Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 21:35   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

First clean the fins and observe. Once you are sure its coming form the rocker cover then I'll guide you to DIY if you intent to do it. Provided you get the tools necessary to accomplish the job.

If you gave the bike for servicing after the tank full and then calculated the average, there is a possibility of fuel taken out at the service centre and you ended you with lower mileage.

Last edited by Randhawa : 21st February 2011 at 21:37.
Old 21st February 2011, 23:07   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
First clean the fins and observe. Once you are sure its coming form the rocker cover then I'll guide you to DIY if you intent to do it. Provided you get the tools necessary to accomplish the job.

If you gave the bike for servicing after the tank full and then calculated the average, there is a possibility of fuel taken out at the service centre and you ended you with lower mileage.
Thanks. I will get back to you soon.

I calculate mileage on a reserve - to - reserve basis. More accurate and no spillage. (Full tank means you cant put bike on side stand)

regards
san
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:37   #693
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm fair enough. Do address it asap.

A new development at my end. The choking was there again. The bike sort of dies on you suddenly. Idling is okay, otherwise acceleration is okay, no observable smoke either.
I drove my Bull after a long time on Saturday. I rode around 30 kms and that was perfect. The choking problem started towards the end of the Sunday ride. I must mention here that I was riding in the rain then. (Could moisture be the culprit as well?) Today the problem returned with a lot more vigor. The morning idle was horrible. It was almost impossible to rev the engine even a bit after 2 mins of idling. This is usually not the case.

Is it time for carb cleaning?

I wish these bikes required lesser maintenance. I also got a nasty rash thanks to my gloves. Not a good start to the day. :(
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:37   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Many reasons:
  • My previous experiences with service centre not good and want to avoid if possible. They have a habit of "pooh pooh"ing my problems as silly day dreams.
  • I have to be sure of the oil leak that its not a false alarm. The leak is very very little and hardly noticeable unless you examine very closely without cleaning the fins for several days.
  • I have a habit of applying WD-40 here and there. Perhaps I accidently spilled it on the fins ?
  • I want to improve my DIY skills. If its from the rocker cover as Randhawa says - which I also suspect, then I should be able to take care of it myself.
  • Lastly- No time to go to service centre. Quite busy in office for past few days.
The service centre guys here are too busy. So let me first make sure that my problem is not imaginary and I wont be able to take care of it myself. Also the first time I went for service, they messed up the rear axle cams. 2nd time, they messed up with my chain and I had a really tough time cleaning it. I had to spend one whole day for adjusting the rear brake springs. They didnt do anything for my sleeve scuffing, front wheel not rotating freely and also reduced mileage - says everything is my imagination.

So tell me why should I go to service centre?

regards
san
Welcome to the service stations in God's own country. Their motto :The customer is always wrong !

@ Essyouwe : You didnot mention anything about how you tackled your ABS
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:18   #695
Senior - BHPian

I have done nothing about it yet. It is still there. It seems I'll need to spend a whole day at the workshop. Unfortunately that will have to wait. It can only be done in March now.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:10   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hmmm fair enough. Do address it asap.

A new development at my end. The choking was there again. The bike sort of dies on you suddenly. Idling is okay, otherwise acceleration is okay, no observable smoke either.
I drove my Bull after a long time on Saturday. I rode around 30 kms and that was perfect. The choking problem started towards the end of the Sunday ride. I must mention here that I was riding in the rain then. (Could moisture be the culprit as well?) Today the problem returned with a lot more vigor. The morning idle was horrible. It was almost impossible to rev the engine even a bit after 2 mins of idling. This is usually not the case.

Is it time for carb cleaning?

I wish these bikes required lesser maintenance. I also got a nasty rash thanks to my gloves. Not a good start to the day. :(
Hey friend, As our Bulls are having vented Gasoline tanks, there is a possibility of moisture being absorbed from the atmosphere. The lower the gas level, the more the vapor formation. The evaporating gasoline leaves a sediment as well which may clog the air jets of the carburator. So it would be better to ride on after a carburator cleaning.
Regards Adrian
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:22   #697
Senior - BHPian

Exactly what I feel is the case. Lets see, will need to take out time for this. Have another 60-70 kms of riding to do in the evening. The severity of the situation should be clear by tonight.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:28   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what I feel is the case. Lets see, will need to take out time for this. Have another 60-70 kms of riding to do in the evening. The severity of the situation should be clear by tonight.
Be on the alert as your bull may not respond to a quick twist of the throttle. Ride safe
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 22nd February 2011 at 12:30.
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:52   #699
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Rode this evening for ~70-80kms. The ride was much better today. No hiccups at all. The bike accelerated just as it should have.
However, I will still get it serviced asap. Something just doesn't feel right. :(

@San
How is the oil leak coming along?
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:47   #700
BHPian

Hey friends and experts,
Couple of things I would like to know :

1. Is it ok to have a small oil smear around the tappet door ?

2. Can we be absolutely sure that the rear wheel is correctly aligned if the cam
gear notches are equal on both sides ?

3. Any adjustments available to move the rear mudguard left or right ?

4. How do you guys come out of the auto decompression phase on the first start in the morning ? I usually give a wee bit of throttle as completely letting go of the throttle kills the engine. Now is this ok?

Regards Adrian
Old 24th February 2011, 00:29   #701
Senior - BHPian

@Achint-"Something just doesn't feel right." :( Is it simply love, passion, obsession, intuition, 6th sense or REB telepathy

@Adrian

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Just use the choke if necessary in the morning but avoid whacking throttle. You can use throttle only if not using choke or you run a risk of fouling plugs.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:16   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Achint-"Something just doesn't feel right." :( Is it simply love, passion, obsession, intuition, 6th sense or REB telepathy

@Adrian

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Just use the choke if necessary in the morning but avoid whacking throttle. You can use throttle only if not using choke or you run a risk of fouling plugs.
Thanks Randhawa..
Regarding the tappet door oil leak (wipe the packing of the door and you get a very minute smear on your fingers), What would be the cause of the leak and would tightening with allen keys suffice ?
During morning starts I some time use choke and as soon as the machine starts, I push it back and gently (very very) give the throttle to keep the machine from coughing out. This I do till the machine exits the auto decompression mode. Is this the right procedure or should I keep the choke on and leave the throttle alone till the machine warms up ?
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 24th February 2011 at 10:18.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:35   #703
Senior - BHPian

Your methodology for warm-up sounds perfect. Opinions differ on how long the choke ought to be held. As Sanjeet said, just avoid going WOT. Slight revving to keep the mill rolling would be fine.

RE mechs kick the mudguard to align it.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:58   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Your methodology for warm-up sounds perfect. Opinions differ on how long the choke ought to be held. As Sanjeet said, just avoid going WOT. Slight revving to keep the mill rolling would be fine.

RE mechs kick the mudguard to align it.
No wonder RE asked Jean Claude Van Damme to join the team.

Can the rear number plate, brake light assembly be removed by acessing the nut under the mud guard ? New RE machines have no provision for allen keys in their exhaust pipes. It gives a more round exhaust note though.

Last edited by adrian : 24th February 2011 at 11:01.
Old 24th February 2011, 11:47   #705
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the brake light assy. I guess it should be. I think Nasirkaka's rear brake light was changed when he took a tumble.

About the exhaust, where have they eliminated it? The heat shield? How different is the exhaust note?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks