Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2015, 14:46   #9256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Choose 4300k or max 6000k. Best if you can use in a projector.
If using it directly, then the beam will spread, and likely to get caught ..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:53   #9257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allien936 View Post
I am thinking of switching to HIDs...
Any modification done to any vehicle is illegal. Period. So, you're on your own if you decide to use a higher wattage incandescent bulbs or LEDs or HIDs or add aux lamps in addition to whatever lighting that the vehicle came with.

That's about the legal side. 4300k colour temperature is the most suited for vision, if your intention is to see better. Higher colour temperatures cause glare and are practically useless in even light rain or foggy conditions - it's simple physics at work. A lower colour temperature would have a yellow tinge, and would let you see better.

HIDs in headlamps designed for halogen bulbs may not give you the best output, and high chances that you'd end up with a very bright foreground and little throw. Adding projectors is the way to go.
Old 27th August 2015, 17:05   #9258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
The HIDs are 35w 4300k. I thought that the stock fogs are 35w, are they even less than 35w?

I will look for powerful halogens (for foglamps) or branded HIDs as I use foglamps + parking lights mostly in late evening/city drives. I will remove these HIDs when I get a suitable upgrade. Currently at aftermarket shops, I am getting the following options -

1. P8 HIDs for around 8k.
2. LED Fogs for around 6k. (Flimsy built)
3. Powerful (i.e. around 55 or 60w) halogens with upgraded wiring. This will cost under 3k.

What do you think would be a good upgrade? I do atleast 2 hour night drive almost everyday with foglamps on. Also suggest worthy bulbs for Option 3.

Got the power windows checked for any problems in functioning, and they are working fine. The only problem I can find is that the HIDs are consuming battery (during startup as well) more than the halogens.
Hi Vin11,

I am using 55w bulb in my fog lamp from last 1 year without any extra wiring or relay.
My car is Ertiga whose foglamp has stock 35w bulb. I have upgraded them with 55w.

Till now i do not have any issue. I am using fog lamp everyday.

I believe 55w bulb in fog lamp should not have any impact on wiring.
Old 27th August 2015, 18:29   #9259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
My Civic came with a 35W Halogen in fog, I replaced it with a 55W HID, and have had no issues whatsoever. I think the basic car wiring is at least 10A, ie 120W! I have no relays etc. in my system.
Old 28th August 2015, 10:16   #9260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My Civic came with a 35W Halogen in fog, I replaced it with a 55W HID, and have had no issues whatsoever. I think the basic car wiring is at least 10A, ie 120W! I have no relays etc. in my system.
Correct Sir,

I have upgraded all the exterior lights of my Ertiga.

Fog lamp: 55w (35w was the stock setup )
Head Lamp: 100/90w (55w was the stock setup )
: This setup has proper relay and ceramic holder.

Auxiliary lamp: 2 lamps(110w, 55w each)
: Setup has proper relay and wiring from an experienced guy.

The total cost is less than 5000 rupees.

My future upgradation is projector with HID for headlamp.

Last edited by KALINGA : 28th August 2015 at 10:17.
Old 28th August 2015, 17:25   #9261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Did you check the alternator?
No. I got the HIDs removed and the problem is solved now. The problem is that I have a trip lined up this weekend and can't manage without foglamps. Looking into the 55w halogen option.

Quote:
Hi Vin11,

I am using 55w bulb in my fog lamp from last 1 year without any extra wiring or relay.
My car is Ertiga whose foglamp has stock 35w bulb. I have upgraded them with 55w.

Till now i do not have any issue. I am using fog lamp everyday.

Thanks for the reply. Can you give details about the brand, cost and effectiveness of the 55w bulbs? I think foglamp rating and wiring (?) are same for Ertiga and Swift. If so, then I might consider getting 55w halogens with better wiring, if needed.

And for how many hours do you use the foglamps? Did you face any issue with the foglamp glass/lens?

Quote:
I assume HID would have come with their own wiring, which would eliminate the need of fiddling with the stock wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,

I own 2014 Verna diesel with projectors. From Day 1 i have been complaining about the throw. its not at all adequate. After beam adjustment at service its kind of ok but not upto the mark. I do lot of highway driving and even my friend on driver's seat complained about the headlights.

Now showroom is suggesting me to change the bulbs. They are also scaring me to change to anything else which might go against the warranty.

Can someone help with this issue. How can i improve the light brightness without compromising the warranty.

Will HIDs be better option. Need details please.
You should check the lighting of other Vernas also and then compare. If yours is a one-off case, then you may claim a replacement. If not, then go to an aftermarket shop (or even the ASS) and ask them to put better bulb (with higher rating ~90-100w) in one of the headlights. If you see an improvement, then get those bulbs.

HIDs will solve the brightness problem but will cost much more than a normal bulb upgrade. One question, you are talking about the Verna 4S facelift, right?
Old 28th August 2015, 17:51   #9262
BANNED

Quote:

I assume HID would have come with their own wiring, which would eliminate the need of fiddling with the stock wiring.
Plug the power lead into the ballast (you may have to change the connector), then the lamp into ballast with the cable and off you go. Just watch out, you should have a CANBUS enabled ballast. The ballast(s) will have to be fixed somewhere,
Old 28th August 2015, 22:42   #9263
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Can you give details about the brand, cost and effectiveness of the 55w bulbs? I think foglamp rating and wiring (?) are same for Ertiga and Swift. If so, then I might consider getting 55w halogens with better wiring, if needed.

And for how many hours do you use the foglamps? Did you face any issue with the foglamp glass/lens?
Hi Vin11

I am using my fog lamp continuously.
Almost 1 hr everyday evening.
Those bulbs are almost more than 1 year old.
Still did not have any issue with them.

I bought those bulbs from local market in pune.

price is just 300 rupees for a pair.
Old 29th August 2015, 03:47   #9264
BHPian

Quote:
Correct Sir,

I have upgraded all the exterior lights of my Ertiga.

Fog lamp: 55w (35w was the stock setup )
Head Lamp: 100/90w (55w was the stock setup )
: This setup has proper relay and ceramic holder.

Auxiliary lamp: 2 lamps(110w, 55w each)
: Setup has proper relay and wiring from an experienced guy.

The total cost is less than 5000 rupees.

My future upgradation is projector with HID for headlamp.
Hi Kalinga,
Since you are from Pune, can you please share that which accessories shop you prefer for your lighting needs and for other mods as well.
And I am also planning for projector head lamps for my duster, I already have installed Osram Hids (4300K) for my low beams which I feel is not performing to its 100% without projector head lamps.
Any recommendations for projector headlamps?
Old 31st August 2015, 19:38   #9265
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I own 2014 Verna diesel with projectors. From Day 1 i have been complaining about the throw. its not at all adequate. After beam adjustment at service its kind of ok but not upto the mark. I do lot of highway driving and even my friend on driver's seat complained about the headlights.

Now showroom is suggesting me to change the bulbs. They are also scaring me to change to anything else which might go against the warranty.

Can someone help with this issue. How can i improve the light brightness without compromising the warranty.

Will HIDs be better option. Need details please.
Bumping my query. Can someone please help?
Old 31st August 2015, 23:40   #9266
BHPian

UPDATE -

I got a good deal on a pair of P8 HIDs from a local shop. The stock was a bit old and unable to find much buyers, the shop owner agreed to give a discount on this kit. It is working flawlessly now, the intensity and colour feels much better than in my earlier kit. Specs - 35W, 6000k, H8.

Quote:
Plug the power lead into the ballast (you may have to change the connector), then the lamp into ballast with the cable and off you go. Just watch out, you should have a CANBUS enabled ballast. The ballast(s) will have to be fixed somewhere,
You got it wrong sir. Sorry for my poor English skills. I meant that HIDs eliminate the need for change in wiring as the installation kit includes upgraded wiring and relays, and you had said in some post that you have been using 55W HID in 35W foglamp without relay.

Quote:
Hi Vin11

I am using my fog lamp continuously.
Almost 1 hr everyday evening.
Those bulbs are almost more than 1 year old.
Still did not have any issue with them.

I bought those bulbs from local market in pune.

price is just 300 rupees for a pair.
Thanks for the clarification Kalinga. I have bought P8 HID kit for now and feel satisfied with the output. I will try to post some snaps and a short review after a planned long trip next weekend. I drive 2.5 hours (upto 5 hours some times) at night and somehow the halogens couldn't impress me.

Quote:
Bumping my query. Can someone please help?
I did reply in Post 9261.
Old 2nd September 2015, 00:16   #9267
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried lamps from Speedwav ?

I am looking for Fog lamp assembly for my A-Star. I need the housing plates also.
Old 2nd September 2015, 00:29   #9268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

I am looking for Fog lamp assembly for my A-Star. I need the housing plates also.
Rather than looking at stuff from cheaper alternatives, why not try the below website?

http://www.motrpart.in/

Hopefully you get what you are looking for.
Old 2nd September 2015, 07:24   #9269
Distinguished - BHPian

Anurag, thanks. But the site does not have it.

This one from Speedwav is not about good looks. There are 2 alternatives to the OE - Annexe and Speedwav. OE is not great they say - so was hoping either of these would be a little better.
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:02   #9270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

My friend had tried Speedwav foglamps for his Alto (2009). He had ordered online and it came with all the bits and pieces to fit on the car. The lens had a slight (very light) blue-ish tint to it and gradually turned yellow in an year. Plus, water entering the housing was a common problem in the rains/water wash. He had got it for around 600 bucks, without the bulbs.

I suggest you to go the OEM way, or buy after inspecting the built and material (especially of the lenses) closely.
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks