Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 17:22   #1906
BANNED

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A general Q - guys, what would you recommend for a good tool kit for (DIY) fitting in some extra accessories for the 650?
Since I see some recommendations comprising of open end spanners and ring spanners, let me share a few thumb rules;

Thumb Rule 1:

Socket > Ring > C

When it comes to putting the torque down always keep the above in mind, Ring and C spanners are tools of conveniences but its best to not make them a habit and spare use to those hard to reach bolts/nuts.

Thumb Rule 2:

6 Point over 12 Points, Everytime!.

This one is self explanatory;

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-socket.jpg

As for motorcycle tool kits, my personal take is to not buy a kit per say, rather update/improve your stock tool kit. There are several reasons to back this practice, ranging from tool familiarization, to weight savings to convenience and what not. No point explaining, a few times around the block and it'll fall into place.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 10th July 2020 at 17:31.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:48   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A general Q - guys, what would you recommend for a good tool kit for (DIY) fitting in some extra accessories for the 650? Have bought a few, but now lying at home; and can't get myself to go to a mechanic to get them fitted

Most vehicles actually use just a few different sizes of fasteners. So I think that it is better to just buy the sizes of tools that you actually need, with some exceptions.

I would stick to good Indian brands such as Taparia, Eastman, etc. as they tend to be better quality. Don't succumb to the temptation to buy cheap tools because they can a) fail at the worst time b) damage the fasteners and make the situation much worse.

For ratchet wrench and sockets it's cheaper to just buy a full set and the set also comes with hex, Phillips and torx bits. This Taparia set is good: https://www.amazon.in/Taparia-SA46-S...4384460&sr=8-4

For spanners, I suggest buying combination spanners that have ring and open at either end. The sizes would be 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12. Check if you need specific larger sizes.

Allen keys: a full set is quite cheap and comes with the plastic holder.. I recommend buying long, ball-ended keys as they are much more practical.

Screw drivers: I suggest just 2 sizes of interchangeable (flat and star) - 1 small and 1 medium. This should do for most jobs.

Pliers: 1 general purpose, 1 long nose.

Knife: retractable type, with spare blades.

Hammer: 1 medium size

Hacksaw: At least a small one with spare blades.

That covers the basics of a decent tool kit. You could add more tools as you work more on your bike.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 02:22   #1908
BHPian

It’s been a year and a few months that I’ve got the Interceptor 650 (christened: Lady Marmalade) and within the second month of ownership, I got my rims sealed with Outex. The Outex hasn’t been a really pleasant experience on my bike so far.

It’s been close to a year now that I’ve had the outex installed and almost every other week, I see my tyres loosing at least 10-15 psi. I’ve got the outex checked a couple of times at different workshops and though they were able to identify leaks a few times and fixed those, I still regularly have air leaking from the tyres. Sometimes it is the front and sometimes the rear tyre. As of now, the rear tyre is loosing almost 15 psi in a week. Took it to the local puncture shop and they were not able to find any punctures. Suspected the valve pin and got that checked as well and everything good there. The entire outex episode has left me frustrated.

I’m now planning on putting back tubes and also considering changing the tyres to a hard compound one.

What are my choices for a hard compound tyre for the interceptor? I checked MRF online and didn’t see any tyres for the 130/70 -18 size. The reason I like the MRF type of tyres is because they lasted me really well on my previous bike. In the 4 years of ownership, I never had a single puncture. I felt those things rock solid and nothing ever penetrates their thick hide.

There are tyres from Timsun, Ralco and Metzellers in this size but I am looking for a hard compound tyre. Any other brand that I should consider. Also, what make and size of tubes would you suggest? The ones I had were Ceat, I think, and I gave them away to a friend. Also, if I now need to put in tubes do I have to completely remove the outex that’s been stuck to the rims?
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 10:51   #1909
Distinguished - BHPian

Timsun will be the hardest compound bias ply tyre with the toughest sidewall.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 12:20   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
It’s been a year and a few months that I’ve got the Interceptor 650 (christened: Lady Marmalade) and within the second month of ownership, I got my rims sealed with Outex. The Outex hasn’t been a really pleasant experience on my bike so far.
Outex is like a lottery, if lucky, it works really well, else headache. Much depends on the skill, patience and surface preparation. Sad part is there is no manufacturers warranty and the entire process costs a bomb. There are some cheaper alternatives to sealing wire spoke rims and with decent results too. Our fellow BHPian lazyGunner is converted on his interceptor and running successfully.
On the tyre front, please dont choose a hard compound tyre just because you want to reduce the puncture probability. A sharp nail will puncture through the hardest of compounds. Do keep in mind the power and torque the bike makes, the weight of the bike and choose a tyre which will generate adequate traction for the requirement the bike demands. hard compound generally means reduced traction and lack of traction can be far more devastating. some models from Timsun is a good place to look at, as a lot of Bonnie riders have shifted to timsuns. And as redliner mentioned, they are strong biasply tyres and we have personally experienced them over many kms on various bikes with good results.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 18:00   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I have ordered the plain ones from this site, but the item is held at customs since about 15 days.

I would advise people to wait for this current situation to improve before buying anything from overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Classic ones look small on interceptor tank, you have to purchase from motone custom uk, they look the best on interceptor.

https://www.motone.co.uk/motorcycle-...ion-jack-p1607
I received the tank pads day before yesterday. After almost 4 months because of the lockdown.

The total amount paid was Inr 3900 to Motone and 1621 for Customs. Although the quality is exceptional undoubtedly but the price including customs is too much.

These pads are now available through some Indian websites (bikenbiker).

I would love if such quality items were manufactured and sold in our own country. The ones available / which I have come across are either not having good quality or look out of place with the shape mismatching the tank.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:04   #1912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post

It’s been close to a year now that I’ve had the outex installed and almost every other week, I see my tyres loosing at least 10-15 psi. I’ve got the outex checked a couple of times at different workshops and though they were able to identify leaks a few times and fixed those, I still regularly have air leaking from the tyres. Sometimes it is the front and sometimes the rear tyre. As of now, the rear tyre is loosing almost 15 psi in a week. Took it to the local puncture shop and they were not able to find any punctures. Suspected the valve pin and got that checked as well and everything good there. The entire outex episode has left me frustrated.

I’m now planning on putting back tubes and also considering changing the tyres to a hard compound one.

What are my choices for a hard compound tyre for the interceptor? I checked MRF online and didn’t see any tyres for the 130/70 -18 size. The reason I like the MRF type of tyres is because they lasted me really well on my previous bike. In the 4 years of ownership, I never had a single puncture. I felt those things rock solid and nothing ever penetrates their thick hide.

There are tyres from Timsun, Ralco and Metzellers in this size but I am looking for a hard compound tyre. Any other brand that I should consider. Also, what make and size of tubes would you suggest? The ones I had were Ceat, I think, and I gave them away to a friend. Also, if I now need to put in tubes do I have to completely remove the outex that’s been stuck to the rims?
Snehal, its sad to hear that the Outex is not working as expected, given the time and money that you have invested in getting it installed and then fixed. I will suggest you revert to the tube setup and go for any of the Indian brands instead. You will not the 130 / 70 - 18 tire but instead there are plenty of 120 / 80 - 18 tires in the market. Ceat is a popular choice for the GT535 owners, I have used some of their tires and posted about them on my ownership thread. They are pretty good as long as one is not riding on the edge (which you definitely dont!).

In fact, I would say that for regular users, the real world difference in the Ceats and the more expensive OEM Pirelli Sport Demons is in the last 5% of grip in an extreme case and most of them wont even realize the difference. Of course, this is feedback based on usage of a 30 HP motorcycle, not a 47 HP motorcycle like the 650.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:07   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly why I never bothered to spend time and money on solutions like outex. Firstly they are way too expensive for what they are, and they are actually just a "jugaad" at best. If they were really reliable, manufacturers would have used them themselves or offered them as official accessories. I would suggest just stop bothering and put back the tubes and consider the outex as an insurance. If you happen to have a puncture, at least you wont loose all air at once.

Also, IMO not having a puncture is just plain luck, nothing to do with tyre compound. In my ownership of my last motorcycle Tb350, I had just one Puncture in 7 years.

As for tyres, while I am still on my stock tyres but from other Int owners, I have heard only good things about Timsums, alternatively there is also Metzeller Lasertech which is good too.
People have also been using Ralco without any issues.

I had seen people installing MRF Zapper Q-130/80 R18 on the GT 535 which has the same rim as Int. But I guess the grip and speed rating may be insufficient for Int.

Last edited by ishan12 : 13th July 2020 at 13:09.
ishan12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 02:12   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Timsun will be the hardest compound bias ply tyre with the toughest sidewall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Timsun is a good place to look at, as a lot of Bonnie riders have shifted to timsuns. And as redliner mentioned, they are strong biasply tyres and we have personally experienced them over many kms on various bikes with good results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
In fact, I would say that for regular users, the real world difference in the Ceats and the more expensive OEM Pirelli Sport Demons is in the last 5% of grip in an extreme case and most of them wont even realize the difference. Of course, this is feedback based on usage of a 30 HP motorcycle, not a 47 HP motorcycle like the 650.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
As for tyres, while I am still on my stock tyres but from other Int owners, I have heard only good things about Timsums, alternatively there is also Metzeller Lasertech which is good too.
People have also been using Ralco without any issues.
Thank you all. Well, it looks like Timsun it is. Even another, much traveled, Bhpian advised that I look at Timsun Tyres. I got their contact details from him and spoke to a gentleman named Vinod. He sent me the details via WhatsApp and I have decided to go for TS 660 (130/70-18) for the rear and TS 659A (100/90-18) for the front.

This is what was sent to me from Timsun.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-timsun-tire-1.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-timsun-tire-2.jpg

I have also been able to find tubes of the same spec for the front tire from Ceat but surprisingly nothing is showing up for the rear. What tube size would be a fit for the rear if I am not able to find anything in 130/70 - 18 size? I checked with the RE store and they don't have stock of tubes.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 10:56   #1915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all. Well, it looks like Timsun it is. Even another, much traveled, Bhpian advised that I look at Timsun Tyres. I got their contact details from him and spoke to a gentleman named Vinod. He sent me the details via WhatsApp and I have decided to go for TS 660 (130/70-18) for the rear and TS 659A (100/90-18) for the front.

This is what was sent to me from Timsun.
Attachment 2030060

Attachment 2030061

I have also been able to find tubes of the same spec for the front tire from Ceat but surprisingly nothing is showing up for the rear. What tube size would be a fit for the rear if I am not able to find anything in 130/70 - 18 size? I checked with the RE store and they don't have stock of tubes.
Snehal, you should be able to get 120 / 80 - 18 tubes from any MRF or Ceat store. Even a 100 / 90 - 18 tube will fit and can do the job but try and get the former if possible. Do keep us updated on the feedback from the Timsun tires
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:12   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
He sent me the details via WhatsApp and I have decided to go for TS 660 (130/70-18) for the rear and TS 659A (100/90-18) for the front.
I have used TS 659A for front and rear both, on the versys 650 (ofcourse bike spec) and was satisfied with the performance. They are good road tyres and you cant go wrong with them. A Friend put same pattern on a bonnie and was happy too. Am using TS 823 pattern on the 310GS and very happy with them as well. If i was to choose tyres for my interceptor, i would go with TS 822/823 pattern for my requirements.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:41   #1917
BHPian

Comparison of 2019 Interceptor 650 with 1973 Norton Commando 850

I had Norton Commando 850 and wondered how it compared.
  • Interceptor 650
    • Power: 47 BHP @ 7250 RPM
    • Max torque: 52 Nm @ 5250 RPM
    • Weight: 202 kg (445 lb) (no fuel) (wet)
    • BHP/cc: 0.072
    • Nm/cc: 0.080
    • Power/weight (BHP/kg): 0.23
    • Torque/weight (Nm/kg): 0.26
  • Norton Commando 850 (828 cc)
    • Power: 58 BHP at 5900 RPM
    • Max torque: 48.5 ft/lb (66 Nm) at 5000 RPM
    • Weight: 490 lb (222 kg) (kerbside)
    • BHP/cc: 0.070
    • Nm/cc: 0.079
    • Power/weight (BHP/kg): 0.26
    • Torque/weight (Nm/kg): 0.22
The BHP/cc and Nm/cc are surprisingly similar considering the Commando had four valves, pushrods, carburettors and mechanical ignition while the Interceptor has eight valves, overhead camshafts, fuel injection and electronic engine management. Lack of difference explained by emission control system?
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 20:55   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from another thread in TBHP - Classic Advertisement thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...re-thread.html (The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread)

RE has just repackaged its own DNA it would appear

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-196302.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-196304.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-196307.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-4.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-5.jpg

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th July 2020 at 21:10.
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:32   #1919
BHPian

Hi guys, has anyone tried the formula X for their interceptor? My brother is using it on his tiger and is very happy. Seems to be little easier to install than the outex kit as well.

Any advice, suggestions or experience please share, thanks!
Old 24th July 2020, 09:35   #1920
BHPian

Hey guys, I got my orange crush interceptor 650 last week from Surya motors, Chennai. Done about 250 kms already. Just a few observations I have. The bike makes a 'tick tick' sound, I'm guessing that mostly the tappets making a racket! Maybe that's normal I dont know.

I'm keeping the bike around 4k rpm as advised by the manual. The engine does feel a little rough. Maybe it needs a lil time to settle down I guess. Also it knocks a lot if u don't upshift fast, or u putter around in the city. I try to avoid the knock as far as possible, but inspite of my best efforts it's getting some used to!

1.Does anyone have a speed-RPM chart for the bike?

2. I used shell regular. Anyone uses the shell v power? I'm not interested in fuel economy. Just a clean efficient bike. Would it make a difference to use shell v power?

3. Formula X. Anyone using this, instead of the outex kit?

Thanks gents much appreciated!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200716_092526.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200724_083001_bokeh.jpg
derek is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed