Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 19:38   #241
BHPian

@ElectraTspark: The mechanic may be right. I wiped the part where there was oil deposition with a soft white tissue paper; analyzed the same and found that it was oil from the chain. I am using Motul spray-based chain lube and no more oil deposition. Why don't you try it yourself. Clean the chain with brush,cloth, spray Motul chain lube and observe for a day or two.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:11   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post

Fuel leaking form fuel cap if more than 10 liters of fuel is added to the tank - it is by design.
Change the gasket in the fuel tank cap. This isn't a design issue, rather an assembly/quality of gasket issue.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 8th April 2010, 11:15   #243

@RECL350: Thankyou for the suggestion. Even I was thinking about the same. Can you tell me the name and location of the place where you bought this from? Also how much did you pay for the Motul chain lube?
Old 8th April 2010, 11:50   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraTspark View Post
@bbkp: Thankyou for the suggestion. your point about a good mechanic is very true. I had been to HSR service centre. Per the head mechanic its not oil leaking from the engine but that of chain. He also said the chain in newer Bullets are of dry type and chain lubricants/sprays have to be used. However he also said that they use the regular lube oil which splashes all over.

What i did not understand is, why are they using lubricating oil instead or chain spray on a dry type chain. In my opinion this will reduce the life of chain.

@RECL350: Do you have any inputs for me on this?
Total Bollocks - The chain is supposed to be lubricated with a coating of WD40 spray and not dipped in oil to the extent that it drips oil - in any case, lubricating a chain cannot cause the entire engine block to blacken as you have suggested - it will at the best cause a few black spots on the engine.

Never Never and Never use anything other than WD40 spray on the chain - The chain will gather a lot of dust and grime if you go for anything else. This is something you cannot trust any mechanic on whether they have 'serviced' the chain or not - this is more of a DIY - better buy a spray of WD40 and once in a fortnight spray it directly onto the chain. The WD40 is a special grade lube that doesn't gather dust.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:26   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraTspark View Post
Can you tell me the name and location of the place where you bought this from? Also how much did you pay for the Motul chain lube?
It is sold in most of the automobile accessories shops. I bought it from RE authorized spares shop on JC road; don't remember the price.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-dsc00094.jpg  

Old 11th April 2010, 14:14   #246

@RECL350: Thank you for the picture. I'll buy it the next time I'am visiting J.C.Road.

@
bbkp: Thank you for the idea of using WD-40 for chain lubrication. But WD-40 is more of rust remover and light lubrication. And several people have tested the fact that application of WD-40 will be worse than not applying any lubrication. Here are a few links:

Why WD-40 is Bad for Your Bike Chain - Bicycle Tutor

WD-40 Okay For Chain Lube? (after wiping off excess) [Archive] - Ridemonkey.com

.It may work well as a cleaner before applying chain lube.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:02   #247
Senior - BHPian

A request to all- please do not not use WD40 for the chain. It will screwup the rubber o-rings on the chain. WD40 is not a lubricant.
Old 11th April 2010, 22:56   #248
Senior - BHPian

I second Sanjeet. WD40 can lubricate, but not for more than a few minutes. The OKS chain spray imho the best best in the market as it is way cheaper than Motul while lasting just as long as Motul. I picked up the OKS chain spary for about 220 rupees quite a while ago.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th April 2010, 00:57   #249
Senior - BHPian

Going for the exhaust change tomorrow most probably.

Wish me luck, hope the service guys don't try to kill my Bull again.

Old 14th April 2010, 07:07   #250
BHPian

Good luck EssYouWee. I will pray the transplant operation be a success

By the way pl tell what is her Odometer reading and the average fuel efficiency you are getting.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:14   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I second Sanjeet. WD40 can lubricate, but not for more than a few minutes. The OKS chain spray imho the best best in the market as it is way cheaper than Motul while lasting just as long as Motul. I picked up the OKS chain spary for about 220 rupees quite a while ago.

Cheers,

Jay
How long does it last, was planning on getting one but my friend told me that the sprays hardly lasts and instead go for SAE40 grade gear oil, or other liquid lube. Also is a cleaner necessary?
Old 14th April 2010, 19:27   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruva View Post
How long does it last, was planning on getting one but my friend told me that the sprays hardly lasts and instead go for SAE40 grade gear oil, or other liquid lube. Also is a cleaner necessary?
It lasts for at least 500 kilometers. I sprayed my chain with the OKS chain spray just before the Pune-BLR trip and the chain spray lasted for the entire distance of about 900 Kms. I use the chain spray once after every wash which usually is after two tankfuls. Gear/motor oil isn't a bad option but it makes a mess on the crankcase and I don't like that. Plus it doesn't spread as evenly as the chain spray.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th April 2010, 19:54   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I picked up the OKS chain spary for about 220 rupees...
Jay,

Any idea where can I buy OKS spray in Pune?

tia,

-BJ
Old 14th April 2010, 20:08   #254
BHPian

Quote:
It lasts for at least 500 kilometers. I sprayed my chain with the OKS chain spray just before the Pune-BLR trip and the chain spray lasted for the entire distance of about 900 Kms. I use the chain spray once after every wash which usually is after two tankfuls. Gear/motor oil isn't a bad option but it makes a mess on the crankcase and I don't like that. Plus it doesn't spread as evenly as the chain spray.

Cheers,

Jay
Thanks Jay, guess he said that cause he washes his bike every week, so the need to lube it often.Btw what do you use to clean the chain?
Regards.

Last edited by Dhruva : 14th April 2010 at 20:17.
Old 14th April 2010, 20:34   #255
Senior - BHPian

I got the upswept exhaust.

The exhaust note does not even remotely match my expectations. However, it does make the Classic sound more like a Bullet.
Its actually louder than I expected. :(
I wanted a quite but a bassy one. I guess I knew going in that it won't work out.

Anyways, I might revert back to the OE one.

Will be getting my second service done tomorrow. The Bull has done around 2000 kms.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks