Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 09:32   #4726
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Why a 3 year old GT TSI has run only 7k km is something you need to carefully verify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
Only 7k on a three year plus old gt tsi sounds fishy. Moreover you are going to miss a number of features that have been added since its introduction in 2014.
Yesterday visited the dealer with my wife. The vehicle had body damages all around and had engine malfunction and oil temperature warning in cluster. The interior was pretty decent. On top of all the dealer said its a deal between the seller and buyer directly and he is not involved in this particular vehicle kept on display.
All these were sufficient warning to stay away from it.
Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:06   #4727
BHPian

Hi,

I am experiencing a mild jerk when the gearbox shifts from D4 to D3 while slowing down. The same can be experiened when downshifting from D3 to D2 as well, but not as bad as the D4-D3 jerk. It happens all the time. The vehicle has clocked 3200 km in 4 months majorly consisting of highway runs and city usage in mild traffic. Is the jerk a common characteristic of the gearbox?

My DSG equipped Superb has clocked 64,000+ km and I have never experienced anything similar.

Last edited by csr9 : 8th August 2017 at 13:20.
Old 8th August 2017, 13:25   #4728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
Hi,

I am experiencing a mild jerk when the gearbox shifts from D4 to D3 while slowing down. The same can be experiened when downshifting from D3 to D2 as well, but not as bad as the D4-D3 jerk. It happens all the time. The vehicle has clocked 3200 km in 4 months majorly consisting of highway runs and city usage in mild traffic. Is the jerk a common characteristic of the gearbox?
I have not experienced the D4-D3 jerk that you have mentioned. I have noticed the D3-D2 jerk, but it is very mild and not often.

By slowing down, could you help clarify.
a) getting off the accelerator and letting it shift down (without hitting the brake)
b) braking normally in traffic
c) braking hard
Old 9th August 2017, 12:43   #4729
Distinguished - BHPian

A strange thing happened last week. I was driving my GT TSI with my friend's and my family. There were 2 kids on board too. One kid accidentally threw a ball from the rear seat and it hit the gear lever. It shifted to neutral!
The car revved hard (obviously)! I stopped the car immediately and then changed back to D mode
Later when the car was stopped, I checked again and the gear lever indeed changes to Neutral without pressing the button!
Is it normal? I was always under the impression that the driving mode can only be changed by pressing the button on the gear lever!
was my understanding itself wrong or should I get it addressed by the service centre?
Old 9th August 2017, 13:43   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Later when the car was stopped, I checked again and the gear lever indeed changes to Neutral without pressing the button!
Is it normal? I was always under the impression that the driving mode can only be changed by pressing the button on the gear lever!
This is normal.
You don't need to press the button while changing from "D to N" or from "N to D"
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 14:12   #4731
BHPian

I think for N to D you have to press the brake pedal, I will check in the evening. From what I remember whenever the lever is on neutral the "press brake pedal" green light in ON in the instrument cluster.
Old 9th August 2017, 14:34   #4732
Distinguished - BHPian

The button is to help prevent dire consequences. For example, selecting R or P when travelling forwards. I guess it doesn't make it impossible, just a little harder. I knew a guy who destroyed his gear box by engaging R at high speed. Actually, the forward gears still worked, but the car could not be driven backwards.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 18:47   #4733
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I think for N to D you have to press the brake pedal, I will check in the evening. From what I remember whenever the lever is on neutral the "press brake pedal" green light in ON in the instrument cluster.
And while the car is moving, you can change from N to D (and back) even without the brake pedal.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 20:23   #4734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
And while the car is moving, you can change from N to D (and back) even without the brake pedal.
I must be missing something; this gives the impression that the car moves in N. D to N is clear.
Old 9th August 2017, 21:37   #4735
Team-BHP Support

Obviously not something I'd want someone to try (you've had your disclaimer), but does the manual say something about this?

What happens if someone tries to shift into P or R on a modern auto-box when on the move? Does it just disregard the shift, or does it go boom? Why I ask is I've read in plenty of places (including some T-BHP reviews, I think) that some gearboxes disregard downshifts if one tries to shift to a ridiculously low gear at high(er) speeds. Shouldn't that AI apply to P/R modes too, given you're practically trying to stop/go backwards using the gearbox while still going forward?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th August 2017 at 21:38.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 21:50   #4736
BHPian

I did that once: engaged P while moving. Fortunately I was crawling to a stop, at the point when I slotted to P the car was almost standstill. Anyway, as soon as the lever hit P the car stopped abruptly. I was jolted. Lesson learned.
Old 9th August 2017, 22:13   #4737
Senior - BHPian

I have done the mistake on automatic vento, shifting to P while car was still moving. I did it instinctively like we shift to neutral while coming to complete stop in a manual car. The sound that car made, still gives me nighmares, when i think about it. So please don't do it
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 22:30   #4738
Senior - BHPian

Could work differently on different cars but engineering these days is fairly idiot proof.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 9th August 2017 at 22:36.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 22:49   #4739
Team-BHP Support

Another thought:

I've seen some autoboxes requiring a sideways shift to activate manual mode. Why isn't something like that widely used for P/R modes, wouldn't it make accidental shifts difficult? Design constraints?
Old 9th August 2017, 22:57   #4740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Another thought:

I've seen some autoboxes requiring a sideways shift to activate manual mode. Why isn't something like that widely used for P/R modes, wouldn't it make accidental shifts difficult? Design constraints?
I have seen some auto boxes having gates where you do have to move the cog laterally and aft/rear to slot into some gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks