Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 16:58   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Hi sgiitk,

I guess Thilak is reaching out to some of us with the same queries

Play with the air pressure till you hit the sweet spot and thereafter it is BAU!

Thanks to your review and other information on TBHP, I have recently taken a Brio AT for my wife and I am enjoying the same to the hilt!
Old 28th May 2014, 09:26   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
From what I have read, actually, the Brio is restricted to 140 kmph by Honda. That is the reason why ACI mentioned the top speed as 140. Thanks to an overall lighter structure, its possible that Brio might be in a position to hit 160 with ease, but somehow, Honda restricted it.
I am considering a Brio AT right now and the top speed limitation is really bugging me. I know its meant to be a city car and all that, but here goes:

1) Will an ECU upgrade get rid of this speed limitation?

2) Even if I manage to get rid of the electronic speed limit, will the car's suspension and brakes safely handle speeds greater than 140 kmph?

3) This one goes without saying; I'm assuming Honda will void the warranty in case of an ECU upgrade.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 28th May 2014 at 09:33.
Old 28th May 2014, 09:34   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
I am considering a Brio AT right now and the top speed limitation is really bugging me. I know its meant to be a city car and all that, but here goes:

1) Will an ECU upgrade get rid of this speed limitation?

2) Even if I manage to get rid of the electronic speed limit, will the car's suspension and brakes safely handle speeds greater than 140 kmph?
1. ECU tweaking can be done. I have not dont it personally, but AFAIK it can be done.

2. Do you really want to drive at speeds above 140 KMPH in India, irrespective of whether the car can handle or not?
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 09:38   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
2. Do you really want to drive at speeds above 140 KMPH in India, irrespective of whether the car can handle or not?
Sane response, I have to admit.

But, a part of me does want to have that option open .
Old 28th May 2014, 09:59   #1340
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
1. ECU tweaking can be done. I have not dont it personally, but AFAIK it can be done.

1. ECU tweaking on a normally aspirated car has a very limited scope. I have been looking for just setting the ECU map in my Civic from that used for the Indian version to the European / US cars, adds 10 ponies. Have had no luck in funding it so far. Also, Honda's are very higloy tuned to start with and may be even more difficulkt to tweak.

2. Agree 100%. I will be loathe to even try for 120-130kph in a Brio.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:16   #1341
BANNED

I'm looking to increase the low end power of the car. will installing a cai k&n filter increase the bottom end and improve drivability ?
Old 29th May 2014, 00:45   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. ECU tweaking on a normally aspirated car has a very limited scope.

2. Agree 100%. I will be loathe to even try for 120-130kph in a Brio.
1. I wasn't looking for any engine performance upgrade, but just wanted to know if the electronically-imposed speed limit can be done away with.

2. Different strokes for different folks. On a slightly related note, driving fast and driving rashly are not necessarily the same thing on a decent highway IMHO.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 29th May 2014 at 00:59.
Old 29th May 2014, 08:12   #1343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Different strokes for different folks. On a slightly related note, driving fast and driving rashly are not necessarily the same thing on a decent highway IMHO.
Sorry, but have to disagree strongly here. 140 kph is dangerous on almost any public road anywhere in the world. It's certainly very dangerous on any road in India even in a car designed to be driven fast on Autobahns such as a 5 series. And it's practically suicidal in small, light car like the Brio, which could lose stability if you hit an undulation at speeds above the design limit. Remember that the distance needed to stop at maximum rate braking increases with the square of the speed - viz the distance needed to stop at 140 is twice that at 100. And you are saying you want to go faster than 140!
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 10:13   #1344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Similarly driving at 100 or 120 kph + in a small hatch not designed for such speeds and in big sedan are not the same thing.

I will not comment on high speed driving as it is against forum rules. But it will be a huge bummer for car buffs if all mfrs were asked to electronically limit the top speed to 140 kph for India. But seriously if I owned a Brio I would not be bothered about it, though If I owned a bimmer I'm not so sure.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 15:09   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Remember that the distance needed to stop at maximum rate braking increases with the square of the speed - viz the distance needed to stop at 140 is twice that at 100. And you are saying you want to go faster than 140!
Wow! I didn't know that the stopping distance would double so quickly. Definitely food for thought.
Old 30th May 2014, 00:34   #1346
BHPian

Has anyone here added extra insulation for the wheel noise that seeps into the cabin from the rear wheels? Aftermarket insulator coating or something like that?I have factory fitted goodyear tyres on my VX MT.

About the discussion about speed limited to 140 kmph and someone wanting to override it. You are wrong and Please don't.

The limiter is set at 150 kmph in my VX MT(thats what the manual and the sales manager said). I took it to 140-143 km h for approximately half a minute on the eastern freeway in Bombay (VT to chembur). That was the first and the last time the brio has and will touch those speeds. The road was empty(5am), smooth and hence there was enough road for me to get to that speed and have enough space to brake if needed. I admit it feels planted at those speeds too,but to get anywhere above 130 km h you need a fairly long road to gain the extra 10kmph since it lacks the torque required for it at the top end or maybe since i had 3 other occupants, the added weight resulted in the slow top end pickup.

My suggestion, though many indonesian sites say that it is easy to get rid of the speed limiter,don't get rid of it. Honda put it there for a reason. Probably cause the brakes aren't designed to handle such speeds or the dynamics of the car won't allow it. Whatever it may be, respect that limitation brother. Unless of course if you have access to a race track or an unused runway
bread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 16:46   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy a hatch, preferably Brio SMT as I find it quite VFM (in spite of the punchy engine and good handling).

Other options considered include Polo GT TDI (great car, but out of budget), and Grand i10 (heard complaints about the engine losing grunt on highways and lacks the enthusiasm factor).

Few weeks back I noticed people complaining about the Brio's gearshift being notchy. I didn't face much problem in the TD vehicle, though I won't call it butter smooth shifting.
Just wanted to hear from the owners of Brio, how big is this problem with the gearbox? Did you notice it right from the time of handover of new vehicle? Are all owners facing this issue, or only a few unlucky ones?

Help please!

@Mods, kindly move it to appropriate thread, if this ain't the right one.

P.S.: This is my first post in T-BHP.
Honda did not skimp on any running parts. The gearbox maybe not butter smooth, is yes, a bit notchy. But i am sure no one would find it to be obtrusive enough to put off a purchase.
The below is just a piece of first hand information, please do not try it yourself to test the authenticity.
Cut back to last year, the Mumbai rain was at its peak and heard some places are already underwater. Couldn't see much in my locality and set off.
Drove straight into a lane with 2 -2.5 feet of water with no chances of even slotting the reverse and getting out. Stood on the accelerator and with the car still barely moving forward and almost floating around managed to get out of the lane somehow.
Prevented stalling and ruining the car, however water seeped into the cabin and the entire floor carpet was soaking wet.
I had to travel away from the country and did not bother to get the carpets dried. Came back in October (around 2 months later) to find the carpet still wet with vapor forming under the plastic mats fearing rust might have cut the floor.
But no, the car held up well, did a Goa trip, there were absolutely no problems at all with the engine or any electrical parts.
Still couldn't clean it up last October, since i had a very short leave. Will be back around next week, lets see how well this little car is built. Fingers crossed.
Old 17th June 2014, 13:25   #1348
BHPian

Did 3000+ kms in the last 12 days, the car is as good as new. The only expenses apart from fuel were a check up before the trip and an oil change after the trip.
Managed to bump and jump a lot of unmarked speed breakers and the under body shows no signs of damage. No rattles either.
Performance even on the best of highways was adequate for me, it might be sluggish only if you drive 3+ with luggage.
Drove Mumbai to Mangalore (850-900 kms) in 13 hours with only a single 1 hour break and did around the same time on the way back.
Old 19th June 2014, 23:09   #1349
BHPian

Hi guys. A brake problem has surfaced on my 7month old, 3900 km on ODO Brio SMT.

It first started about a month ago. Every time I take the car out in the morning, the first 2-3 times I step on the brake I could hear a distinct squeaking sound from the brakes. It would definitely go away after that. I thought it was just a bit of rust on the rotors and it would go after a few stops. But now it seems the problem is getting worse.

I did some low speed braking tests today and one time when I fully applied the brake it made some sort of mild grinding noise and there was a sensation of the brakes locking up or some sort of Juddering. I can't exactly make out what it is.

It's been a month after its second service (6th month service) and the squeaking trouble first started around that time. Can't remember if it is after or before.

Can anybody tell me what might be wrong with my car?

The only mod that I have done is that I changed the stock MRF tyres to bigger 196/55/R16 Bridgestones. Surely that can't be it, right?

Also I should point out that the rotors on disc's have unsually high rust on them.

What should I expect from the service guys?

Any suggestions and advice from you guys will be really helpful.
Old 19th June 2014, 23:17   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Hi guys. A brake problem has surfaced on my 7month old, 3900 km on ODO Brio SMT.
I used to face the same problem in my old car (Indica Xeta) that was sparsely driven (annual running of approximately 4k kms)
The rust that you speak of in on the discs is common in cars that aren't being driven regularly.
What the Tata guys told me was that excess rust and humidity affects the pads on the calipers and hence the squealing noise.

Haven't faced this problem in my 8 month old Brio vx mt.It has 6400km on odo.
bread is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks