Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2015, 14:21   #8911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Looks pretty overpriced. The hella wiring kit costs somewhere around 800 and other brands are even cheaper at 500-600. Also, I noticed that this kit doesn't have the option to replace the relays in case it goes bust. Do check on that. If yes, then carry a spare set of bulbs and relay. I am planning to upgrade my WagonR headlights too so I have an option to choose between hella and my tried trusted roots. The roots comes with replaceable relays.
Agree on the cost part. I discussed this with Anurag when he share the cost too.

Except bulbs which were costing 175 then and between 200 and 250 now the cost of the Relay Kit is more or less same between 800 to 900 with Philips charged on the higher side.

I noticed the quality of wires and Holders with Roots or Hella on better side compared to Philips.

I am surprised the Hella Kit here doesn't have replaceable 30A fuses? Or has Anurag not posted the full picture of it?

Even Philips that I have in Ertiga has replaceable Fuses.

Edit- I do see that he's posted a pic of the Box for the wiring Kit in his ownership update and notice the replaceable Fuses as part of Kit.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th March 2015 at 14:25.
Old 29th March 2015, 19:48   #8912
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hella does have replaceable relays. The part that you see the wires coming from is the relay holder. The relays plug into it and is removable.
Old 29th March 2015, 20:03   #8913
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Also, I noticed that this kit doesn't have the option to replace the relays in case it goes bust.
It does have am option to replace the relays incase they go bust.

I have two spare bulbs already with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Agree on the cost part. I discussed this with Anurag when he share the cost too.

Edit- I do see that he's posted a pic of the Box for the wiring Kit in his ownership update and notice the replaceable Fuses as part of Kit.
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hella does have replaceable relays.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:29   #8914
BANNED

Some time back i bought some Philips LEDs to replace the signal lights of my Swift. You can find the details in the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3452508

The Swift was sold and i bought a new Polo GT TDI recently, and i had with me those LEDs that I had removed from the Swift before i sold it. So today decided to put them to use in the Polo tail lamp cluster. So here it is

The taillamp opened to install the bulb. Only one side photo taken :(
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150403_163646.jpg
  1. Philips W5W 4000K bulb which was in Swift's front parking light used for tail light.
  2. Philips PY21W Amber bulb used as indicators (without load resistors, in the Swift i used load resistors).
  3. Philips P21W White LED which used for reversing lamp. It was doing the same duty in the Swift and Swift had two reversing lights.
  4. On the RHS taillamp assembly i have used the other Philips P21W White LED from the Swift reverse light for fog lights. The fog light portion has a red bubble over the bulb so the white lamp is working better than i had expected it to and i don't have to buy P21W Red for the rear fog light.

Results:

Tail lamp
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150403_193356.jpg

Indicators
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150403_193447_013.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-poloindicatorflashing.gif
Open the ^ gif in another tab to see the animation.

Reverse light - Now its USEFUL! Stock Polo reverse lights are weak.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150403_193710.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150403_193657.jpg

Rear Fog light - Not bad for a white LED
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150403_193537.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150403_193613.jpg

I did the number plate light also, used an ebay LED which is think is 6000K. Not visible in the pics because i blanked out the plates rather shabbily.

Pending LEDfication:
  1. Brake light
  2. Interior lights
  3. Front park lights
  4. Front indicators - Already have the bulb; but waiting to do this together with the W5W park lights when they come as i don't want to take out the lights twice.

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd April 2015 at 20:44.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 00:27   #8915
BHPian

Quote:
Some time back i bought some Philips LEDs to replace the signal lights of my Swift. You can find the details in the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3452508

The Swift was sold and i bought a new Polo GT TDI recently, and i had with me those LEDs that I had removed from the Swift before i sold it. So today decided to put them to use in the Polo tail lamp cluster. So here it is

The taillamp opened to install the bulb. Only one side photo taken :(
Attachment 1356758
  1. Philips W5W 4000K bulb which was in Swift's front parking light used for tail light.
  2. Philips PY21W Amber bulb used as indicators (without load resistors, in the Swift i used load resistors).
  3. Philips P21W White LED which used for reversing lamp. It was doing the same duty in the Swift and Swift had two reversing lights.
  4. On the RHS taillamp assembly i have used the other Philips P21W White LED from the Swift reverse light for fog lights. The fog light portion has a red bubble over the bulb so the white lamp is working better than i had expected it to and i don't have to buy P21W Red for the rear fog light.

Results:

Tail lamp
Attachment 1356759

Indicators
Attachment 1356760
Attachment 1356761
Open the ^ gif in another tab to see the animation.

Reverse light - Now its USEFUL! Stock Polo reverse lights are weak.
Attachment 1356762
Attachment 1356763

Rear Fog light - Not bad for a white LED
Attachment 1356764
Attachment 1356765

I did the number plate light also, used an ebay LED which is think is 6000K. Not visible in the pics because i blanked out the plates rather shabbily.

Pending LEDfication:
  1. Brake light
  2. Interior lights
  3. Front park lights
  4. Front indicators - Already have the bulb; but waiting to do this together with the W5W park lights when they come as i don't want to take out the lights twice.
Fantastic upgrade Shankar. Congrats for the Tdi, i am sure everytime you drive it puts a smile, and every time your leds are on puts a led glimmer in your eyes.

Just had a question on load resistors. How did you manage it, i am sure it is to stop the fast flash or canbus code. Any help would be appreciated coz i want to do the same for my Tdi.
Old 4th April 2015, 03:38   #8916
BHPian

I have an H9 type of Hi-beam which I would like to change to a Hi/Low type so as to get better lighting during low beam operation. Presently the Xenon low beam is not able to light up the road adequately.
Is there a bulb that can be a direct swap with H9 (physically matching the slot in the lamp assembly)? Any drawing/ pictures available would be helpful.
Understand the wiring has to be modified with relays etc. to provide the extra low beam circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag1131.jpg  

Old 4th April 2015, 05:00   #8917
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Fantastic upgrade Shankar. Congrats for the Tdi, i am sure everytime you drive it puts a smile, and every time your leds are on puts a led glimmer in your eyes.

Just had a question on load resistors. How did you manage it, i am sure it is to stop the fast flash or canbus code. Any help would be appreciated coz i want to do the same for my Tdi.
The reason why i was apprehensive in trying out this earlier was because i was worried about canbus error as these LEDs doesn't have the inbuilt load resistors in them. But i'm glad that i finally did it.

The rear taillamp, fog light, reverse light and number plate light i get no errors on the dashboard.

I was expecting the turn signal indicators it to hyperflash like in the Swift* when I put the LEDs without load resistors; but it doesn't in the Polo! In Polo with LEDs the indicators on the outside blink at normal rate. But when turn signals are ON the turn signal marker in dashboard starts blinking at a normal rate and then blinks at a faster rate to indicate a bulb out situation. This is not that much of an irritant so I'm not going to use load resistor now (which will make it canbus error free), instead i will see if there's a way to stop it in vcds tweaks.

*The new Swift also has a BCM controlled turn signal.
Old 4th April 2015, 09:31   #8918
BHPian

Found the right thread. I am thinking of replacing the stock headlights of tjet as I felt they were not adequate at night esp. on highways. Any suggestions / recommendations for more powerful ones pls.
Old 4th April 2015, 10:16   #8919
BHPian

Quote:
The reason why i was apprehensive in trying out this earlier was because i was worried about canbus error as these LEDs doesn't have the inbuilt load resistors in them. But i'm glad that i finally did it.

The rear taillamp, fog light, reverse light and number plate light i get no errors on the dashboard.

I was expecting the turn signal indicators it to hyperflash like in the Swift* when I put the LEDs without load resistors; but it doesn't in the Polo! In Polo with LEDs the indicators on the outside blink at normal rate. But when turn signals are ON the turn signal marker in dashboard starts blinking at a normal rate and then blinks at a faster rate to indicate a bulb out situation. This is not that much of an irritant so I'm not going to use load resistor now (which will make it canbus error free), instead i will see if there's a way to stop it in vcds tweaks.

*The new Swift also has a BCM controlled turn signal.
Philips has a canceller circuit. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P2D...canbus+circuit
Old 4th April 2015, 12:33   #8920
BANNED

Quote:
Philips has a canceller circuit. Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P2D...canbus+circuit
I already have 4 of those (exact same) which came with the Philips py21w amber leds.

I'm against using load resistors because apart from increased brightness and longer life power saving is also one of the major reasons why I like leds. In the swift I had no choice but to use the load resistor stop hyperflash. In the polo it's not hyperflashing so I don't need to use it. As for the dashboard light flashing fast I'll see if something can be done through vcds.

Canbus warning canceller is a fancy name for a resistor
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 15:55   #8921
BHPian

Quote:
I already have 4 of those (exact same) which came with the Philips py21w amber leds.

I'm against using load resistors because apart from increased brightness and longer life power saving is also one of the major reasons why I like leds. In the swift I had no choice but to use the load resistor stop hyperflash. In the polo it's not hyperflashing so I don't need to use it. As for the dashboard light flashing fast I'll see if something can be done through vcds.

Canbus warning canceller is a fancy name for a resistor
I am a noob at this but i know its a load resistor. I'll do it for my Tdi but for scorp i think i may need to use. Not sure do you have the bulb specs for Tdi front and side indicators. Rest i have gathered from your thread. What HLs are you running on Tdi, i plan to upgrade them have mixed feeling between philops xv 130+ or philips rally 90 or 100

Last edited by Ushuaia : 4th April 2015 at 15:58.
Old 4th April 2015, 16:40   #8922
BANNED

Quote:
I am a noob at this but i know its a load resistor. I'll do it for my Tdi but for scorp i think i may need to use. Not sure do you have the bulb specs for Tdi front and side indicators. Rest i have gathered from your thread. What HLs are you running on Tdi, i plan to upgrade them have mixed feeling between philops xv 130+ or philips rally 90 or 100
If the Scorpio turn signals are operated by flasher relay and not bcm you just need to replace the stock relay with a LED flasher relay. This will take care of hyperflash without using resistor.

TDI front indicators looks like they're P21W and can be replaced with PY21W led. Fender Indicators might be W5W, need to check.

I haven't done the headlight bulb upgrade. Mine is double barrel face lift headlamps. I'll upgrade to Osram NB later. But my friend is using 90/100 Osram with Philips relay in his Vento with older type headlight. 90/100 should be ok, I wouldn't recommend 100/130 based on my experience with it in Astar and Swift.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th April 2015 at 16:43.
Old 4th April 2015, 19:45   #8923
BANNED

Quote:
What HLs are you running on Tdi, i plan to upgrade them have mixed feeling between philops xv 130+ or philips rally 90 or 100
Be it any car, best is stock to 100/90W setup. That is the best for both - the cars health and oncoming road users too.

I have just switched to Philips Rally 100/90W setup from Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) which is a great upgrade IMO.

So I suggest to stick to 100/90W setup.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2015 at 17:45. Reason: Typo
Old 4th April 2015, 21:22   #8924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Be it any car, beat is to stock to 100/90W setup. That is the best for both - the cars health and oncoming road users too.

I have just switched to Philips Rally 100/90W setup from Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) which is a great upgrade IMO.

So I suggest to stick to 100/90W setup.
I would upgrade to 100. But another option is GE 80w though need to source it from amazon. One thing that works well in the new Tdi is the depth of the reflector, i would have wanted it a bit deeper for a longer throw. Tried led h7 HL from a friend on my Tdi, works well but need a concentrator other than projector to contain the scatter.
Old 4th April 2015, 23:35   #8925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Found the right thread. I am thinking of replacing the stock headlights of tjet as I felt they were not adequate at night esp. on highways. Any suggestions / recommendations for more powerful ones pls.
I was sailing on the same boat when I had Linea, but later I got used to it and found better after leveling (manually) the head lamps to my convenient zone. I came across 80W bulbs (H1/H7) and matching wiring harness and relays, but I was little afraid I may end up with error notification. So kept away from them. There are members who went for HIDs and Projectors, have a look at them.

Most Viewed