Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 15:41   #1231
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I also checked Tiago XZA which was cheaper by a 1.3L but 3 things which sealed the deal for Grand i10 are
a) Seating comfort - somehow the comfort in Tiago was not up to the mark for 6'2" me. How I wish there was telescopic steering but Grand i10 it was much better
b) Rear Camera - Sensors in Tiago were too primitive for my liking and wife would have botched up in reverse trying to decode those sensors and their graphical modelling
c) Head Nodding - This is typical AMT stuff and while it is fine with me, it would have been very uncomfortable for wife to drive

So, in all, a new car comes home and joins the my Hyundai stable (Verna being the other one).
Absolutely agree with you on the Tiago. Head bobbing was more pronounced in the Tiago and the Gi10 felt comfier and more spacious.

My wife was quite used to our old i10 AT with a torque converter box and it ran like a dream even after 9 years. She decided to stick to what was proven. Come to think of it, we actually ended up replacing a blue i10 sportz AT ~ 2008 with another blue i10 sportz AT ~ 2018

Efficiency was perhaps the only concern and I hope that the 2018 grand i10 is more efficient than our previous gen i10.

The price difference between the Tiago XZA and Gi10 Sportz AT ~ 1.3L had actually come down to ~65k after considering discounts on both sides in our case.

I'd rather have the GT TSI but will have to make do with the Hyundai until next time

Last edited by clementj : 8th May 2018 at 15:44.
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 22:25   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Could you please scan and post the invoice for the service here? 11k sounds BIG.
I am sharing the invoice below.

Total parts amount excluding GST =6407
GST on parts amount =1262
--------------------------------------------------
Total parts amount =7669

Labour amount =3275
GST on LAbor =589.5
-------------------------------------------
Total Labor amount =3864.50

Grand total=7669+3864.5= 11534 Rs
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-service1.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-service2.jpg  

AshiqueS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 00:10   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
They have RIPPED YOU APART !

I do not know if you asked for these but they are not needed most of the times and are push sales:
  • A/c neutralizer - was your a/c smelling or anything?
  • wurth screen wash is a windshield wash additive - so why the windshield washer again?
  • Engine flush - did you ask for this? why? (on second thoughts - may be required while switching from mineral to synthetic)

Following services are INCLUDED in the periodic maintenance service - so they have charged you DOUBLE for these services:
  • Caliper pin greasing
  • Throttle body cleaning
  • brake shoe cleaning - front and rear
  • A/c filter cleaning

Also - why did they change this part (panel assembly, under cover, front) ? Did you scrape or bump the car so as to damage this part?

http://oriparts.com/8/60/138/450828#item_9611972

For comparison - look at my 90k+ 2009 i10 paid service bill from a HASC (this is not a dealer but a small service center authorized by Hyundai).
Everything mentioned in your invoice has been done, except the panel assembly cost, and a couple of essential items like a blown bulb and an inexpensive actuator gasket added.

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-img_20180508_235227_hht.jpg

Last edited by blackasta : 9th May 2018 at 00:18.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 00:50   #1234
BHPian

Quote:

I carefully went through your bill & I did find a lot of useless things in your bill. 11.5k for a normal servicing is too much.

Under the parts section, I found the following things unnecessary:
  • A/C neutralizer - This I believe is something like an AC disinfectant, doesn't improve anything.
  • Carb & Injector cleaner - Injector cleaning is surely not needed for a petrol car that has only done 37k km.
  • Engine Flush - Again an useless thing like the Injector cleaner.
  • Consumables - I have no idea what this is, maybe it includes things like gloves (which the mechanics use), grease etc.
Under the labor section, I found the following things unnecessary:
  • Throttle body cleaning - Not needed for a car that has done under 40k km.
  • Battery output check - Checking the battery health is okay, though not absolutely necessary.
  • Caliper pin greasing - Normally this is only done if you have noisy brakes.
  • Rear Brake Shoe cleaning - Again, brake cleaning is a common scam in many Hyundai dealers (more on this later).
  • Front Brake Pad cleaning - There is a possibility that the brake pad & shoe cleaning labor cost is because of a brake oil change. Still, I believe Hyundai should have a different labor code (hence cost) for a brake oil change.
We have a 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 in our family, last year I took her for servicing as my cousin was not in town. Initially the SA added lots of useless things in the to-do list (quite similar to your bill), I had him remove all of them. The SA was really pushing for brake cleaning, his reason was that before the monsoons arrive the brakes should be cleaned . Finally only engine oil, oil filter & air filter were changed & I also opted out of a car wash (due to rain). The final bill was only around 2.3k, so a Hyundai needn't be expensive to maintain if you go through the estimate properly & delete the unnecessary items.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 9th May 2018 at 01:08.
chiranjitp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 10:41   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
They have RIPPED YOU APART !

I do not know if you asked for these but they are not needed most of the times and are push sales:
  • A/c neutralizer - was your a/c smelling or anything?
  • wurth screen wash is a windshield wash additive - so why the windshield washer again?
  • Engine flush - did you ask for this? why? (on second thoughts - may be required while switching from mineral to synthetic)
A/c neutralizerThere was no issue with the AC.Never mentioned about it in pre service explanation

Engine flush its required as switched from mineral to synthetic

Quote:
Following services are INCLUDED in the periodic maintenance service - so they have charged you DOUBLE for these services:
  • Caliper pin greasing
  • Throttle body cleaning
  • brake shoe cleaning - front and rear
  • A/c filter cleaning
I assume labour charges are high in bangalore
Quote:
Also - why did they change this part (panel assembly, under cover, front) ? Did you scrape or bump the car so as to damage this part?
yes, the under cover panel assembly was loose and hanging though i didnt ask them to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
I carefully went through your bill & I did find a lot of useless things in your bill. 11.5k for a normal servicing is too much.

Under the parts section, I found the following things unnecessary:[list][*]A/C neutralizer - This I believe is something like an AC disinfectant, doesn't improve anything.[*]Carb & Injector cleaner - Injector cleaning is surely not needed for a petrol car that has only done 37k km.
Mine is a diesal car.

Anyways , i learnt lesson that proper estimation needs to be done before giving for service. I never bother to compare the service charges as we do it once in a year
I also own a CRETA SX diesal which is due for 30k service and when i read a post about the service charges in CRETA official thread which is only 7200Rs, i realised that i have been cheated.
Old 9th May 2018, 11:46   #1236
BANNED

Quote:
I don't have anything to say after seeing your bills, other than that how unethical and corrupt our society has become. Where is our society going? Is there no place for simple, honest people in this country. Everybody is looting everybody else in the name of politics, business, education, hospitals, etc. Kalyug it seems is on the peak. When would Kalki take birth?
chaudh2s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 12:06   #1237
BANNED

Quote:
Anyways, I learnt lesson that proper estimation needs to be done before giving for service. I realised that i have been cheated.
A small suggestion to you. Don't sign the job card and handover the car over to the SA till you read each and every word written in that job card by the SA when you go for service.

I make my SA read the job card along with amount that'll be charged for each item used for that service and if I find it okay, I sign, click an image of the job card and give my car keys.

Lots of unnecessary VAS (value added services) like injector cleaning, fuel additives etc are mentioned in the manual which is chargeable to the customer. I don't let them do anything.
Old 9th May 2018, 13:24   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
Come to think of it, we actually ended up replacing a blue i10 sportz AT ~ 2008 with another blue i10 sportz AT ~ 2018

Efficiency was perhaps the only concern and I hope that the 2018 grand i10 is more efficient than our previous gen i10.
Sorry, I did not come back to you earlier.

I too replaced mu 2009 i10 Magna AT with the 2018 Grand i10 Magna AT ; I did move from Champagne gold to Silver dust (Grey) though.

So having driven both , did you notice that the new Grand i10 has much lesser pick up than the old i10. Its almost a pain to overtake others on the highway ; though I wouldn't rate them as bad as the Maruti AMTs.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 14:53   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
So having driven both , did you notice that the new Grand i10 has much lesser pick up than the old i10. Its almost a pain to overtake others on the highway ; though I wouldn't rate them as bad as the Maruti AMTs.
At times, I feel that the engine is running at higher revs for similar speeds but within the city I haven't pushed it much. I'm thinking of driving down to Pondicherry over the weekend. Will update on the driving experience.

When time permits, can you post a picture of the new 5 inch ICE on Magna AT?
Old 9th May 2018, 16:03   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post

When time permits, can you post a picture of the new 5 inch ICE on Magna AT?
The grand i10 is in Kerala at my parent's place. I use it only when I'm visiting. So the picture might take a couple of months atleast.
Old 10th May 2018, 00:21   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I did not come back to you earlier.

I too replaced mu 2009 i10 Magna AT with the 2018 Grand i10 Magna AT ; I did move from Champagne gold to Silver dust (Grey) though.

Have you tried disabling the Eco Mode (on by default)?
Old 10th May 2018, 07:09   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Have you tried disabling the Eco Mode (on by default)?
Is there a disable button? My understanding was that the Eco mode was just another gimmick like they have it on the Verna ; the Eco light comes on when you drive at a steady speed.

Highway overtaking woes aside, I got phenomenal FE on my Grand i10. On a tank full I had driven 480 odd kms (half on Thrissur - Coimbatore highway) and there was just less than quarter tank remaining. Sadly there is no FE calculator in the MID.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 17:43   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a disable button? My understanding was that the Eco mode was just another gimmick like they have it on the Verna ; the Eco light comes on when you drive at a steady speed.

Highway overtaking woes aside, I got phenomenal FE on my Grand i10. On a tank full I had driven 480 odd kms (half on Thrissur - Coimbatore highway) and there was just less than quarter tank remaining. Sadly there is no FE calculator in the MID.

Yes, you can turn it off/on by cycling through the options presented when you use the steering wheel "Reset" & "Trip" meters
anks_at is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 10:05   #1244
BHPian

I'm looking to buy a second hand grand i10 automatic, seen a few and will be zeroing down on one in the next day or two. All are very low mileage cars, 6k km or less, 2 are from December 2016 (Asta, pre-facelift), one is from May 2016 (Sportz, 2017 facelift model). All are in mint condition.

Now is there anything particular I should be looking at (common failure points etc) for these? I'm swinging towards the 2017 facelift one as it has all the bells and whistles (DRLs, Android Auto etc), but its in a maroon colour which I'm not 100% about, while the other 2 pre-facelift ones are in grey.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers!
Old 12th May 2018, 10:19   #1245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
.... I'm swinging towards the 2017 facelift one as it has all the bells and whistles (DRLs, Android Auto etc), but its in a maroon colour which I'm not 100% about, while the other 2 pre-facelift ones are in grey....
Does the pre-facelift Asta have ABS? If yes, it's a clear choice over the facelifted Sportz which didn't have it at launch, added recently.

The drivetrain is the same on both cars, and low mileage means wear & tear may not be a factor yet. You'll also get a better deal on a year older car. You could always add accessories (ICE, DRLs etc.) later, so prioritise getting the highest default factory spec first.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th May 2018 at 10:32. Reason: Edited point about ABS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks