Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2016, 17:54   #166
E63
BANNED

re: Next Gen Bajaj Pulsars - SS400 & CS400 (rechristened as Dominar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Isn't it a sad reflection on today's society that a man has to find 'manliness' in his possession like a car or a bike? Alone and without his accessories may be one doesn't feel 'manly' enough...reminds me of an incident. a so called manly man was driving a Scorpio in the manliest and rashest manner possible, cutting left and right, bullying vehicles and showing people the middle finger when challenged. The plot was lost when he banged a scooterist and the scooterist and his well wishers stopped the Scorpio and pulled out the 'manly man' Out of his car he shrunk into a bald, potbellied, weak limbed 5.3 inches middle aged office goer who was slapped around soundly and who was begging and pleading with his hands folded that he was late to office. So much for manufactured manliness

Hasnt it always been the case? Insecure people always find some or the other way to prove that they are more manly than others.

Some people grow facial hair just to prove that they are man enough. And then they look down on other clean shaven people. And come up with catchphrases like "What do you call a man without a beard? Woman."

People buy SUVs just to prove that they are more manly than others.

Or buy Enfields and Harleys and fit them with outrageously high DB exhausts and call other bikes plastic. And say men ride bullet or Harley and boys ride.......

Inferiority complex driven people who continuously feel the need to reassure themselves of their manhood, and seek social acceptance.
E63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 17:59   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary it is perfect. For anyone who has done high speed riding, crouched on the tank, the speedo is right in profile. Should be interesting.
Not correct! Riding at high speed means you are crouched over, chest on the tank (which is why sport bikes have those high tanks - to provide a perch for you to rest your chest as you go barreling down the track's straight sections), face close to the bars, looking up towards the horizon

On the little Duke 390, when on the track - I am crouched over and my chin is actually hovering over the handlebar. I am a little over 6 ft in my race boots. Even on a larger bike, the only way you will be able to look at your speed when crouched over is by looking down at the bike's tank. I don't know why anyone would want to do that, or think that its a good idea

The only time this positioning of the speedo can be "beneficial" is when you are riding bolt upright and catch the speedo in your peripheral vision, something you can so easily do with conventional meters as well. There's a reason why all sport bikes have the clocks placed conventionally and its mostly cruisers like Harleys or the Ducati Diavel that have speedos and misc screens / info on the bike's tank
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:32   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only time this positioning of the speedo can be "beneficial" is when you are riding bolt upright and catch the speedo in your peripheral vision, something you can so easily do with conventional meters as well
The other time is when my kid is sitting in front of me and the amount of distraction it provides to keep the kid in the seat.And also hacking that display to make it my messaging app at petrol stations and what not.

Really dont see why we need that there for functionality purpose.

Last edited by VW2010 : 22nd June 2016 at 18:39.
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:55   #169
BHPian

The CS 400 rides fast, that is certain. Would surely drool more over it if it didn't look like a Diavel parody.

Just hope they price it right, give it ABS as well as some relief to the dudes who think KTMs are 'unreliable'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The CS probably might turn out to be the true alternative to the Royal Enfields
Wasn't that the case with the Inazuma and Mojo too?

I'm not a RE fanboy, but it's only replacements, given the current mindset, would be a Norton or a BSA. "Royull gaadi hai bhaisaab", after all.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:59   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it a sad reflection on today's society that a man has to find 'manliness' in his possession like a car or a bike?
Well.. that seems to be the case. Royal Enfield, Harley Davidson sell on the Macho Spirit. Even Pulsar was once "Definitely Male".

Maybe its Sad But True, but who are we to judge?

Also BTW the Famed Exhaust THUMP from the RE's also adds to the MANLY quotient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Hasnt it always been the case? Insecure people always find some or the other way to prove that they are more manly than others.

Some people grow facial hair just to prove that they are man enough. And then they look down on other clean shaven people. And come up with catchphrases like "What do you call a man without a beard? Woman."

People buy SUVs just to prove that they are more manly than others.

Or buy Enfields and Harleys and fit them with outrageously high DB exhausts and call other bikes plastic. And say men ride bullet or Harley and boys ride.......

Inferiority complex driven people who continuously feel the need to reassure themselves of their manhood, and seek social acceptance.
Agree.

You should also check out the one who rev the hell out of their bikes at "IBW".

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
The CS 400 rides fast, that is certain. Would surely drool more over it if it didn't look like a Diavel parody..
The CS certainly is inspired by the Diavel... but so what? It's perfectly fine with me. Its not like its a Chinese Copy+Paste job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Wasn't that the case with the Inazuma and Mojo too.
Both of them was/are UGLY (sorry if any there are any owners)..

.. also probably even the designers of both bikes were not sure what they were making.

Last edited by payeng : 22nd June 2016 at 19:10.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:31   #171
E63
BANNED

Quote:

Agree.

You should also check out the one who rev the hell out of their bikes at "IBW".

The CS certainly is inspired by the Diavel... but so what? It's perfectly fine with me. Its not like its a Chinese Copy+Paste job.

Both of them was/are UGLY (sorry if any there are any owners)..

.. also probably even the designers of both bikes were not sure what they were making.

Well, that video is certainly funny. I do remember watching the very first IBW videos, and one of them was this loudest bike competition, and it was a Fireblade(IIRC) which had its engine seized during this lung screaming. And I counldnt help but cringe throughout the video and think "Why would you do this to a motorcycle?"

Well, I have no issues with Bajaj taking inspiration from whoever they choose to. But why Diavel? It is, one of the ugliest bikes (strictly IMO). Even more ugly than the Inazuma and the Mojo. But beauty, as they say, lies in the eyes of the beholder, so to each his own.
Old 22nd June 2016, 20:08   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But why Diavel? It is, one of the ugliest bikes (strictly IMO). Even more ugly than the Inazuma and the Mojo.
Really?

Can't really agree to it.

Well, the CS400 turned out to be the most handsome Pulsar.. wonder if you might find it Ugly as well.

Old 22nd June 2016, 20:31   #173
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Really?

Can't really agree to it.

Well, the CS400 turned out to be the most handsome Pulsar.. wonder if you might find it Ugly as well.

I think I'll wait till the launch before I give my verdict. But if it looks like the diavel, then not really my cup of tea.

PS: I own an AS 200, not the prettiest pulsar by any means. (Also just clarifying so that you dont think I'm a Bajaj hater)
Old 22nd June 2016, 20:41   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Inazuma IMO was very clear in what its focus was, and achieved it near perfectly till Suzuki did a Kamikaze with the pricing

- Comfy seating even for 2 up
- Decent power by Indian standards (this puppy pulled up to 150 kph)
- Super smooth engine & ride
- Molestation proof : Not at all flashy. Park it next to a commuter and one might walk past without giving it a second look. A huge boon in a country like ours IMO. Just make sure you hide those twin exhausts from plain view
- Awesome component quality all around

One can argue about lack of power etc, but Suzuki was very clear in what they were making - A comfortable, efficient mile muncher. And does anyone here doubt that Suzuki - Makers of bikes such as the GSXR's, Busa and many others; would have any issues giving the bike more power than what it currently had?

That's purity of purpose right there. Not trying to do 50 things so so, but a few things brilliantly! Too bad about the pricing ....... and of course the lack of ABS

Back to the CS - I am curious to see how Bajaj prices this. So far, I like that the footpegs are not pulled too far back and the seat looks nice and roomy. But the more I look at that tank speedo, the more pi$$sed off I get. What a bloody waste of time

Old 22nd June 2016, 20:49   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I'll wait till the launch before I give my verdict. But if it looks like the diavel, then not really my cup of tea.
Its more than obvious that the CS400 borrows the proportions of the Diavel.

Quote:
PS: I own an AS 200, not the prettiest pulsar by any means. (Also just clarifying so that you dont think I'm a Bajaj hater)
No its perfectly ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The Inazuma IMO was very clear in what its focus was, and achieved it near perfectly till Suzuki did a Kamikaze with the pricing

- Comfy seating even for 2 up
- Decent power by Indian standards (this puppy pulled up to 150 kph)
- Super smooth engine & ride
- Molestation proof : Not at all flashy. Park it next to a commuter and one might walk past without giving it a second look. A huge boon in a country like ours IMO. Just make sure you hide those twin exhausts from plain view
- Awesome component quality all around
Personal views..? Not sure if they are of the designers (or did Suzuki mention about it somewhere).

Anyway:

- Many bikes have comfortable seating
- Many bikes have comparable power
- Smoothness is over rated... Unrefined Bullets and Harleys continue to be desired/lusted, their sales success speaks volumes
- Flashy ones are more successful I guess (unless probably it's a Splendor or Activa)
- Quality definitely of superior level.. without any doubt. But unfortunately like smoothness, even quality is probably overrated. There are quite a few examples around.

Last edited by payeng : 22nd June 2016 at 21:18.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 02:28   #176
E63
BANNED

Moderator Warning: Do NOT TROLL on Team-BHP. If you don't have anything nice to say, it's best not to say anything at all.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2016 at 09:55.
E63 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:01   #177
Senior - BHPian

The 200NS is slightly ugly for my taste as well. Every part seems disproportional on that bike and the tail light, enough said. Having said that the CS400 looks much more mature and as long as they dont carry everything from 200NS with respect to looks i will be happy.

The early versions spys were not bad and the video shows something not 200NS so far
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:12   #178
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is any value in debating over the design and looks, its a very subjective topic. What might get hormones raging for one person, may be a complete dud for another.

That said, most of Bajaj's designs starting from the first ever generation of Pulsars 15 years back have a large number number of people who have lauded it and an equally (if not more) large number of folks who have hated it.

But need to give it to Bajaj for trying to do something revolutionary ... every time !!

Eagerly waiting to see who the CS400 will stack up against the D390 in terms of performance and component quality. I'm considering the CS400 as a replacement for my ageing 220, seems like a good fit so far at least.
praful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:24   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I'm considering the CS400 as a replacement for my ageing 220, seems like a good fit so far at least.

The Fit seems to be good for me as well

Here is another video of the CS... would give an idea of how its moves on the road

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:07   #180
Senior - BHPian

Nice catch. Definitely ABS included in both front and rear. Brakes seems 300mm or even smaller but looks like a petal design or my bad illusion. Its a big step for pulsar and even the silencer looks pretty decent and in a way the bike makes me feel like the old pulsar which was definitely not a bad design for looks.

Very interesting. I am wondering if this will be launched almost at a similar time to the BMW TVS series.

Quote:
Eagerly waiting to see who the CS400 will stack up against the D390 in terms of performance and component quality. I'm considering the CS400 as a replacement for my ageing 220, seems like a good fit so far at least
If CS400 comes with the current bells and whistles of current 390, i can bet the new 390 will up its game and price. CS400 will sell numbers knowing how popular the pulsar series is. I can honestly say the first pulsar was a great hit, the 220NS didnt gather that much love but the CS400 will bring back the pulsar love personally.

Dont compare it with 390 for various reasons. The pulsar will have bigger tank, slightly tuned for fuel efficiency engine, better rear seats and the usual pulsar love. The 390 will continue to be light, nimble single riding, 10L tank horse that will still attract maniacs like me

Last edited by VW2010 : 23rd June 2016 at 11:14.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks