Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 21:05   #3211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
My car has done 94000 kms and is in excellent shape. You will be surprised that with my driving style even my brake pads were changed only once at 60K. I was anyway ready for timing kit change, however this pump change will definitely eat my diwali bonus this year. happy Diwali to you by the way!! Is there a cheaper way to get this done ?
There seems to be some confusion here. The pump itself doesn't cost much to replace but there are two scenarios.

A] If the pump has failed but the leak is caught on time

This happened in my case. You can give it a read here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4491235

I caught the leak well before it drained the whole tank and I only had to replace the water pump assembly. The pump itself costs Rs. 2.1K but coupled with the labour and a few nuts and bolts here and there it comes close to around Rs. 6k.

B] If the leak is not caught on time

In this case the whole timing kit needs to be replaced. Do note that the water pump is a part of the timing kit itself. Thus, it leaks coolant onto the timing belt and ancillaries, prompting a change of those parts as well. 90% of the times, the leak isn't caught and this happens unfortunately. The corrosive coolant eats into the timing belt demanding a replacement.

Since your car is already at the 94K mark, I suggest you get the timing belt replaced, even if the leak isn't very severe.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 21:43   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
Hi Mission_PGPX, Any update on this?
Yes. It's the water pump. Got the timing kit changed as well. Total cost 19446 including labour and all parts of timing kit, bolts and water pump. Let's hope this one runs for another 90000kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20181106_185048.jpg  

Mission_PGPX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 15:47   #3213
BHPian

Forum,

With regard to the following post on the other thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4492660 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries), someone commented they go to Goa and back in one full tank.

Now either I am really bad driver, or my Jetta FE is totally screwed after I went for that software update at the VW ASS after Deiselgate. On my Goa drive the best FE (Average Consumption) I could get between Kolhapur and Belgaum was 19kmpl, which I guess is low for a 100kmph smooth highway drive for a state of the art Deisel car like the Jetta?

Also in terms of complete average consumption, I got 2 full tanks done, one in Pune and one in Goa, the car is running almost for 1300 kms now, and will probably not last past 1500kms.

That makes it 1500 for 110 litres (considering 55L per tank for the Jetta), which roughly translates to 13.6kmpl, super super low for the Jetta I would say.

What numbers are fellow Jetta owners seeing, my Jetta is less than 4 years old now, and I expected a lot better FE, so am a bit disappointed.

What are my options, should I take it back to the infamous VW ASS, or show it to some local FNG? Any recommendations in Pune would be appreciated!
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 16:04   #3214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Forum,

With regard to the following post on the other thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4492660 (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries), someone commented they go to Goa and back in one full tank.

Now either I am really bad driver, or my Jetta FE is totally screwed after I went for that software update at the VW ASS after Deiselgate. On my Goa drive the best FE (Average Consumption) I could get between Kolhapur and Belgaum was 19kmpl, which I guess is low for a 100kmph smooth highway drive for a state of the art Deisel car like the Jetta?

Also in terms of complete average consumption, I got 2 full tanks done, one in Pune and one in Goa, the car is running almost for 1300 kms now, and will probably not last past 1500kms.

That makes it 1500 for 110 litres (considering 55L per tank for the Jetta), which roughly translates to 13.6kmpl, super super low for the Jetta I would say.

What numbers are fellow Jetta owners seeing, my Jetta is less than 4 years old now, and I expected a lot better FE, so am a bit disappointed.

What are my options, should I take it back to the infamous VW ASS, or show it to some local FNG? Any recommendations in Pune would be appreciated!
Surprised that you found the FE low after the update. My FE has increased to 15 in the city to upto 22 on the highways.

I don't think 19 kmpl is that bad for a 1.5 tonne saloon. My car returned around 20.9 kmpl while cruising at 120 km hr. However, I have noticed that FE is slightly better when the engine is kept within the turbo zone (at around 1800 rpm). Cruising at 100 kmhr in the same scenario gave me figures of around 19.5 kmpl. (1650 rpm)

I would take this kind of F.E with a pinch of salt. Even 13.6 kmpl for a mix of city and highways is fair.

F.E marginally improves post servicing, so get your air filter cleaned and the car serviced (only if due).

Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing to worry about IMHO. I would say don't compare your F.E to others as traffic conditions, mix of city and highway driving, driving style etc. vary wildly at any given time.

Last edited by vishy76 : 19th November 2018 at 16:06.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 21:05   #3215
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Guys, while driving today on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, the clutch of my Jetta MT sank inside completely. I was trying to go from the 4th to the 5th gear when this happened. Thankfully, with some effort, it came back up and I was able to change gears. However, throughout the rest of my journey, I had to literally lift the clutch from below by using my feet to do any gear change. Thankfully, it did not go down all the way but there was some gap between the floor and the clutch which I could use to engage the clutch. The rest of the journey was quite a painful one with the clutch refusing to engage and then disengage until manual foot intervention from my side.

Has this happened to someone before? I had encountered a similar situation a couple of weeks back when the clutch refused to come back up, but I dismissed it as a one off incident. I suspect that it has got something to do with the slave cylinder or perhaps there is a puncture in the cylinder hose through which the fluid might be leaking? Any thoughts?
Old 20th November 2018, 06:54   #3216
Senior - BHPian

AYP,

You didn't mention how many kms it has run so far. Check fluid levels in the car. If the brake fluid is low, this can happen, because the same fluid lubricates the clutch too (at least in the Vista).

If the pedal feels dead when pressed and doesn't come back even when pulled (no action) I think it's time to replace the clutch.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 07:44   #3217
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
AYP,

You didn't mention how many kms it has run so far. Check fluid levels in the car. If the brake fluid is low, this can happen, because the same fluid lubricates the clutch too (at least in the Vista).

If the pedal feels dead when pressed and doesn't come back even when pulled (no action) I think it's time to replace the clutch.
The car has run 28k. It is a diesel MT. Also, I did not face any issues with the brake effectiveness, yet.

Last edited by AYP : 20th November 2018 at 07:52.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 08:42   #3218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The car has run 28k. It is a diesel MT. Also, I did not face any issues with the brake effectiveness, yet.
28k is too low for a weak clutch. The brakes will be fine, just get the fluid topped up. It's only about the hydraulic pressure, I guess, which is not enough to push the clutch pedal back up in place. The clutch and the brake pedals use the same reservoir.

I did this a couple of days ago and the pedal is fine on the Vista after experiencing the same last week.

Last edited by discoverwild : 20th November 2018 at 08:44.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 10:09   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

On my Goa drive the best FE (Average Consumption) I could get between Kolhapur and Belgaum was 19kmpl, which I guess is low for a 100kmph smooth highway drive for a state of the art Deisel car like the Jetta?

*SNIP*

What numbers are fellow Jetta owners seeing, my Jetta is less than 4 years old now, and I expected a lot better FE, so am a bit disappointed.*SNIP*
Well, I too see and hear of such great FE numbers from people; but frankly, I do not believe them.

Also, my Jetta lies through its teeth. The MID numbers do indicate great FE, sometimes 15, sometimes 17 etc.; but I have been tracking every fill up diligently from the day I bought the car; and I measure FE the old-fashioned way - tankful to tankful; and the best I have ever got is 17.

That 17 too was by almost hypermiling - driving like a mileage-conscious Indica taxi driver.

My average fuel consumption (90% highways and 10% city) is around 13kmpl. This is from a mixture of spirited driving and sedate driving.

So, as you can see, the MID figures being reported are a work of fiction and bear no resemblance to actual consumption.

My car is a 2015 Facelift Jetta TDI DSG; has been neutered due to Dieselgate; and has shown similar FE figures before and after neutering. I have done almost 80K kms in this car from May 2015 till today.

You're getting the mileage that I am getting.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 20th November 2018 at 10:11. Reason: Added total distance covered.
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 11:11   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Surprised that you found the FE low after the update. My FE has increased to 15 in the city to upto 22 on the highways.

I don't think 19 kmpl is that bad for a 1.5 tonne saloon. My car returned around 20.9 kmpl while cruising at 120 km hr. However, I have noticed that FE is slightly better when the engine is kept within the turbo zone (at around 1800 rpm). Cruising at 100 kmhr in the same scenario gave me figures of around 19.5 kmpl. (1650 rpm)
Thanks for the inputs, my FE definitely went down after the update, will get the above taken care of on the next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Also, my Jetta lies through its teeth. The MID numbers do indicate great FE, sometimes 15, sometimes 17 etc.; but I have been tracking every fill up diligently from the day I bought the car; and I measure FE the old-fashioned way - tankful to tankful; and the best I have ever got is 17.

That 17 too was by almost hypermiling - driving like a mileage-conscious Indica taxi driver.

My average fuel consumption (90% highways and 10% city) is around 13kmpl. This is from a mixture of spirited driving and sedate driving.
Phew, so good to hear this, and not in a bad way, just that it is comforting to have some confirmation from another member. My car was bought in May 2015 too, so I am guessing we have pretty much the same car , which makes this feedback all the more valuable.

My highway runs are few and far between, mostly city driving but many times late hours, I get something close to 10kmpl on an average, but looks like its expected.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 22nd November 2018 at 11:20. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 20th November 2018, 11:13   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
Forum,

There are similar threads elsewhere (Link1, Link2, Link3) and I do believe guys in US, Canada, and Europe getting 800+ kms in a tankful. I myself did just over 700 kms in my 2014 Jetta DSG just a month ago doing multiple Mumbai-Pune trips. But almost 1100 kms on Indian roads in one tankful is just unfathomable.

The best I have got is about 18 kmpl for a journey from Pune to Mumbai (150 kms) at 100-110 kmph. So your FE is similar to others in the group and you need not worry about it too much.
Immix is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 14:44   #3222
Senior - BHPian

Noticed something strange on my pre-owned 2015 DSG when I took it out for its maiden highway drive. I was driving on NH4 for about 160kms before I take a deviation onto SH. While on NH4 I maintained speeds upto 110km/h with occasional bursts for overtaking fast-moving cars. I left the car mostly in D for the entire stretch.

When on the SH, I continued driving in D mode, however for quick overtakes i'd shift to S mode very briefly. The car would drop a gear or two and after the overtake i'd put it back to D. Not entirely sure if this was safe but the kick-down in D mode was simply too violent.

I'd have done this about 2-3 times at most D-->S-->D when traffic eased up and I was coasting in D mode around 80-90 kmph with occasional accelerator inputs to maintain speed,when I started hearing a grinding noise. It was like brakes were being applied without me touching the brake pedal and this continued for the next 10-15 kms after which I stopped at my relative's house for about 2-3 hours.

I never heard that noise when on the return journey as the road conditions didn't allow me to hold a steady speed. Even when I hit the NH there was no such noise since I was driving much faster than 80 kmph. The instrument cluster didn't show any warning signs either.

I wonder what it was and if there's anything I was doing wrong.
Old 21st November 2018, 16:18   #3223
BHPian

Guys, I am considering a pre-owned 2009 Jetta 1.6 MT, Trendline -

Link here

First look at the pics says it is well maintained and price also seems to be ok. Before I look at the car this weekend, wish to know below things -

- How's the performance of 1.6 engine? As I understand its NA engine with 102 HP
- Is this particular model reliable?
- Further more importantly, what is the actual ground clearance of this model. While i search i get varied results, like 152, 139 etc

Finally, is the asking price of Rs. 3.98 lakhs for 2nd owner 53k done, 2009 car fine?

Thanks in advance for reverts.

KK
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:25   #3224
BHPian

No don't, this is an uninspiring engine that sold low volumes so support would be an issue, also sounds expensive for a 2nd hand, try to get hold of a Laura TSI or if you are keen on a petrol - get a facelifted Civic, the older one would bottom out in all speed breakers of BLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Guys, I am considering a pre-owned 2009 Jetta 1.6 MT, Trendline -

Link here

First look at the pics says it is well maintained and price also seems to be ok. Before I look at the car this weekend, wish to know below things -

- How's the performance of 1.6 engine? As I understand its NA engine with 102 HP
- Is this particular model reliable?
- Further more importantly, what is the actual ground clearance of this model. While i search i get varied results, like 152, 139 etc

Finally, is the asking price of Rs. 3.98 lakhs for 2nd owner 53k done, 2009 car fine?

Thanks in advance for reverts.

KK
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 10:42   #3225
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I recently started noticing light grinding noise in 3rd gear @2000 -2200 rpm and in 4th gear at around 1100 -1300 rpm. The noise also happens in 5th and 6th gear in particular rpm range. Outside the RPM range there is no noise.I took the car to the service center in Bangalore where I usually get it serviced.

The technician initially suspected some loose component in the engine bay or fender. He tightened everything up. No luck. Technician called twice to update me that they looked around everything but couldn't find the problem. Finally on the fifth day they identified the problem to be the left drive shaft.He said I can drive around till it gets worse.

My car has done 44k Kms and not sure why drive shaft would fail this early.
Anyway got the estimate and its around 75000 Rupees. Item 2 and 3 in the below screenshot are the ones two be replaced.

1KO 407 271 MC - Around 68000 Rs.
WHT005437 - Around 300 Rs
Labour + tax all adds up to 75000 Rs.

Questions:

1 . Can I source the part "1KO 407 271 MC" from outside. If yes which would be the best website to get parts? I see the part available outside India but none of the Indian parts website have it.

2. Is there any good FNG shop in Bangalore who work on VW cars. Do they source parts themselves?

Since the estimate is on the higher side I am evaluating options. Please provide your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20181124_161558.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks