Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2017, 12:46   #10546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep959 View Post
Looking to upgrade my Ciaz Headlamps. Procured H7 100W Osram Bulbs and went to a local electrician. The relay kit he was trying to put was not compatible with the socket available in the car. He said he will have to make cuts, and use the relay he has.

Pls advise, are there any tailormade relay kits available for Ciaz headlamps, so that i can carry out a upgrade without cutting the existing wires?
PMP & Roots makes relay kits for H7 bulbs.

Last edited by straight6 : 15th July 2017 at 12:56.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 18:01   #10547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
PMP & Roots makes relay kits for H7 bulbs.
Thank you for your reply. Im not getting either in Indore. Tried online too but in vain. Can u suggest any alternative? i do not want the electrician to make cuts to the existing wiring, to use the relay kit he has, and do the change.

I found this one in Amazon.
http://www.amazon.in/Speedwav-Headli...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

but again, my electrician feels its not the correct one. im not sure if my Electrician is pulling a fast one on me.

Last edited by sandeep959 : 15th July 2017 at 18:11.
Old 15th July 2017, 19:54   #10548
rbp
BHPian

I have had FXR projectors with OSRAM XENARC bulbs and Morrimotto 35 watts ballast on my i20 for the past 4 years. Recently one of the ballast has stopped working and I am looking for new 35 watts ballast now, I visited evo in bangalore and he showed me some chinese TCX ballast, I wasn't impressed, I contacted retro rides and they only have the 55 watts morrimotto ballasts, I am not interested in the 55 watt one's due to color shifting issues. I am not sure if I should import the morrimotto 35 watts ballast from US, I guess with customs etc the cost might come to 10K. Was wondering if any good ballast are available in India. If anyone here could give me some inputs it would be really helpful
Old 16th July 2017, 15:39   #10549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep959 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Im not getting either in Indore. Tried online too but in vain. Can u suggest any alternative? i do not want the electrician to make cuts to the existing wiring, to use the relay kit he has, and do the change.

I found this one in Amazon.
http://www.amazon.in/Speedwav-Headli...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

but again, my electrician feels its not the correct one. im not sure if my Electrician is pulling a fast one on me.
Call up Automotivesoul at 9868941875 & 9810769966 and they will ship the right one to you.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 22:45   #10550
Distinguished - BHPian

Product review: OSRAM LED Fog lamp 201

Browsing amazon on a random day, I found this product at a very attractive price http://www.amazon.in/Osram-LED-Lamp-...ilpage_o00_s00 which was earlier retailing for around double that price. Having used LED fog lights in my Celerio, I thought of swapping the OE fog lights on the SX4 with this one. Hence, ordered it and it arrived next day:

The product was well packed as usual and I unboxed it.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-13.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-10.jpg

Contents were simple - a pair of lamps with wiring inbuilt, cable ties and instructions.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-14.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-15.jpg

Installation was cakewalk, and this was a true plug and play product and everything was just fitting perfectly. I just had to remove the existing fog lights and install these. To enable access to the fog light assembly, I had to open up the bumper only in its sides near the wheel arch and could finish the work there without having to remove the entire bumper. The OE fog light connector was directly plugged into the connector supplied with the new fog lights. Simple and clean. However, the connection was to be made on one side only, and this light assembly had an output for the other side assembly. I assume that the driver is built on only one side and it powers the LED in series.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-17.jpg

Peculiarly the fog light only works when both the sides are connected. Hence, when I tried to test one side, it didnt turn on until I connected the other side. Shown above is the same, with the other side fog light lying on the floor. Hence, I assumed that the lights are wired up in series.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-16.jpg

Coming to the other side, OSRAM has also provided a blank connector to seal off the unused OE fog light connector to prevent it from getting dirty and unusable

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-18.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-19.jpg

You can see that the unused connector is plugged shut and the OSRAM light installed.

Verdict:

This product is rated at half the power(8W) of the ones on the Celerio. The Celerio has the product equivalent of the OSRAM 101 which is a much powerful and better product. You can see the output for yourself. Nothing great, but a slight improvement over the stock lights. Instead of creating a glaring and unusable beam that the OE bulbs used to give, this one gives a sharp and a focussed beam to illuminate the immediate front and sides of the car.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20.jpg

I am mostly going to return the product and go for the higher variant 201 or its chinese equivalent, which is running in my Celerio well from the past year. Go for it if you want a branded product, high quality but dont have high expectations on improving visibility drastically. Here are the fog lights on my Celerio:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_7438.jpg

Hence, when I compare it side by side, it doesnt impress that much. Perhaps if I did not have the setup on my Celerio, I would have been impressed. But it is definitely better than the stock H8 lights as well as the MGA useless lights that are installed for the same price in cars like the Brezza etc. I will wait for a day or two and run it for some time. Usually in case of my Celerio the light intensity improved after a few hours of use. If it is the same in this case, I will retain it. Else I will return this and seek the help of Aliexpress Upon comparison of the OSRAM and the Chinese brand, I find that the latter is no less in terms of build quality. They use the same components too.

Last edited by audioholic : 16th July 2017 at 22:54.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 09:53   #10551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Product review: [b]OSRAM LED Fog lamp 201
Incidentally I was flagged by another BHPian 10 days before regarding another product (ORSAM LEDriving Fog) which was retailing at 10,449 INR on Amazon and instantly picked it up. I didn't have to assess this product as I had already seen the installation and usage earlier on another car.

What I liked with this product was the controller that would make behave DRL strictly as one without having a jugaad set-up with a switch to turn that one or have the DRLs working alongside the Head/Fog lights too.

It would simply make no justice to call DRL as one when you use that at night with your headlights!

Apart from that, I liked the overall fit and finish of the product itself and more importantly the fact that it fitted perfectly well as a retro-fitment to the OE fog lights which my Ertiga had. No additional wiring or fixtures around the OE Set-up.

What's my take?

The Fog lights are indeed better than the OE H8 35W halogens. When driving at night, One can easily notice brighter spot near the bumper (That's what fogs should do to aide you in Rains and Fog) which was hardly making any difference earlier with the OE fogs.

The DRLs are simply brilliant : Crisp and intense, just about right to drive all day with them. Earlier I had a habit to drive always with my fog lights on but now these DRLs are immensely useful and as I said before, they do their job as DRLs.

Quote:
Contents were simple - a pair of lamps with wiring inbuilt, cable ties and instructions.
In my case, My only grouse was that the signal wires provided should have come with at least the basic protection like sleeves. I realize that this may not have been easy as each car might not require the same length for each of the signal wires but they would have given a roll of sleeves one could slide the wires into during installation.

Quote:
Installation was cakewalk,
Having removed the bumper on earlier occasion it was easy this time too. However, the most difficult part was routing the wire from the OSRAM Kit to power up on ignition.

My earlier plan was to route this through the firewall into the cabin and then use Fuse-Tap that powers up on Ignition. But the Ertiga is the most difficult car when it comes to space inside the bonnet to carry out these tasks. The AC pipes were a hindrance to access the boot to insert any wire at all.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170713_110450.jpg

I then checked each of the fuses located on the Primary Fuse Box present under the hood to locate one of them that would power up on Ignition but unfortunately each of the fuses were always powered.

I then called up the electrician at my ASC who said the white/black wire on the connector that plugs inside the Primary Fuse Box carries Ignition signal and powers up only when the Key is turned ON. I tested this with my good old multimeter and indeed it was confirmed. Used a T-Tap and completed the final wiring and the set-up was ready to use .
Quote:
Coming to the other side, OSRAM has also provided a blank connector to seal off the unused OE fog light connector to prevent it from getting dirty and unusable
Absolutely! I found this very helpful too since one of the fog lamp connectors would always be unused and this cap helped me avoid covering this with a tape or any other material.

Here are a few pictures post installation. Wasn't really something I would have created a detailed thread as many have installed this and wiring is pretty straightforward. The one which was difficult (Ignition) is explained above anyway.

The DRL:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170714_070716.jpg

Fog Lamp:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170714_070749.jpg

The throw from the Fog lamps, adjustment needs to be done which I am yet to complete:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170714_070800.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170714_070737.jpg
Are these useful at all?

Well, let me be brutally honest. The Fog lights are improved but not with a great margin.

Will these aide me on my regular drives at nights on single carriageway unlit roads and ghat sections in rains or fog ? Not really. I am more than just happy with the 100-90 H4 upgrade using which I continue to drive on such roads at usual speeds.

However, I am more than happy with the way this functions : Gives almost an OE Look and the controller supplied with it makes it a very efficient system overall whenever you want to use the DRLs or Fogs.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th July 2017 at 09:55.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 12:17   #10552
BHPian

Re: Yellow 100/90 H4 for Alto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
In fact I've used the Hella 130/90 and found those to be inferior to the Philips Rally 130/100 because their light was whiter even though the glass was clear.
Isn't 100/90 phillips rally light of yellow color? The dealer I called (JK Auto@JC Road) says it emits white light..

Could you please advise, which brand has the yellow light in 100/90 wattage?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2017 at 13:00. Reason: Grammar.
Old 18th July 2017, 13:13   #10553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Isn't 100/90 phillips rally light of yellow color? The dealer I called (JK Auto@JC Road) says it emits white light..

(To my eyes) its neither yellow, nor white. Its more whitish than OEM bulbs/OEM parking bulbs and Its less whitish that Xtreme vision.

color temperature is 3000K as per the bulb cover.

Edit: I have 100/90 Philips Rally on my car

Last edited by arjithin : 18th July 2017 at 13:14.
Old 18th July 2017, 18:16   #10554
BHPian

Hello guys,
I am planning to change my vento headlight bulbs to more powerful 80 or 100W. Mine is a 2014 one with double barrel headlamps. Both high and low beams are powered by H7 bulbs.
After a lot of research on the forum and market, I found a shop selling hella wiring harness kit for H7 H7 configuration at rs. 1099. However the Philips rally bulbs are not available with him but they are priced around 300 bucks for single piece.
Is it worth going for the wiring kit from here and source the bulbs from Ali Express where single 100w h7 bulb is priced at around 80 bucks. Also there are many options available in terms of color (yellow to white).
Initially I'm planning to change only the low beams. The white color looks cool but people have found them less useful under extreme circumstances like heavy rains.
If anyone has changed their lights and has gone through similar options please throw some light.
Thank you.

Last edited by chintu_91 : 18th July 2017 at 18:18.
Old 19th July 2017, 02:24   #10555
BHPian

Quote:

Philips Rally 100/90 bulb's light is certainly not white. It is yellow itself.
If they say it is white, then most probably it is not original Philips.

Philips is one brand whose counterfeit products are more there in the market than original.

Make sure the pack has the hologram and the online authenticity-check code printed on it.
Also see the letters printed on the rim of the bulb-base.
Fake ones usually have blurred looking letters, while genuine Philips ones have very clear & legible letters printed on it.

It is always a safer option to buy Philips bulbs from company authorised outlets.
Old 19th July 2017, 12:43   #10556
Senior - BHPian

Need Expert Advice

So I have just got a headlight projector setup retrofitted in my 2011 VW Polo 1.6. Got the Mini Super V3 projectors with 5000K HID H1 bulbs (55W) and fast start ballasts.
While I am happy with the install, I came across something that did not seem normal to me. While 'flashing' the headlights, I noticed that they flash the high beam (solenoid activated) and then got to low beam before switching off. There is like a half a second delay between the solenoid deactivating and the light switching off. Should it not be that while flashing the solenoid and light get activated and deactivated together?

The installer says this is normal in a H4 set up but I am not really convinced and it isn't appealing to look at during operations.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:17   #10557
BHPian

I have a Passat B6 (2008 model) It currently has halogen lamps which I find extremely inadequate for high-speed highway driving. What are best recommendations for replacement? I primarily need to replace my low-beams but might also replace the high beams if required. Another criterion for me is the cost - I do not want something insanely expensive that will cost me a bomb to replace if it stops working in a few months.
Old 19th July 2017, 18:41   #10558

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Any 2016 duster owner fedup with stock lights and finnaly started using H1 and H7 led setup.
Any feedback or link to product would be very helpful
From what i understand so far with the HL housing and dust cap, duster needs one with flexible heat dessipator a fan would not do.
Hey there,

Did you have any luck with Headlights upgrade for the 2016 Duster. I drive on the highway regularly and the stock Lamps on the Renault are extremely bad when compare to even 90/100 H4 lamps that i have used in other cars.

Is a relay set up with higher wattage bulbs even possible for the lights on the new Duster? Or is LED the only way to go to increase Lumens? Sorry this is my first car with H7 bulbs.

Thanks,

JM
Old 19th July 2017, 19:29   #10559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrmathias View Post
Hey there,

Is a relay set up with higher wattage bulbs even possible for the lights on the new Duster? Or is LED the only way to go to increase Lumens? Sorry this is my first car with H7 bulbs.

Thanks,

JM
Hey
I saw one H1-H7 relay kit for upgrading stock bulbs. I have vento and need H7-H7 kit as both high and low beams are H7 powered bulbs. The dealer had hella company kit in both the configurations. He also had H4 harness in the same brand.
Some cars use H1 and H7 for high and low beams. VW Jetta and vento use both H7 bulbs. These type of wiring harness are difficult to find in the market and most dealers keep unbranded stuff and make insane money.
I don't know which bulbs come with duster. But this should help.
Thanks.
chintu_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 13:32   #10560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Don't listen to those guys. They know nothing about temperatures. This will be around 4300k and you can go for it. Avoid the Hella.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks