Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2015, 17:29   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Got my XUV W8 15 days back. Thanks to the official review which helped me to take decision.
It has all gadgetry but there is no place to keep the tissue box. Any suggestions? How are others coping with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Passenger side glove box can easily swallow the tissue box. I usually keep it inside that box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
I have a couple of suggestions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
And coming to the tissue box, even I am not able to identify a suitable place, so when I am driving alone or with a single passenger I keep it in the back seat. If the car is occupied completely, then I keep it between the handbrake and arm rest which fits in perfectly there(I use Premier tissues).
Congrats for the new W8! Why not get that eBay - hang on visor type tissue box holder? That could be much easier! I keep the medicated wet wipes in the car and no tissue box. The pouch is much smaller to fit along side manuals in glovebox.

Quote:
I am planning to get a Non slip dashboard mat and put the tissue box there.
I personally hate anything rolling, rattling in the car - be it coins, idol on the dashboard or the tissue box on anti-slip mat. Reminds me of the BMTC bus driver who keeps his cloth wrapped water bottle on the dashboard above steering and behind the windshield - apart from the safety hazard of course
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 17:42   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I personally hate anything rolling, rattling in the car - be it coins, idol on the dashboard or the tissue box on anti-slip mat. Reminds me of the BMTC bus driver who keeps his cloth wrapped water bottle on the dashboard above steering and behind the windshield - apart from the safety hazard of course
Even I don't like it that way and I prefer the dashboard to be clean except for the Ganesha idol. But sometimes you have to compromise right

After seeing your post I am not going to compromise(especially after you said about BMTC bus driver). I remember about the tissue box lying at home which Hyundai used to give after the car is serviced, if I get to that it will solve the purpose and it should fit in the glove box perfectly. Let me go home and find it.
fusionbang is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 17:49   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After seeing your post I am not going to compromise(especially after you said about BMTC bus driver).
I wanted to create a deterrent for you to avoid keeping stuff on dashboard. My mission accomplished
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 20:27   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to create a deterrent for you to avoid keeping stuff on dashboard. My mission accomplished
Even my mission accomplished

Got home and was able to locate the tissue box and placed it in the glove box

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-wp_20151012_19_29_26_pro.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-wp_20151012_20_05_47_pro.jpg
fusionbang is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 21:25   #770

Quote:
But the LEDs don't.
There's a possibility that the driver might forget to switch it off when in a hurry. Mahindra should do something about this.

Quote:
In my car, the pre-facelift XUV W8 even if the parking lights are ON, once I remove the key from ignition it goes OFF. Even if the fog lamps are ON, it switches it OFF.
Why is Mahindra making things worse by trying to make it better! I can't think of anything Mahindra or the vehicle could gain with the removal of such essential features!

Quote:
Why not get that eBay - hang on visor type tissue box holder?
Have you used one of those? I'm planning to buy one. I would appreciate it if you could give a review on its quality and utility.

Note from Support: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th October 2015 at 11:09. Reason: Please refer the note posted above.
Old 12th October 2015, 22:39   #771
BHPian

Quote:
....The pouch is much smaller to fit along side manuals in glovebox......
OT Why do you require to keep the manuals in the glovebox.. It may seem like a stupid question but do you know that in case a vehicle is stolen (God forbid shouldn't happen to anyone ever) the insurance companies reduce a few thousand rupees for the manuals if not produced during processing the claim, moreover the free service coupons also are in the manual so why take a chance, I leave all the manuals at home and have PDFs of all the manuals uploaded to my mail and smartphone for access anywhere.
PS- Also the spare key has to be handed over to insurance companies during total loss/theft claims. I have faced this problem hence thought the members should be aware.

As regards to the placement of tissue box I feel a pack of wet wipes is a better option because
(A) It is small and re sealable.
(B) Wet wipes are refreshing, cleans better and leaves you smelling fresh.
(C) Being of small form factor can be placed at all doors/pockets and they also won't rattle.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 12th October 2015 at 22:49.
RajeVenu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 10:14   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephencherian View Post
Have you used one of those? I'm planning to buy one. I would appreciate it if you could give a review on its quality and utility.
Nope, I haven't used one. I use wet wipes pouch. I just suggested having seen one online may be an alternate option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
OT Why do you require to keep the manuals in the glovebox..
Not too dependent on electronic stuff (XUV had taught me this ), a paper book copy in the car is always must. Phones and tablets can give you touch with with charge levels, suffer hanging etc. But manuals to refer be it in need or otherwise is always good to have in car. By the way you also have manuals/ how to videos in XUV's infotainment to refer if required - but only usage not troubleshooting help!

It's strange that insurance company asking for manuals though. Law asks us to keep all documents in originals in the car, right? So having a photocopy and showing it at the time of claim should suffice. About free service coupons etc, I doubt if the thief would take your car to authorised service station after stealing.

It is my practice to do the following for highway drives -
- Keep original invoice, Insurance copies, PUCs in the car
- Keep User Manuals and guides, service station contact booklet in car
- Keep RC card and License in my wallet
- Keep colour photocopies of each of them in the home.

During city drives, I keep colour photocopies of documents in the car and originals at home
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 10:54   #773
BHPian

Friends,

I am in the market for my next car. I had almost zeroed on Scorpio S10, untill I drove a XUV last week (W10). To be very honest, my budget is 15 lac, now I am totally confused! Need suggestions and directions too!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 14:23   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Friends,

I am in the market for my next car. I had almost zeroed on Scorpio S10, untill I drove a XUV last week (W10). To be very honest, my budget is 15 lac, now I am totally confused! Need suggestions and directions too!
I was facing the same dilemma till about 3 months back. I bought a xuv500 W6 for 14 . Even if you put in another one lac accessorizing it to the gills, you have a much refined vehicle at your disposal with reasonably good enough safety features as well. Now only if having two airbags of w6 compared with 6 of w8/w10 is a deal breaker for you. Rest you will be satisfied for sure!
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 16:11   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Friends,

W10 will be way off budget and you can live without the frills it provides. As storme_on_dway suggests go for W6 and if you can stretch your budget then W8 is the way to go, I have always felt that standard accessories are way better than third party accessories in the long run for the same price and also no issues of fit & finish. Moreover safety features like airbags, ESP, ABS are necessary and you should not feel wanting when required. A Lakh extra today will give you more confidence and peace of mind tomorrow.

PS- I am sure you won't go back to the Scorpio once you have TDed the cheetah.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:45   #776
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sathish Kumar drops the following email:

Quote:
Hi,

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Team-BHP. I was planning on buying an SUV and I was in a dilemma whether to go for XUV500 (heart) or Innova (mind & feedback from others). So I was reading threads in Team-BHP and I got some useful comparison reviews. Then i finally decided to go with my heart. Yes, XUV500 it is.

I booked XUV500 and it is expected to be delivered this Saturday, 18-Oct-2015.

After that I was going through the official review thread of XUV500 and I got so many useful tips and suggestions there. For instance, I read a post about the car insurance that the showroom dealers provide. They have mentioned that we can save upto 20k if we get quote from outside and ask show quote to the dealer and ask him to reduce the cost to the same amount. You know what, I saved a whooping 18k because of that post. The dealer's initial quote was around 56k and after checking outside I could get a best quote for 38k (bumper to bumper). I wanted to say a BIG THANKS to all BHPians those who contributed and still continue to contribute. Please convey my thanks to them in the 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review thread

Can't wait to drive my beast. Wish me luck..
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 15:49   #777

I have had the silver beast for 3 weeks and 800 Kms and couldn't be happier!

I would like to thank the members of this and other XUV500 related groups for helping make these groups such a valuable resource. A special thanks to SDP, Anshuman, mpksuhas, debuda, J. Ravi and others for maintaining such awesome ownership threads. J. Ravi - Sir, you totally rock!

I have faced some minor niggles to remind me that it is indeed the XUV500 I own . Will post details separately.
mark_iv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 18:19   #778

Some suggestions required
* I am finding the steering wheel of my W8 a little thin for my liking (all my earlier cars had leather covers). Has someone tried putting a leather cover on top of the OEM cover of the W8? Any suggestions for a good vendor in Gurgaon?
* I do like the original Mahindra provided roof carrier but don't like the fact that it's legs and rods are made out of iron ( only the outer frame is aluminium). Since I plan to leave the carrier always on I am concerned about rust. What has your experience been? Any other alternatives which are similarly priced?
* Any suggestions for a vehicle tracker? Apart from their main purpose, I understand these can be used to extract maps of the route taken on trips.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:24   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_iv View Post
Some suggestions required
* I do like the original Mahindra provided roof carrier but don't like the fact that it's legs and rods are made out of iron ( only the outer frame is aluminium). Since I plan to leave the carrier always on I am concerned about rust. What has your experience been? Any other alternatives which are similarly priced?
Have fitted my XUV with an M-TEK roof rack, did one trip to Goa from Bangalore with around 6 bags and had a good experience. Had covered the luggage with tarpaulin, it rained cats and dogs during the journey, tarpaulin saved the bags. Had tied the bags using these bungee cords.

One apprehension I had before going for the roof rack was that it would obstruct the sun roof, but that is not the case, the carrier fits nicely without hampering the sun roof. Have also got this luggage bag but it arrived after the journey, hence did not get a chance to use it.
abhirama is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 13:42   #780

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhirama View Post
Have fitted my XUV with an M-TEK roof rack, did one trip to Goa from Bangalore with around 6 bags and had a good experience. Had covered the luggage with tarpaulin, it rained cats and dogs during the journey, tarpaulin saved the bags. Had tied the bags using these bungee cords.

One apprehension I had before going for the roof rack was that it would obstruct the sun roof, but that is not the case, the carrier fits nicely without hampering the sun roof. Have also got this luggage bag but it arrived after the journey, hence did not get a chance to use it.
Thanks for the suggestions, will check out the carrier and the bungee cords. Did you get a chance to try out the bag?

Most Viewed