Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:51   #4306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
With VW being notorious for launching updates and upgrades ever so often, has anyone heard anything new coming in for the GT TSI? I am looking to buy one but am nervous that I would end up buying at the wrong time. Was hearing rumors that the engine is going to be replaced by a DOHC engine? Also when I inquired with a dealer here in Mumbai, he said it would take 2 months to procure the GT TSI fueling my concerns even more that maybe an upgrade is due. Any thoughts anyone?

As someone who just got one, I did think of the same question before deciding so let me try & explain my reasoning.

With the current trim of the GT I would say you are unlikely to miss out on a whole lot else because VW have now crammed it with almost everything worthwhile. So as it is, it's already quite loaded. Yes there are bits n bobs here n there that you could fault them with but to hold out a purchase just for smaller features they could incrementally add is not the best thing to do.

If you think about it, you already have stuff like:
Cruise control, full function MID, Harman sound system, Auto rain sensing wipers, integrated turn LED's, electrically foldable and adjustable ORVM, auto dimming IRVM, touch screen infotainment (although not the biggest or best in segment), steering controls, great stock alloys apart from the brilliant engine & gearbox.

The Polo platform is due from a complete change most likely by end of the year or next. So if at all they update the features I would say it would be based on what they'd offer in line with the new upcoming Vento Highline + trim.

To sum it up the only things that could probably be thrown it would be:
- Updated HU with car play/reverse parking camera as standard
- HID's & DRL's
- interior trim upholstery etc

Apart from this there's really nothing else the car "lacks" in particular. Most of it's existing shortcomings can easily be modded and improved over stock condition immediately depending on only two things, your budget and your priority needs.

So go for it. You will enjoy it.

And I think the 2 month wait is not correct. Probably just the dealer positioning the sale to make an impression of demand or safeguard against missed delivery commitments because on the order form they do mention & record a date they'd like to stick to & VW themselves have the tracking of the same in their sales feedback experience and tracking. Which dealer did you go to?

A month or 4 weeks should be fine. The GT is however made to order I believe and is not produced in mass stocks from what I have understood.

I booked mine on 12 Dec & got her home on 18Jan. At all times the SA kept me updated on my order and allocation via email and phone considering I am based out of the country primarily with only short trips back home intermittently. I can share the SA's contact with you if you would like.
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 15:07   #4307
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
So go for it. You will enjoy it.
VW's continual facelifts and new editions might be a bit weird, but I don't know that we can really grumble about it. Sure, those who buy in three months time might get a car with an extra feature or two. Good for them. And it is good for them.

Those who want/need to buy now: just do it! And don't be disappointed when the next facelift comes out --- just think about all the extra stuff we'll get when we trade in, a few years down the line.

If there is anything else left for them to add by then! . There probably will be: they have a long way to go before filling up the array of empty switch blanks, or upgrading details to European standards.
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:32   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
As someone who just got one, I did think of the same question before deciding so let me try & explain my reasoning.
Thanks Vandit! Valid points I agree. Similar thoughts in terms of the car being fully loaded but no harm in expecting ever more value for the money ! Could you PM me the SA's contact? I contacted the Showroom near Lokhandwala, Andheri which said that the waiting is 2 months. Then I contacted the Kandivali one also and they said that it is readily available! Neither have bothered to call back with queries that I asked them.
curiosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:35   #4309
BHPian

I got my delivery in a week's time since i wanted Flaming Red, while they had Carbon Steel ready for delivery. A month sounds quite long.
Pretorian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:51   #4310
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
I got my delivery in a week's time since i wanted Flaming Red, while they had Carbon Steel ready for delivery. A month sounds quite long.

It depends on the situation. In December Red & White were readily available with my dealer but the Carbon Steel wasn't. In India I don't think there is the concept of shared pool of units between dealers for every model. Also VW don't manufacture the GT in massive volumes from what was explained to me... Because honestly 10.7L for a hatch no matter how brilliant it might be mechanically, is a stretch for majority of our Indian consumers who'd size it up against a decent sedan for the money.

So it's quite possible he's getting a different picture from every dealer.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 15:09   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vandit! Valid points I agree. Similar thoughts in terms of the car being fully loaded but no harm in expecting ever more value for the money ! Could you PM me the SA's contact? I contacted the Showroom near Lokhandwala, Andheri which said that the waiting is 2 months. Then I contacted the Kandivali one also and they said that it is readily available! Neither have bothered to call back with queries that I asked them.
And the updates are not free. Every feature bump increase the price a bit. But of course, the price bump is lesser than the sum of the prices of the features. But I don't think any major change like new DOHC engine is making its way to the GT TSI's hood soon. 2 months wait, although kind of long, is not extremely long as to warrant a suspicion about major changes. I booked on September 12, 2015. I got it on October 28th. So ya, 1.5 months.

Go for it!
Old 25th January 2017, 13:21   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
And the updates are not free. Every feature bump increase the price a bit. But of course, the price bump is lesser than the sum of the prices of the features. But I don't think any major change like new DOHC engine is making its way to the GT TSI's hood soon. 2 months wait, although kind of long, is not extremely long as to warrant a suspicion about major changes. I booked on September 12, 2015. I got it on October 28th. So ya, 1.5 months.

Go for it!
Spoke with a sane dealership (reference provided by Vandit) getting shorter delivery timelines and a 2017 VIN. Will keep updating on the progress!
Old 28th January 2017, 12:00   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Spoke with a sane dealership (reference provided by Vandit) getting shorter delivery timelines and a 2017 VIN. Will keep updating on the progress!

Did you get a chance to try her out and decide? I think the availability should have improved now.. Keep us posted
Old 30th January 2017, 22:20   #4314
Distinguished - BHPian

My Dec 2014 GT TSI just came back from its second service recently. The has competed about 13,500 kms in the two years. I had two complaints
  1. Clunky sound coming from the front end. Could be struts, link rods, faulty mounts or a bad engine mount even. The sound wasn't coming all the time. But offlate its occurence had increased greatly.
  2. DSG box was feeling a bit jerky in general, esp the downshift from D3 to D2 was very bad. The issue was a big jerk when you hit the brakes and the car slowed down and GB shifted down one by one and when it would go from D3 to D2 there would be a jerk that pushed the car forward, almost fighting the brakes, accompanied by metallic 'clank' sound.

When I told the service advisor (VW Palace Cross Hesarghatta) about it, he immediately called for a QC engineer and asked me to go for a test drive. The clunk from the front end played truant and refused to show up even on very rough rods. Nonetheless I told him to check for all possible areas. I also told him that I felt that front struts had packed up as the body roll had increased a lot and tautness in handling was missing, including poor absorption of road imperfections. I was hoping for a warranty replacement of struts. I asked him to retorque all the suspension joints once.

But he did feel that the DSG was not smooth and was indeed jerky. Solution offered was to update the DSG software to the latest version and then observe.

The did the software update but said there was nothing wrong with the suspension. The had retorqued the bolts as requested and carried out a few road tests and concluded that there was no sound and suspension was OK.

I collected the car back the same evening and have driven about 50 kms since. Surprisingly the suspension issue seems to be sorted out. The sound has disappeared and the handling is much better. Even the ride quality is much improved. It now feels like the fun car it was when it was new. Maybe it was a loose nut after all.

Also the DSG feels much smoother now. The jerkiness is nearly gone and power delivery feels more assured. One thing I am noticing is that the gear box now has a tendency to shift to D1 more often at crawling speeds. Earlier it preferred to stay in D2 and slip the clutch. I still have doubts about its long time reliability though.

Overall a good experience.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th January 2017 at 22:28.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 12:59   #4315
Senior - BHPian

I am in a similar situation. Getting fantastic deals for 2016 stock but not able to pull the trigger due to the rumours of the new DOHC engine for the Polo.

If I buy now and the new engine comes in a couple of months, I miss out on a better engine. If I don't buy and the new engine does not show up, I miss out on the deals. In both cases I will be the loser.

Can anyone here throw some light as to whether the murmurs of the new DOHC engine are just rumours or there is some substance to these.

Quote:
I am looking to buy one but am nervous that I would end up buying at the wrong time. Was hearing rumors that the engine is going to be replaced by a DOHC engine?
Old 1st February 2017, 14:56   #4316

Quote:
On my way to pick my car up as I write this. Yes there was a minor increase on the price.

Will post details later in the day
HI Vandit I am from Hyderabad and have recently got the delivery of my GT TSi on the 11th of Jan and I was also told the prices are going up but to my surprise the dealer had to return money to me as I had given higher down payment since I was not sure how much loan I would get approved for, so when I got a cheque from the dealer I was given an additional refund of Rs.8000 than what I was supposed to receive. Its Nov 2016 stock and I had booked the car on the 10th of December. Hope you don't pay up more.
palace35mm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 15:17   #4317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If I buy now and the new engine comes in a couple of months, I miss out on a better engine. If I don't buy and the new engine does not show up, I miss out on the deals. In both cases I will be the loser. ...
And left waiting for fantastic '17-model deals that you will get next year.

If your need is not urgent, and price is an object, then having a policy of buying only at fantastic-deal times might be a very good idea.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 15:51   #4318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And left waiting for fantastic '17-model deals that you will get next year.

I have bought my last four cars at exactly the right time and benefitted from the end of the year deals. Now it seems that the time has come to wait for the new DOHC engine, need not being that urgent. Having said that, clarity on the engine change would be the best thing to happen

Quote:
If your need is not urgent, and price is an object, then having a policy of buying only at fantastic-deal times might be a very good idea.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 21:27   #4319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace35mm View Post
Its Nov 2016 stock and I had booked the car on the 10th of December. Hope you don't pay up more.
Hi, thanks for the update. Well basically i think the difference in your case and mine is the Model Year.

So essentially when I spoke to them in Dec and made the booking, I was clear it was to be a JAN 17 model because they anyway didn't have the carbon steel in stock and the earliest they could give it to me was in Jan. So i said if i was going to get delivery only in Jan and a registration done obviously in Jan - then i might as well take a Jan production model.

So for me my car is JAN17 model for which the price revision by VW was a paltry sum. Ex-showroom INR 939815 in Jan vs INR 935046 in Dec or approx 0.5% as per the initial proforma invoice. To be honest i was expecting a much bigger hike than this.

So i believe for you since it was NOV16 stock - hence the adjustment or offer in case the dealership wanted to get rid of the 2016 units.

In fact my dealer late in December confirmed that there were a couple of 2016 units of Red/White which were still without buyers and suggested that we wait till Jan for the billing to come from VW for the 2017 model and if I found the final price revision too high - he was more than happy to let me take the 2016 units at the older price. So i was happy to wait and see what VW billed in Jan. Turns out it was ok and if my dealers word is to be believed, they had no trouble in finding owners for the last remaining DEC16 stock units either - which indicated to me that at face value of his statement the car is indeed able to justify demand even if it is niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I agree. But what I am now really interested in is to understand what is the amount of the fantastic deal that is being offered. I would be quite surprised to know there are 2016 units of the GT being offered and cool discount!

Possible it depends on which part of the country - but for Mumbai definitely the GT isn't available off the shelves and there is some amount of wait. 2016 units i believe by now are long taken

Last edited by Vandit : 1st February 2017 at 21:33.
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:52   #4320
BHPian

A quick update on the FE after a month of ownership.

During my research days, I’d tried to dig a lot about the FE of the GT, however there wasn’t a lot of data to play with. So, for prospective buyers, I decided to periodically post the FE after I got one.
(Detailed ones with all the important metrics)

PS: The first figure of 15.3 km/L was achieved on the Ahmedabad – Mumbai highway. The subsequent fills have been exposed to continuous city drives. (Office timings - 70% B2B traffic).
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-average-january.jpg  

GTp0wer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks