Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 13:57   #1276
BHPian

Honda Brio - Gearbox issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
I had given my car for second service.
The gears slot in more positively and engine responds better than earlier. Will keep it updated here if I see an improvement in f.e. after the service.
Was some procedure done on the gearbox during the service? Our Brio's done about 10K and 2 services, but the 1st and 2nd gears are still hard to slot - especially when downshifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Do you see a lot improvement in gear slotting especially when you up shift from 1st to 2nd or downshift from 3rd, after the second service. I am finding that quite annoying in B2B traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
when I shift down from 3rd to 2nd its more notchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
I found it quite notchy prior to 1K on the speedo. Infact, sometimes I really had to make an effort to get it in to 2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is normal for a gearbox to take about 5000km (even more) to smooth out. So I will say it is a sign of a good box. Wait till it beds in. The Japanese have long had a reputation of making great boxes.
Apologies in advance for quoting so many of you - but really need to know if any of you have had this problem solved successfully? Has any procedure done by the A.S.S worked?

Even after 10K KMs, the issue persists in our Brio - the 2nd gear is especially difficult to slot at times (have gotten stuck for as long as a minute in B2B traffic at times due to the 1st and 2nd gears both refusing to slot).

ANY help/suggestions are welcome
Old 26th February 2014, 15:28   #1277
BANNED

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

@Travis; Then you have a real problem. Contact Honda at customer_relations@hondacarindia.com
Old 26th February 2014, 15:39   #1278
BHPian

I have this strange issue with my Brio A/C as it gives a foul smell when the blower is turned on for the first time. It lasts hardly for 10seconds. Then it goes off and its all fine. Next time also when I take the car after a gap say(3-4 hours) the same smell for the first 10-15 seconds, then it vanishes. Have complained it during the service, they did some vent cleaning with some foam, but of no use as the problem still exists. I am worried!

Friends please let me know if anyone else has come across this same A/C issue and please advice me what should be done to fix this.
Old 26th February 2014, 16:23   #1279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
I have this strange issue with my Brio A/C as it gives a foul smell when the blower is turned on for the first time. It lasts hardly for 10seconds. Then it goes off and its all fine. Next time also when I take the car after a gap say(3-4 hours) the same smell for the first 10-15 seconds, then it vanishes....
You can try putting the heater on full blast for around 5 mins and see whether the problem recurs. In the A/C thread, this was suggested as an option to get rid of the foul smell.

Experts point out that bacterial formation happens due to the A/C usage and full heater blow will help one get rid of the smell.
Old 26th February 2014, 16:45   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio - Gearbox issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Even after 10K KMs, the issue persists in our Brio - the 2nd gear is especially difficult to slot at times (have gotten stuck for as long as a minute in B2B traffic at times due to the 1st and 2nd gears both refusing to slot).

ANY help/suggestions are welcome
Though my car is a completely different make & manufacturer, I want to share my experience here if you all Brio owners permit me. Even I had faced this first, second & third gear shifting has becoming very hard in my ancient 2004 manufactured Indica.

Initially the problem was temporarily fixed with the clutch cable adjustment, but after 2 weeks the ghost raised its ugly head again . Twice I faced the problem when I had to slot my car in the office parking lot. I could not simply slot in the first gear, putting in the reverse gear had also become a nightmare. Somehow I managed with adjusting the clutch cable & drove the car for 2 days (150kms). In the worst case, I had to switch off the engine, then the first gear would slot in easily. I would perform the same exercise for putting in reverse.

Before any major catastrophe could happen I took the car to my mechanic. He said the clutch cable was absolutely fine & the problem could be in the clutch fork, for which the clutch/gearbox would have to be dismantled. I told them to start asap. I got a call @ 12:00 noon & garage owner told me that the clutch fork is cracked & bent. It will have to be replaced. I asked him if he had a spare in stock else get one asap from the nearby Tata Service centre. He said, he had one in stock, I gave him the green signal immediately. New fork was fitted, all the assemblies put back in place, the drained gear oil & coolant was refilled & car handed back to me by 03:00pm. Since the steering & suspension ball joints were removed I had to get the wheel alignment done after this work.

Have driven the car for more than 8K kms after the replacement & the problem has completely vanished for good.

Note to mods: Please move my message to appropriate thread if it is not relevant here.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 16:59   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Was some procedure done on the gearbox during the service? Our Brio's done about 10K and 2 services, but the 1st and 2nd gears are still hard to slot - especially when downshifting.
This is very common in Brio/Amaze. Even I was facing the same problem till I cross 5K Kms. The dealership guys lubricated the gear shifter twice but the problem persisted. Now it is smooth.

Someone (in forum) was suggesting that we need to ensure the speeds are as per requirements during gear shifting. Just give a try.
Old 26th February 2014, 17:19   #1282
BHPian

Brio being hydraulic clutch, no clutch cables adjustment AFAIK. During service, these folks bleed the oil and it would remain acceptable for sometime. After a month, it would get back to its regular ways.

I continue to be disappointed with the gear shift quality in spite of speed modulation and shifting at right rpms. 1 and 2 continue to be notchy, though not as bad as refusing to move. It requires a little more effort like that on the basic Maruti's. I drove a new Amaze diesel and that was good, as expected in a Honda. That made me think whether its an issue with earlier batches of Brio, though the box in petrol and diesel is different.
Old 26th February 2014, 17:25   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
This is very common in Brio/Amaze. Even I was facing the same problem till I cross 5K Kms. The dealership guys lubricated the gear shifter twice but the problem persisted. Now it is smooth.

Someone (in forum) was suggesting that we need to ensure the speeds are as per requirements during gear shifting. Just give a try.
"The dealership guys lubricated the gear shifter twice but the problem persisted. Now it is smooth." -> What made this transition possible? Did you have something done or did it just smooth out on its own?

I read that too - I usually shift up to the next gear when the previous one reaches about 2000-2300 RPM and shift down only when the higher gear seems to put too high a load on the engine, so I don't think inappropriate speed-gear matching is the issue.

This problem has been "fixed" thrice by Ring Road Honda (twice) and Pearl Honda (once) - it runs fine for a few days and then the problem returns. The issue is that they haven't been able to diagnose the root cause of the problem, which is why I'm looking here to see if anyone else had better luck finding the root cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Have driven the car for more than 8K kms after the replacement & the problem has completely vanished for good.
Thanks for the info man - I'll keep that in mind at the next service and ask the SA to examine the clutch fork.
Old 26th February 2014, 17:33   #1284
BHPian

Thanks swiftnfurious. The heating method was done by the Service engineer when I complained.

For how long you suggest the heater to be blown at max? Anyway I shall try this today also.

Regards,
SUNNY
Old 26th February 2014, 19:22   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
"The dealership guys lubricated the gear shifter twice but the problem persisted. Now it is smooth." -> What made this transition possible? Did you have something done or did it just smooth out on its own.
It did not do anything. Just waited and it become smooth on its own.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:42   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Today, I booked a Brio VX AT- Red color for my wife. I had a test drive yesterday and I was impressed with the performance and comfort of this cute, little Honda!

What swung the favor from Hyundai Grand i10 AT were the availability of ABS+EBD+Airbags in BRIO!
Old 1st April 2014, 11:31   #1287
BHPian

Friends, Do we have any insider information for facelift Brio or Brio with CVT? I am planning to buy one, but can defer the purchase if have any concrete information.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:27   #1288
BHPian

In my opinion this year Honda will focus on new launches like new Jazz and new MPV. By the way the changes in the Honda Brio is also very minimal. So if they launch faclifted Brio also we can not expect much changes.
Old 1st April 2014, 13:41   #1289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
Thanks swiftnfurious. The heating method was done by the Service engineer when I complained.

For how long you suggest the heater to be blown at max? Anyway I shall try this today also....
2-3 mins should be fine. Did you try and found this to be effective?
Old 1st April 2014, 13:49   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi,

Today, I booked a Brio VX AT- Red color for my wife. I had a test drive yesterday and I was impressed with the performance and comfort of this cute, little Honda!

What swung the favor from Hyundai Grand i10 AT were the availability of ABS+EBD+Airbags in BRIO!
Congratulations. What deals did you get? We are also considering one for mom and upon inquiring yesterday i was told that if i confirm with them before end of the day (i.e. 31st March) he would be able to squeeze in Free Insurance, and some accessories worth around 5k such as coating, parking sensors etc.

But we are still in discussion mode and hence was unable to commit to him.

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks