Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 11:59   #706
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

I presume that your bike had (in the stock silencer) two allen key nuts near the rear end of the exhaust which some body commented that can be opened and glass wool taken out and all that. It is not there any more. Regarding the sound, I can hear the exhaust note with a full face helmet I think you can see the exhaust in Sunil's electra.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ership-44.html

Last edited by adrian : 24th February 2011 at 12:01.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:11   #707
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I did not know that. Or probably have forgotten about it.

I have my stock and upswept lying at a friends place. :P

My short bottle is pretty decent I think. I wonder what can be used for a bassy note. Glasswool doesn't last very long, does it?
Old 24th February 2011, 12:25   #708
BHPian

I have seen these exhaust with allen key provisions in a couple of classics in our city. Not sure if it is an RE thing or a modded one. I had rode a std 350 uce with a short bottle and yes the note was pretty neat. In old CIs people put a rubber cap like thing at the tip of the exhaust to get a round sound. Have no idea on the glass wool thing. The air filter in the new std350 has been moved into the RHS tool box from the square box in the right side. Here is the link on the glass wool filling and the allen key thing.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...bullets-2.html

Last edited by adrian : 24th February 2011 at 12:30. Reason: More data found. so updating
Old 24th February 2011, 17:11   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Thanks Randhawa..
Regarding the tappet door oil leak (wipe the packing of the door and you get a very minute smear on your fingers), What would be the cause of the leak and would tightening with allen keys suffice ?
During morning starts I some time use choke and as soon as the machine starts, I push it back and gently (very very) give the throttle to keep the machine from coughing out. This I do till the machine exits the auto decompression mode. Is this the right procedure or should I keep the choke on and leave the throttle alone till the machine warms up ?
Regards Adrian
Are you sure its from the tappet window and not from the block? Anyways if it's from there then let RE do it for you because the LK bolts on the plate is very weak. Little bit of force will damage the head and you will be left frustrated. There is no packing used as on CI bulls. Its just a bit of silicon.

As long as you don't twist the throttle you can use whatever works for you. Can use the choke for a minute without any squeeze to throttle.

Quote:

Can the rear number plate, brake light assembly be removed by acessing the nut under the mud guard ?.
Yes
Old 25th February 2011, 11:04   #710
BHPian

Thanks again Randhawa, the smear is from the tappet door. Checked this by fixing adhesive tape on top joint of the window and found oil smear under the tape only. Will get the job done by RE service.
Regards Adrian
Old 25th February 2011, 18:15   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
... The air filter in the new std350 has been moved into the RHS tool box from the square box in the right side...
Sure its a recent change? The last gen CI350's had air filters inside RH tool box, was there any change with initial lot Uce Std's.

Quote:
Valve terrain
its Valve train
Old 26th February 2011, 10:38   #712
BHPian

Hi Rennjith,
Have seen couple of standard UCEs with the square box on RHS marked "Air filter; clean after so and so kms". That is the reason why I thought it is an update. Really it is not.. is it? Any ways that left with the two tool box occupied.. one with the air filter and the other with the fuse carrier and all that.

@ Sunil : Have you felt that your electra has a more round exhaust note when compared to the 2010 lot ?

Regards Adrian
Old 26th February 2011, 22:12   #713

Hey guys,
I have booked my Classic 350 Black in Jan this year. Will be owning one by Sept (darn). I have been following this thread for a long time now.Read about all the pros & cons but still excited to own one. Nothing seems to change my mind. Just the joy of riding a RE is good enough for me to stick to my decision. The head-turning looks, the royal thump, the joy of owning a beast, the list goes on & on. Cant expect those when you spend 4 yrs of your life riding B.Discover. Cant wait to ride mine & make some BJs & HHs go blue & green.
Like they say, "There are some people who make dust & then there are those WHO EAT IT!!"

Cheers & Peace,
Girish K.
Old 27th February 2011, 17:06   #714
Senior - BHPian

Haha Girish! Congrats on your decision.

Black Bulls look super hot. Hope to see you around this thread now!

Have you driven any of the Bulls before?
Old 27th February 2011, 19:06   #715
BHPian

Update on oil leak situation:

Today I dismantled the petrol tank, removed both spark plugs and examined. The area around the spark plugs and the two Head nuts near the spark plugs are smeared with oil. It also leaks through the water drain hole on the right side of engine.

So now I am sure the oil leak is from the Inlet rocker cover near to Carburettor on top of the engine. I did not have the suitable ellen key to open it and examine. When I touch the joint area, oil gets smeared on my fingers whereas the exhaust rocker cover is completely dry.

Gurus, please give a DIY on how to prevent oil leak from here. What size ellen key is required? Should I buy another gasket and is it available in market? what is the sealant used?

regards
san
Old 27th February 2011, 22:42   #716

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Have you driven any of the Bulls before?
Ess, have you ever come to realize the importance of something that you have owned previously & now lost??? Simply put, we used to own one ages ago. Dont even recollect the type. Just remember seeing a pic in the family album (now long lost) of me sitting on it. Got sold. And now I have to wait 8 months to get one again.
And just for the records, for the last 2 yrs or so, I have come to fall in love with another one of those classic machines that are now slowly getting extinct from the roads. HM manf Contessa. I have plans of getting those in the near future as well & getting it mod'ed into an Impala/Dodge Challenger. And here's the catch, we owned one of those too, 9 yrs back which got sold as well.

Sticking to the topic, can't wait to get me hands on the 350 now. Envy you guys who ride it everyday.

Cheers & Peace,
Girish K.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:42   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post

Today I dismantled the petrol tank, removed both spark plugs and examined. The area around the spark plugs and the two Head nuts near the spark plugs are smeared with oil. It also leaks through the water drain hole on the right side of engine.

So now I am sure the oil leak is from the Inlet rocker cover near to Carburettor on top of the engine. I did not have the suitable ellen key to open it and examine. When I touch the joint area, oil gets smeared on my fingers whereas the exhaust rocker cover is completely dry.

Gurus, please give a DIY on how to prevent oil leak from here. What size ellen key is required? Should I buy another gasket and is it available in market? what is the sealant used?

regards
san
Hi San, Allen keys are available @ Rs.250/- per box (Taparia) which will contain all the sizes you would need to assemble the bull.
Regards Adrian
Old 28th February 2011, 14:12   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post

regards
san
Hi San,

I too had the same leak problem. in my case, it started before i went in for my second service. They had replaced one of the gaskets for the rocker cover. last week i had got the third service done. this time round it was the washer for the allen bolts which was leaking (not a major one, but still a leak that could be made out with bare eyes). This was also replaced. They also replaced the gasket too since they had to open the rocker cover to fix the issue. They never used any sealant, as far i saw. The gasket itself has a protrusion will match the grove on the rocker cover. Funny part was that they did not have a matching washer, so had to compromise with a slightly bigger one which did the job though.

When is your next service due? If its in the near future, i would suggest that you get it done by the service team. to put your mind at rest, you could "guide" them about how you want it done. worked fine for me here in bangalore.

OT: i have managed to break both of my size 10 spanners which came with the toolkit while trying to remove the pillion seat. finally had to fallback on the couple of spanners which had been serving our family for more than 15years to get the job done.

Regards,
Vj
Old 28th February 2011, 15:26   #719
Senior - BHPian

@Stnair- Rocker gasket is available only at RE workshop and its under Rs 50 each. Either get a pair or specify what side gasket you need that is if you don't want to use silicon to repair oil leak. If you are using a new gasket then you dont need the silicon. Just remove it, replace the old gasket with new one and you are done.

You would need size 5 LN key. Remove the cover and the rubber gasket, then clean the head where the gasket sits on the head. Make sure it's totally oil free. Do the same on the rocker cover where the gasket fits in. Then apply silicon in the groove on the rocker cover and a bit on the base of the gasket after you fit the gasket in the rocker cover. reverse assemble the rocker cover and tighten it properly. Thats all.
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-img_0020.jpg
Old 28th February 2011, 19:33   #720
BHPian

@randhawa, vinjosep, adrian

Thankyou guys. I will try this weekend.

regards
san

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks