Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 20:37   #8416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

May I ask you, what car is this for?
I know the after effects but what is the upper limit one can?!

Car in question for the upgrade, Straight6 only can answer.

Anurag.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:56   #8417
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Car in question for the upgrade, Straight6 only can answer.

Anurag.
With the Wiring Kit installed, 145/100 should not be a problem with the Relay working hard to manage the overload. Remember that with both the high beams together contributing a draw of almost 300 watts and ~25Amps, I can confidently smell burning wires and even a kaput relay over a period of time.

If the question is what is the upper limit - Its not a straight forward answer and depends on a lot of factors and use cases here.

Bottom line - 145/100 is seriously an overkill even if that thought has crossed the mind.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th August 2014 at 20:58.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:59   #8418
BHPian

145/100 is going to generate a hell lot of heat which wont be good for the headlamp components. New relay and wiring kit wont be enough. There are other components in a normal headlamp that will not take such high temperatures, resulting in many problems such as reflector coating damage, smoking of headlamp lens from inside due to fuming plastic components, ruining the headlamp on the long run, etc. These damages are definite. But on the short run he wont face these problems.

About upper limit, it depends on the tolerance and durability of the headlamp assembly right. So it's hard to say unless tried and tested in that particular type of headlamp. But anything above, say 80 watts is going to heat up the electrical terminals so much that it increases the resistance of the contacts which reduces the efficiency of light output. So there is no point adding so much more wattage unless for special purpose (not normal road use) in performance lighting components (not stock headlamps).
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 21:30   #8419
BHPian

And one more important fact is that cost of bulbs + wiring + relay etc are all within 1500-2000 range, but one set of reflectors, i.e Headlight assembly kit will amount to 7000 to 10000 depending on the car. So the obvious fact is that you should stay away from damaging your reflector's chrome insides, even at the cost of foregoing some brightness.

Or like some experienced night drivers suggest, go in for Hellas or Rallye auxillary lights on the bumper if you are adamant on blinding the opposition.
Old 20th August 2014, 21:40   #8420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Upper limit depends on what the manufacturer can produce, and that wattage of a bulb which can run without failing early or exploding, which depends upon materials. Till today I knew that the max one could get was 140/100 from GE. Today I came to know of 145/100. This is definitely not required IMO even in the worst conditions. As mentioned by manufacturer, this is best suited for off road use where conditions may be pitch dark and the obstacles can be totally unexpected.

On the road, these bulbs are unsafe, unreliable as well as unnecessary. I think straight6 was casually asking about the same. That bulb will fry the altos alternator.
Old 20th August 2014, 23:55   #8421
Senior - BHPian

Well I don't think the 20-30 extra watts are going to have a drastic effect on the system compared to the 130's. Besides, in all the years of using these bulbs I've learnt that you can preserve the headlights and maybe others components by not using the headlights when not required.

There's no need to use them when the road is brightly lit with street lights, at stop lights or even until its really dark in the evenings. I see a lot of people with their lights on when not really required. Also, if you use the high beam wisely it helps a great deal towards preservation.

By the way, I've now got the SX4 Zxi and it comes with cover in front of the bulb so I'm guessing it will help. The Flosser bulbs are not available in India I think but the GE are available on Ebay.in and so are the Bosch 130/100 for half the price of the Philips for a pair.

Last edited by straight6 : 21st August 2014 at 00:03.
Old 21st August 2014, 19:36   #8422
BHPian

Can someone give an idea about the heat generated in Celsius by a typical 100/90 bulb ?
I am not asking about the filament temperature which would come around some 2500 C or more.
What I am interested to know is the temperature of the bulb base area metal part which contacts the holder.
The reason why I am asking is because I saw this LED angel eyes on ebay which directly fits on H4 Bulb base by double-sided tape.

Ebay Link:

I was wondering how long the tape would hold on to the base of a 100/90 bulb without melting,since the bulb can get quite hot within a few minutes of usage.
Or is there some special heat-resistant tape they may be using which may not melt easily on the hot bulb base?

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 21st August 2014 at 19:39.
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:04   #8423
BHPian

The SA mentioned that my Figo's right headlight along with the bulb was damaged in a recent accident.

Now, I'm left with a 4 month old single OSRAM H4 nightbreaker plus headlamp. I've searched everywhere online but I'm unable to find an option to purchase a single bulb instead of the usual pack of two. Can anyone guide me where I can find this in Bangalore?

And is there's any difference upgrading to the OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs instead.
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:34   #8424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Did anybody installed Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited ? Its advance version of nightbreaker plus and manufacturer claims 110% increase in brightness. Is this available in India yet ?
IIRC member SS-Traveller has them in his Scorpio, he purchased them from Kolkata. You may PM him to respond to your query.

Quote:
I don't think running on 130/100 will damage the ECU.
You'll need to change the headlamp assembly due to reflector damage. Nothing else I guess.
A look at the wiring and holders too would be needed.

Anurag.
Don't think the reflector to be damaged to a great extent if the 130/100 bulbs are working OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundz View Post
The SA mentioned that my Figo's right headlight along with the bulb was damaged in a recent accident.

Now, I'm left with a 4 month old single OSRAM H4 nightbreaker plus headlamp. I've searched everywhere online but I'm unable to find an option to purchase a single bulb instead of the usual pack of two. Can anyone guide me where I can find this in Bangalore?

And is there's any difference upgrading to the OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs instead.
These bulbs are sold in pairs only. About NB unlimited I've already mentioned that SST is using them, don't know the price.
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:59   #8425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
About NB unlimited I've already mentioned that SST is using them, don't know the price.
Around 2k: http://epitstop.in/search/-depid--1-...-1-page-1.html
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:24   #8426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
IIRC member SS-Traveller has them in his Scorpio, he purchased them from Kolkata. You may PM him to respond to your query.

Don't think the reflector to be damaged to a great extent if the 130/100 bulbs are working OK.

These bulbs are sold in pairs only. About NB unlimited I've already mentioned that SST is using them, don't know the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks. Just managed to get a single one for 600 from the Auto Shop in Kormangala. Finally night driving is fun again!

Also regarding the NB unlimited, any noticeable differences from NB plus?
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:37   #8427
BHPian

Guys, is a bulb upgrade possible for the rapid.

It has projector low beam and normal high beam.

Pls suggest.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:17   #8428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundz View Post
Also regarding the NB unlimited, any noticeable differences from NB plus?
OSRAM Night Breaker Plus
Up to 90% more light compared to a standard bulb
Up to 10% whiter light than a standard bulb
Up to 35m longer light beam compared to a standard bulb
Colour temperature: up to 3700K

OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited
Up to 110% more light compared to a standard bulb
Up to 20% whiter light than a standard bulb
Up to 40m longer light beam compared to a standard bulb
Colour temperature: up to 4000K
Old 23rd August 2014, 01:15   #8429
BHPian

Here are the pictures of the new headlamp cluster on my Estilo.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-cymera_20140822_150654.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-cymera_20140822_150812.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-cymera_20140822_151121.jpg

Sorry for the delay guys!
No doubt the throw and focus of the light is proper now. The confidence of driving at nights has gained steeply!
Have switched to Philips Xtreme Vision from Philips Rally 90/100W. Hope they don't burn the reflectors now! The old ones had become a joke!

Last edited by nishantdlv : 23rd August 2014 at 01:19.
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:41   #8430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Guys, is a bulb upgrade possible for the rapid.

It has projector low beam and normal high beam.

Pls suggest.
The low beam projector must be having halogen bulb. In such case you can change it to HID with kit and the lighting will improve. For the high beam you can have NB unlimited or Philips XV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
Have switched to Philips Xtreme Vision from Philips Rally 90/100W. Hope they don't burn the reflectors now! The old ones had become a joke!
No question of burning the reflectors with Philips XV, but these bulbs have a shorter life than normal halogens. So you may keep a spare set in case you travel out of town and do night driving.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks