Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:55   #736
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Adrian: Beam height cannot be adjusted on these models, is true.
Tappets adjust themselves, is also true cause these are hydraulic as on Harley Davidsons
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:07   #737
BHPian

@bradhey : Thanks for clarifying friend, I remember the guy refering to hydraulics when stating about the tappets. Just thought that the mechanic was pulling my leg
It is a pity that the beams cannot be adjusted. I have to work something out to bring the beams to the correct height as I dont want my vehicle to be a nuisance to oncoming traffic. Any ideas anyone ?
Regards Adrian
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:58   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ San : Thanks friend. Are you doing the service on completion of tenure or KM ?. I think I am not going to do 6000 in the said period.
Now during the service, when I talked to the mechanic he said two things
1. The head light cannot be adjusted (beam height)
Only 4300km run so far, so I booked for 3rd service since 6 months completed as per user manual.

Last time I fell from bullu, the headlight cap got damaged and had to be removed. To my surprise, without that cap, the beam height was exactly what i needed. - pointing to ground instead of at some fellow's face. The service station manager - a veteran bull runner told me its like that only - the company keeps that cap for fashion and its bull**** in real sense.

Since then I have refitted that cap, but kept a small piece of thick wire on the lower side between headlight glass and steel rim to keep the alignment pointed to ground.

regards
san
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:32   #739
BHPian

@San : Thank you Friend, So now I get the impression that 5 out of 10 bikes rolled out by RE has this problem. Now why are they not bothered with an important defect like this which could cause serious accidents during night rides ? 50 years in India and still no respect for traffic rules.
Regards Adrian
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:38   #740
BHPian

Quote:
@San : Thank you Friend, So now I get the impression that 5 out of 10 bikes rolled out by RE has this problem. Now why are they not bothered with an important defect like this which could cause serious accidents during night rides ? 50 years in India and still no respect for traffic rules.
Regards Adrian
50 years in India... and thats the problem with headlight - It was designed 50 years back when headlights had the power of mere candle lights. No need of beam adjustments then since no one will get hurt with such low power bulbs. But times have changed and now more powerful halogen...xenon...HID etc etc and RE needs to upgrade.

regards
San
Old 24th March 2011, 07:36   #741
BHPian

Quote:
@bradhey : Thanks for clarifying friend, I remember the guy refering to hydraulics when stating about the tappets. Just thought that the mechanic was pulling my leg
It is a pity that the beams cannot be adjusted. I have to work something out to bring the beams to the correct height as I dont want my vehicle to be a nuisance to oncoming traffic. Any ideas anyone ?
Regards Adrian
the beam can be adjusted downwards but an ugly gap will show up on the top between the h/l rim and casing. loosen the top screw, gently pull out the h/l assembly by about say 3-4 mm gap and then re-tighten. this will lower the beam for sure.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:32   #742
BHPian

@San : You are quite right. RE had installed beam adjustment options in models exported to Canada because they are mandatory in vehicles as per their local rules. They have taken the Indian customers for granted.
@Hollywoodhogan : Thank you friend, Would this adjustment cause water to seep into the headlight assembly ? If not, I am going for it.
Regards Adrian
Old 25th March 2011, 13:37   #743
BHPian

Quote:
@San : You are quite right. RE had installed beam adjustment options in models exported to Canada because they are mandatory in vehicles as per their local rules. They have taken the Indian customers for granted.
@Hollywoodhogan : Thank you friend, Would this adjustment cause water to seep into the headlight assembly ? If not, I am going for it.
Regards Adrian

no water problem since the gap has an overlap.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:23   #744
BHPian

Hi Friends, My bike had the problem of diving to the right when both hands were taken off the handle bar. (Don't think I ride handsoff, but yes I do that for checking the alignment on bikes and that too on empty roads ) During service, I complained it to the team and they checked the wheel alignment and adjusted the cams. Did it resolve the problem ? No. The bike still dives to the right when hands off. Other wise it is damn straight (no strain on the arms and no pulling to the sides). Do REBs have an equilibrium problem ? (More heavy to the right side)

@Hollywoodhogan : Thanks again friend.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:29   #745
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes. But don't take it for granted, get them to fix it.

Thankfully, my Classic doesn't. But I know of loads of people who complain about this.

I am taking my Bull for a service. Will get the minor niggles resolved as well.
Made a 50 km drive home from a T-BHP meat last night. It was sheer awesomeness!
Old 26th March 2011, 10:47   #746
BHPian

@ Essyouwe : What I meant was an uncorrectable balance problem (The wheel alignment in my bike is perfect now). My doubt is that it is due to the enormous size of the stock silencer. I think your bike is steady because you have changed to the short bottle. Am I right? (God knows)
Regards Adrian
Old 26th March 2011, 11:06   #747
Senior - BHPian

Mine did not dive even with the stock silencer/upswept. So, I don't really know if that is the reason.

If it doesn't hamper the riding experience, or cause pain in the shoulders, you can just let it be. Sometimes, you have to give one to the Bull. It just isn't possible to solve every problem.
Old 26th March 2011, 11:30   #748
BHPian

@Essyouwe: Hey friend, My machine is super comfy except for this hands off thing. May be my Bull likes to have both my hands on the handle all the time !(P.S :Security feature incorporated by RE to promote safe riding) Then again, could you indicate the areas I should look into for trouble shooting? I am learning one thing and thankfully not in the hard way and that is : Never be a perfectionist as far as your Bullet is concerned !!

How did the TBHP meet go ?
Regards Adrian
Old 26th March 2011, 13:59   #749
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, I have no idea. If the handle isn't tugging, it is probably an effect of the engine placement offset. Even a few mm can cause such swerving.

The meat was great! Check out the Gurgaon meet thread for more details. Nice discussions about Bulls and CI v/s UCE!
Old 26th March 2011, 19:56   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
... The meat was great! ... . Nice discussions about Bulls and CI v/s UCE!
Yeah, we know it'll be great when its of Bulls. CI or UCE!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks