Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 16:40   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

Philips, Osram, Narva are the brands I've used/heard of, and are reliable. If you go for 90/100 then a relay is a must.
I understand about relay. But how about the make of bulb, especially GE?
Old 15th May 2008, 16:52   #1682
Senior - BHPian

I've not heard about GE bulbs. Not sure if anyone else has used them. As I mentioned earlier, I've used the 3 brands in my earlier post.
Old 15th May 2008, 17:06   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Important Question.

I have a very important question:
I have people screaming at me that 45W bult does give better light than 65W one. 65W will definately get fused early.
While the bulb fusing part is understood as the 65W bulb will emit more heat, giving less light is not understood.

Can anyone educate me...?

The original Cabiler ( 7.7 bhp ) came with 45W Normal ( i..e not halogen ) bulb. I went ahead to fit in 65W M800 bulb. I was warned that connector willl melt and wires will not be able to take the laod. But 65W halogen worked fine for more than one year.
Can I do the same with Suzuki Zeus? Here also I am warned that the wiring and the connector will not be in a position to support that 60/65W bulb and will melt. But I am simply not satisfied with the present level of lightning offered by my bike. I want to fit in H4 60/65W.
Can I do this. Has anyone earlier tried this?
Help
Old 15th May 2008, 18:29   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I have a very important question:
I have people screaming at me that 45W bult does give better light than 65W one. 65W will definately get fused early.
While the bulb fusing part is understood as the 65W bulb will emit more heat, giving less light is not understood.

Can anyone educate me...?

Can I do the same with Suzuki Zeus? Here also I am warned that the wiring and the connector will not be in a position to support that 60/65W bulb and will melt. But I am simply not satisfied with the present level of lightning offered by my bike. I want to fit in H4 60/65W.
Can I do this. Has anyone earlier tried this?
Help
I'm guessing you are going to do this on a Bike (as you have mentioned Suzuki Zeus)

45W cannot be brighter than 65W.
But in case of a bike, all we have a a small battery and the headlights run off the alternator. In this case simply putting a higher wattage bulb will not gives the desired results. Simply because there is not enough "juice".

Yes you can put a 65W and can make it brighter, this will require as some local shop guys call "flashing" the alternator (costs around 700-1000, what i think they does is to increase the power o/p by re-winding, not sure if this is the right term). This can be done, Yes.

But I know a buddy of mine who has done this and he burned out 3 - 50/55W bulbs till date on his Yamaha RXZ.

Usually this will not require and changes in the wiring and the harness for the bulb unless you plan to use it for extended periods.

You can get a relay installed in the circuit -> "Really recommended as this can save a lot of grief as in burned wires and switches" (any good shop can do that)
and you will be able to find good quality connector and even Ceramic one's (Hard to find and more difficult to get it fixed)

So makes you wonder is it worth all the effort...!

Bottom line : its better to use stock.
Old 15th May 2008, 19:31   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
I'm guessing you are going to do this on a Bike (as you have mentioned Suzuki Zeus)

45W cannot be brighter than 65W.
But in case of a bike, all we have a a small battery and the headlights run off the alternator. In this case simply putting a higher wattage bulb will not gives the desired results. Simply because there is not enough "juice".

Yes you can put a 65W and can make it brighter, this will require as some local shop guys call "flashing" the alternator (costs around 700-1000, what i think they does is to increase the power o/p by re-winding, not sure if this is the right term). This can be done, Yes.

But I know a buddy of mine who has done this and he burned out 3 - 50/55W bulbs till date on his Yamaha RXZ.

Usually this will not require and changes in the wiring and the harness for the bulb unless you plan to use it for extended periods.

You can get a relay installed in the circuit -> "Really recommended as this can save a lot of grief as in burned wires and switches" (any good shop can do that)
and you will be able to find good quality connector and even Ceramic one's (Hard to find and more difficult to get it fixed)

So makes you wonder is it worth all the effort...!

Bottom line : its better to use stock.
When I did this conversion in Caliber, it was without any of alternator changes or wires.The light was more and it all worked fine. My Zeus is still under warranty. I am not satisfied with what is offered. I am also having somewhat bad eyesight ( this is the reason why I was not selected in army camp after passing all the tests ) so I NEED better lightning. Is there a cheaper solution.

And is it true that 65W bulb will give less lumens ?
I am ready to risk warranty from day one because under most of the circumstances, they have one word " Normal wear and tear " and they can escape any warranty claim.

And changing bulb is for my safety and I need some more technical stuff before going for this. Is there any other way to extract more stuff from alternator?
Old 17th May 2008, 16:26   #1686
BHPian

guys I spoke with the philips lighting products head in delhi, he told me vision plus has been disconnected and that X-treme would be launged by the end of may!
Old 18th May 2008, 12:36   #1687
Senior - BHPian

GE Megalight Plus Bulb promises 60% more light.

I have taken out my OE bulbs Phoenix H4U 12V 60/55WE1 2F8 in my Ikon and replaced with GE Megalight plus which promises 60% more light than that of normal bulb. The specs are: 12V 60/55 W P43t-38 H4 E1 2D7. These lights are certainly better than the OE bulbs in my car. They claim "60% more light on the road ahead, longer beam, brighter illumination". Personally the light is brighter and visibility is also good. Couple of pics of the cover is enclosed below. The construction of bulb is same as the OE.

But I'am facing one problem. The focussing in my car is not proper. When the mechanic tried to focus but ultimtely gave up stating that the a wire has snapped inside the bulb assy and needs to replace the whole assy. Is this really true or the focussing can be done. Need your inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ge-megalight-plus1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ge-megalight-plus2.jpg  

Old 18th May 2008, 13:32   #1688
BHPian

Where did u buy these from ?
Old 18th May 2008, 15:04   #1689
BHPian

Attn Bangy boys! I need a spare "narva white" H3 bulb for my fog lamps. Earlier, I had picked up a pair from JC Road for Rs 500. But now, the same stuff doesnt seem to be available anywhere. Does anyone know where I can pick up a pair? Its a bit urgent as I am moving out to Trivandrum by the end of the month and it'll be a hundred times more difficult to find such stuff there.
Old 18th May 2008, 16:34   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I understand about relay. But how about the make of bulb, especially GE?
Never heard of GE! As mentioned by Srini, those are the makes that are known.

Do check as to how long GE has been in the market? Maybe it is a new entrant in this line of business..

But, unless the price is a killer, why don't you just go and try it? You never know.
Old 18th May 2008, 20:36   #1691
Senior - BHPian

I bought it from a local service centre...United Motors, Rajajinagar Indl. Town, Bangalore-10. I have paid Rs.400 (for bulbs) and Rs.50 for installation. Totaling to Rs.450/-
Old 18th May 2008, 22:18   #1692
Senior - BHPian

To see if it really works. Fit a stock bulb in one headlight and this one in the other. That should give you an idea as to how powerful this is over the stock one.

Shan2nu
Old 18th May 2008, 22:30   #1693
Senior - BHPian

If you OEM bulbs were already aligned, dont thing the replacement should have needed an alignment.

These seem similar to Osram Silverstar 50%
Old 18th May 2008, 22:45   #1694
Team-BHP Support

Rs.50 for installing headlight bulbs! That's crazy. It's as easy as changing a bulb at home. Unscrew, remove, put back new, screw and connect. Voila.

They are priced a little more than Osram Silver star which costs Rs.350 a pair.
Old 18th May 2008, 23:21   #1695
Team-BHP Support

Vid try it in a iKON and you will run to the workshop, after bandaging the bleeding hands. 50 Rs is very cheap if you ask me, for labor.

Take night shots of the light from inside the car, that will give us some idea about the lights.

Aligning, well there are two screw/bolts on each of the headlight units (If i remember 10 size spanner or a really short length star screw driver) will help. First park the car on a dark street and figure out which side is out of alignment, cover each beam at a time, this will give you an idea. Then park the car with beams facing a wall and slowly adjust the beams in the desired direction and recheck on the street.

Oh yeah for accessing up and down bolt/screw i had to get underneath the car and then use the spanner, yes its a difficult task. I guess a short stub star screwdriver will ease this to a great extent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks