Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 07:16   #4411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
EDIT: Congratulations subrasri on your first post. Just noticed your post after posting mine, hence editing it. Welcome to the forum. Which colour is yours? Did you notice the colour of the rear spoiler, the thing that my SE pointed out?

I checked my GT yesterday. The rear spoiler is still black(not body colour). One other thing observed is the front wiper blades can be directly lifted from their normal position for cleaning the windshield. The bonnet doesn't come in its way which I understand was the case in previous versions. This I found by accident yesterday although my SA had demonstrated (during delivery)the way of moving the blades via the wiper control before lifting it.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile users. Quote only the relevant portion of the post instead. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st March 2017 at 16:01. Reason: See note in post :)
subrasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 10:36   #4412
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
I checked my GT yesterday. The rear spoiler is still black(not body colour).
Yes, you are right. My SE took back his word yesterday. Actually the cars come from the factory in a white cover that needs to be peeled off, and after peeling off a portion of it from the area over the spoiler, it was found last afternoon that it was still painted black. Any way, either way, it's not a big deal for me.

Quote:
One other thing observed is the front wiper blades can be directly lifted from their normal position for cleaning the windshield. The bonnet doesn't come in its way which I understand was the case in previous versions. This I found by accident yesterday although my SA had demonstrated (during delivery)the way of moving the blades via the wiper control before lifting it.
Thanks for this information. I had no idea how the wiper blades were before. But this is very important for the person who cleans our cars in the morning.

Coming back to the topic of the tyres, if I want to change in the stock size or upsize, what are my options?

195/55/R16 is not a very common size. Not many tyres are available in this size. Is 205/55/R16 a correct upsize? It will further increase the GC by about 5mm. That will add to the already increased GC by about 9mm from the previous 15" version. Unless, VW has tweaked the suspension system appropriately, is it advisable to upsize to 205/55/R16? A few more tyre options are available in this size.

Unfortunately, the Yoko S-drive is not available in either of these sizes. I heard that the S-drive has harder rubber than Michelin Primacy 3 STs or Conti MC5s. The idea of having slightly harder rubber is to, sort of, balance out the softish suspension of the GT, now with increased GC. Are there any options with Bridgestone?

All this is in theory. I cannot claim myself even remotely to be a tyre-expert. So, if the idea is wrong, kindly advise.

Should I post this in the tyre section of the forum?
Old 1st March 2017, 11:29   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
I checked my GT yesterday. The rear spoiler is still black(not body colour). One other thing observed is the front wiper blades can be directly lifted from their normal position for cleaning the windshield. The bonnet doesn't come in its way which I understand was the case in previous versions. This I found by accident yesterday although my SA had demonstrated (during delivery)the way of moving the blades via the wiper control before lifting it.
Ok stupid question, but did u try lifting the driver side blade?
Px side wiper blade never had an issue. Its the Driver side wiper which used to get blocked by the bonnet edge.
There is a valid reason why its designed the way it is. I think the old "service" position was needed for places that get a lot of snow during winter. That feature is completely unnecessary for our climate.

VW now please add a light in the boot area!
Old 1st March 2017, 11:35   #4414

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Ok stupid question, but did u try lifting the driver side blade?
Px side wiper blade never had an issue. Its the Driver side wiper which used to get blocked by the bonnet edge.
There is a valid reason why its designed the way it is. I think the old "service" position was needed for places that get a lot of snow during winter. That feature is completely unnecessary for our climate.

VW now please add a light in the boot area!
Hi Freedom I have the Polo TSi (Nov make) which I bought in Jan and I can confirm that the passenger side wiper now can be lifted without touching the bonnet. They made a small curve on it so that it does not touch the bonnet.
palace35mm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 11:40   #4415
BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to the topic of the tyres, if I want to change in the stock size or upsize, what are my options?

195/55/R16 is not a very common size. Not many tyres are available in this size. Is 205/55/R16 a correct upsize? It will further increase the GC by about 5mm. That will add to the already increased GC by about 9mm from the previous 15" version. Unless, VW has tweaked the suspension system appropriately, is it advisable to upsize to 205/55/R16? A few more tyre options are available in this size.

Unfortunately, the Yoko S-drive is not available in either of these sizes. I heard that the S-drive has harder rubber than Michelin Primacy 3 STs or Conti MC5s. The idea of having slightly harder rubber is to, sort of, balance out the softish suspension of the GT, now with increased GC. Are there any options with Bridgestone?

All this is in theory. I cannot claim myself even remotely to be a tyre-expert. So, if the idea is wrong, kindly advise.

Should I post this in the tyre section of the forum?
Go through the polo thread in the tire section. It will answer all your questions. If you are going to upsize to 16's - I believe the correct upsize is 205/50 R16. 205/55 is the correct upsize for R15.

Last edited by VellVector : 1st March 2017 at 11:40. Reason: Grammatical error.
Old 1st March 2017, 12:18   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Go through the polo thread in the tire section. It will answer all your questions. If you are going to upsize to 16's - I believe the correct upsize is 205/50 R16. 205/55 is the correct upsize for R15.
I have gone through most of that thread and I believe the answers are not really there, because from February 2017 make GTs or thereabouts, the stock size of tyres are 195/55/R16 on 16" new alloys. Most of the discussion in that thread is based on the then available stock tyre size and stock rims of 15".

I am not intending to upsize to 16" rims, because in my car the rims are already 16".

I am considering (1) change of tyres staying within the stock size of 195/55/R16, or (2) upsizing to 205/55/R16 which I tend to believe to be the correct upsize if the stock size is 195/55/R16.

You may have misunderstood my post. Now after I have explained the current stock size, kindly go through my previous post. I shall be grateful to receive an answer. The thread you mention discusses an upsize to 16", but from the stock size of 15". In my case, and all cases from now on, the stock size is already 16".

BTW, I just had a discussion with a dear friend of mine who is also a BHPian and drives a Linea T-Jet. He told me, having harder rubbers on a softish suspension would be bad, it would put a lot more stress on the suspension. He said, it's always better to have softer rubbers with a soft suspension. I can understand his logic.

Last edited by asitkde : 1st March 2017 at 12:21.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:09   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
You may have misunderstood my post. Now after I have explained the current stock size, kindly go through my previous post. I shall be grateful to receive an answer. The thread you mention discusses an upsize to 16", but from the stock size of 15". In my case, and all cases from now on, the stock size is already 16".
My mistake. I didn't notice that the stock size has been changed to 16. Could you share a picture of the new 16 inch wheels when you get a chance.

Either way, as I mentioned before the correct size in 205 for the polo is 205/50 R16 which should be applicable for your car as well. You should be those in Continental and Michelin.
Old 1st March 2017, 14:33   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Either way, as I mentioned before the correct size in 205 for the polo is 205/50 R16 which should be applicable for your car as well. You should be those in Continental and Michelin.
I have not understood that, because I think the correct upsize has to depend on the stock rim and tyre size. It should not be independently determined, since the suspension etc are tuned for the stock tyres and rims. Hence, while the 205/50/R16 may be the correct upsize from the previous stock 185/60/R15, it may not be from 195/55/R16. Am I wrong?

Somebody kindly explain.
Old 1st March 2017, 15:24   #4419
BHPian

Quote:
I have not understood that, because I think the correct upsize has to depend on the stock rim and tyre size. It should not be independently determined, since the suspension etc are tuned for the stock tyres and rims. Hence, while the 205/50/R16 may be the correct upsize from the previous stock 185/60/R15, it may not be from 195/55/R16. Am I wrong?

Somebody kindly explain.
You need to work out the rolling diameter of the tire and see which of the options give you the smallest difference. Generally speaking, as long as the difference is within +-2% it is fine. In 205 the 205/50 will give you a lower rolling difference but will also reduce your ride height. 205/55 will give you a higher rolling difference but with a higher ride height.

You are correct that the odometer will be tuned for the stock size rims and tires. Also since the car is now coming with the 195 width tires, I think it is good enough for the Polo. An upgrade may not be necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-tire-size-2.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-tire-size-1.jpg  

VellVector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 20:33   #4420

Got the delivery of my white Polo GT TSI yesterday, after an arduous wait of 10 weeks. Car came with Goodyear tyres, headed straight to the tyre shop and upsized to Yoko S drives 205 50 R16. Coming from Michelins on my Civic, no immediate perceptible negatives like tyre noise, humming, harshness experienced yet. The true nature might reveal slowly, but happy with car, tranny, ride and stance for now. Looking forward to taking bangalore traffic jams in a happy stride and reaching office/home with a smile !!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th March 2017 at 09:16. Reason: Please use emojis from TBHP only.
A myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 21:04   #4421
Senior - BHPian

You may want to try out the automated web tool that compares size. It also tells you if and by how much will your speedo vary with different sizes. https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:23   #4422
BHPian

This evening shortly after 6PM we took delivery of our February 2017 made GT TSi in flash red colour. We booked it on 7 February. It was shipped from factory on 17th and arrived at the dealership on 26th.

Tomorrow morning I will go to my standard tyre shop on VIP Road to have tyres exchanged to Continental MC5 195/55/R16.

Yes, I am sticking to the current stock size. On 16" rims, while both the 205/55 and the 205/50 are theoretically correct sizes, the 205/55 will raise the GC too much, I think, and the 205/50 will have too little side profile for our uneven roads. I feel, 195/55 is the ideal size with the 16" rims for the intended use on our roads.
asitkde is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 23:48   #4423
BHPian

Quote:
This evening shortly after 6PM we took delivery of our February 2017 made GT TSi in flash red colour. We booked it on 7 February. It was shipped from factory on 17th and arrived at the dealership on 26th.

Tomorrow morning I will go to my standard tyre shop on VIP Road to have tyres exchanged to Continental MC5 195/55/R16.

Yes, I am sticking to the current stock size. On 16" rims, while both the 205/55 and the 205/50 are theoretically correct sizes, the 205/55 will raise the GC too much, I think, and the 205/50 will have too little side profile for our uneven roads. I feel, 195/55 is the ideal size with the 16" rims for the intended use on our roads.

Congrats asitkde. Welcome to the GT club. By the way I upgraded my Goodyear tyres to continental mc5 earlier this eve. I did feel the improvements in ride quality and increased braking ability. Overall I feel it's worth the upgrade. Happy driving in your new GT.
Old 4th March 2017, 07:26   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats asitkde. Welcome to the GT club. By the way I upgraded my Goodyear tyres to continental mc5 earlier this eve. I did feel the improvements in ride quality and increased braking ability. Overall I feel it's worth the upgrade. Happy driving in your new GT.
Thank you, subrasri. Which size did you choose? 195/55/R16? Or did you upsize?

Our other car (2012 Honda City) now rides on Continental MC5 too, so I am more or less aware what to expect. I keep 32 psi on those as Honda recommends.

However, I noticed yesterday, at the time of the delivery, VW recommends a tyre pressure of 36 ps with 2 people onboard. It's written on the inside of the fuel lid cover. That's high pressure indeed for a hatch. I hope that's not a typo.

GT owners, kindly share the tyre pressures you maintain. Was it this high for the earlier 15" size?
Old 4th March 2017, 08:24   #4425
BHPian

I went for 195/55/16 only, thought that should be ideal for the new GT. in terms of tyre pressure even I have my doubts if 36psi should be ideal pressure for 2 people. I actually checked with the tyre shop guy and he said to stick with the recommended psi from the manufacturer. Even in my Linea Tjet that comes with 205/55/16 profile recommended psi for front tyres was 36 and rear 33 psi. However with 36 psi I found the ride in Tjet to be more harder especially over speed breakers for 2 people. Because of that experience for the GT I had kept it at 34 psi for the front and 32 psi for the rear. However eager to hear from other bhpian tyre experts if this is advisable or better to stick with manufacturer recommended psi?

Sriram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks