Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 13:20   #2296
BHPian

what is 5000K ? you need to tell the wattage of the bulbs 55/60 or 90/100 or something similar. Did you get a relay installed ?
Old 31st October 2008, 13:39   #2297
BHPian

I think Sukrit is using Philips Diamond vision 55/60w. I have used it only for 7 days! Very poor light compared to other white bulbs like Narva. And yes, Diamond vision says its 5000K to give you genuine HID experience!
Old 31st October 2008, 13:42   #2298
BHPian

Sukrit7/Shashank - 5000k is Kelvin - Kelvin is the measurement of the color temperature that a light produces. A lower temperature indicates a warmer light that would be more yellow, while higher temperature would indicate a cooler light that has more blue in color appearance. Stock bulbs are around 3500K

So like Shashank said Whats the wattage on the bubls and have you fitted a relay?

Also the Baleno and Esteem's were always known to have weak OEM Headlights.

As some people have on this forum - Look at installing HID lights. Expensive but effective.

Ultimatechamp - I am still working on your prices. Because i am not in Pune its a little harder.

Check out this website - Just shows the colour tempretures.
Color Temperature of H4 Bulbs | Ruhani Rabin

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 31st October 2008 at 13:43.
Old 31st October 2008, 14:37   #2299
BHPian

One quick question. Can HID lights be installed in the stock headlamp assembly of swift. Or is it a must to have projector setup for them.

The corolla which is launched lately has HID but I do not think it has projectors.

Correct me if I am wrong. HID bulbs are basically xenon bulbs in standard H4, H7 fitment.
But xenon lights havea a different fitting and with projectors then they becomes xenon headlights.
Old 31st October 2008, 15:05   #2300
Team-BHP Support

shyam, technically you can fit in Xenon's in ordinary reflectors.
But the problem is glare for oncoming cars.
Headlamp reflectors are designed to focus a halogen bulbs. Therefore the optics are such that they take into account the filament(the part which glows) shape of the Halogen bulb, and then focus that light into a beam which falls on the road, and is beneficial to you.
However, when you fit in Xenon, the part which glows is a semi circular(or rather semi-elliptical) arc, and not like a halogen filament.
So a large part of the light gets thrown around, or scattered.
This means blinding for other drivers even when on low beam.
So a good option is to fit either in fog lamps where xenons will be closer to ground and not blind other drivers, or get projectors.
Projectors are designed to focus the arc source light on the road, so you get amazing visibility without blinding anyone else.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:36   #2301
BHPian

Typo in my earlier post. Please read this one.

Tsk, thanks for the reply. I fully understood your point.

I have a question, I just saw the corolla and it had a H7 type HID bulb fitted on a standard reflector. It only had an auto levelleing device in front. The swift also has the same. That is the reason I was prompted to ask this question.

The second reason to ask the question is now HID bulbs are now available in standard fitments like H7, H4, H11 etc. If projector setup is reqd then why are companies making HID bulbs in these standards?

I am not sure but according to law you need auto levelling device and head lamp washers to fit HID.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:52   #2302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshyamsundar View Post
I have a question, I just saw the corolla and it had a H7 type HID bulb fitted on a standard reflector. It only had an auto levelleing device in front. The swift also has the same. That is the reason I was prompted to ask this question.

The second reason to ask the question is now HID bulbs are now available in standard fitments like H7, H4, H11 etc. If projector setup is reqd then why are companies making HID bulbs in these standards?

I am not sure but according to law you need auto levelling device and head lamp washers to fit HID.
Head lamp washers are not mandatory, but head lamp levelers are mandatry by law for all cars
As for H7 H4, that refers to the type of bulb socket, or bulb.
Where high low beam is provided by single bulb, you have H4, and for smaller fog lamp type housings H7 is used etc.,
Projector is the mechanism which focusses the light.
For example you can have a projector fitted on a H7, H4 or H3 type of bulb, and you can have a projector for a Halogen too, eg Sonata(old)

Companies make HIDs, they are not concerned how you use them. After all its money making for them.
To get full potential of HIDs a projector is a must, otherwise you will blind oncoming traffic, irrespective of the car(unless you are fitted way low, like in fog lamp housing)
Old 31st October 2008, 19:03   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post

Ultimatechamp - I am still working on your prices. Because i am not in Pune its a little harder.
No problemo,I do have time on my side.
Old 31st October 2008, 20:18   #2304
BHPian

Today went to Lamington Road in the hope of picking up the Osram 50% for my Swift. But no shops had it, and on the contrary dissuaded me saying you will only get duplicates.
I was finally brainwashed by a Sardarji into purchasing the Philips 90/100 W yellow light bulbs (Rs. 300 a pair). He confidently stated that without relay cutouts I will find difference in intensity of light.
In the evening I got it installed from a Maruti A.S.S. electrician. He said the opposite stating that no difference will be felt in comparison to the stock bulbs. Anyway I went ahead with the replacement. Found some improvement in the quality.
But I am a bit worried with the heat generated. The headlight covers are getting hot even at low beam.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:28   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Today went to Lamington Road in the hope of picking up the Osram 50% for my Swift. But no shops had it, and on the contrary dissuaded me saying you will only get duplicates.
I was finally brainwashed by a Sardarji into purchasing the Philips 90/100 W yellow light bulbs (Rs. 300 a pair). He confidently stated that without relay cutouts I will find difference in intensity of light.
In the evening I got it installed from a Maruti A.S.S. electrician. He said the opposite stating that no difference will be felt in comparison to the stock bulbs. Anyway I went ahead with the replacement. Found some improvement in the quality.
But I am a bit worried with the heat generated. The headlight covers are getting hot even at low beam.
Boss! relay is not for getting more light, but protecting your wiring and circuits that are not designed to handle the increased current requirements of 100/90. Get a relay fixed if you hare using 100/90 instead of stock.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:16   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Boss! relay is not for getting more light, but protecting your wiring and circuits that are not designed to handle the increased current requirements of 100/90. Get a relay fixed if you hare using 100/90 instead of stock.
Ditto! Get a relay fitted pronto so that you don't get into trouble when you would need your lights the most. Relay to get more/less light is pure bakwaas.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:24   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Sukrit7/Shashank - 5000k is Kelvin - Kelvin is the measurement of the color temperature that a light produces. A lower temperature indicates a warmer light that would be more yellow, while higher temperature would indicate a cooler light that has more blue in color appearance. Stock bulbs are around 3500K

So like Shashank said Whats the wattage on the bubls and have you fitted a relay?

Also the Baleno and Esteem's were always known to have weak OEM Headlights.

As some people have on this forum - Look at installing HID lights. Expensive but effective.

Check out this website - Just shows the colour tempretures.
Color Temperature of H4 Bulbs | Ruhani Rabin

thankyou for replying. It says (12342) h4 12v 60/55w. no, there is no relay installed. Everything is default. What can i do now to improve brightness, should i get something else ?
Old 1st November 2008, 00:14   #2308
BHPian

Sukrit7, get a relay fixed and go for 100/90w bulb. The brightness will be much much better with 100/90 bulbs.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:23   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
thankyou for replying. It says (12342) h4 12v 60/55w. no, there is no relay installed. Everything is default. What can i do now to improve brightness, should i get something else ?
You don't need a relay for the existing set-up of 60/55W bulbs,but you sure do need one for going on higher wattage bulbs for getting more illumination.The 5000K is a marketing gimmick,hope you have a faint idea of that by now.
Old 1st November 2008, 11:19   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
You don't need a relay for the existing set-up of 60/55W bulbs,but you sure do need one for going on higher wattage bulbs for getting more illumination.The 5000K is a marketing gimmick,hope you have a faint idea of that by now.
thanku again. yes, i realize quite well how much of a gimmick it is. I cant manage with this, it's impossible, and everything is the same as the stock bulbs. What do you recommend for me, nothing very expensive. just enough for me to see please. thanks.

Most Viewed