Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 00:06   #3856
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Color Lover View Post
Honda has just hiked prices by Rs. 10000. Ford went all the way up to Rs. 50000. Also Ecosports launch happened after 1.5 years of unveiling due to content localisation. It was to keep costs down. What happened to all that?
Is it 50,000? then im pretty sure the rise is not because of raw material cost. 10-20000 rise is justifiable. 50K, ford is getting greedier.

The fact that top end eco-sports are being preffered, Ford came to a conclusion that they had priced it lower and wanted to rise it.
Which is ok but not giving price protection is all about greediness and trying to make money on consumers weakness (love for new vehicle). I feel bad for those who had already sold their current vehicle and booked eco-sport.
Old 8th September 2013, 00:30   #3857
BHPian

This price hike has certainly left a bad taste for all those who are still waiting for the delivery. However, if one thinks with a cool head, there is still no option in the same price band which offers pseudo SUV looks, has some class leading safety features (e.g. 6 Airbags, EPS, HLA on AT version), futuristic interiors (subjective) and decent build quality. So as a customer, I've two options: Take the shoddy treatment given by Ford India into the stride, smile and move on till the time I cam stick it to Ford OR Vote with my feet and take my Million to some other manufacturer.

P.S.: I'm also one of the early booking ones who are waiting for delivery.

Last edited by TSIched'Out : 8th September 2013 at 00:31.
TSIched'Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 00:33   #3858

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
* Rear seat. Seriously a shocker, we were expecting it to be little cramped going by the reviews. But sorry, this is a 2 seater, 3 ppl cant rest their back at the same time. No-way.
* Suspension was too stiff for city drive, it is bumpy. All 3 felt the same.
Rear seat is definitely a concern for anyone who has to load 5 passengers (including driver) on a regular basis.
It has been 1 week since I took delivery of my ecosport, I felt that the suspensions is really good (takes all potholes happily without cringing). I test drove duster as well (twice) and think if ecosport suspension is not better than duster, then it is not worse either.

Today I took the car on NICE road and I was able to speed upto 120 kmph with engine revving around 3k (5th gear). After that car was kind of huffing and puffing. This is not a concern for me (I will rarely drive beyond 80-90) but those looking for EXTRA power may need to think.

Overall it is a good package. And yes, mars red is definitely a head turner. I am enjoying the attention
ZENith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 06:54   #3859
Senior - BHPian

The delay in launch was for localization, but they could not achieve that, so had to start by way of importing, which gave ford less margins. Coupled to this the rupee devaluation. There was bound to be price rise.

As for ford exporting more that would have been predecided, as this will give some chance to make money.

They can concentrate on local market when the dollar is more sensible.

But they should honour the pre-bookings tough.
Old 8th September 2013, 08:20   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The delay in launch was for localization, but they could not achieve that, so had to start by way of importing, which gave ford less margins. Coupled to this the rupee devaluation. There was bound to be price rise.
Ford is a century old company with a world wide presence. They have local statistics and vendors all over the globe for ages. I'll be surprised if Ford miscalculated on the Rupee value at such short term as June To September. These are companies that enter markets with long term strategies running into decades. They have the data for projections and highly paid brains to analyse those.

Here Ford pricing was to shock and grab the market. Make an entry with a bang, which they successfully did.

They brought in foot fall into their showroom like no one else. Got truck load of funds the bank will pay them interest on. Now cancellation charges, easy money. And of course free publicity that came online, through press and word of mouth.
Imagine the money they had to spend on advertisements to get a similar outcome.

Now that it's all over, a few cancellations wouldn't matter. Even if 10% population cancels the booking it doesn't make a dent as they have more deliveries to do then their production capacity.

Moreover if the price was already 50k higher some of this booking would have never happened. But then they wouldn't have got the kind of foot fall and free publicity.
Old 8th September 2013, 10:52   #3861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Now cancellation charges, easy money.
I need to (again) point out that Ford India doesn't specify any cancellation charges. Cancellation charges are specified by the dealer, and earned by the dealer.
Old 8th September 2013, 11:08   #3862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Ford is a century old company with a world wide presence. They have local statistics and vendors all over the globe for ages. I'll be surprised if Ford miscalculated on the Rupee value at such short term as June To September. These are companies that enter markets with long term strategies running into decades. They have the data for projections and highly paid brains to analyse those.
When the Finance Minister couldn't project this, you expect an automobile company like Ford to foresee the economies of future, especially that of India?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 11:22   #3863
Senior - BHPian

Yeah true, fluctuations in currency are accounted for but to a certain % and are absorbed by the manufacturer. Beyond the provisions they have to pass it on. No one can predict a steep fall in a currency. Dollar vs euro is still 1.3, it is Indian currency that has declined. As my professional work, I am involved in long term maintenance contracts of Big engines, even we have provision for currency fluctuation.
Old 8th September 2013, 11:33   #3864
BHPian

My msg to Ford President's office in response to their reply to my letter of anguish.

Thank you for your reply. The issue is not just with me for you to solve, but in general for a lot of Ford Enthusiasts.
I agree that companies increase product prices and customers have to pay from that day - just as customers pay new prices if the price is lowered.

The difference in the case of Ecosport is that Ford directly announced the concept of pre-booking before the actual launch and when dealers promised delivery for such customers within 90 days, Ford gave its tacit approval thru twitter, facebook , media etc.
If Ford decided to have the launch price for X number of vehicles only , then your team should have monitored the booking from dealers and announced a price hike from a date thereafter for customers who book from that date onwards and it would have been a win win for you and your customers - you sell at launch price for X cars only and all those who booked until then would get the benefit. But you chose to wait until you had large number of orders, much beyond your capacity and decided to jack up prices -- "We don't care if a few cancel". Sure you don't care, but remember this is 2013, the age of digital media and I'm sure you are monitoring it.
Please understand those who booked so far are going to be the only buyers for the car. In a matter of days the order flow will stop. New cars will come at these prices, with better history and Indian-consumer-desired parameters.

It feels unfair that customers who booked in June in city A are made to pay more while a customer in city B who booked in July got the car at a lower price because Ford did not know how to manage the bookings.

Hope Ford learns at least this time. The Fiesta bombed and everyone thought Ford had learned.

There is no reason to pass this on to your dealer because he can't do anything anyway. I don't want to be called by someone to express their 'thanks for reposing faith in Ford, you know costs... rupee, etc etc etc, hope you understand... "
Srinivas C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 11:38   #3865
BHPian

I just called Harpreet ford, Moti Nagar and was told that my SA has gone on a leave for a couple of months!

I talked to her team leader and he says that my Ecosport will take 6 months as quoted initially. According to him, May-booked deliveries are currently underway, and then it'll be June and then July. I had booked mine on 7 July.

( Also. The titanium diesel (o) now costs 11.05 lakhs on road, Delhi. )

This is completely insane. My SA kept telling me that i should get me Ecosport by mid-October at max.

Quite irritated at the moment.

Lack of options is the only reason I'm sticking to my booking as of now. But, to be honest, if i had options, i would have cancelled the booking right away.

I absolutely love the Ecosport and even convinced my parents to not book the Duster in February this year, and wait for the Ecosport. But whatever is happening at the moment, is getting me really irritated.

My parents are just waiting for my nod, and they are ready to cancel this and get the vento/rapid, as my dad loves both these cars.

I don't want to decide in a jiffy and regret it later. Still, staying irritated till the car is delivered is not what i want either.

Any suggestions on further course of action?
Old 8th September 2013, 13:19   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I don't want to decide in a jiffy and regret it later. Still, staying irritated till the car is delivered is not what i want either.

If you love the Ecosport stick with it,no point in getting a sedan which you may not like. The hike is about 40k, which to many of us is quite manageable, what is upsetting is the unethical practices by Ford and its dealers.

IF you have to re-consider your decision,list down your priorities and draw up a comparison chart to help clear the confusion. You can list down some of the USP's of Ecosport and see if its something which is absolutely essential or you can compromise,something like this:

Additional GC- Essential
Feature-laden-Can compromise
Safety-Essential
Fresh design/Looks-Can compromise
Unknown delivery timeline-Headache!
VFM,Comfort,Power,handling etc

Whether Ford or Maruti all SA's mostly lie, so never believe them
Hope it helps!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 8th September 2013 at 13:21.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 13:44   #3867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

If you love the Ecosport stick with it,no point in getting a sedan which you may not like. The hike is about 40k, which to many of us is quite manageable, what is upsetting is the unethical practices by Ford and its dealers.
EXACTLY! A hike of 50K on road is manageable, but the attitude the dealers are displaying isn't. I'm the one who is paying 11 lakhs for a car, so I expect better treatment!

Ford dealers have forgotten what humbleness is, and only a couple of more launches in the compact SUV space can make them realise this!

If I was Maruti (or Hyundai) and my product was near completion (road test stage), I would make most of this opportunity and start releasing teasers of the upcoming model.

It would give people like us some hope that if Ford doesn't do something about it's dealers, we have better options coming our way! Also, it might also help in keeping dealers up on their heels, considering the upcoming competition!
Old 8th September 2013, 14:26   #3868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
Quite irritated at the moment.

Lack of options is the only reason I'm sticking to my booking as of now. But, to be honest, if i had options, i would have cancelled the booking right away.

My parents are just waiting for my nod, and they are ready to cancel this and get the vento/rapid, as my dad loves both these cars.

Now if you were in Bangalore, I'd say stick with the EcoSport. But in a place like New Delhi, a Rapid / Vento would work just fine. That is, if you're open to other options.

The EcoSport is a great car, don't get me wrong. I particularly like the Sync feature in the car. But if you're unhappy about the price hike and the way the dealers are treating you, do look elsewhere. (Not that VAG and Renault-Nissan are in the clear if I'm honest)
Old 8th September 2013, 14:29   #3869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Now if you were in Bangalore, I'd say stick with the EcoSport. But in a place like New Delhi, a Rapid / Vento would work just fine. That is, if you're open to other options.
Any reason why you say so ?
Old 8th September 2013, 15:03   #3870
Team-BHP Support

I believe Suhaas says so because of the famed potholed rich & cratered condition of Bangalore's road which we hear often on the forums.

Delhi, in general has very good roads, hence a sedan can be considered. But someone staying in Delhi would like to visit hills & here additional GC will have its say
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks