philips or Hella ,I wont need a relay?
The kit consists of:

1. Wiring harness neatly covered and insulated,
2. Ceramic Holders,
3. 2 Heavy Duty 30A Fuses for each Beam,
4. A Relay.
Old 17th July 2016, 17:17   #9998
Senior - BHPian

Today while browsing through Amazon, I came across this :
http://www.amazon.in/Philips-X-treme...H4+60%2F55W%29
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-new-philips-xtreme-vision-130.png

How are these bulbs different from : http://www.amazon.in/Philips-X-Treme...tinon+H4+4200K
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-existing-philips-xtreme-vision-.png

There is a difference in price, which one is better ? My existing Philips Xtreme Vision + now is a bit more yellowish. Not that I will buy the more expensive ones. Both are 3700K, and similar watt rating. What I want is a very strong low beam, and these bulbs make high beam much stronger which is last thing I want when almost everybody is hitting high beam. Fighting High beam with high beam results into no visibility in front of car; obviously a dangerous scenario.

Day before yesterday, during a leisure night drive an Indica Vista hit my Swift's RHS ORVM and led indicator strip is damaged. The Indica Vista was a cab and needless to say was in high beam. A strong low beam helps in these cases.

Quote:

I had a Grand i10 and hence putting down my view : Please check for horizontal alignment of RHS headlight. One of the most pathetic horizontal alignment I ever came across was Grand i10. After changing several bulbs, Ring Automotive Ultima H4 turned out to be the best.

Also, please check the OEM bulbs make. My Grand i10 had Halonix as OEM, and they were next to useless. Considering your usage which is 500 kms. a month, you can also try Philips Xtreme Vision+, Osram Night Breaker or Ring Ultima 130%. After my installation of Ring Automotive bulbs, light performance took a leap. The above mentioned bulbs should be an easy replacement with similar watt rating.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th July 2016 at 17:18.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 17:52   #9999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What I want is a very strong low beam, and these bulbs make high beam much stronger which is last thing I want when almost everybody is hitting high beam.
I was in same situation and searched for alternatives for almost 1 year..I tried options like different bulbs (Philips, Osram, LED etc), but realized that none are suiting 100%. So finally I installed 2 Hella driving lights and focussed towards the typical low beam area.. Details are here
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 18:02   #10000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today while browsing through Amazon, I came across this :
http://www.amazon.in/Philips-X-treme...H4+60%2F55W%29
Attachment 1530199
Notice the shipping time of 2-4 weeks. That is a dead giveaway that the item is being imported after you place the order. The seller in this case is a middle-man, who will import it, take care of customs clearance, and then ship it to you - for a profit. The other giveaway is the name of the seller - over time you start recognizing resellers names.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20160717.jpg
The same bulbs are available on Amazon.uk here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-123...dp/B00NMEEOV2/
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20160717-2.jpg
Notice that these bulbs can be shipped directly from Amazon.co.uk to India. The cost of doing this (purchase + shipping + customs) works out to only Rs. 3000 - i.e. cheaper by Rs. 700:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20160717-4.jpg
The lesson for us is - expensive is not always better.

Moreover, if you take a look at the specs for the 1400 rupee bulbs on the Philips India site and compare them to the pricier bulbs specifications on the Philips UK site, you'll notice that they're pretty much the same: they both have a brightness of 1650 lumens and the same colour temperature of 3700 K.

In all, the pricier bulbs don't seem to offer any significant advantage other than prettier packaging.
Old 18th July 2016, 10:37   #10001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
There is a difference in price, which one is better ?
Yeah I agree there is price difference, but AFAIK there is not much of a difference in the bulbs except for the packing. I use Extreme vision + 130% in my car and it is still Yellowish in nature. I don't exactly see the 130% improvement in light, may be it is around 20% brighter.

I would suggest either go for a 100/90 setup and this would be the best solution to tackle low beams and with high beam it would be great. If you still insist to have more light, then you can go with the Aux setup.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th July 2016, 11:20   #10002
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Akib

Thanks for the reply.

Some doubts about the installation:
1. When u installed the 100/90 was this done at the hyundai service center/workshop or at a car accessories shop?
Hi Neon. Sorry for the late reply, was caught up with work. I had installed it at an accessory shop and it cost me around 1000 rs. Its been 4 years now and the bulb is working brilliantly. I never face any warranty issues with my car. Hope this helps.
Drive Safe.

Last edited by Akib Khan : 18th July 2016 at 11:24. Reason: Fixing quote.
Old 20th July 2016, 21:27   #10003
BHPian

Quote:

Hello @a4anurag,

I am badly contemplating on installing the Hella Auxillary lights onto my Storme.

But I am very particular how and where these should be installed. I would like the aux lights to be seated behind the front grill. Ofcoarse, I am ready to have the grill cut to light dimensions or remove the grill entirely.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-5.jpg

So being a beginner on this front, could you please guide me to a trustable technician with fair amount of honesty on the equipment and wiring in Hyderabad.

Many thanks.
Old 21st July 2016, 21:38   #10004
Distinguished - BHPian

Output pics comparison : High Beam

I have been using Mini Super V2 projector setup in my Baleno from Xenon Planet. I have observed that the output looks brighter now (bulb break in period).

I am using AES projector kit in my SX4. I am not very happy about it for using for few months. I had issues like high/low beam getting stuck. Now I have observed bowing cut off. This is due to shield not getting back to it's place properly.

My S-Cross has stock bixenon projector setup. But output is pretty average. I am planning to install Mini D2S projector, if it would fit into stock shrouds.

Kwid has a large halogen reflector and output is decent enough. 100/90 W Philips bulb with relay is on cards.

Following pics are output in high beam taken at same location.

Kwid : Stock Halogen
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160721wa0026.jpg

S-Cross : Stock Bixenon Setup
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160721wa0030.jpg

SX4 - AES Setup
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160721wa0025.jpg

SX4 : AES Setup : Bowing Cut Off
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160721wa0031.jpg

Baleno - Mini Super V2
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20160721wa0024.jpg

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st July 2016 at 21:43.
Old 21st July 2016, 21:51   #10005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
I am badly contemplating on installing the Hella Auxillary lights onto my Storme.

But I am very particular how and where these should be installed. I would like the aux lights to be seated behind the front grill.
@Kams, try to get a smaller light, and mount them closer to the headlamps. The place you have chosen will block air flow to the radiator.

The alternate is to mount the lamps outside, in front of the grille.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks