Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 09:19   #661
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
If the oil is not visible in the picture then just mark the area where the oil is. Probably its the rocker cover gasket. Just a bit of silicon will take care of it.
Here is the picture (engine viewed from left side):

The thin oil film appears within the area marked in red. As you can see the rubber insert on the extreme left is completely dry but the middle one and right one is smeared with oil and this has caused the gum to weaken and inserts comes off easily while cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc04562i.jpg  

Old 16th February 2011, 09:40   #662
Senior - BHPian

Cant make out from the picture if the oil is coming from the rocker cover or some place else. But looks like the top fin is free from oil so less chances of oil leak from the rocker cover.

Take it to your dealer and get the head bolts checked, its normal for the head bolts to get loose over time and if not attended in time then a new head gasket needs to be put in.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:55   #663
BHPian

@ Randhawa : My friend did as you had advised and has got positive results. He has asked me to convey his regards and gratitude to you.

@ Sunil : Congratulation friend. That is a nice Machine you got and a +1 to your aesthetic sense.

@ San : Did this leak arise after a water service ? There are specific instructions in the manual not to point high pressure water on the engine especially the rubber seals. Our service stations are just doing this

I just want to make sure the way I use the clutch is OK. Here is what I do in rush hour traffic (we have bad roads in Trivandrum to add to our burden). When slow rolling I usually select the 2nd gear, engaging and disengaging clutch as I roll on. Should I downshift to 1st and fully let the clutch out and disengage only when the machine completely stops. One more thing I would like to know and that is the speed band you guys use in each gear. I ride like this :
1st gear 0-10
2nd gear 10-25
3rd gear 25-35
4th gear 35-50
5th gear 50 and above
I usually downshift as follows
below 50 -4th
below 35-3rd
below 20-2nd
below 5- 1st.
I want your expert advice on this and would like to know how you handle the clutch to gear to speed combination.
Regards Adrian
Old 16th February 2011, 14:12   #664
Senior - BHPian

@Adrian- No problemo, we all are here to help each other in need.

Washing has nothing to do with a oil leak, in fact if you leave the ignition switch and wiring behind the headlight then all is well.

For 5th gear avoid shifting at 50 and do it at 55 instead. 50-55 still leaves a bit of chance for lugging. Engaging and disengaging clutch is fine just make sure you don't ride with half clutch.

I usually change gear when I feel the revvs going high. But thats in sedate riding mode.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:57   #665
BHPian

Quote:
@Adrian-

Washing has nothing to do with a oil leak, in fact if you leave the ignition switch and wiring behind the headlight then all is well.

I beg to differ slightly ! Highly pressurized water jet to the engine packing, for sure, will damage them.
Now that you refered to washing, the RE manual says to cover up the exhaust, carburator, ignition etc etc while washing. Never seen these type of instructions adhered to any other bikes. So Why?
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 16th February 2011 at 16:02.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:30   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post

@ San : Did this leak arise after a water service ? There are specific instructions in the manual not to point high pressure water on the engine especially the rubber seals. Our service stations are just doing this
No. This started after 2nd service but they didnt do any water service. Only thing I told them was FE was low so they were supposed to do some tuning on that.

@Sanjeet: the fins may mislead you as I cleaned them last night. Perhaps I will post another picture after riding few km.

regards
san
Old 17th February 2011, 01:54   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I beg to differ slightly ! Highly pressurised water jet to the engine packing, for sure, will damage them.
Now that you referred to washing, the RE manual says to cover up the exhaust, carburator, ignition etc etc while washing. Never seen these type of instructions adhered to any other bikes. So Why?
Regards Adrian
I have a C5 with more electrical things to go wrong then your bull and I have the pressurised washer installed at my home. Till this date the only electrical problem I have ever faced was with the ignition switch apart from only one fused pilot lamp in 21k.

Please elaborate engine packing as to which part of engine are you referring to and what material is it made off which can get damage by pressurised water and not by engine heat or compression.

By saying you have never read anything about advisory note from a two wheel manufacturer about washing. Are you sure about it? What special do other bikes have which makes them invincible to high pressure washing for the manufacturer to not give any advisory note?

Honestly tell me if you have ever faced any problem with your bikes electrical switches till now.

Its good practice to use pressurised air to dry out so you don't blame the manufacturer for not mentioning in the manual.

There are plenty of people out there who are bigger threat to themselves then the weapons of mass destruction and for sake of such people with no technical common sense, companies issues advisory notes in the manual.

Just to save themselves from these kind of people and to save the new vehicles from being slaughtered, HYUNDAI India does not supply a tool kit anymore with new vehicles apart from saving few hundred Rs for it.

Its like the woman in USA who sued Starbucks for millions of dollars because she couldn't handle a cup of hot coffee which she paid for. Just because Starbucks did not write advisory note on the cup of hot coffee saying its hot coffee.

Its all about common sense. I hope you got my point in a +ve way.

@stnair- Can you check the area around the left spark plug and the stud next to it for any oil?
Old 17th February 2011, 10:44   #668
BHPian

Hi Friends. I'm about to sell my Karizma and go for a Bull.

Like the Karizma, the bull also has tubed tyres and that is a major concern for me for long rides.

I wanted to know if anyone has changed the tyres to tubed ones and if so, what brand and size.
Old 17th February 2011, 17:54   #669
BHPian

Quote:
I have a C5 with more electrical things to go wrong then your bull and I have the pressurised washer installed at my home. Till this date the only electrical problem I have ever faced was with the ignition switch apart from only one fused pilot lamp in 21k.

Please elaborate engine packing as to which part of engine are you referring to and what material is it made off which can get damage by pressurised water and not by engine heat or compression.

By saying you have never read anything about advisory note from a two wheel manufacturer about washing. Are you sure about it? What special do other bikes have which makes them invincible to high pressure washing for the manufacturer to not give any advisory note?

Honestly tell me if you have ever faced any problem with your bikes electrical switches till now.

Its good practice to use pressurised air to dry out so you don't blame the manufacturer for not mentioning in the manual.

There are plenty of people out there who are bigger threat to themselves then the weapons of mass destruction and for sake of such people with no technical common sense, companies issues advisory notes in the manual.

Just to save themselves from these kind of people and to save the new vehicles from being slaughtered, HYUNDAI India does not supply a tool kit anymore with new vehicles apart from saving few hundred Rs for it.

Its like the woman in USA who sued Starbucks for millions of dollars because she couldn't handle a cup of hot coffee which she paid for. Just because Starbucks did not write advisory note on the cup of hot coffee saying its hot coffee.

Its all about common sense. I hope you got my point in a +ve way.

Hey friend,
This is a discussion on how to keep our machines healthy and as such all comments will be taken positively. The engine packing, be it rocker cover or crankcase packing, will be made of rubber compounts, silicon or asbestos. After bearing the heat from the engine over time they undergo change and lose their elasticity resulting in them being more brittle. Now don't underestimate water. High pressured jets of water are used to cut metal in lathe and they sure can drill holes in rocks. So where does a brittle packing stand against a pointed compressed water jet? I am saying this on my experience on my Bolero where my coolant pump packing was destroyed after a high pressured water service. I am very much aware that my technical knowledge base is the size of a stone and yours is the size of moon ! But I will stick to my experience and will never point a high pressure compressor assisted water jet on my machine.
Regards Adrian
Old 17th February 2011, 18:27   #670
Senior - BHPian

You still did not get my point. Lets be happy with our own experiences and understanding.
Old 17th February 2011, 19:40   #671
Senior - BHPian

No one usually pressure sprays their engine block unnecessarily. I don't have a pressurized system, I usually just spray wash it. Never faced any issues.

If it isn't the Rocker head gasket that is responsible for the leak, then what is? @San I hope your plugs aren't fouled.
Old 17th February 2011, 20:19   #672
Senior - BHPian

Possible causes for leak

1. From rocker gasket
2. Head studs next to booth the plugs
3. Head gasket if the head is loose or damaged head gasket, made of aluminium
4. Worse case-damaged head but highly unlikely
Old 17th February 2011, 20:38   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
If it isn't the Rocker head gasket that is responsible for the leak, then what is? @San I hope your plugs aren't fouled.
Plugs are clean. I removed the plug and checked. If oil comes from there, the plug and its bolt end should be covered with oil but thats not there.

I think its probably from under the rocker cover. Loose head bolt will produce unusual noise while running and also smoke ??

Due to a parking problem in office, I am not able to take Bullu daily these days. So checking and trouble shooting is taking time.

One more doubt- If the service guys topped up engine oil too much during last service, Will it cause a leak like this ?

regards
san
Old 17th February 2011, 23:19   #674
Senior - BHPian

If your plug is loose then you will get fuel not oil

I cant make out much from the picture but here is my opinion.

Lets rule out the loose head theory because if you had a loose head then you would have cracker going off kind of noise during warm up on acceleration and possibly some white smoke from a certain side of head. Sometimes the head can be loose enough to leak oil but still not make any noise until the head gasket gets damaged. In case of loose head/damaged gasket , oil would have not reached the top fins and the block seems dry enough.

Now you have mentioned no oil near plugs which confirms any possibility of loose head.

We are left with only Rocker cover gasket and I'll leave the worse case scenario for good.

You can either replace the rocker cover gasket or reuse it with a bit of silicon and the oil leakage will stop. Its a DIY job and wont take more then 15 minutes to do it. If you have a LKey set and size 14 socket with wrench then you can DIY.

Regarding overfilled oil, it will have no effect above the block and head. As the oil pressure is regulated by the oil pump which can not provide more oil above its capacity even if there is more oil in the crank case. Over filled with engine oil can leak oil through the crank breather and seals on the kick shaft and main shaft.

Viscosity plays a part in oil leakage too.

Last edited by Randhawa : 17th February 2011 at 23:23.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:12   #675
BHPian

Naughty Rascal playing games with me ?? Rode 45km yesterday and today morning with speeds varying from 40kmph to 90 kmph and not a single drop of oil leak !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks