Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 11:30   #5656
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Is it true that all car lights have to become LED in a few years? When?

Its a fact that many OEM's are after for a good LED lighting systems and some are already achieved this like Audi R8 V10, but at a premium of $5000/ extra.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-2010audir852v10fsiquattroledheadlightanddaytimerunninglightphoto296518s520x318.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-2010audir8ledheadlighttechdeptlabeled1280photo294035scdgallery.jpg

2010 Audi R8 LED Headlights - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

BMW is already on the laser track which has got better aspects in lighting than LEDs.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-302071.jpeg

BMW claims that the system is 1,000 times brighter and 100 times smaller than traditional LED lighting while being twice as efficient. The system is said to have an average life span of around 10,000 hours. Note that normal life span of a halogen is just 1000hrs and HID is 3000hrs.

I guess this will be a milestone for electric/hibrid vehicles where the power consumption in lighting systems are a big issue in those.

BMW to offer laser headlights within next few years

BMW tests '1,000 times brighter' laser headlights

Check Out the First Photos of BMW's Laser Headlights - Tested

Lets wait for an affordable price when it comes for commercial production.

Last edited by sajjt : 16th November 2011 at 11:35.
sajjt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 13:40   #5657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
My friend has it in his Vista.Although the wiring is good enough but you never know. To be on the safer side (especially if your car is in warranty - it may get void if the wires are damaged) you should install the relay.Even otherwise it is highly advisable to go in for it.
Thanks K2max, I was convinced of the fact that a relay needs to be fixed, but when BOSH service told me that we could not fix them in Vista, is when/why I posted here. Thanks again for the confirmation. Will now hunt for a service center where we can get this done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Firstly I dont quite understand how you can put a 90/100 on a Vista. I say this because the Vista has a two bulb,H1 (high beam) and H7 (low beam) setup. the 90/100 (or 100/90 as it is called) refers to a H4 bulb. You just cannot replace the H1 or H7 with a H4, because the holders are different.
Thanks a lot torquecure, Sorry! I missed out on that detail, both H1 and H7 were replaced.

20A relay is in the Vista for sure, we confirmed it from the manual.

You have given me some amazing facts to look at, thanks for the gyan. Will remove it asap and make the necessary changes. Will keep you all posted on the changes soon.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th November 2011 at 08:07.
Old 16th November 2011, 13:46   #5658
BHPian

Has anybody here ordered and installed these HID projector headlamps : eshop.ktautopart.com/car-hid-projectors/headlamp-hid-projector.html

I tried searching, but wasn't getting any hits. From the description it looks like it has both hi/lo beam in one and also to install it, I'm guessing one would have to open the headlamp unit with a heat gun etc. and then seal it back, as the whole unit won't fit through the usual hole at the back.

Any suggestions and opinions on if this is worth it? I don't want to use HID's without projectors and this looked good.

Also, what about a civic which has different bulbs for hi and lo. How will it work in that case? Thanks in advance.
Old 16th November 2011, 15:32   #5659
BHPian

Guys, I got lumax fog lamps installed on my santro xing from a local mechanic, but after a year, the original fog lamp switch stopped working, The service center folks told me that the wiring and the switch has melted due to the heat and improper wiring and replacing the switch will cause it to melt again after sometime.

The fog lamp set up has no kind of relay or a fuse and i think the power is derived from a power line which is connected to the dash board lights, because when ever i turn the fog lights on, the speedometer lights dim down.

Is there a proper method to install fog lamps?
Old 16th November 2011, 15:36   #5660
BANNED

I got the OE fogs installed by the dealer when I bought the car (I negotiated thse as part of the discount). Is now 5 years + and I have had no issues. It is all a matter of the wattage. I think mine are 35W. If there is a problem then a simple relay with the switch only powering the relay will do!
Old 16th November 2011, 15:44   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Black12rr: Any updates on the DRL and its install. I too am planning on buying one, hence wanted to know your experience on the same.
DRLs are bright , but the reflectors inside point light straight ,so if you look from an angle they are not bright .I have still not attached them since I did not get time , but just connected to parking lights to see if they are not DOA .Will post pictures when I fix them .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 01:46   #5662
BHPian

I am using Philips 90/100 with additional cut out relay on my Chevy Beat.
While I am satisfied with the low beam, I am not very happy with the high beam.
It does not have adequate spread despite being bright.

So i am looking for a bulb upgrade now. And I have become a fan of white light.
I am looking at something that emits white light and provides better visibility than my Philips 90/100.

I am a dummy here and I am so confused about all the crystal vision, diamond vision, extreme vision, nightbreaker plus, etc..
Guys! Please help me get clarified! What is the bulb that i should be getting?
Old 17th November 2011, 04:17   #5663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post

I am looking at something that emits white light and provides better visibility than my Philips 90/100.

I am a dummy here and I am so confused about all the crystal vision, diamond vision, extreme vision, nightbreaker plus, etc..

Beam spread does not depend upon the bulb but on the reflector and lens design. Irrespective of the bulb you put your spread will not change.

White light looks good but is not very helpful in terms of visibility esp in fog, rain etc.
However, if you want to go for white light be advised that it is similar to a yellow bulb only with a Blue tint on the bulb, which actually reduces the available light.
A couple of pages back a Bhpian has posted his review of a bulb on his City.
Old 17th November 2011, 04:28   #5664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post

Are you using the normal phllips 90\100 bulbs?
crystal vision and all are 60W halogens,and would be less bright than 100/90.
I recommend that you go in for 100/90 phillips essential vision,these cost 300 per bulb,and has a sky blue tint,that provides proper while(read bright light).
Old 17th November 2011, 06:22   #5665
Distinguished - BHPian

@Akshay, before you do anything else, get your head-lights focussed. I have faced this problem, and correcting the focus has helped.
Old 18th November 2011, 00:38   #5666
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys! I've converted all of my Hyundai i20's tail, interior, front position and all indicator lights to LEDs, except for the front Headlamps and foglamps which are still halogens!

This LED conversion has taken a huge load off the alternator and battery and now all the lights run cooler, are more vivid in color and give instant response compared delayed activation in case of bulbs!

I wanted to convert my headlamps as well as foglamps to LEDs so I began to search around and I found a few manufacturers like Roadvision and Hamsar Diversco that make projector LED HL modules which can be retrofitted in the headlamp just like a projector headlamp with HIDs

Link - Roadvision :: RV90 Series

Low beam module

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rv90lb.jpg

High beam module

Name:  RV90HB.jpg
Views: 3401
Size:  190.9 KB

I've always been fascinated by LED lighting and the fact that it actually lessens the load on the car's electrical system and produces less heat is even more appealing!

Any idea if this would work? or any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!

btw here's an edit I made just to see how another HL would look on the i20 and as you can see, it looks stunning! Will fabricating it with the LED modules etc. be feasible?

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-i20-led-hl.jpg
Old 18th November 2011, 00:55   #5667
BHPian

I think you'll be better off figuring out something from the Harley Davidson LED lamps.

LED Headlamp and Auxiliary Lamps | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

They're cheaper than Roadvision and ought to be better. I find it surprising that Roadvision sells HID modules for direct replacement. Not many reputed companies do that since its both illegal and dangerous.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 11:18   #5668
Senior - BHPian

@Sohail: I was also gaining info on LED lighting and wanted to start experimenting with my Karizma and the take the plunge with the car. However, most revies I read was that LEDs simply don't work for headlights as plug&play. What you've posted is a different reflector/housing altogether.

Where did you get the LEDs from for the tail lights and indicators?
Old 18th November 2011, 12:24   #5669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I've converted all of my Hyundai i20's ... .. lights to LEDs, except for the front Headlamps and foglamps which are still halogens!

This LED conversion has taken a huge load off the alternator and battery and now all the lights run cooler, are more vivid in color and give instant response compared delayed activation in case of bulbs!
hi Sohail,

how did you measure the decrease in load ? Or is it just based on guidelines that LED's consume less power than regular bulbs.

Also, what did you mean by "more vivid in color". This is a little different than the information I have seen on product literature where the manufacturer has himself claimed that the LED bulbs are not as bright as regular lamps, but are more reliable than normal bulbs.
Old 18th November 2011, 14:40   #5670
BANNED

Look into Sohail's (#5669) link. It says 25W for LEDs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks