Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:07   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

My friend sent me these images and i had a drive in his car as well, some thing major has blown up. This is a March, 2012 Rapid TDi and has done 48000 kms. The glow plug starts blinking on ignition, abs light, brake failure light, airbag light and engine control failure lights are all on.

The car is hesistant to pick up speed and is very jerky, the fuel indications are going up/down continuously and the idling rpm is stuck at 1000 rpm. The steering eps system has gone berserk and giving too much assist at 40-50 km/h, the steering has become so light that its unbelievable. I ran a OBD2 check and came with error code - U0121 - ABS Module failure.

Took the car on a deserted road and at 30-35 km/h, i slammed the brakes and the abs is not working as the car skidded towards one side. Unable to understand why steering assist is affected because of this failure or the whole BCM/ECU is faulty.

The car has warranty till march, 2016 but the issue is that it is overdue for service. Car is used in Jammu where the authorised workshop shut shop, he got late for service and got the oil + fuel filter + air filter changed there only, service reminder shows 1200 kms + 15 days overdue. Knowing Skoda, they would straight away reject warranty if he tells them that he got the work done outside, he is ready to get the whole servicing done again. Keeping fingers crossed and heading to the workshop tomorrow.

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-rapid-1.jpg

Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review-rapid.jpg
Old 27th December 2015, 08:43   #2327
RMB
BHPian

Guys, need your help. Getting delivery of my rapid this week. To my horror, the stock tires are jk vectras. Should I change them immediately after delivery? Spoke with a dealer, the prices offered is only 2k per piece.
Old 27th December 2015, 08:56   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Guys, need your help. Getting delivery of my rapid this week. To my horror, the stock tires are jk vectras. Should I change them immediately after delivery? Spoke with a dealer, the prices offered is only 2k per piece.
Yes, an upgrade is a must. Don't remember whether my swift had tornado or vectra, but they were JK tyres. After a highway trip I changed to Bridgestone.
JK vectra have good grip but are noisy and ride isn't exactly good.
For Rapid, better tyres are a must.

Also, I got a better price than 2000 rs/tyre for my swift vxi. Around 2700 rs/tyre, I changed all 5 tyres as the new tyre were wider than stock. Try a few place more, you may get a better price.

My wagon r also had JK and after changing to Bridgestone I regret not changing the tyres early.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 27th December 2015 at 09:01.
Old 27th December 2015, 09:12   #2329
RMB
BHPian

Thanks for quick reply aaggoswami. I'll try some other places for better deal. Any suggestion on new tyres. The store guy suggested BS turanzas or Michelin xm2s.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:03   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Thanks for quick reply aaggoswami. I'll try some other places for better deal. Any suggestion on new tyres. The store guy suggested BS turanzas or Michelin xm2s.
There is a separate thread of TBHP on this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...de-thread.html

The thread has got a lot more details and related discussions, including numerous tyre configurations.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 10:07   #2331

Hi Ppl,
Have been in search for a car for about 2 months now. Almost decided on an Elite I20 but then heard my heart's voice and now I would like a Sedan. With just 1.5 Lacs more and a very refined engine, thinking about the Rapid now. Is it a good buy?
Alos, I am from Chennai and Gurudev Motors is a monopoly here. Would appreciate if anyone could throw some light if the service of these guys has improved now.
Kindly suggest me other options also for 10-12 lacs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th December 2015, 13:34   #2332
BHPian

Hi guys.

The air filter of the rapid has a cover made up of some sort of a foam or some other material. Pls suggest

1. If at all it is needed?
2. after having driven for about 5k kms post the most recent service, it had accumulated bag loads of dirt. i have cleaned it. But would like to know if it needs to be replaced, or would cleaning it make it worthwhile for more kms?
Old 27th December 2015, 15:26   #2333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
My friend sent me these images and i had a drive in his car as well, some thing major has blown up. This is a March, 2012 Rapid TDi and has done 48000 kms. The glow plug starts blinking on ignition, abs light, brake failure light, airbag light and engine control failure lights are all on.

The car is hesistant to pick up speed and is very jerky, the fuel indications are going up/down continuously and the idling rpm is stuck at 1000 rpm. The steering eps system has gone berserk and giving too much assist at 40-50 km/h, the steering has become so light that its unbelievable. I ran a OBD2 check and came with error code - U0121 - ABS Module failure.

Took the car on a deserted road and at 30-35 km/h, i slammed the brakes and the abs is not working as the car skidded towards one side. Unable to understand why steering assist is affected because of this failure or the whole BCM/ECU is faulty.

The car has warranty till march, 2016 but the issue is that it is overdue for service. Car is used in Jammu where the authorised workshop shut shop, he got late for service and got the oil + fuel filter + air filter changed there only, service reminder shows 1200 kms + 15 days overdue. Knowing Skoda, they would straight away reject warranty if he tells them that he got the work done outside, he is ready to get the whole servicing done again. Keeping fingers crossed and heading to the workshop tomorrow.
Hey Coolboy007, any updates about your friend's Rapid?
Old 27th December 2015, 15:29   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltsr View Post
Have been in search for a car for about 2 months now. Almost decided on an Elite I20 but then heard my heart's voice and now I would like a Sedan.
The cars you're contemplating are class apart and vary to a sizeable extent in all facets.

Firstly, make up your mind on the form factor whether you need a hatchback or a sedan. Both forms have their own pros and cons.

That said, I suggest you to TD both the cars back to back on the same stretch of road if possible, to make out the difference yourself.

Rapid is way better than Elite i20 in terms of build quality, driving dynamics, power and comes with best AT in the segment (DQ200 DSG), whereas Elite i20 wins at design front which is fresh and winsome, it comes with lots of gizmos and is relatively easy to maintain.

Quote:
With just 1.5 Lacs more and a very refined engine, thinking about the Rapid now. Is it a good buy?

I beg to differ. The price difference between the two is a huge 3 lakhs IIRC. And coming to engine refinement, albeit the Rapid's 1.5 TDI is a proven oil-burner in terms of performance, the 1.4 CRDI of i20 has better refinement levels.

Quote:
Kindly suggest me other options also for 10-12 lacs. Thanks in advance.
In that price bracket you can consider other contenders from C-segment such as:

1. VW Vento

2. Honda City

3. Suzuki Ciaz

P.S: Rapid & Vento are VFM propositions. I'm a proud owner of 1.6 TDI Rapid for the past 2 years and I'm still loving it.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 27th December 2015 at 15:37. Reason: Spacing & alignment correction :)
Old 10th January 2016, 21:20   #2335
BHPian

Hi Friends,

My Rapid is 2012 make 35K on the ODO and got my third service done in November. Noticed two issues, need your valuable advise.

1. When I engage reverse gear, release the clutch and slightly apply accelerator I here a strange guzzzzz sound and it increases as I press the accelerator......this issue happens after driving the car for few kms and reverse up the ramp......during the sound it appears that something is slipping.

2. When I come home after driving few kms and switch off the ignition, I here three tick tick tick sound from under the bonnet.

Friends, please help me on these issues as I am clueless.
Old 11th January 2016, 03:36   #2336
BHPian

Hi BHPians,
Need some advice.

The delivery for my Rapid is next week.
Therefore wanted some suggestions on what car detailing should I go for immediately.

Till now, I've decided that I'll go for the 3M Paint Sealant procedure. Since the color is Carbon Black, it has a tendency to lose its sheen early, this seems like a logical choice.

I've heard the OEM under body protection for Skoda cars is decent and doesn't require any further upgrades. Is that true?

Also any other suggestions based on your ownership experiences would be invaluable.

Thanks!
Old 11th January 2016, 07:39   #2337

Quote:
Kindly suggest me other options also for 10-12 lacs.
Thanks in advance.
Have you considered Ford Ecosport - either the Petrol Titanium AT, or, the Diesel Titanium+? The Ecosport has great build quality. Also, both of these variants come with 6 air bags.

I have recently bought the Petrol AT variant and it did impress me out on the highway. Also the compact length and the high stance makes it practical for the urban jungle.
Old 11th January 2016, 07:49   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvhersh View Post
I've decided that I'll go for the 3M Paint Sealant procedure. Since the color is Carbon Black, it has a tendency to lose its sheen early, this seems like a logical choice.
Going for paint sealant is definitely a prudent decision. In my case, my dealer provided a Waxoyl paint protection treatment free of cost after a slight negotiation. You may ask your dealer for the same. That would save you some bucks. I'd suggest you to go for PPF (paint-protection-film) also, which would protect from scratches in the prone areas. This thread might come handy for you.

Quote:
I've heard the OEM under body protection for Skoda cars is decent and doesn't require any further upgrades. Is that true?
I was told the same during my purchase. But if you're skeptical about it or you live in a coastal area, I'd suggest you to go for under-body treatment. 3M Schutz is a rubberized under-body coat, which doubles up a sound deadening material along with anti-corrosive effect.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 10:50   #2339
Senior - BHPian

Added features in Style Plus variant :

Auto dimming interior rear view mirror.
Rain sensor with automatic activation of wipers.

Strange to note that although the rain and light sensor are there, still no auto headlamps. Could be a simple DIY though. Happy to see Skoda always keeping an edge over VW siblings in terms of features.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 11th January 2016 at 11:19. Reason: explained post.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:56   #2340

Hi Friends

Greetings to all.

I am finalising a 1.6 TDI Rapid Elegance Black - Make Mar'14 bought in Oct'14. 8340 on ODO from an IT executive who is relocating to US. It has extended warranty upto October 2019. Last servicing done at 6xxx KM in October 2015 with wheel rotation. Price Rs.8.40 lakhs. I am dealing with him directly. Is the price OK? Your views will help. Since the colour is black how do I protect its shine. In Hyderabad where can I get good detailing done at reasonable price?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks