Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2017, 21:38   #2416
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi guys,

I need a confirmation, it seems the blue illumination for the orvm adjustment switches the one to open/close the mirrors as well as the joystick like thing to adjust the mirror is not working I just noticed it while going for a ride. Not sure if it is illuminated or not by default. It definitely feels odd the other than mirror adjustment everything else in my car has a blue illumination.

Thanks
Nitin
Old 26th December 2017, 13:14   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
First, please have an alignment and balancing done at a reputable place like Madhu's Enterprises - remember AS* wheel alignment is often not very correct since their machines are rarely calibrated and also are usually quite old (I know for a fact that Madhu's often sell their older machines to AS* because you can see Madhu's logo on a couple of AS* alignment and balancing machines).

Once this is done, verify that car does not pull to either side and there is no wobbling.

Next - ask your Hyundai AS* to do a steering calibration test -this is available on the Hyundai GDS software testing the same through the OBD port.

If these are fine, there could have been some damage on the steering rack which you will need to ask the AS* folk to do further diagnosis on.

I do my service at Trident Adugodi - there is a reasonably good SA Chetan who can help you. You can ask for the mechanic Prasanna or Terran (not sure if this is exactly his name). Both are very good.

PM me if you would like Chetan's number.

Hope you are able to resolve the problem.
I followed your advice to the T, and my issue has been resolved. The wheel alignment was completely off, after getting it checked in Madhu's it was almost fine. Then took it to the Indiranagar service center, where they fixed it for free of cost.
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 17:03   #2418
BHPian

Glad your problem is now resolved. By the way, why didn't you complete the alignment at Madhu's? What was the further reason for bringing it to the Indiranagar service center? Was that for the steering calibration or something else?

Am just surprised that you were not able to complete the alignment fully at Madhu's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nits83 View Post
Hi guys,

I need a confirmation, it seems the blue illumination for the orvm adjustment switches the one to open/close the mirrors as well as the joystick like thing to adjust the mirror is not working I just noticed it while going for a ride. Not sure if it is illuminated or not by default. It definitely feels odd the other than mirror adjustment everything else in my car has a blue illumination.

Thanks
Nitin
You are correct. The ORVM adjustment with the joystick is not illuminated. I just checked on my Elite i20 Asta. Only the window switches have the blue illumination.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd January 2018 at 14:13.
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:09   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Glad your problem is now resolved. By the way, why didn't you complete the alignment at Madhu's? What was the further reason for bringing it to the Indiranagar service center? Was that for the steering calibration or something else?
The steering was little off balance even after complete alignment in Madhu's. The service person advised me that I get it checked from service center itself. Steering calibration was completed in the service center.
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:44   #2420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Unfortunately, the SA is gonna dish out the same advice given here. I face the same issues and this is what I do and it gets clean for the most part.
Apologies for the delay in response. I had my second service done few days back and the SA informed that the defogging vents and the cabin air filter (clogged due to dust) had to be cleaned as they weren't functioning properly. I have to wait till rainy seasons to test this defogger. The cabin cooling (it was reduced) is now back to normal and even at 24 degrees the cabin feels cooler. Hoping the defogging issue is resolved.

Thanks for the advice!
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:37   #2421
BHPian

A car crashed into the rear of my car (Elite i20) at low speed. All seems fine except the rear bumper got damaged near the exhaust pipe (Rear Right Side). Damage is not visible on the outside, but some pieces of plastic fall out when I tried looking for damage inside, while all the mounts near the tail light looks intact and the grip is fine. The bumper is getting pushed and pulled near the exhaust pipe, There is no rattling sound while driving though.

Please suggest me to do the rightful now.
Can I keep using the car for a few more months this way, If yes, will it do some more damage to the car?
What losses and problem we are facing here? Can we get the bumper repaired or it needs to be replaced?
Attaching the pictures of the plastic part which fall out. (Apologies for bad pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-b.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-c.jpg  

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-d.jpg  

Old 9th January 2018, 18:52   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_Kapoor4750 View Post

Please suggest me to do the rightful now.
Can I keep using the car for a few more months this way, If yes, will it do some more damage to the car?
What losses and problem we are facing here? Can we get the bumper repaired or it needs to be replaced?
Attaching the pictures of the plastic part which fall out. (Apologies for bad pictures)
Amit,

The pictures look more likely to be mud flaps. and not the actual part of bumper. If it so have the mug flaps replaced. I don't think it will have any adverse effect on the performance of the car. Also if you want to repair the entire bumper at any garage, they will charge you for complete paint work of bumper.
Old 11th January 2018, 08:10   #2423
BHPian

Why don't you have the car lifted and checked at an FNG or at a trusted Hyundai AS*? That way you will have peace of mind if something needs to be replaced. Also check whether the rear parking sensors are damaged due to the hit (you may still have the rear parking warning functionality, but one or more of the sensors may not be working).

Also, there are couple of clips attaching the rear bumper to the body shell - check if these have come out - if they are, re-attach them because having them unattached will have a risk of the bumper being detached at high speed.
Old 11th January 2018, 11:47   #2424
BHPian

My apologies first, if this point has been raised earlier in the thread. Seeing the popularity of the car, it's already page 162 and I find it difficult to go through each and every page.

Did any one of the owner realized that the retractable flap inside the fuel cap is not present in Elite i20

I was first surprised to know this, since my 2009 i10 had it.
I confirmed at service center also and the guys there seemed to be surprised at first. But on inspecting newly arrived cars also, the flap was not found in any i20.

This is very risky for the engine because the habit of of the fuel station dispenser attendant is - first to open the fuel cap, place it on the fuel lid and then go to the dispenser, set the amount and lastly insert the hose pipe into the car.
And for all this while, it keeps the fuel mouth wide open for dirt to enter into the fuel tank and then to propagate to the engine.

This is really pathetic cost cutting from Hyundai. They seem to have started to count pennies to extract from cars they advertise as premium.

Grateful if you could arrange to inspect your car and let me know.

Last edited by anu007 : 11th January 2018 at 12:04. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 11th January 2018, 12:03   #2425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post

Please inspect your car and let me know.
Yes, my 2017 i20 diesel doesn't have that flap either. But none of my previous cars had that flap and they seemed fine during all the years and kilometres I used them. Never had a problem that was directly related to the missing flap. In my humble opinion, I don't think it's a problem, really.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 12:19   #2426
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, my 2017 i20 diesel doesn't have that flap either. But none of my previous cars had that flap and they seemed fine during all the years and kilometres I used them. Never had a problem that was directly related to the missing flap. In my humble opinion, I don't think it's a problem, really.
But in my view, it is a problem because the fuel tank mouth, 2 inches wide at least, remains wide open for more than 30 seconds every time we go for re-fueling. And most of us definitely go to petrol pump at least 30 times a year. And condition of most of the petrol pumps in India is very well known well seen, full of dirt, and we are far far behind in terms of the desired neat and cleanliness in our country.
So will anyone agree to keep the fuel mouth open for 15 minutes, even on dirt-free condition?

In my humble opinion, it will definitely make the fuel tank dirty.
And is the fuel filter 100% safe to disallow dirt from the fuel tank to the engine?
If not, then once dirt enters the engine, definitely there will be damage which might be very costly to repair.

Many car may not have the flap, but not for nothing the other cars are given the flap. Are the fuel filter of inferior quality in these cars having the fuel cap flap?
What do you say?
anu007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 13:52   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
condition of most of the petrol pumps in India is very well known well seen, full of dirt, and we are far far behind in terms of the desired neat and cleanliness in our country.
So will anyone agree to keep the fuel mouth open for 15 minutes, even on dirt-free condition?
And is the fuel filter 100% safe to disallow dirt from the fuel tank to the engine?
Many car may not have the flap, but not for nothing the other cars are given the flap. Are the fuel filter of inferior quality in these cars having the fuel cap flap?
What do you say?
Easy.. easy..
I see that you are really worried on the fuel tank flap (or the absence of it). I am not trying to prove anything, but just that you are so irritated at Hyundai not/stopped providing the fuel tank flap, I want to say that even the flap might not be fool proof in avoiding the dust from entering the fuel tank. What if the hinges (or the edges) on the flap accumulate dust? They mix with the few drops of fuel while refilling and become wet. They gradually turn out to become the dirt tough to clean completely (the edges of the flap are never that easy to reach for cleaning). Inevitably, some of the dust gathered on the flap end up inside the fuel tank.

It is not just the fuel tank flaps but there are a lot more areas where the car manufacturers are trying to cut costs.
1. Spare wheel is of different size
2. ABS/airbag present only in the higher variants. This is slowly being changed as many cars have started coming with ABS/airbag equipped on all variants.
3. Auto door locks only on higher variants. Hyundai places the central locking button in the centre of the dashboard which is awkward to operate every time you start the car. And only Asta gets speed sensing door locks.
4. Telescopic steering adjustment only in the higher variants.
5. No engine/sump guard to protect the oil sump from getting scrapped on speed breakers and potholes.
and the list can go on.

What I am trying to say is, manufacturers are trying to cut corners in multiple areas like engine protection/longevity, occupants safety, etc.
They increase the price every year, but strip out some features from the lower variants. Yet they are called premium cars. The learnings are going quite the opposite direction.
Before:
-------
Tata Motors used to be the underdog when it comes to the equipment and fit and finish levels.
Maruti used to be lagging behind in terms of features and creature comforts in their cars but incur low service costs.
Ford cars used to be very expensive to maintain.
Hyundai used to build cars with quality materials and have them feature loaded.
Now:
----
Tata cars' quality has improved drastically with the costs still kept under control.
Maruti started providing VFM cars in the premium segment with lots of features (the poor build quality is another topic of course) but the service cost has gone up.
Ford cars are becoming very pocket friendly both in terms of price and maintenance.
Hyundai, though maintaining the quality of materials, have skimped on the features (both safety and creature comforts) on lower variants. Introduction of steel wheels in the new Asta variant is one such move to cut costs. How am I supposed to call the new elite i20 a premium hatchback?

All said, manufacturers are playing the game based on their positive reputation. They try to cash in as much as possible when they are on top. It is very difficult to change their approach when there is so much of demand for their products. All we can do is vent out our frustrations on forums like this.
samcan123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 16:50   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
If not, then once dirt enters the engine, definitely there will be damage which might be very costly to repair.
To be honest. This is no big deal. Do not worry about such trivial issues.

1) The fuel goes through multiple layers of filteration before it enters the engine. All the dust and water, that you are scared of, will be collected by the seperators and filters.

2) If you still worried about this, you should ask your fuel attendant to open the fuel lid in the end. That is set the amount of fuel in pump, take the nozzle near the fuel lid and then you open it for him/her. Close it as soon as he/she takes out the nozzle.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 07:54   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
My apologies first, if this point has been raised earlier in the thread. Seeing the popularity of the car, it's already page 162 and I find it difficult to go through each and every page.

Did any one of the owner realized that the retractable flap inside the fuel cap is not present in Elite i20

I was first surprised to know this, since my 2009 i10 had it.
I confirmed at service center also and the guys there seemed to be surprised at first. But on inspecting newly arrived cars also, the flap was not found in any i20.

This is very risky for the engine because the habit of of the fuel station dispenser attendant is - first to open the fuel cap, place it on the fuel lid and then go to the dispenser, set the amount and lastly insert the hose pipe into the car.
And for all this while, it keeps the fuel mouth wide open for dirt to enter into the fuel tank and then to propagate to the engine.

This is really pathetic cost cutting from Hyundai. They seem to have started to count pennies to extract from cars they advertise as premium.

Grateful if you could arrange to inspect your car and let me know.
Guys - I checked my car - I dont have the flap either. Silly cost cutting from Hyundai.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 10:31   #2430
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to M.V. Guhan for sharing!

Quote:
I noticed that the new Hyundai Elite i20 Asta variant has lost some of its features.

The rear wiper, Diamond cut alloys, smartkey, speed sensing door locks etc. are now exclusive to the Asta(O) variant.

The Asta gets some regular alloys (factory made stylish steel wheels???)

http://m.hyundai.co.in/mobile/detail...?carmodelid=15
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-unnamed.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks