Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 14:59   #11491
BHPian
 
Revvliner22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Thane
Posts: 31
Thanked: 23 Times
Re: Query: New Headlight and foglamp setup for my '14 Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
I am using fog projectors in my Aspire and so far, I am highly impressed with the output I am getting from these. It does illuminate a large area ahead and has made my life really easy while driving during the late hours. I agree that there is no match to projectors fitted in the headlight but I think fog projectors along with a good HID kit will always be superior than the LEDs in fog lamps.
Projectors+HID kit in fog lamps surely improves throw and brightness than stock. The projectors as compared to regular housing will provide a better spread and uniformity in lightning.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th July 2019 at 17:16. Reason: Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks!
Revvliner22 is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 15:48   #11492
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,987
Thanked: 5,145 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
Hello,
Thank you for your inputs on the same. I would surely try an all led setup before switching to projectors.
P.s- Any specific reason to stick to 4300k?
Because 4300K offers the best illumination under different weather conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
LEDs in the fog lamps will surely improve the illumination but will also cause too much glare for the oncoming traffic. I do not think it is a good option.
Not really. It depends on the type of LED . If it is blob/SMD type then it might. With the modern CSP/Flip LED's, the glare is minimal and not blinding at all. Using CSP LED's in fogs on our Tiago(4300K) and i20(5500K) and the glare is pretty minimal .
sagarpadaki is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 15:53   #11493
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: DL 09
Posts: 94
Thanked: 118 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Not really. It depends on the type of LED . If it is blob/SMD type then it might. With the modern CSP/Flip LED's, the glare is minimal and not blinding at all. Using CSP LED's in fogs on our Tiago(4300K) and i20(5500K) and the glare is pretty minimal .
I thought the fog lamp reflectors don't have any pre defined illumination zone. They reflect the light all over the place even with a halogen bulb.
My experience says otherwise. I leave for home at about 8 pm almost everyday and see a lot of car with the LED/HID bulbs in the fog lamps. The HID completely blind everyone but the LED produce less glare. During the monsoon, the glare from the led is really high.
MrBeast is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 16:09   #11494
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,986
Thanked: 5,376 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I don't recommend HID or LED in fog lamps at all. The best option is to go for slightly upgraded halogen lamps.
A few reasons why :
1) High foreground illumination from foglamps reduces your long distance visibility of the eyes (thats how eyes are and if the brightness is higher the pupils contract)
2) the foglamps are by design meant to throw a light till only 3-4m from the car. Even if you put high output leds , the throw will remain as long only (unless you change them to projectors , which changes the fog lamp beam to high beam, which is also a bad idea)
3) fog lamps with bulbs run at 3000k cct and that is ideal for foggy conditions - if you change them to 6500k leds, they will be useless in fog.

So my recommendation is to stick with Halogen for fog lights. If you have projectors in your main beams then you can convert them to 35W 4300k HIDs, that will give you substantial light improvement.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 16:13   #11495
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,940
Thanked: 4,720 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

@MrBeast; I do not see any LED for with colour temperatures in the 2700 - 3000K range. Most are 4000K plus. Wile the rest is fine, they are definitely the best for fog applications.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th July 2019 at 17:11. Reason: typo
sgiitk is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 17:02   #11496
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,236
Thanked: 9,051 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Whatever you do in the name of upgrade when it comes to your car`s lighting, please be ready with a backup plan if things do not go according to your plan, if you feel even one bit unsure that the upgrade has not gone well, keep your emotions aside and please revert to stock fresh bulbs and move on, lights are very important.

(Something similar happened with a friend recently, and I had to revert everything to stock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Not really. It depends on the type of LED . If it is blob/SMD type then it might. With the modern CSP/Flip LED's, the glare is minimal and not blinding at all. Using CSP LED's in fogs on our Tiago(4300K) and i20(5500K) and the glare is pretty minimal .
Fog lamps are placed too low to the ground to provide a proper beam spread for use as a main beam, even if you get them changed to a different projector set up, the height at which light source is placed matters a lot in terms of how far the beam would go.

Any projector swap must be done inside the headlamp enclosure itself, that way proper forward tilt can be maintained, this is essential to reduce glare.

Headlamps need to be placed at a certain minimum height for them to be effective, else cars like Harrier, Hector etc would have integrated the headlamp into the Fog lamp enclosure itself to improve the looks even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
Projectors+HID kit in fog lamps surely improves throw and brightness than stock. The projectors as compared to regular housing will provide a better spread and uniformity in lightning.
It would just make it really bright, thats about it. Oh by the way, swapping stock Fog lamp for a projector setup with super bright HID will ensure that actual Fog lamp is not there to use when needed. Its designed to be less bright & more tilted forward for a reason, it works better in actual Fog that way. Safety first!
Kosfactor is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 17:11   #11497
BHPian
 
Revvliner22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Thane
Posts: 31
Thanked: 23 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Fog lamps are placed too low to the ground to provide a proper beam spread for use as a main beam, even if you get them changed to a different projector set up, the height at which light source is placed matters a lot in terms of how far the beam would go.
Hello, so swapping to projectors+HID would completely ruin the purpose of fog lamps. Hence, sticking to halogen would be best? Or else adding a led with a 3000k temp would do the trick ?

Last edited by aah78 : 8th July 2019 at 17:17. Reason: Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks!
Revvliner22 is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 17:34   #11498
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 12,351
Thanked: 21,369 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
Or else adding a led with a 3000k temp would do the trick ?
LED's do not come in 3000k range. It is available only in 6500k
a4anurag is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 17:43   #11499
BHPian
 
Revvliner22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Thane
Posts: 31
Thanked: 23 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
LED's do not come in 3000k range. It is available only in 6500k
Okay. So 6500k means only white light. Either I switch to led or stay stock with halogen, there is in between.
Revvliner22 is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 18:27   #11500
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 502
Thanked: 561 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
Either I switch to led or stay stock with halogen, there is in between.
I believe they provide a yellow glass cap that can make the output yellow if one desires. Mine had it but I did not use it.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 20:11   #11501
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,236
Thanked: 9,051 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
Hello, so swapping to projectors+HID would completely ruin the purpose of fog lamps. Hence, sticking to halogen would be best? Or else adding a led with a 3000k temp would do the trick ?
Yes , stock fog lamps are better left alone.

Making the fog lamps brighter will cause more glare and not much else. A projector setup inside the headlamp or a pair of Hellas for highway driving will help. If you are on a budget a 90/100 halogen upgrade with necessary relays and wiring will work well. Just make sure you use Philips original.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 21:22   #11502
BHPian
 
Revvliner22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Thane
Posts: 31
Thanked: 23 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Yes , stock fog lamps are better left alone.

Making the fog lamps brighter will cause more glare and not much else. A projector setup inside the headlamp or a pair of Hellas for highway driving will help. If you are on a budget a 90/100 halogen upgrade with necessary relays and wiring will work well. Just make sure you use Philips original.
Hello,
Thanks for your inputs. I do have 90/100 halogen along with the relay setup but it didnít help much.
Revvliner22 is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 21:30   #11503
BHPian
 
Revvliner22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Thane
Posts: 31
Thanked: 23 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I believe they provide a yellow glass cap that can make the output yellow if one desires. Mine had it but I did not use it.
Yup, The yellow sticker/cap will make a yellow output and it will also cut some little light
Revvliner22 is offline  
Old 8th July 2019, 22:00   #11504
BHPian
 
Mr. Nobody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 503
Thanked: 582 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
LED's do not come in 3000k range. It is available only in 6500k
Not entirely true, these days you can get LEDs in 3000k, 4300k as well without any film coating for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I don't recommend HID or LED in fog lamps at all. The best option is to go for slightly upgraded halogen lamps.
A few reasons why :
1) High foreground illumination from foglamps reduces your long distance visibility of the eyes (thats how eyes are and if the brightness is higher the pupils contract)
2) the foglamps are by design meant to throw a light till only 3-4m from the car. Even if you put high output leds , the throw will remain as long only (unless you change them to projectors , which changes the fog lamp beam to high beam, which is also a bad idea)
3) fog lamps with bulbs run at 3000k cct and that is ideal for foggy conditions - if you change them to 6500k leds, they will be useless in fog.

So my recommendation is to stick with Halogen for fog lights. If you have projectors in your main beams then you can convert them to 35W 4300k HIDs, that will give you substantial light improvement.
Agree, most people shove in a bunch of leds and light bars that light up so much area near the car that your distant vision deteriorates. Projectors installed in headlamps are the ideal option as they have foreground limiters as well to lessen the light directly near car. Projectors in fog lamps cannot have foreground limiters as they are too low. People install ultra bright lights that fill this up and keep it on always while it is supposed to be used only on low speed conditions where distance vision isn't required. eg. foggy conditions or on broken roads where you need to negotiate craters slowly.

LEDs in fogs arent that bad actually, mine arent ultra bright and cause no glare as they are the CSP chip type. They really help light up road corners and stock bulbs were useless in fogs and otherwise previously. This is ofcourse personal experience in my Grand i10 reflectors.

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 8th July 2019 at 22:03.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 09:33   #11505
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,236
Thanked: 9,051 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvliner22 View Post
Hello,
Thanks for your inputs. I do have 90/100 halogen along with the relay setup but it didnít help much.
If possible take the vehicle to the authorized service center and align the headlights using the aiming chart for that specific vehicle. They do get misaligned after sometime. The bulbs themselves may have a life of around 200 hours.

I use stock wattage halogens , but I notice slight variations on the beam cutoff after replacing new ones sometimes(DIY), which is around 200 hours of using them, had to get them realigned and they are very effective afterwards.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks