Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2012, 09:11   #541
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Thanks for the video VB, I purchased the Jetta for its safety and solid planted drive. Good to know even after a refresh of the competition it still leads.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 11:15   #542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
Thanks for the video VB, I purchased the Jetta for its safety and solid planted drive. Good to know even after a refresh of the competition it still leads.
Indeed. I don't think any other car in this segment offer 6 airbags, ESP etc. as standard starting from the base variant. Happy that VW thought safety is more important than some other comfort features.

That said, I was a bit surprised to see the Fluence E4 quite a match to the Jetta in many of the compared parameters.
Old 8th July 2012, 13:27   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
... I was a bit surprised to see the Fluence E4 quite a match to the Jetta in many of the compared parameters.
Absolutely, from a non-contender, Renault it seems is serious about getting some decent numbers of the fluence on the roads and is ship shaping its game.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:35   #544
Senior - BHPian

@ipsanand

I feel the damage is mild and the bumper is still in tact at its contacts. Check with a friendly SA and find out if the damage is on the hinges and the bumper is now hanging by a thread.

If not you should continue to drive without any repair at this point.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 11:43   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@ipsanand

I feel the damage is mild and the bumper is still in tact at its contacts. Check with a friendly SA and find out if the damage is on the hinges and the bumper is now hanging by a thread.

If not you should continue to drive without any repair at this point.
Hinges seem to be okay, the frame is slightly bent... I will take your advise and at max get the frame sorted out in an aftermarket shop....
Old 11th July 2012, 23:55   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'AL' View Post
so although i had booked a white HL AT Jetta, ....
Finally took delivery on the 21st of June(i know it's been a long time but was kinda busy) and man the car looked gorgeous. it's my opinion(it may be biased :P) that the jetta looks best in moon rock silver among all the colors available in India(love the blue color that was there at the US launch of the Jetta)....
Congrats on your fantastic buy AL. Once you take it on the highway to stretch its long legs, you'll completely fall in love with her

Can you pls share some pics of the Moonrock color.
Hey sorry for the late reply, i have been a bit busy lately and did not have my phone with me so couldn't reply....anyway will surely post the pics in a few says. An interesting discovery i made is that the RCD system reads aac files via pen drive (got an mdi usb adapter for the same) but not through the sd card.
Old 20th July 2012, 12:25   #547
BHPian

Hey guys..

Was wondering if I should go in for an early service (say 10 - 12K) rather than waiting for the completion of 15K Kms - can't locate the exact post but had read on the forum that

1. It is a good practice to have the first oil change done earlier
2. Manufacturers do tend to give optimistic estimates of the service intervals
3. As a lot of our driving happens in city - bumper to bumper traffic - warrants an earlier change of engine oil

The second part is that I am not sure what oil is used by VW folks as OEM. I would ideally want to go for Mobil 1. In case VW does not use the same, can I procure it from outside & insist that they use the same?

I was looking at the Mobil site. They have mentioned 2 products -

Mobil 1 0W-40 & Mobil 1 5W-50

Clearly the former would be better in colder conditions & would have a longer operating life, the latter one would provide better protection at higher engine operating temperatures.

Considering that it never gets v v cold in central India I am gravitating towards 5W-50.

Any thoughts / suggestions?
Old 20th July 2012, 13:03   #548
Senior - BHPian

@Vkaul1

Personally stick to what they do in the service centre.

If they say 1 year or 15K kms, just stick to it. There are extensive threads about this TDI engine in various vortex and other forums where the service part of the maintenance is left to follow the service manual.

Also it helps you avoid any warranty based concerns. Yes you can take them to court and blah blah. I rather avoid the Blah blah than go through a painful process for it does not alter the behavior of the car.
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:07   #549
BHPian

Here you go... very sorry for the delay been super busy!!
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-imag0024.jpg
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-imag0025.jpg
'AL' is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 12:28   #550
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'AL' View Post
Here you go... very sorry for the delay been super busy!!
Attachment 960805
Attachment 960806
Thanks for the pics AL. I think the weather &/or the roof color is what is not making the TRUE color come out in these.

Congrats once again for the fantastic buy & happy motoring.

Will look forward to your ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Vkaul1

Personally stick to what they do in the service centre.

If they say 1 year or 15K kms, just stick to it. There are extensive threads about this TDI engine in various vortex and other forums where the service part of the maintenance is left to follow the service manual.

Also it helps you avoid any warranty based concerns. Yes you can take them to court and blah blah. I rather avoid the Blah blah than go through a painful process for it does not alter the behavior of the car.
I did have a chat with the Service Adviser who mentioned that they use "Castrol GTX Diesel 15W - 40" oil. I did ask about using Mobil 1 (which clearly has better characteristics) & he did mention that to keep the warranty the VW given oil only would need to be used

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2012 at 14:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 28th July 2012, 16:44   #551
BHPian

If I'm not wrong I am seeing castrol gtx 5w40 in my previous 3 service bills. My 2010 jet is going for service 60,000km this Monday. I will confirm again once I get the bill.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:24   #552
Team-BHP Support

With the upgraded Cruze and now the Elantra on it's way both with AT options, the Jetta will feel the pinch. The DSG option is only available on the Highline which is 19L ex-showroom compared to the upgraded Cruze which is 16L for the LTZ AT.

VW should atleast try to make it difficult for GM and Hyundai by offering the DSG option in Comfortline trim. If they price it at around 17L ex-showroom it's a very good option for those who are chauffeured driven and dont need the electric seats and touch screen audio.

So many people I know are looking at AT diesel but they don't go for the Jetta only cause the AT is only in HL trim which costs a lot more. They go for the Cruze or Laura Ambition DSG.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:19   #553
BHPian

Its a noob question, but wanted to know if the MT Jetta can be fitted with the DSG box say after 1 year of usage? And if yes, will it cost a bomb?
Old 30th July 2012, 17:57   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MT Jetta can be fitted with the DSG box say after 1 year of usage?
In history many have fitted Manual after the DSG dies. The swap is a costly affair and requires quite a large number of parts that you rather sell the Auto and get the Manual for the loss you make in selling and buying could be less than converting one from M to Auto.

Also i am not sure if our Indian Mechanics are wise enough to take up such a tough job.
Old 1st August 2012, 16:19   #555
BHPian

Hey guys I got the BT module delivered & fitted by the VW service center here @ Pune..

Thanks a ton to Sid (Ayedongiveadam) for the advice on the order & even though he could not make it to the service center, the help continued on the phone

The module works like a charm & is really a convenience - as I do have to take call quite frequently on the go.

I am working on the write up & pics & hope to put it on my thread today / tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks