Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 22:55   #1561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot77in
For those who have tried using the ICE remote from the middle rows, how has been the experience, does it work well? I have found it erratic. The ICE doesn't respond to the remote when used from the middle or third row seats. The Nippon guy came to have a look and used his own remote and the best that could be managed is the ICE responding when the remote is placed on the arm rest. Even if held at a certain angle, it wouldn't work. It has to practically rest on the central console for it to latch onto the remote sensor.If one tries to point from anywhere else, except the front row seats, the system doesn't respond to the remote commands or is inconsistent in its response. The batteries where changed to new and tested but same result from both the remotes. It would appear the Nippon guy has not seen it work any farther than the arm rest in any of the XUVs he has used the remote in.Sounds crap. Please share if anyone has seen the remote more effective.Can be of little use to seats middle and rear if it behaves this way -and there is where one needs a remote!
Same here the remote works only on the front seat.ridiculous
Old 9th January 2012, 23:51   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nitin,
This really is a surprise for all of us! We would appreciate if you shared your experience and the reason why you are taking this decision, so that other members can also give due consideration to those aspects of the XUV. One of the disappointing areas in our XUV, which I find is low end torque, especially on gradients. It has some difficulty in Climbing. Hopefully Mahindra can fix this with an engine firmware remap in future.

Regards,
Behemoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Nitin,
I understand that its finally your vehicle and you may decide whatever you think right.

But, I am still wondering, if it is a hasty decision. Sounds like a divorce during the honeymoon period itself. A little bit of more time with the vehicle and most likely any pending issues could have been resolved to your satisfaction.

Care to share, what triggered the final decision?
Guys i understand your concern about "why" i wanna take this extreme step. I am not sure if i can explain it here as this is OT and i dont want to be banned or stuff like that.
However, i will take this risk just for you guys as i have been getting mails asking the same.
Well to start with, i am sure most of you guys would be thinking that there's something really wrong with the vehicle hence the decision. To that i must tell you this "NO" there is no problem as such with the car. The fuel leakage and window issue that happened was rectified last month. Everything is working fine. Infact due to damping on the doors for ICE has resulted in lesser noise from outside while driving. So all in all, the car is absolutely fine.

But the main issue is, the size and drive-ability of an SUV. As mentioned in my AD, after driving Ford for 5 + years, i am really struggling to come to terms with a SUV driving. I mean its not that bad as Scorpio or Endy for that matter (Scorp and Endy owners: please dont kill me, this is just my opinion ) XUV is much planted than these SUV's as i have driven all of them. And with a better and wider rubber, this can be improved more. However, Ford has really spoiled me like a bad kid. After driving XUV, whenever i get time to drive Fiesta, my love for her just grows. Infact, from past 2 weeks, XUV has not even moved a inch. I have been driving Fiesta all this while and enjoying it. I am a person who likes to drive a car and not the other way round. I mean i should have complete control of the car. It should give me the feedback that i want from it. It should cut corners like a hot knife on a butter. All this, cant be expected from an SUV.

Well this is one of the reason. The other major reason is Practicality. As i live with my Mom and wife with no kids, i really don't see a usage for an SUV. I already have 2 more cars (Fiesta and Fabia) so a 3rd car is really not needed. Also as said in my AD, i do night shifts and when i come home at night, all cars in my society (SAKET) as parked. Those who knows bout saket, its becoming Chandni chowk day by day as almost every house is being re-constructed by builders (like mine) resulting in more cars per house = more cars parked on road. So this makes life little difficult when i come home at night, specially at corners where some or the other dump--- would have parked making it impossible to take a turn.

And lastly, the Temptation. I have been approved (by my wife) that i can sell XUV off and can buy a midsize sedan or a hatchback and can buy HARLEY DAVIDSON IRON 883 yeah. Also i can keep Fiesta to fulfill my ICE needs as that's the best car you can have for ICE, and thats again is a big reason that XUV doesn't fair well here.

So thats bout it. Its not that XUV has a major drawback or the piece i got is a lemon, its just that i have not been able to connect with her till now. BUT, as said SDP "Sounds like a divorce during the honeymoon period itself" i am getting really confused with this decision. I have been getting many mails asking WHY i am doing this to such a lovely car. All this is making me weak on my knees. On one side, Harley is standing with her beautiful exhaust note and dark looks and on the other, its the XUV with macho looks and power. DAMM.

Hope i was able to explain myself. Please let me know if you have any suggestion or comments on this.
PS: Mods i know this is OT, but this is for the benefit of other Bhpians. Since i didn't had a ownership thread, hence posting it here. Rest its your wish.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 09:45   #1563
BHPian

Went to the dealership to check on my W8 delivery status and was offered a test drive (my 5th one in the last 3.5 months). The TD vehicle was the one I tried on my 1st TD in October and at that time I felt the clutch to be very springy and the gears to be notchy (co-passengers could hear the gear shift sounds). The release of clutch in 1st gear was very jerky. The same vehicle, now 3500km on Odo, has been offered this time around.

> The gears shifted smoothly (including 1st and 2nd)
> Clutch felt as good as my Esteem clutch!
> No squealing sound while braking (it used to be before)
> I was encouraged to try out ESP, by taking sharp turns at the ring road ramp. I tried it and had good control. However, I'm not an expert to decide if ESP came in handy or not, but I felt good control.
> Got stuck in a traffic jam and the stop & go driving wasn't too bad. It felt like driving a petrol car.
> The SA couldn't specify what caused the vehicle to be so good. He only indicated that it's the routine service. But I believe some of the initial feedback and fixes did the job.

Overall it was a good TD. I hope that M&M maintains consistency and when I receive mine, it feels as good.

Last edited by smopuri : 10th January 2012 at 09:47. Reason: typo fixed
Old 10th January 2012, 12:15   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Hi Guys,

I took my XUV to the workshop over the weekend. I'd been hearing this 'khat khat' sound from the rear and infact, on way to workshop also discovered some 'squishing' sound from the front LHS suspension too.
JeepSomeday this is really reassuring, and might I add I have been enjoying a similar RM experience at Bhasin Motors, Delhi. The only downside is that the RM left the job yesterday, and I have been issued to a replacement till then, who I am yet to try if he is as good.

Regarding the 'khat khat' sound, I believe you had mentioned last time it was from the RHS wheel/ suspension. I have been getting this from the beginning, this only comes under hard RH cornering, almost like a khat when the pressure is put on the RHS wheel and a reverse khat, when the pressure is reversed. I have sent the car twice for this to the workshop, and so far according to them they have sorted it by tightening the wheel bolts, but I dont think it is the cause of this annoying sound.

Plus I have been getting a lot of creaking and squeaking noise from the 2nd row folding seat and the center arm rest console whenever the car pitches or in rough patches. Again something that the workshop is yet to sort out.

An update otherwise, the car is great I am getting a constant 13kmpl from each full tank in my normal city driving and so far done close to 4600km (need to send the car for a service soon), hopefully after the 1st service the average might increase (I am being greedy ) . Well on not so good news, some muppet picasso decided to use my black car bonnet and the RHS fender as his canvas and a rock as his brush... now it has white deep squiggly lines all over... I am just completely heart broken, to add to that yesterday at a red light an auto rear ended my beast, and now it has some marks on the rear bumper and a cracked tail lamp..

One thing that has been annoying about the suspension though, that there is a considerable vertical pitch on bumpy roads at high speeds, and you suddenly loose all grip and your steering almost becomes free, has happened with me recently and was quite scary on a vehicle this size. May be its just me, but I have been noticing this much vertical jump and pitch only recently, and feel the suspension has gone too soft. Anyone else getting this problem?

Also does anyone else have a theory on the khat khat sound from the front RHS wheel / suspension?
Old 10th January 2012, 12:25   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nitin,
This really is a surprise for all of us! We would appreciate if you shared your experience and the reason why you are taking this decision, so that other members can also give due consideration to those aspects of the XUV. One of the disappointing areas in our XUV, which I find is low end torque, especially on gradients. It has some difficulty in Climbing. Hopefully Mahindra can fix this with an engine firmware remap in future.

Regards,
Behemoth
Completely agree here.
I am looking forward to book it on first day. Please suggest if I should do it or not. :(
Old 10th January 2012, 13:04   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Regarding the 'khat khat' sound, I believe you had mentioned last time it was from the RHS wheel/ suspension. I have been getting this from the beginning, this only comes under hard RH cornering, almost like a khat when the pressure is put on the RHS wheel and a reverse khat, when the pressure is reversed. I have sent the car twice for this to the workshop, and so far according to them they have sorted it by tightening the wheel bolts, but I dont think it is the cause of this annoying sound.

You know, that khat khat sound has come back in my XUV too, so it wasnt the boot latch that they fixed. And its exactly how you describe it, but in my case it isnt only when steering right. I'll be going again this weekend. Let me know if you get yours sorted, so I can tell them where to look.

The other sound I get is from the front LHS suspension, when it goes over a big speedbreaker - its like a squishing sound that (hopefully not) comes from an old/leaking shock absorber. That too has come back.

Plus I have been getting a lot of creaking and squeaking noise from the 2nd row folding seat and the center arm rest console whenever the car pitches or in rough patches. Again something that the workshop is yet to sort out.

Me too. Its probably from the seat belt I think.

An update otherwise, the car is great I am getting a constant 13kmpl from each full tank in my normal city driving and so far done close to 4600km (need to send the car for a service soon), hopefully after the 1st service the average might increase (I am being greedy ) .
Yours is FWD right? And this mileage is a tank-to-tank manual calculation or from the "Info" software? My info software is showing 13.2 for now, but in real terms I expect it to be lower since mine is an AWD. Interestingly, the software calculates the mileage by looking at the last 200ml of diesel and how much the vehicle travelled with that...and updates the reading you see on the screen that way on a continuous basis.

Well on not so good news, some muppet picasso decided to use my black car bonnet and the RHS fender as his canvas and a rock as his brush... now it has white deep squiggly lines all over... I am just completely heart broken, to add to that yesterday at a red light an auto rear ended my beast, and now it has some marks on the rear bumper and a cracked tail lamp..

Oh my god . What insurance do you have? I took this TATA AIG insurance with not just zero dep (so plastics are covered) but also NCB protection (I have 65% NCB), so if I claim, it doesnt affect my NCB.

One thing that has been annoying about the suspension though, that there is a considerable vertical pitch on bumpy roads at high speeds, and you suddenly loose all grip and your steering almost becomes free, has happened with me recently and was quite scary on a vehicle this size. May be its just me, but I have been noticing this much vertical jump and pitch only recently, and feel the suspension has gone too soft. Anyone else getting this problem?

I havent felt this yet. Infact, if at all, I felt my suspension was a tad too hard for my liking.

Also does anyone else have a theory on the khat khat sound from the front RHS wheel / suspension? Yes please, if anyone has a theory, please share.
One more information for general benefit. I have learnt that when the bookings open again, M&M will launch additional cities. The names I have so far are Chandigarh, Mohali, Patiala, Kolkata and Hyderabad...
JeepSomeday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 13:46   #1567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys i understand your concern about..

..hence posting it here. Rest its your wish.[/b]
Dude!

I can read the emotion in your post. I understand that the XUV was just an impulse buy. It can happen. When we look at something we really really like, something inside of us tells us that nothing else matters and that we should go ahead and buy it. We don't think about parking space, we don't think about hike in maintenance costs, the environment, and other little things that are somehow indirectly connected to owning a SUV.

But don't feel bad about it. Don't assume, for one second, that you'd made the wrong choice. Because you followed your heart. And when a car makes you follow it with your heart, that car has succeeded, niggles et al.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 14:06   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys i understand your concern about "why" i wanna take this extreme step. I am not sure..........

..... Rest its your wish.
Buddy, just out of curiosity, did the launch of the Renault Duster or the Ford Eco Sport play any role at all on your decision ? I know you have the 'SUV thing' in you !!
Old 10th January 2012, 14:53   #1569
BHPian

You know, that khat khat sound has come back in my XUV too, so it wasnt the boot latch that they fixed.
=========
its like a squishing sound that (hopefully not) comes from an old/leaking shock absorber. That too has come back.

Yes for me also it is only on hard right cornering, I have asked the new RM to come along with a Mahindra SE and check, lets see if he can sort it out. Although, I was hoping that you would have a solution for me before I have to go through the whole process again...

I haven't noticed the other sound from LHS suspension, will have to listen for it and check..

Me too. Its probably from the seat belt I think.

I have checked the seat belt, as for the front one, I slot it in regardless to kill the noise the buckle makes with the B-pillar, and the rear seatbelt buckle can be slotted in a clip on the C-Pillar, which holds it in nicely. So I know that this is not the seat belt and either the seat or the C-pillar, but still clueless

Yours is FWD right? And this mileage is a tank-to-tank manual calculation or from the "Info" software?
========
.and updates the reading you see on the screen that way on a continuous basis.

yes it is FWD and yes its from a tank-to-tank manual calculation, the info software shows 17.2

Oh my god . What insurance do you have? I took this TATA AIG insurance with not just zero dep (so plastics are covered) but also NCB protection (I have 65% NCB), so if I claim, it doesnt affect my NCB.

I have a Zero dep, policy but no NCB, so dont think will be going for a claim, I think just a touch-up job for now, to hide the scratches. As for the tail lamp, I do not think they have one in stock just yet.
Old 10th January 2012, 15:21   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charan View Post
Buddy, just out of curiosity, did the launch of the Renault Duster or the Ford Eco Sport play any role at all on your decision ? I know you have the 'SUV thing' in you !!
I think both cars mentioned here are not proper SUVs. IMHO - they are just a bit oversized hatchbacks.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:11   #1571
BHPian

Just did my first tank-to-tank mileage check. Came out as 11.7. The info software was showing 13.5.

Isnt this quite low? I do drive Delhi-Gurgaon in the worst possible peak traffic hours and mine is an AWD, but still?

Any views?
Old 11th January 2012, 14:36   #1572
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Took the delivery of my XUV yesterday (January'12 Manufactured). The delivery process was done in a smooth and professional manner and have driven 125 kms since.

Here are the initial observations:-

1) The feel and finish of interiors is much better than what I saw in the test drive vehicle. Compared it with the test drive vehicle parked at the showroom as well and both me and my wife feel that its much better.

2) The gear shift is smooth and crisp. I drive a ANHC and Swift VDi currently and had no issues with the clutch and gearshift whatsoever. The issues reported with the 1st and 2nd gears in the earlier batch of vehicles seem to be sorted out. Also, while changing gears didn't have issue with the steering rod (maybe to do with my driving style)

3) The ICE quality is just average, going for a ICE upgrade this Sunday.

4) Have fallen in love with the features , specially the automatic headlamps and the cornering lights.

5) No issues faced till now, well ya its only 1 day old till now.

Loading some initial pics. Shall post a detailed review a few days after getting my ICE upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img2012010900224.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img2012010900226.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img2012010900227.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img2012010900228.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img2012011000230.jpg  

Joyb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 16:14   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Hey Guys,

2) The gear shift is smooth and crisp. I drive a ANHC and Swift VDi currently and had no issues with the clutch and gearshift whatsoever. The issues reported with the 1st and 2nd gears in the earlier batch of vehicles seem to be sorted out. Also, while changing gears didn't have issue with the steering rod (maybe to do with my driving style)

Loading some initial pics. Shall post a detailed review a few days after getting my ICE upgrade.

Yea, got the call from Sterling Motors SA & he confirmed that while they were in training in chakan plant - many people raised the issue of Steering Rod. Now, M&M has sorted it out for all 2012 vehicles. So, things are going north for sure.
Old 11th January 2012, 17:29   #1574
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Hey Guys,

Took the delivery of my XUV yesterday (January'12 Manufactured). The delivery process was done in a smooth and professional manner and have driven 125 kms since.
Congrats Joyb! Would be looking forward to your ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Yea, got the call from Sterling Motors SA & he confirmed that while they were in training in chakan plant - many people raised the issue of Steering Rod. Now, M&M has sorted it out for all 2012 vehicles. So, things are going north for sure.
Naveen, Thanks. That's a great update. That steering rod issue could have physically hurt someone driving with sandals/open-shoes etc. Good that Mahindra sorted it out so soon.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 17:40   #1575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
This is great news. But..

If Mahindra truly want to go 'North', they must recall the 1st and 2nd batch of XUVs and sort out the issues free of cost. Only then will I be really, REALLY impressed.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks