Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 11:10   #1981
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I changed the tires on my i650 (Lady Marmalade).
======
Lady Marmalade.
Attachment 2036341
Hey, the bike's looking great.

Regarding the timsun tyres, are you using the stock tubes?
If yes, the pressure requirement for the 150/70-18 and 120/80-18 tyres is higher than the stock ones. Can the stock tubes handle the pressure (41 psi)?
Old 19th August 2020, 00:48   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rituj View Post
Regarding the timsun tyres, are you using the stock tubes?
If yes, the pressure requirement for the 150/70-18 and 120/80-18 tyres is higher than the stock ones. Can the stock tubes handle the pressure (41 psi)?
Pressure rating is actually for the tires, not tubes. You should be able to use the same inner tubes.
Old 19th August 2020, 07:51   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
Pressure rating is actually for the tires, not tubes. You should be able to use the same inner tubes.
I think I don't understand.
The maximum pressure I can put in depends on the tyres and not the tube? That seems counterintuitive since the tube is bearing all the air pressure.
Old 19th August 2020, 11:24   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rituj View Post
I think I don't understand.
The maximum pressure I can put in depends on the tyres and not the tube? That seems counterintuitive since the tube is bearing all the air pressure.
Ok I must correct my statement. In terms of sizing I'm not sure if stock ones are the right size or not. But the pressure rating that you find on sidewall of tires is only for tires. Tubes will inflate and swell up within tires and the pressure is eventually on the tires.
Somewhere in the beginning of this thread there is a discussion about stock tubes not being the right size for stock tires. But haven't seen this become major issue on any bikes. I guess the same tubes can be used within a specific range of tire sizes.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 13:15   #1985
BHPian

Has anyone installed bar end mirrors on their interceptor? If so can you please share some pictures and purchase links, i'm not interested in the ones sold by RE, moreover they don't fit on the Interceptor as well.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 18:02   #1986
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
Congratulations on your new bike, wish you many happy miles on it!
Thank you so much!

Since it's been a week, a small update.

I'm much more used to her now and I'm able to corner at speed. It was just a matter of time. I love her so much, the my Dad's GLE seems boring now.

I have made a list of stuff I want to buy for her starting with a sump guard. If you have any other accessory or store suggestions please let me know.
Old 19th August 2020, 19:20   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Thank you so much!

Since it's been a week, a small update.

I'm much more used to her now and I'm able to corner at speed. It was just a matter of time. I love her so much, the my Dad's GLE seems boring now.

I have made a list of stuff I want to buy for her starting with a sump guard. If you have any other accessory or store suggestions please let me know.
A sump guard and a radiator guard definitely. The rest as and when you feel the need, that way you don’t have any try too many things at once. Radiator guard is available from RE, I am using one from Kurashirudo, I’ve posted a few pictures on this thread previously, so check it out.
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 19:29   #1988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post

In addition to @philpmathen's suggestion, I'd say get the mirrors changed - the default ones are lousy (from a function perspective) and feel cheap. Mine actually broke during a long drive. I replaced them (like many on and off the forum) with Bajaj Avengers' mirrors. Any normal shops with Bajaj accessories will have them.

Seat is a personal choice - I found the default seat very soft, especially for longer rides. Got them changed from a seat shop in Shivajinagar, Bangalore. If it's a problem for you, look out for a local guy in your city who does such work.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 21:09   #1989
BHPian

I test rode an Interceptor couple of days back. RE bikes have a way of plastering a smile on your face (as long as they function at least). It wasn't frantic as I expected. And damn that smoothness! The rumble at idle is far better than the sound while riding the bike itself. I'm 182cms and had no issues with the pegs, even when just moving the bike back and forth, but sitting back seems to be a no-go unless footpeg extenders are installed.

RE has my money with the current Himalayan as it is, so the H650 would be a no-brainer, except, they don't seem to have interest in that just yet.

With that said, what do you guys think about Interceptor 650 vs Adventure 390? I know they are 2 different categories, but if your primary aim is touring (comfortably, 2-up), which one would you go for as of today?

From what folks say at the ADV390 thread, it's too light for the highway and vibrates at higher revs. The Interceptor hardly had any vibes even at 120kph. But its ergos just seem off especially for 2-up riding. Seems to me everyone mods this bike to make the ergos better so that's a possibility. The electronics package of the ADV390 just seems insane (I for one like that). I can also appreciate the tubeless tyres vs the tubed-tubeless setup on the 650.

I'm still awaiting a test ride of the 390 as I type this. I do hope to get a call back once it's available.

I for one like ADV styling, good ground clearance, suspension etc. But this 650 parallel twin at 3lakh change sounds crazy.

[If this is off topic here, I request the mods to place it somewhere appropriate ]
Old 19th August 2020, 21:28   #1990
Distinguished - BHPian

Touring two up comfortably, miles on end, days turn into nights - neither. One is a classic retro themed bike for short stints in a leather jacket and the other is a light travel enduro that goes offroad pretty well.

Vstrom 650 and will keep her for a decade. The bike will pay itself back.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th August 2020 at 21:29.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 21:33   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Vstrom 650 and will keep her for a decade. The bike will pay itself back.
Stole the words almost
I had added a note on how I thought V-Strom 650 is THE ONE for me, but removed it because I'm not there yet.
For sure I'm working my way up to it sire!
Also to add, as long as finances support, I want to keep experimenting, so a bike for a decade may not be my thing.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 19th August 2020 at 21:35.
Old 19th August 2020, 22:25   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Has anyone installed bar end mirrors on their interceptor? If so can you please share some pictures and purchase links, i'm not interested in the ones sold by RE, moreover they don't fit on the Interceptor as well.
I am in love with the speed twin oval bar ends. These are a bit bigger and will suit the Interceptor well. But sadly they are not available anywhere.

The ones available are the small common ovals or the round ones like RE.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-speed-twin.jpg

Last edited by The Great : 19th August 2020 at 22:29.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 08:34   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
In addition to @philpmathen's suggestion, I'd say get the mirrors changed - the default ones are lousy (from a function perspective) and feel cheap. Mine actually broke during a long drive. I replaced them (like many on and off the forum) with Bajaj Avengers' mirrors. Any normal shops with Bajaj accessories will have them.
Another option which I found good and using since one year on my Bonnie are the mirrors from the Suzuki Access 125 Special Edition. These are of good quality and costs around Rs 800 for a pair. Should be available at most Suzuki service centers.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-b2.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-b1.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 18:25   #1994
BHPian

So, I rode a bike after a gap of 2 years and what better than RE GT650 to ignite love for riding again. Pulsar 180 UG4 was my last ride.
I generally prefer faired bike to a cruiser or naked but GT650 is such a value for money and all rounder offering, I made an exception and went for a test drive.

I loved the ride comfort, engine sound at idle as well as while revving. Riding posture is quite good. Gear slotting, brakes, horn all works perfect. Rear section is quite plane jane with lights and indicator from some moped. Those dual silencers are the saving grace.
I drove a parallel twin for the first time and fell in love with it. I can't imagine how addictive an inline 3/4 can be.
Now, there is not much competition for GT650 from price perspective in BS6 era. My requirements are quite simple. A bike which can do a bit of 'all'. An early morning drive, grocery shopping in nearby locality and couple of times to office.

I am looking into KTM RC390 as well but as per Pune dealers, RC390 are made to order and they cant give test drive for it. If this is the case, wil strike it off from the list.

Frankly, nothing else is there at this price point of 3-4/5 lac. I was interested in Harley Davidson Street750 earlier but I am getting attracted to new Thar as well. So, I can't have my cake and eat it too. Moreover, HD trimming operations in India doesn't sounds good.
I already have a FIAT with kind of abandoned parents and won't like one more with similar fate.

Waiting for CBR650R looks like an eternity. I raised an inquiry for it via website. They called promptly and updated me that no information on launch.

Coming back to GT650, dealer told me that wait time is of 30 days. They generally deliver it before that. Is this the case everywhere? Whats the service schedule? Is it 6 months/10k km or 1 year/10k kms.

Felt wind on chest head-on after quite some time.Biking is fun.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 22:06   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Whats the service schedule? Is it 6 months/10k km or 1 year/10k kms.

Felt wind on chest head-on after quite some time.Biking is fun.
The service interval is 1 year or 10k kilometers, whichever happens earlier. There's a general checkup at 6 months or 5k kilometers which isn't mandatory, they just check the engine oil level and top it up if it's low. Service costs approx 2500rs. RE now has extended warranty as well, standard warranty is of 3 years and you can get it extended by 2 more years. So you will have peace of mind for 5 years.

Now coming to the GT, i have one as well, you won't get this much power, refinement and cylinders at this price point. The bike is super fun and gives you a smile whenever you take her out. There are so many accessories and customisation options available in the market, you will never get bored of your bike.

P. S. I had 180 ug4 before as well
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200817_181458.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks