Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 17:50   #11476
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford Ecosport Engine Seized- Always heed the Check Engine Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
Despite -------SNIP------ectors.
The figures are about right, in fact quite low.
As for the cause, you did not identify it for 2 days even after the car told you to. Basically, you have thrown a lollipop over to ford. Its going to be a big hit for sure.
I am surprised, though. A CEL is the absolute mother-of-all-scares for petrolheads. Why did you keep going? When it had come on, THAT was when you should have gone to the A$$.
There is nothing you can do now other than to dish out whatever ford demands.
Keep us updated as to what they are replacing.
Old 19th September 2017, 18:21   #11477
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with what everyone has to say here, and that due to just one servicing from an outside workshop this issue has become a big one. Yes, it is my fault, but I don't think that after only 2 days the engine could seize.
Man, two days driving without lubrication is a long time in engines life for it to seize. In fact it can seize in a matter of minutes if there is total lubrication failure.

I also get my Ford car serviced outside but then I remain present while the work is being carried out and all the parts are supplied by me so I am sure of their authenticity.

Regarding costs, I doubt members would be able to help you with precise number. Cost of rebuilt engines vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think you need to keep negotiating with A.S.S. try to get lowest possible number.

Last edited by shipnil : 19th September 2017 at 18:24.
Old 19th September 2017, 18:50   #11478
BHPian

As an aside, shouldn't the thread's title be updated to reflect the fact that it wasn't the car itself that was at fault? Anytime glancing over the thread titles might leave with the impression that the EcoSport is an unreliable car.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem @TkyoPandaMan. A ₹1.4 lac repair bill is a terrible thing to stomach. I'll definitely be more careful about keeping track of the check engine light on my own car after reading this thread.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 19:24   #11479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After speaking to my Service Adviser at the Ford Workshop, he said that he has spoken to Ford India and will come back to me with a solution wherein he can help me save some costs
Whatever has happened cannot be undone and will be a reminder for other members/ visitors here not to take risks with such faults. Check Engine light can be due to a variety of reasons, mine Endeavour's check light came within 2 Km after taking delivery, a sensor was changed. It does not mean that you stop the car and call for a tow truck but nevertheless very important to get it inspected with dealership ASAP. Perhaps making a call with your SA can also help. Also, try to check some basic visual things like any coolant/oil leakage.

Please ask FORD to do a root cause analysis on this failure, whatever they are replacing now are subsequent faults. Save the oil from the engine and get it independently checked. Oil Filter or other parts that you replaced at FNG must be checked for genuineness, irrespective of your faith, I always see open market purchase with suspicion, there are simply too many fakes.

FORD is doing correctly by offering you some rebate, better try to negotiate a lump-sum offer instead of article vise settlement if possible.
Old 19th September 2017, 22:18   #11480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with what everyone has to say here, and that due to just one servicing from an outside workshop this issue has become a big one. Yes, it is my fault, but I don't think that after only 2 days the engine could seize. Sure there could be issues cropping up, but seems like I have a lot to learn maintaining a car.

Some more information about the costing now.
After speaking to my Service Adviser at the Ford Workshop, he said that he has spoken to Ford India and will come back to me with a solution wherein he can help me save some costs (in the form of discounting I believe), as I had mentioned before, the total expense is coming to Rs. 1.45L.

Not to sound too harsh but this is entirely your fault, I see no reason to blame or bash ford here.
a)Car was given to an unauthorized service station.
b)Check engine light soon after service
c)You ignore the check engine light and continue driving the car.
Car Brakes down-

As Sheldon Says- >

Quote:
Typically that's an indicator to, you know, check your engine.
Could you help us with the following?
1) Were you around the garage to check what all service was done ?
2) Was the check engine light continuously on during the 2 days post service?
3) How many KM has the car done?
4) Sometimes small garages can overfill the oil causing serve engine damage. (Happened to someone we know engine was filled with 5L of oil when actual capacity was just 3.3L) He too has a check engine light for about a month and finally his engine collapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Sorry mate. You should not have just ignored a warning lamp and kept using the car for two days.

Your best bet would be to get it done under extended warranty in case you had subscribed for. Otherwise it is going to be a costly affair.
Not to play devils advocate here but the car was serviced at an non Authorized service station, even if he had extended warranty it wouldn't help.
As Much as I hate Ford ASS I cant blame them here. The problem started post service at the local shop and the owner ignored the check engine light.
Old 19th September 2017, 23:39   #11481
Senior - BHPian

One possibility :

Did you monitor how many ltrs of engine oil was put into the car?

Could this be a case of Overfilling the Engine Oil?

Google says:

Dangers of Overfilling

While it may not seem like a big deal to overfill the oil in your car, it can cause major malfunctions and potentially cost you thousands of dollars. When too much engine oil fills the crankshaft in your car, the oil becomes aerated and is whipped into foam. This is caused by the high rotation of the crankshaft. Foamy oil cannot lubricate your car well, and in many cases it will cause oil flow to halt completely, overheating your oil and causing loss of oil pressure. The engine then becomes starved for lubrication and may potentially lock up.
Old 20th September 2017, 07:41   #11482
BHPian

I did my first long trip on my ecosport auto Bangalore to Pondicherry and back. It was an absolute pleasure to ride. The suspension that I find a little too stiff for the speed breakers in Bangalore came on to its own on the few broken roads. The composure on the 4 lane highway was outstanding. I was easily doing 100-120 speeds on average.

On the return, my friend and I were in deep conversation and as a result I drove sedately. Or at least I thought, it turned out that I had come door to door in about 5 hours of driving time. The sheer lack of fatigue was a surprise to me, even on my Fiesta which was quite comfortable, I would feel it after a longer drive. Overall, I was very satisfied with the experience.

I got a mileage of 13-14 for the whole trip.

The only -vest would be the lack of luggage space and in situations requiring rapid overtaking, the auto box leaves something to be desired.
jaganm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 09:33   #11483
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport Engine Seized- Always heed the Check Engine Light!

Quote:
After this service, I started getting a yellow warning light on the display. After 2 days of seeing this light, this issue took place (the car stalling etc.) And that is when I took my car to the Ford workshop.
Boss, sorry if I sound rude, but, a car is a machine and the operator (driver) should be aware of how it should be operated. That is exactly why an Owners Manual is given to you. To READ, and to consult in any out of normal events. Its so strange to see a tbhp'n mention the light as "some yellow warning light" and not bothering to check what it is, and continuing to drive (operate the machinery).

I'm seeing more and more of this everyday. A driver is someone who operates the car, and needs to take care of the health of the car as well. Not saying he needs to get his hands dirty, but, it is imperative to know when to stop.
Quote:
Despite having sent the car to a non-Ford workshop, for the routine checks I did have the essentials checked, like the oil, coolant, filters, etc. During this part, I also noticed that the guy who was servicing my car showed me that the filters were all choked and backed up. These are original Ford filters and apparently, have not being changed since the car was bought. I guess that its life maybe only 2-3 years.
If the service centre indeed did this, its really bad. You need to show them that.

On the flipside, its the basic nature of all mechanics to blame the other guys work. So, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
Quote:

Some more information about the costing now.
After speaking to my Service Adviser at the Ford Workshop, he said that he has spoken to Ford India and will come back to me with a solution wherein he can help me save some costs (in the form of discounting I believe), as I had mentioned before, the total expense is coming to Rs. 1.45L.
Coming to your problem, please post some close up photos of connecting rod bearings, sleeve etc..

If its indeed an engine issue, get it done from Ford and get peace of mind of original parts and a warranty for ~6 months.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 10:34   #11484
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport Engine Seized- Always heed the Check Engine Light!

You are really in a tough spot here.

The cost of replacing the entire engine (that too a modern diesel) will run into 2+ Lakhs or more, depending on what you are replacing (Half Engine or Full).

Ford will not offer you any goodwill/warranty as you did two very very serious mistakes:
1. Serviced the car in non-authorized showroom within warranty period.
2. Drove the vehicle for 2 days with Fault code displayed.

Ask for a quote for the engine replacement, and then decide whether to repair the vehicle or sell it in as-it-is condition.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:59   #11485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Man, two days driving without lubrication is a long time in engines life for it to seize. In fact it can seize in a matter of minutes if there is total lubrication failure.

I also get my Ford car serviced outside but then I remain present while the work is being carried out and all the parts are supplied by me so I am sure of their authenticity.

Regarding costs, I doubt members would be able to help you with precise number. Cost of rebuilt engines vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I think you need to keep negotiating with A.S.S. try to get lowest possible number.
Well from what I know, during the service (from outside) all the levels were fine. Nothing seemed to be filled too much or too little. The materials and brands the service guy uses are original so I don't think authenticity could be an issue.

As for the costs, you are right. Everyone on this forum is correct in stating that all I can do now is to negotiate with the Service Adviser at the Ford workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Whatever has happened cannot be undone and will be a reminder for other members/ visitors here not to take risks with such faults. Check Engine light can be due to a variety of reasons, mine Endeavour's check light came within 2 Km after taking delivery, a sensor was changed. It does not mean that you stop the car and call for a tow truck but nevertheless very important to get it inspected with dealership ASAP. Perhaps making a call with your SA can also help. Also, try to check some basic visual things like any coolant/oil leakage.

Please ask FORD to do a root cause analysis on this failure, whatever they are replacing now are subsequent faults. Save the oil from the engine and get it independently checked. Oil Filter or other parts that you replaced at FNG must be checked for genuineness, irrespective of your faith, I always see open market purchase with suspicion, there are simply too many fakes.

FORD is doing correctly by offering you some rebate, better try to negotiate a lump-sum offer instead of article vise settlement if possible.
Yes, you are correct. This is the first time something like that has happened with me, so I will definitely be more careful in the future.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I will try to work out a good deal for the entire assembly instead of individual parts. The Service Adviser told me that if he were to replace part-by-part, the cost would be double or triple. So he suggested its better to just replace the entire engine assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Boss, sorry if I sound rude, but, a car is a machine and the operator (driver) should be aware of how it should be operated. That is exactly why an Owners Manual is given to you. To READ, and to consult in any out of normal events. Its so strange to see a tbhp'n mention the light as "some yellow warning light" and not bothering to check what it is, and continuing to drive (operate the machinery).

I'm seeing more and more of this everyday. A driver is someone who operates the car, and needs to take care of the health of the car as well. Not saying he needs to get his hands dirty, but, it is imperative to know when to stop.

If the service centre indeed did this, its really bad. You need to show them that.

On the flipside, its the basic nature of all mechanics to blame the other guys work. So, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Coming to your problem, please post some close up photos of connecting rod bearings, sleeve etc..

If its indeed an engine issue, get it done from Ford and get peace of mind of original parts and a warranty for ~6 months.
It's ok. I think everyone is saying the same thing but I just need to come to a resolution here and hopefully let the other forum members know as well what I am going through, so that no one else should make this same mistake.

Anyways, I have asked Ford to give me the exact breakup of what all they will replace. Will try and share it as soon as I can.

And I did inquire them for the warranty of the engine. They did indeed mention 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
You are really in a tough spot here.

The cost of replacing the entire engine (that too a modern diesel) will run into 2+ Lakhs or more, depending on what you are replacing (Half Engine or Full).

Ford will not offer you any goodwill/warranty as you did two very very serious mistakes:
1. Serviced the car in non-authorized showroom within warranty period.
2. Drove the vehicle for 2 days with Fault code displayed.

Ask for a quote for the engine replacement, and then decide whether to repair the vehicle or sell it in as-it-is condition.
The engine assembly will be replaced in FULL as I understand. But the exact cost of the engine, I will know in some time.

Plus they are saying that the INJECTORS also need to be replaced. All of them. I'm not too sure about this, but the Service Adviser told me that the injectors are apparently "damaged" of sorts.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th September 2017 at 12:21.
Old 20th September 2017, 14:42   #11486
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
The engine assembly will be replaced in FULL as I understand.
My sympathies to TkyoPandaMan for his ordeal; does a new engine assembly require the owner to register and/or insure the vehicle all over again, considering that the registration & insurance are tied in to the engine number?

Last edited by hemant.kamat : 20th September 2017 at 14:43.
Old 20th September 2017, 15:15   #11487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
My sympathies to TkyoPandaMan for his ordeal; does a new engine assembly require the owner to register and/or insure the vehicle all over again, considering that the registration & insurance are tied in to the engine number?
Thanks Hemant, though it is my fault. Anyways, I checked with the Workshop. It seems that they will replace the engine with the SAME number. So if I bought the car in mid-2014, it still stands as a 2014 manufacturing date. The warranty for all parts replaced (including the engine and injectors) will stand for 6 months.

Now I have to check with Ford regarding the authenticity of the "new" engine and "new" injectors that they will be replacing.
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 12:50   #11488
BHPian

Guys, how is the reversing camera installed in titanium and other consecutive models? My brother in law got the ecosport titanium two months ago with the touchscreen etc and the camera was missing. The dealer promised to install it within a week. As usual, they didn't had the camera in stock till 1.5 months. When my brother in law complained for this, he was promised any accessories worth Rs. 4000/- as compensation and camera asap.

Recently he got the camera installed along with the bumper appliques (offered as compensation) at the dealer, but the camera is sticking out like a finger and also, few inches of wire can be seen. While the display is all right, it might get plucked by some one in this position. Anything can be done to conceal it?

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20170924wa0001.jpg

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 24th September 2017 at 12:52.
Old 24th September 2017, 13:16   #11489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Hemant, though it is my fault. Anyways, I checked with the Workshop. It seems that they will replace the engine with the SAME number. So if I bought the car in mid-2014, it still stands as a 2014 manufacturing date. The warranty for all parts replaced (including the engine and injectors) will stand for 6 months.

Now I have to check with Ford regarding the authenticity of the "new" engine and "new" injectors that they will be replacing.
Sorry I did not understand this part. What do you exactly mean when u say that it will be 2014 manufactured unit? Even though almost everyone made it sound like you did the ultimate wrong by sending your car to a trusted FNG, be aware that Ford after sales itself is no saint or expert and there are multiple threads and incidents documented here for the same. Take everything in writing.

Also regarding your current issue, what is the final diagnosis. What led to the engine failure? Why were the filters choked when opened at the FNG? You say you got regular servicing done at Ford till the car was in warranty and this was the first service done outside. How can the filters be not changed during all these 3 years of servicing at Ford ( you mentioned that they might not have been changed all this while). Lastly did you consult the FNG mechanic who serviced your car? You have mentioned that he has been servicing your cars for quite sometime. What did he do wrong this time. Sometimes it may be a minor issue that can be corrected but being made into a big thing by Ford given the circumstances. From my experience these FNG mechanics take great pride in their workmanship. Atleast ask him for an explanation.
Old 26th September 2017, 14:01   #11490
Team-BHP Support

Considering the events of this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4276267

where thieves took off with all four wheels of multiple cars, I'm curious if Ford would sell the anti-theft nuts separately and what the cost of them is.

We already one out of the four nuts on the spare wheels; can we put one of these anti-theft nuts on each wheel? Feasible?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks