Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 00:41   #5326
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
If they're willing to spare me the Reverse Cam for even 15k, I'm going ahead with it but if they still are adamant at 25k, shouldn't I've an Entry Level DSLR mounted on the back at that price?
Man! I wish the same many times. How cool would that be

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Let them make hay, they only have a season of few more months and then, Auto Expo will give a clear picture of the Segment.
Amen to this. Eagerly waiting for some sense to settle into the minds of Ford & dealers
anks_at is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 02:50   #5327
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Just back from a 2,400kms trip from Bombay to Baroda to Alang to Diu to Girl to Somnath to Porbander to Dwarka to Jhamnagar to Baroda to Bombay.

Variant - Ecosport AT
Load - Max 4 Adults plus one kid with luggage for 8 days including stuff on the carrier in the last leg.
Duration - 7 Days 2400kms
Max kms in one day - 850 kms
Driving style - Very hard. Very hard at times.
Average fuel efficiency -11.1 kmpl for petrol worth roughly - Rs. 16.5k. AC always on at 22.5 degrees.

Notes:
Vehicle did not feel sapped of power even though fully loaded
Someone else who drives moderately would easily have got 13kmpl.
No back pain on this trip though I have a history of back pain with Aria, Safari and Laura while driving.
Extreme Vision Lights are a good improvement and adequate though of course can be even better with other solutions.
Vehicle hits certain roads imperfections with a jarring thud and sails over certain others comfortably.
Stock wipers are poor quality.
Type pressure 35 front 38 rear as recommended in the manual for full load.
Vehicle has opened up and power is great. Gearbox too is smoother.
Wheel cover and speedo console rattle a slight bit at times. No other rattles.
Vehicle beyond 6500 kms now.

Last edited by ACM : 4th November 2013 at 02:51.
ACM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 10:07   #5328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Vehicle hits certain roads imperfections with a jarring thud and sails over certain others comfortably.
Stock wipers are poor quality.
Well written report, few things

1.Thud is due to suspension bottoming out, can be avoided by installing rubber doughnuts/buffers at the bottom of spring (so that it will come into action only during bottoming out)
2.both sparco and hella wiper upgrades are very good, you can pick your style
3.can you post some pictures of your car with the carrier on ?,

4. Do you fit the carrier whenever needed or it is always there?
5.FE .11.5 at what rpm in an AT, can you elaborate FE at various rpms

6.FE in my diesel with luggage for 20 days and 2 people on board, total km covered 3000
@2000rpm-20kmpl
@2500rpm-16kmpl
@3000rpm-13 to14kmpl
@3500rpm-11kmpl
Old 4th November 2013, 10:40   #5329
BHPian

Has someone come across something like this in india?? Found this on aliexpress.com for USD 241 including shipment. Will this cause any problem to the vehicle in case of airbag deployment??
Attached Images

nash13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 12:17   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash13 View Post
Has someone come across something like this in india?? Found this on aliexpress.com for USD 241 including shipment. Will this cause any problem to the vehicle in case of airbag deployment??
Hi nash13,
It should theoretically interfere with airbag deployment.
If the material is totally made of fibre or plastic it may not interfere, metal parts surely will effect airbag deployment.
Are these different kind of appliques or crash guards?
Old 4th November 2013, 13:12   #5331
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks as if it may be more decorative than anything else, however it still presents a sharper edge in contact with pedestrian legs.

Even though I quite like the appearance of this one, I still say, do not alter the profile of the car in this way, but leave it as the designers have intended. Everything from accident impact, through pedestrian safety, to aerodynamics will have been considered in the original design.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 13:31   #5332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkumar View Post
Hello fellow Bhpians,
Finally the D day has arrived I got a call from Gm Cauvery Ford Bangalore telling that my car had arrived after continuous follow-up it took four months for the Beauty to arrive. I was delighted to see Goodyear tires on the vehicle it was such a relaxed feeling. She had done 37 kms on the ODO. I had initially booked Mars red and had given the option of white due to unavailability of mars red i decided to settle for White.
I must thank Vid, Gto for the Fantastic review and all the Ecosport owners for their valuable advice and suggestions
now its time decide what to do next
I am interested in taking Insurance from outside
I have shortlisted following accessories along with Essential Pack
1). Cross Bars
2). Door Scuff Plate (non-illuminated)
3). Sporty Pedals
4). Cavity protection

Planning to get Under Chassis coating from 3M car care
Please share your views and do suggest if something better is available in the market.
Dear Anil Kumar, Can you let me know what Item # 4 Cavity protection refers to. Is it the same as the Engine Protector.
Old 4th November 2013, 14:04   #5333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royfernandez View Post
Dear Anil Kumar, Can you let me know what Item # 4 Cavity protection refers to. Is it the same as the Engine Protector.
hey Roy,
Cavity protection means they spray some chemical along with a paste which prevents rusting at welding joints when water seeps through. The dealer has told it takes 3-4hrs to get the job done.
anilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 16:24   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It looks as if it may be more decorative than anything else, however it still presents a sharper edge in contact with pedestrian legs.

Even though I quite like the appearance of this one, I still say, do not alter the profile of the car in this way, but leave it as the designers have intended. Everything from accident impact, through pedestrian safety, to aerodynamics will have been considered in the original design.
Here's the detail of the material.. it looks more like an applique than a bumper.. it definitely gives it a more macho look..
Attached Images

Old 4th November 2013, 16:29   #5335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cavity protection
A lot of rust damage to cars happens in places like the bottom of doors. Water gets in, from rain, washing, etc, and blocked drain holes would mean it can't get out again. By the time you see the rust appearing from underneath the paint, you already have not only rust, but pretty much a rust hole.
Old 4th November 2013, 16:39   #5336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A lot of rust damage to cars happens in places like the bottom of doors. Water gets in, from rain, washing, etc, and blocked drain holes would mean it can't get out again. By the time you see the rust appearing from underneath the paint, you already have not only rust, but pretty much a rust hole.
Does 3M offer the cavity protection treatment? I've already done the underbody coating and paint protection treatment.. but didnt know anything about this cavity protection. I think its a good idea to get this done for the long term benefits it offers.
Old 4th November 2013, 17:19   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Shocked to read that ABS malfunction in a brand new Ecosport leading to a potentially fatal situtation in this drive by Overdrive from Mumbai to Kolkata. I was not expecting this -

http://overdrive.in/reviews/mumbai-t...ampaign=Buffer

An excerpt from the report -
"... So I get on the throttle to make my overtake. But just as I am about to draw parallel to it, the truck swerves right. I brake hard and the front left wheel locks up. This isn’t supposed to happen. This car has ABS.As the truck tucks back into its lane, I ease off the brakes, but nothing. The left front is still locked and the car continues to be on the brakes as if I am standing on the brake pedal. Now, I am completely off the brakes, but again nothing changes. I am now heading towards the high divider. With the front left tyre sliding on its own molten rubber, I have no steering; just a huge cloud of white smoke, the smell of burnt rubber and a prayer — I don’t want the trip to end so soon, and especially not like this… "

The car was replaced at Nagpur dealer after the fault could not be detected. For more info, see the above link.

Last edited by adimicra : 4th November 2013 at 17:22.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 17:58   #5338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Shocked to read that ABS malfunction in a brand new Ecosport leading to a potentially fatal situtation in this drive by Overdrive from Mumbai to Kolkata. I was not expecting this -

http://overdrive.in/reviews/mumbai-t...ampaign=Buffer

An excerpt from the report -
"... So I get on the throttle to make my overtake. But just as I am about to draw parallel to it, the truck swerves right. I brake hard and the front left wheel locks up. This isn’t supposed to happen. This car has ABS.As the truck tucks back into its lane, I ease off the brakes, but nothing. The left front is still locked and the car continues to be on the brakes as if I am standing on the brake pedal. Now, I am completely off the brakes, but again nothing changes. I am now heading towards the high divider. With the front left tyre sliding on its own molten rubber, I have no steering; just a huge cloud of white smoke, the smell of burnt rubber and a prayer — I don’t want the trip to end so soon, and especially not like this… "

The car was replaced at Nagpur dealer after the fault could not be detected. For more info, see the above link.

Thats really unlucky,must be some major manufacturing defect.Thank god nothing happened to the driver and the car was replaced.

I Had atleast half a dozen instances on the highway where the ABS came to my rescue.
Worked like a charm

I wished the titanium optional had EBD too.

The following picture is the final verdict of overdrive
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131104181009.png  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 4th November 2013 at 18:12.
Old 4th November 2013, 19:37   #5339
BHPian

I took my EcoSport 1.5D on its first long drive. The roads included smooth 4 laned roads and a 2laned highway which had some horrible stretches.
Kept the max speed to around 105-110kmph and the engine was doing just over 2000rpm. The road & engine noise starts to increase over 100kmph, but its much better than most cars under 10L. MID showed around 17kmpl for the whole trip (700kms) with full time AC.
On bad stretches I was really happy that the underbody never scraped while others on the road were having a tough time except for the KSRTC buses and the empty tipper lorries.
Only one issue caused some concern during the initial kms of the trip. I was stuck in heavy traffic (exiting Bangalore) for around 45mins and then got free and accelerated to the next toll booth that was crowded. During this time, the stationary car started pitching around and shaking. Since I am used to the Figo's AC, and hence felt it was the AC kicking On & Off, so I shut it off, but it still continued to shake. Once I got rolling, it disappeared and couldn't repeat the same at any other time when the car was stationary.
Overall felt really happy with the car, its handling, ride, comfort for the rear passengers, pickup, brakes & storage spaces. The headlights and horn are areas which needs improvements.
Old 4th November 2013, 23:02   #5340
Team-BHP Support

That overdrive incident is scary and really shocking.

Wondering what could have gone wrong and more importantly Ford should be looking at this very very closely and coming back with an explanation or fix for all batches that have this issue.

ABS failing and locking brakes loses all confidence in the safety features. ABS is something which you trust blindly if your car has it.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks