Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2021, 06:23   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs

This is my thought process. To help you break it down; If I were in the market for a motorcycle with automatic gears, what are my choices and how much do they cost? This has a true blue bike chassis and engine within. So that's a first. The auto feature is a blessing under any condition (Be it city or highway) or terrain, mileage not-withstanding. Drivabilty is supreme. Pick-up is just great. Twist the throttle and none of the scooters can catch up (right now). The seat contouring and lower back support is just right. (In fact I'm getting the same curve done on my CB 350). The Activa and NTORQ struggle to start in the morning, needed kick-start. Not this. With the CB 350, (before I get on it) - I need wear gloves and full face helmet, the full armour. On this I just hop on and scoot. So I'm preferring this currently. Regarding road presence, I feel this Monster Edition just blends in with other scooters and bikes. Few people at the signal did ask me about the price, and that's all. Unless someone has a sharp eye, they wont catch it. Cant say the same about the orange and the blue Aerox, though. Refinement is best in class. The quiet-start without any rumble is to be experienced to be believed! As you give throttle, it picks up without a whine or whimper. Very smooth. The soft close side-stand is very classy. Regarding practicality, that's its biggest USP. So much storage, smooth engine, vibe free performance - these are all traits that made me choose the Aerox. Regarding panel gaps, it's consistent on mine. Nothing glaring when I checked. Pic; I had this close up pic of the seat (as someone here requested). Then few bits, here n there
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
please share your thoughts about Aerox 155 against CB350 in terms of various aspects like driveability, pick up, road presence, refinement, practicality etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_7752.jpg  

Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_7801.jpg  

Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_7802.jpg  

Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_7809.jpg  

Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_7814.jpg  

Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_7815.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 1st October 2021 at 06:24.
Sebring is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 09:39   #137
Senior - BHPian

That's the money shot, right there
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 12:42   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This is my thought process. To help you break it down; If I were in the market for a motorcycle with automatic gears, what are my choices and how much do they cost?
You are right. This is to be looked at as an automatic bike rather than a scooter. That makes sense. And the product is more desirable

The large storage is an added bonus.
Mafia is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 21:58   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's the money shot, right there
Congratulations! I like the Monster edition (save for a few extra stickers) compared to the other colors. Unlike the Blue which is too blue and dull red and gray, it doesn't draw much attention and goes unnoticed until you zoom past all the other 110/125cc scooters at a traffic signal.

I'm still on the fence and waiting for TDs to commence before I decide on booking one.

Looking forward to the ownership review.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 00:13   #140
BHPian

Finally a road review video:

Not sure when actual media reviews are happening. Can't stop drooling over this one.
Funny is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 16:39   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Finally a road review video
I spoke to a Kamala Yamaha (Lower Parel, Mumbai) sales representative today, they are expecting the scooter sometime between the 7th and 15th October. No information otherwise. Anybody in Mumbai have any update from any other outlet?

Coming to Dino, I have never liked his reviews, he always comes across as someone who is giving a paid review (all the adjectives he has learnt from somewhere and everything perfect) and is mugging up all the content. He literally has trouble speaking because he speaks so fast and pants in the middle, it’s evident in this video also. Guess this one must be a test ride vehicle since the speedometer was connected, otherwise it’s sad, since he really thrashes brand new vehicles mercilessly for eyeballs on UTube.

Waiting for some credible first ride review sources like Autocar, Powerdrift etc.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 13:30   #142
Senior - BHPian

It's been a week and the scooter has settled down nicely at our household. The Yamaha feels really premium and scores on power and handling.

Positives:
Ample power on tap
Overtaking and city maneuvers are dream stuff
Loudest horn in any scooter
Soft close side stand
Fantastic storage space
Yamaha connect features
Supremely comfortable seat for long expeditions
Best tyre spec
Rear view mirrors are just right
Light spread is fantastic
DRL envelopes the front like Kia Seltos (Very classy)
Auto start stop works like a charm
Dedicated buttons for seat and fuel tank
Riding position is like sitting a a comfy chair, doesn't tire
Rear LED light looks good and is very bright
'Side stand down' kills the engine
Nice cubbyhole to keep mobile
Oil cooled engine works well. (No heat level rise warning yet)
Love the stickers and styling on Monster edition
Side 'air scoops' are well designed/integrated

Negatives:
Flimsy plastic petrol hatch (It is bound to come undone in my hand)
Integrated rear grip for rear passenger
Rear passenger seat width is narrow
Rear passenger sits very high up
Rear passenger footrest is not comfortable (As per feedback received from my friends)
The negative display strains the eye sometimes
The side lock takes some effort to engage
Mileage is just 30KMPL
Indicator stalk looks cheap (Rest of the buttons look premium)
Car like charging socket, needs a charging unit (Should have been direct USB C/USB A)
Could have a had a TFT display with navigation
Tyre is great for dry surfaces. In wet, it wavered a bit
'Grippy tyres' throw every muck on the road to the body
No accessories in the horizon
Time reset by itself to display a wrong setting
I don't like the blue surround around the meter (Should be gray or black, or even carbon fiber)
Hate the large 'Monster' sticker on front mud guard (Getting that removed)
Unresponsive Yamaha Team for any email/tweet/call
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_8253.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:00   #143
BHPian

I have been wanting to ask this question for a while. I thought the job of CVT was to maintain the optimum RPM at any speed. This coupled with the decent low end torque from the VVT engine. I really expected Aerox to have much better efficiency than a Suzuki access. Seeing Sebring's posts showing 30 Kmpl, i was really surprised.

Sebring i understand you have done few long distance commutes as well. May i know what kind of efficiency you noticed in those and approximately at what speeds those were achieved and also if these were one up or with pillion.
rohitoasis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 12:00   #144
KPR
BANNED

Many congratulations on your Aerox scoot !
Scoots like SR150 and probably this Aerox have something called life while riding them akin to driving TSI, Abarth. They tempt one to ride even more KMs when taken from parking. But the only grouse is the 5 to 6L tank capacity making them more of a twice or thrice per week scoot. Visiting petrol station every alternate day is something that I hate. Hope newer versions come with increased volume of tank.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:33   #145
Senior - BHPian

I'm keeping speed under 60KMPH now, (That speed is achieved in literally micro-seconds), but the bike wants to fly - to be unleashed With great difficulty I control my urge to rip. The Monster doesn't like it one bit, and I can hear the engine growl. Let me do one proper mileage test once the Aerox crosses 1000 Kms. Mostly, I ride pillion now. Will keep the thread posted. I like the fact that you can do over 100 KMPH all day on it, no doubt. This engine will love you for the punishment
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
May i know what kind of efficiency you noticed in those and approximately at what speeds those were achieved and also if these were one up or with pillion.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Aerox 155 Scooter. Edit: Launched at 1.29 lakhs-img_7784.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 15:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
But the only grouse is the 5 to 6L tank capacity making them more of a twice or thrice per week scoot. Visiting petrol station every alternate day is something that I hate. Hope newer versions come with increased volume of tank.
Sebring’s new scooter gives 30 kmpl which should improve as the scooter piles on more kilometres. With the 5.5 litre tank, even at 30 kmpl it means around 150 kilometres before you need to refuel. Your running needs to be 75-80 kms a day on a regular basis to warrant a visit to the pumps every alternate day. It’s extremely unlikely there will be any newer version with more tank range, you then need to buy something else which has more tank capacity. How difficult is it to fill fuel? Five-seven minutes tops, why make it out to be a deal breaker if everything else makes you happy.

UTube really brings out the fuel range thing unnecessarily and clouds the minds of people. This is a scooter whose normal habitat is the urban jungle, not interstate touring for the fuel tank to be made into such a big thing. Sure you can go to Leh on a TVS XL also but it’s not the point and surely an exception, not the norm. When reviewers have nothing to say they always bring out the fuel tank rant and always want a couple of litres more than what’s available The packaging of the entire scooter or bike needs to be aesthetically pleasing and gel together, you cannot have a 7-8 litre tank on the Aerox doing that or Yamaha would have done that already. This whole fuel tank capacity is thrown around (almost always) by Indian reviewers, not really made an issue abroad.

Please think, these same reviewers on uTube and elsewhere are influencing our minds especially in India (infrastructure not up to the mark) in the interest of being environment friendly or being in the pocket of the EV makers:-
Everyone is out promoting electric scooters and cars yet no one is talking about their almost next to nothing range with no real infrastructure for charging in our cities. Now compare that scenario to petrol pumps which we have almost every nook and corner (comparatively) and still crib about tank range

Our thinking is corrupted by the so called social influencer’s and their platforms, it’s high time to reject them and think on our own.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 5th October 2021 at 15:17.
Cyborg is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 15:50   #147
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Sebring’s new scooter gives 30 kmpl which should improve as the scooter piles on more kilometres. With the 5.5 litre tank, even at 30 kmpl it means around 150 kilometres before you need to refuel. Your running needs to be 75-80 kms a day on a regular basis to warrant a visit to the pumps every alternate day.
Our thinking is corrupted by the so called social influencer’s and their platforms, it’s high time to reject them and think on our own.
Cheers
Well I had issues with the tank capacity of SR150 as I rode for more than 50km per day. For me the real fun of SR150 was in a mix of less city and more highway. It simply glides in highways. I'm not corrupted by any khan's sach mein kitna diya videos and I assume mileage of about 70% of whatever manufacturer has written in specifications.
KPR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 16:30   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Your running needs to be 75-80 kms a day on a regular basis to warrant a visit to the pumps every alternate day.
For those who have running in range of 70-100 kms a day, refueling every day/ alternate day is irritating. I have been doing similar running for last 4 years and getting my RC with 9 ltr tank to fuel station every alternate day was a pain. Not everyone has my kind of running but for those who do, it is a task. 5 litre tank is the only negative which I see in this scooter actually. This scooter will be amazing on highways and I would put my money if it had a practical 220-230 kms range atleast.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 5th October 2021 at 16:34.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 16:46   #149
Senior - BHPian

Well said Cyborg. You succinctly mirrored my thoughts. When we were growing up there were two bikes on opposite side of the spectrum, the Yamaha RX100 and the Honda CD100. The RX would return 35KMPL but boy it was a raging lunatic. Gave such an adrenaline rush. You live your life in that moment. On the contrary, my cousin who used to travel to NAL on airport road, (a good 25-30KMS from Hanumanthnagar), and chose the Hero Honda for its mileage (A consistent 70-75KMPL). So it is different strokes for different folks, really. The new trend is pointing at electric scooters taking over and its the marketers who are thrusting down our throats. It's in no way eco-friendly and the battery life depletes by the month. If you get a 100Km range today, doesn't mean it will remain same till end of the year. This vehicle puts a smile on my face and I respect that particular character of this Monster
Quote:
UTube really brings out the fuel range thing unnecessarily and clouds the minds of people. This is a scooter whose normal habitat is the urban jungle, not interstate touring for the fuel tank to be made into such a big thing. Sure you can go to Leh on a TVS XL also but it’s not the point and surely an exception, not the norm. When reviewers have nothing to say they always bring out the fuel tank rant and always want a couple of litres more than what’s available. The packaging of the entire scooter or bike needs to be aesthetically pleasing and gel together, you cannot have a 7-8 litre tank on the Aerox doing that or Yamaha would have done that already. This whole fuel tank capacity is thrown around (almost always) by Indian reviewers, not really made an issue abroad. Our thinking is corrupted by the so called social influencers and their platforms, it’s high time to reject them and think on our own.
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 17:05   #150
BHPian

Sebring, Congrats on the Aerox! This is surely an enthusiast's dream. Even with Electric scooters, I cannot fathom why these are fitted with tiny wheels and pathetic brakes even now. An EV can have instant torque and what not, but if does have the proper rubber to put that torque on the road, its not going to matter much. The small tires and bad suspension/breaks are one grouse that makes me think about getting a new stead even though the Activa I have is just doing fine for the errands that it is used for. Looking forward to continued ownership review of the Aerox.
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks