Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2011, 10:29   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Monitor it for a couple of days more. So today the rubber inserts were also dry?

I ride today after over a month. Yay!
Old 19th February 2011, 12:37   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Monitor it for a couple of days more. So today the rubber inserts were also dry?

I ride today after over a month. Yay!
Yes. rubber inserts are dry. I am monitoring closely - let me ride few more days and observe.

Riding after a month? I cant leave him for 3 days !

regards
san
Old 19th February 2011, 19:57   #678
BHPian

Hi Guys

Here is what I found out: Oil leak happens only when the bike is parked on side stand. This is why yesterday there was no oil leak as I had parked both at office and home in centre stand. But today morning at office, I parked in side stand and by evening there was few drops on the fins.

Another issue: Fule efficiency dropped down to 32 kmpl. This time tyre pressure is ok - 22 front, 32 rear.

So what could be the problem ? Is both issues related ? Am waiting for some valuable inputs before hitting at the service station.

regards
san
Old 19th February 2011, 22:11   #679
Senior - BHPian

You still cant make out where the oil is coming from? Give another try for locating oil leak. Use shampoo in water and use a paint brush to clean the head/fins properly so that there is no oil left. Then after you ride it, park it and observe fins closely for any tell tales of possible source of oil leak.
Old 19th February 2011, 23:30   #680
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I don't have any idea. Sanjeet may be able to help you out with linking the two problems.

I would advise you to visit the service center pronto.
Old 20th February 2011, 20:21   #681
BHPian

Whats the purpose of this small hole on the right side of the engine fins?
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-reclassic500engine_hole.jpg  

Old 20th February 2011, 21:41   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Whats the purpose of this small hole on the right side of the engine fins?
that's a water drain hole from the top of the cylinder head.
Old 20th February 2011, 22:17   #683
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from a 30km ride in the rain. Froze my very fingers off. I still can't stop shivering. I have fallen in love with my Bull all over again.
The thought of picking up a Ninja had been bothering me for a while now. Even after discussing it with Sanjeet and deciding to wait for another year, I used to yearn for the Ninja every time I passed a Probiking showroom.
After going back to my Bull 2 days back, I have safely put away the thought of a Ninja. Maybe I'll revisit the idea an year from now.

One weird observation: Once while picking up in the first gear, the bull gasped. It was exactly like what happens when you hit reserve. I know that isn't the case as I filled in ~12 liters yesterday.
The bike seems tuned perfectly fine. Even though I found the top end slightly lacking, the acceleration at the low and mid-range was perfect. No backfiring either.
Not that its bothering me a lot, but anyone got any guess towards the reason for that small gasp?
Old 20th February 2011, 23:02   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
that's a water drain hole from the top of the cylinder head.
Thanks. Any chance of engine oil coming out of that ?
Old 20th February 2011, 23:15   #685
Senior - BHPian

@Achint- You cheeky sod having fun in the rain in Delhi. Not a single drop down here so far but a bit chilly.

Leave your dirty thought for a year, there will be plenty of fish in the sea by 2012

Regarding the gasp it could be just due to moisture or a overflowed carburettor/ stuck float. But it was only once so I guess your bull was having fun with you LOL.

@Stnair- Chance of engine oil coming from that hole is only if the oil is leaking from the rocker cover which will sneak down into the secondary plug cavity and also if the area around the secondary(thin) plug is dry then probably the hole is moist with oil/fuel fumes leaking from head gasket.

Last edited by Randhawa : 20th February 2011 at 23:19.
Old 21st February 2011, 02:44   #686
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm yeah. That is what I presumed it to be. Will ride again on Tuesday. Another 100km day! Yipee.

The short bottle has started sounding nice. I was thinking of moving to that Punjab one, but it just reeks of unsophistication! Its kind of like a thick pipe, that is all (not that the rest are heavily engineered)!

@San

Why exactly are you not going to the service center? :P
Old 21st February 2011, 12:24   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Hi Guys

Here is what I found out: Oil leak happens only when the bike is parked on side stand. This is why yesterday there was no oil leak as I had parked both at office and home in centre stand. But today morning at office, I parked in side stand and by evening there was few drops on the fins.

Another issue: Fule efficiency dropped down to 32 kmpl. This time tyre pressure is ok - 22 front, 32 rear.

So what could be the problem ? Is both issues related ? Am waiting for some valuable inputs before hitting at the service station.

regards
san
Low FE, wet fins when the bike is on side stand.... A Petrol leak ?!!
Regards Adrian
Old 21st February 2011, 15:14   #688
Senior - BHPian

A petrol leak leaves very discernible odor. San would have noticed it had their been a fuel leak. Right?
Old 21st February 2011, 15:43   #689
BHPian

Quote:
A petrol leak leaves very discernible odor. San would have noticed it had their been a fuel leak. Right?
Hey, Absolutely...I didn't think at that angle.
Regards Adrian
Old 21st February 2011, 20:52   #690
BHPian

Quote:
@San

Why exactly are you not going to the service center? :P
Many reasons:
  • My previous experiences with service centre not good and want to avoid if possible. They have a habit of "pooh pooh"ing my problems as silly day dreams.
  • I have to be sure of the oil leak that its not a false alarm. The leak is very very little and hardly noticeable unless you examine very closely without cleaning the fins for several days.
  • I have a habit of applying WD-40 here and there. Perhaps I accidently spilled it on the fins ?
  • I want to improve my DIY skills. If its from the rocker cover as Randhawa says - which I also suspect, then I should be able to take care of it myself.
  • Lastly- No time to go to service centre. Quite busy in office for past few days.
The service centre guys here are too busy. So let me first make sure that my problem is not imaginary and I wont be able to take care of it myself. Also the first time I went for service, they messed up the rear axle cams. 2nd time, they messed up with my chain and I had a really tough time cleaning it. I had to spend one whole day for adjusting the rear brake springs. They didnt do anything for my sleeve scuffing, front wheel not rotating freely and also reduced mileage - says everything is my imagination.

So tell me why should I go to service centre?

regards
san

Last edited by stnair : 21st February 2011 at 20:53. Reason: spelling mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks