Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 14:36   #961
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
More tire pressure > Less contact patch > Less acting surface > Reduced Wobble.

Side Effect: Compromised traction.
Thanks!!
Does that mean the SVC guys are right in pointing out the defective tyre to be the culprit?
Old 18th July 2019, 14:44   #962
Senior - BHPian

Just need a suggestion from existing owners, I am looking to buy Continental GT 650. Looking at issues specially related to tyres, I am confused whether I should buy one now or wait for a few more months before RE sorts out or releases updated version for the bike with Alloy wheels. I am in no hurry to buy the bike and am willing to wait, Please pour your inputs.
Old 18th July 2019, 16:27   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Just need a suggestion from existing owners, I am looking to buy Continental GT 650. Looking at issues specially related to tyres, I am confused whether I should buy one now or wait for a few more months before RE sorts out or releases updated version for the bike with Alloy wheels. I am in no hurry to buy the bike and am willing to wait, Please pour your inputs.
The tyre issues may be sorted out by RE without much delay but I doubt that they will launch the twins with alloy wheels any time soon. The twins were advertised to be as close to the original interceptor as possible. So, introducing a model with alloys would not gel well with the sentiment. Probably they might do that a few years down the lane once the demand for the twins starts to decline. But, given the value for money and the affordability quotient the twins have, I believe the demand and the sales would have a positive trend for quite a few years.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 17:08   #964
BHPian

Quote:
IMO there wont be any updated version anytime soon, RE already has their hands full with updating the UCE lineup. We may have the alloys as an accessory soon. If you are in no hurry and can wait for a year, then it is always better to wait until the niggles are sorted. However, I think RE would certainly raise the prices of the twins in the coming months, which could be around 20k range.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 19:48   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Royal Enfield is also in no hurry to deliver the bike to you!

I would suggest you to book the bike and wait for delivery, that's enough waiting. Prices and features (Alloys) if added it'll be effective at the time of delivery.

Happy waiting!

--surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 20:36   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
The tyre issues may be sorted out by RE without much delay but I doubt that they will launch the twins with alloy wheels any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
IMO there wont be any updated version anytime soon, RE already has their hands full with updating the UCE lineup. We may have the alloys as an accessory soon.
Thanks. You guys seem tobe right, I went to the showroom today and asked about alloys or any update in coming months to which the showroom guy clearly denied. They have a ICE Queen ready for delivery but I want Chrome version to which they said would take a waiting of 15 days which to me is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Royal Enfield is also in no hurry to deliver the bike to you!
Happy waiting!

--surjaonwheelz
Looks like Gods are clearing the path, as I mentioned above the Chrome version if I book it tomorrow will be delivered with in 15 days as per the RE sales person. I dont know how true that commitement is.

BTW, The ICE Queen option is of April manufacturing, I have asked them that I want only May or June Manufactured bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Buddy, I can assure you that both the bash plate as well as the engine guards are of good quality. They serve the purpose they are built for. Why dont you order it directly from Zana website. Delivery is smooth and packing is also good. Attaching a picture of my ‘ Hakuna Matata’ for reference of both the accessories being discussed. Cheers!!
Hi, Can you share the details of the workshop where you got the powder coating done. Did the process involve dismantling every part that is tobe powder coated?
In that case is'nt it a risky procedure.

Last edited by SDP : 19th July 2019 at 08:41. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 22:15   #967
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks!!
Does that mean the SVC guys are right in pointing out the defective tyre to be the culprit?
Cant be concluded, will have to change and see to be certain.

Also at the time of installation there wouldn't be any wobbles as such most likely, concerns only pop up after you ride for a bit, as in the case of the Ceat's I had on my P220, which started acting up after 10k kms.
Old 18th July 2019, 22:22   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I quite liked that exhaust and would like to go for my bike if it is not louder than the stock ones. . Could you please share the details, audio clip and a picture from back .
Well the exhausts are not that loud. They still need some tinkering to make the sound as per my liking. These are the screaming eagle exhausts which were made for the HD iron 883. They fit snuggly to the frame thus reducing the bulk aka the RD 350 :-)
Shall upload the sound clip of the exhaust note in a day or two.
Quote:
Hi, Can you share the details of the workshop where you got the powder coating done. Did the process involve dismantling every part that is tobe powder coated?
In that case is'nt it a risky procedure.

Mods : Sorry for back to back posts, please merge the consecutive posts.
Buddy, I got this done from a custom modification workshop from my home town Ludhiana. Yes, the process involves dismantling pretty much the whole bike which is a little scary I admit, but if you have a guy who knows his job well, it makes the work easier. The powder coating of some parts and painting of the other was done pretty professionally and I am satisfied with the outcome. Need to see the long term stability of both.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-4ba4e02f55734782bf4cb30fe876f1a9.jpeg  

Last edited by isldhn : 18th July 2019 at 22:30. Reason: Adding photograph
isldhn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 23:58   #969
BHPian

Hey I need an input on the wobbling issue reported here, on my way back from office today I just let off my hands from the handle bar and the front end was just going crazy. But this is something I've observed with almost all bikes, is this the concern here or is it that the fronend is wobbling even when handle bar is held. I'm sorry to be naive here but I just wanted to understand it a bit better, if the issue is something I need to get noticed by my svc I would be happy to get it fixed.
Old 19th July 2019, 00:49   #970
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks!!
Hi there. Just a thought, if already checked, please ignore.

Can you have a close look at the triple clamp and see if both the forks are topped evenly?

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 19th July 2019, 01:32   #971
BANNED

Hey guys, here's a small cut out from Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, this demonstrates how the motorcycle self corrects(handlebar movement) by design, I've added the extended video link in the video description.

As mentioned in the video this is done without any intervention by the rider and is the effect of the front end being set at a rake angle.

Hope this helps in your understanding of the concern, when there are offset forces acting on the motorcycle it tends to result in the motorcycle aggressively making corrections as a result you observe aggravated wobble.

The same can be even caused by rough riding surfaces, hence why when tackling tough terrains seasoned off-roaders advice to have a lighter grip on the bars as to prevent preventing the motorcycle from making self corrections.

The motorcycle by design intends to always maintain a straight line and hence we have advanced riding techniques that teach us not to overdo our part and prevent the motorcycle from doing its job, here's an example.

Hope that helps,
Ride Safe.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 01:50   #972
BHPian

Quote:
I got my GT around 9 days ago and i am loving every bit of it, being in running in period it's very hard to control the urge to twist the throttle but i am holding up pretty well . And there aren't any issues which I have noticed, get the bike, you 'll love it. And it's a brand new bike we won't get any changes soon, moreover they are in great demand so there's no chance of any refresh.
And like you i also wanted the chrome edition but some members here informed me that the chrome tank is available for around 10k ₹, so you can always purchase a colour of your choice and get the chrome tank later on. Moreover black and chrome variants have grey wheels and grey mudguards, less dust and grime shows on them and because of the same coloured parts it's easy to covert from black to chrome . Whereas ice queen and dr mahem have black rims and black mudguards, but you can always slap on the chrome tank on them as well.
I got the black magic variant and wanted to put on the chrome tank, but after looking at it in real i changed my mind, it looks great in black. Don't forget to get the bar end mirrors, they are great ergonomically and aesthetically.
p.s. Getting a fuel economy of 28 kmpl in city conditions
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190718_135054.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:44   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Buddy, I got this done from a custom modification workshop from my home town Ludhiana. Yes, the process involves dismantling pretty much the whole bike which is a little scary I admit, but if you have a guy who knows his job well, it makes the work easier. The powder coating of some parts and painting of the other was done pretty professionally and I am satisfied with the outcome. Need to see the long term stability of both.
Thanks for the reply. Seems I would have to skip on this part, but I absolutely love the black treatment. Will be booking the bike today or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I got my GT around 9 days ago and i am loving every bit of it, being in running in period it's very hard to control the urge to twist the throttle but i am holding up pretty well .
P.s. Getting a fuel economy of 28 kmpl in city conditions

Thanks for the info. BTW, one question did you encounter the wobbling issue or the tank cap rubber gasket wearing issue ?

Also, need to know that almost all the people are talking about Pirelli tyres being in the range of 15K for a set. While I searched the net, I found similar spec tyres from other brands for 3500-5000 range. One link for rear tyre is given below :

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07QKYF2K7/

Should'nt for this bike as it comes with ABS, for Normal usage just about any hard compound tyre should do the job ?
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:15   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Seems I would have to skip on this part, but I absolutely love the black treatment. Will be booking the bike today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. BTW, one question did you encounter the wobbling issue or the tank cap rubber gasket wearing issue ?

Also, need to know that almost all the people are talking about Pirelli tyres being in the range of 15K for a set. While I searched the net, I found similar spec tyres from other brands for 3500-5000 range. One link for rear tyre is given below :

Should'nt for this bike as it comes with ABS, for Normal usage just about any hard compound tyre should do the job ?
I haven't faced any issue with my bike, maybe the issue is with interceptor. I took test drives from two dealership and i drove pretty fast, no wobbling or any handling issues. And about the tank cap gasket, let's wait and watch.
When it comes to tyres we can use any good quality ones, doesn't matter, just the grip levels won't be that good as compared to the stock ones but who corners everyday in India? Duke/RC 390 comes with metzelers and they are pretty expensive as well, most of the people don't opt for them afterwards.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:31   #975
BHPian

Quote:

Agreed, any other tyre with same specs will do. I also feel that 15k for Pirelli PSC is exaggerated by RE given almost nil existence of a market for these tyres of size 18 in India. Aren't PSDs which came as stock on GT535 available for 4-5k apiece, while RE sold them for 9k?

Having said that, I'll try and source PSCs once they're worn out on my INT because the confidence these tyres offer is really good. I believe having these tyres contributes a lot towards twins' brakes being so good! Tyres (along with a lot of other components) have a huge part to play in handling of the motorcycle as well. I don't know if there is an upgrade in the same price range. Unless I find something on this forum, I'll stick to Pirelli PSCs.

I don't have a lot of experience on other motorcycles, but on my C350, even with that horrible rear drum brake I have learnt how important are the tyres. Around 20k kms mark, switched to Ralco Speedblaster rear tyre (120/80-18) for a monsoon ride and never went back to MRF again. I'm already running my 2nd Ralco (changed around 32k). It is definitely an upgrade over stock MRFs but in case of twins it might be a downgrade. Of course, I don't have any numbers/proof to say that it will be. Given how crisp the brakes on my INT are, I don't want to disturb anything that would affect it even if it saves my a couple of grands.

Last edited by LazyGunner : 19th July 2019 at 12:34. Reason: More information added
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks