Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 11:49   #4021
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Absolutley agree to what you say Tanveer.
Having said that , my own take is that- the ever crtic - never customer - regardless of the price points, will still find a way and reason to critisize and still not buy the car.
Get the service center act together, and it will cease to matter. The number of never customers will fall.
The Storme could have easily done 2000 units/month in the first gen itself if they would have kept less than 8% customers unhappy.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 12:45   #4022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

A manufacturer is not just the factory. The After sales service is also a big part of the equation. when over 10% of your customers are unhappy, your reputation takes a beating.

Until Tata starts pulling up their service centers, things will not improve. Just making a good vehicle is not enough. The Zest and Bolt show that amply. They are probably the best vehicles in that price range, but people are scared what will happen once warranty is over.

Product quality bit is 90% taken care off, but the service center bit, I do not see Tata getting strict with their service centers yet.
Right Sir.
I had been to the Tata Showroom in February, albeit to see the Bolt and Zest. The Sales representative showed me both the cars inside out, and then showed me the engine bay of a Revotron. While explaining to me and my father about the new turbo petrol engine, at least thrice, he mentioned that 'any garagewala' can work easily. That is enough to upset a customer.
Old 14th May 2015, 14:04   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
one thing I have noticed (in my Baleno and now with my Storme), is that the "first" sales and delivery and service rapport you make is the one that lasts you the lifetime of your vehicle.
Actually this is the case for most vehicles, including the Skoda I now own. There are n number of "horror" stories published by people who want the company to charge for a 3rd rate lodge room but expect to be treated like in a five-star hotel. Of people wanting to pay less than Tata prices and expecting to be pampered like a 25-lakh-plus customer. And of people talking from the wrong end without understanding the issue or even the vehicle/segment itself.

However if you generally do not throw your weight and self-importance around, most service centres whether Tata or Skoda or Hyundai will treat you well. Those who work there are people too - they are not Tata people or Merc people or Toyota people. While training in 'best practice' like in Toyota or some of the other TQM manufacturers (definitely does not include the VAG group, from my experience) can make the interactions smoother by default, this does not mean that you cannot get good service from the others.

Yes it means that you invest a bit of time in human relations - the question is whether you would prefer to pay a huge 'Toyota' premium for that or not. There is no one 'right' answer to this - you choose what suits you.

Me, I've had a reasonably good experience with both TML and Skoda. It may have been tempting to write off my TML experience as a fluke, but my experience with Skoda confirms my belief that given decent interaction, all dealerships of all manufacturers are capable of giving you good service.
Steeroid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 20:15   #4024
Senior - BHPian

@Ajay_satpute: I don't understand the relationship between engine capacity and cost of a vehicle.
@ebonho: not as an SUV, but as a vehicle. Scorpio is a mutated Jeep but with huge brand recall. Xylo is a comfortable people carrier. Storme has the best of both. Agreed that it excels both of them.
@Steeroid: at an introductory price, the Storme will make a mark and will be beneficial for Tata in the long term. Remember that the old Safari was sold at some 6 lakhs not too long ago. ( seen the ads on TV)
Tata more than 80% of Fortuner, I'm not sure too many people will agree with that.
Never-customer-forever-critic 😆 too funny to reply to such a fanboy comment.
I first drove the Safari when it was launched in 1998 I think. Didn't even have a licence then. Now I can afford it but have been waiting for the past 8 months for the refresh believing all the vapourware in this thread.
Old 14th May 2015, 21:52   #4025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I first drove the Safari when it was launched in 1998 I think. Didn't even have a licence then. Now I can afford it but have been waiting for the past 8 months for the refresh believing all the vapourware in this thread.
Firstly, if you go over the rules of this forum, you will find that we promote responsible driving. So careful with the driving without a lisence part.
Secondly, as regards the "vapourware" as you call it, well, the forum again is about people who are very passionate about vehicles and as such the outpouring of emotions in the form of wishes is I guess but normal. However, you will also notice that a large population amongst us are able to differentiate the wishes from the practically possible and therefore base our purchasing descisions on the latter. Hence those amongst us with the Stormes. However, the advantage of an unbiased forum such as this is that we all made the purchasing descisions based on the sound knowledge of the platform that we were interested in (based on excellent official reviews as well as user reviews) and were thus totaly aware of the pitfalls of the platform as well, since, we know that in a real world nothing ia perfect.
Lastly, as far as the Storme is concerned, most of us who own it are more than happy. As far as the new variant is concerned, the pricing is based on factors which only TATA knows. That being said, there are major upgrades as in the case of the clutch and major ommisions such as the drum brakes in the LX. But really, what matters is what you want. Time and again, it has been pointed out that the Safari is quite an aspirational vehicle. So do you really want one? If not, there are many reasons why you should not get one. But please do realise that waiting for something based on hearsay is not the best way forward. Understand what you want, understand the market realities where a SUV at 7.99 is impossible and move on! Cheers!
neel385 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 22:47   #4026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ajay_satpute: I don't understand the relationship between engine capacity and cost of a vehicle.
Here's one set of info to start with:

"In India, road tax is imposed by both the central (customs duty,Central excise, and central sales tax), state government (motor vehicles tax, passengers and goods tax, state VAT, and toll taxes) and local bodies (octroi). At the time of purchase of the vehicle, the central excise duty, central sales tax and state VAT are levied at the rates of 10%,3%, 2% and 12.5% respectively. The motor vehicles tax is calculated on the basis of various factors including engine capacity, seating capacity, unladen weight and cost price."

I assume you know that car companies try and keep a certain model in a certain slab (hatchback, compact sedan, etc...) based on engine capacity and few other factors.

For instance, the first Vento had 1.6 litre engine and that had put it in a different tax slab and automatically in a higher price range. So VW got a 1.5 liter engine and was able to reduce the cost. I can give you lots of examples but i think i have made my point.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 22:49   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Folks I was wondering, where is the HVAC filter placed in the Storme? I am sure it cannot be a DIY cleanup because the space below the dashboard above the driver and passenger foot-well is now well and truly sealed unlike the older Dicor which was left open for access and repair work, the AC filter used to be removed from there. Mr. Dhabhar.. can you please help?
Quoting an earlier thread, Does Storme come with a filter in the air conditioning system? Pardon my ignorance if some one has already replied.
Old 15th May 2015, 00:26   #4028
Senior - BHPian

How does the Storme Lx compare with the Xenon crew cabin 4x4. It costs only ₹737544 ex showroom including insurance. I'm unable to find any reviews on the forum.
Old 15th May 2015, 01:26   #4029
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
How does the Storme Lx compare with the Xenon crew cabin 4x4. It costs only ₹737544 ex showroom including insurance. I'm unable to find any reviews on the forum.
Sir,
You are comparing two very different vehicles. If you are looking at the Xenon, May i suggest you also have a look at the Sumo Gold?

I love the Xenon. There is a silver XT always parked near my house. I did get to talk to the driver on multiple occasions. All i could gather after the interaction with him was-

1. You can not seat more than 2 people in comfort. The rear bench is not at all comfortable. Lets not forget its Utility Vehicle, not a MUV.

2. Now you can register it privately, But convincing the folks at the Toll Plaza's is quite a task. They want you to pay the toll for the commercial vehicles.

3. No safety features on the crew cab. The driver i talked to drives the XT 2.2 which comes with ABS.etc. Though he had no clue about it, I could understand that braking on his Xenon was good. I don't think that is the case with crew cab.

4. If the loading bay is empty, the truck tends to fishtail and driving on typical Indian 2-lane Ghat roads is very difficult due to the large turning radius.

On the other hand points 1, 2 & 4 are not a problem with the Storme(LX) & Sumo. Sumo Gold has decent braking too. I was recently driven in one for a family function. The ride quality & interior-space was respectable.

Overall if i were in your place my preference would be Storme>Sumo>Xenon. If you are too keen on a 4x4, then please have a look at the S4+ Scoprio 4wd.

I am sure the existing Storme & Xenon owners can give you a better idea about their vehicles. Happy SUV shopping!

Asit
Old 15th May 2015, 07:55   #4030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
asit.kulkarni93 : If you are looking at the Xenon, May i suggest you also have a look at the Sumo Gold?
The Xenon vs Sumo Gold is as similar as the Storme vs Xenon

The Xenon has different versions, but all the India versions look to be on the 3.0L Dicor engine, unlike the 2.2L Varicor that powers the Storme. Even before we get to comfort, the Xenon is way too long for city, esp if number of passengers is less. The Sumo is just great for city or even hills - extremely maneuverable. But out on the highway, I would not take it to the speeds that I would take the Storme.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 08:35   #4031
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Xenon vs Sumo Gold is as similar as the Storme vs Xenon

The Xenon has different versions, but all the India versions look to be on the 3.0L Dicor engine, unlike the 2.2L Varicor that powers the Storme. Even before we get to comfort, the Xenon is way too long for city, esp if number of passengers is less. The Sumo is just great for city or even hills - extremely maneuverable. But out on the highway, I would not take it to the speeds that I would take the Storme.

Sir,
The Xenon is offered with 2 engines in India. The 3.0L Dicor & the 2.2L Dicor. The 3.0L has the 112bhp/300NM & 72bhp/223NM output. The 2.2L has the 140Bhp/320NM output which is the XT.

Agreed on the highway part, Storme is the best buy of the 3.

Asit
Old 15th May 2015, 10:25   #4032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
asit.kulkarni93 : The Xenon is offered with 2 engines in India. The 3.0L Dicor & the 2.2L Dicor. The 3.0L has the 112bhp/300NM & 72bhp/223NM output. The 2.2L has the 140Bhp/320NM output which is the XT.
Ah ! So you refering to the XT and not the Xenon itself.

Irrespective of the engine, the Xenon variants are not very suitable for normal commutes & passenger transportation - unless the person is also regularly hauling some cargo, may be for his business.
Old 15th May 2015, 19:51   #4033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Quoting an earlier thread, Does Storme come with a filter in the air conditioning system? Pardon my ignorance if some one has already replied.
Checked with my service advisor during the last service, as per him, Storme doesn't have a AC filter, surprising and disappointing since even the Bolt, Zest and the Nano have a filter. As per him the reason is the Safari is considered an offroad SUV!!. On a personal note: not sure how a 2000kg 4x2, almost 5 meter long, 2 meter wide vehicle can offroad??
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 21:31   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
On a personal note: not sure how a 2000kg 4x2, almost 5 meter long, 2 meter wide vehicle can offroad??
Oh man! Pushed my beast quite a few times, the latest being in the slush in the core area of Buxa forest reserve in the Dooars at 2200 hrs in search of elephants. She is more at home off the tarmac than on it me feels! I must also add that I did get stuck in a river bed in soft sand where some manual labour in the form of setting stones under the rear wheels was required and I did miss the 4X4, but all things taken into consideration, she is pretty composed off road. Check out the travellouges of ADC see see the exploits of his Safari for more!
neel385 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 21:39   #4035
BHPian

The tire end bolts which were replaced recently have started making a tak noise again on full steering. What do I do now? This is probably the 5th or the 6th set I have replaced under warranty! What could the reason be? I was told Tata has got new ones which have a fuller thread which will last longer but these ones have gone the fastest!!
DB - any thoughts on the same?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks