Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 18:48   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
A quick question on Infotainment greeting message.

Whenever I switch off or Switch on the infotainment system it greets me by Welcome Kalpana Chawla*** or GoodBye Kalpana Chawla**. Anybody knows how to change this? Do I need to ask the ASC guys to change it?
This can be only changed by connecting the laptop through OBD port at the service center. You can tell the SA when you give it for the first service.

One question though, do you always switch off the infotainment manually before locking the car? Because at-least in my old gen XUV only if I power on the infotainment manually it gives a customized message else it plays the media directly, hope it is the same concept in new age as well.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:09   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I saw it on W10, I think it should be the same with W8 as well. Anybody with W8 can confirm please?

And yes the logo projection light makes sense for this feature
I have a W8 FWD the ORVM don't open even if I unlock using remote until I switch on the ignition but they do fold when I lock the beast using the remote. Although at low ambient light situations when I unlock using the remote the lamps on the ORVM do switch on but the mirrors remain folded.

Quote:

Whenever I switch off or Switch on the infotainment system it greets me by Welcome Kalpana Chawla*** or GoodBye Kalpana Chawla**. Anybody knows how to change this? Do I need to ask the ASC guys to change it?
I had read some where that the welcome message can be customised, seems somebody has changed yours at yard or dealership, should be a quick fix at ASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
One question though, do you always switch off the infotainment manually before locking the car? Because at-least in my old gen XUV only if I power on the infotainment manually it gives a customized message else it plays the media directly, hope it is the same concept in new age as well.
In my new version every time I switch on the ignition after removing the key it shows the Mahindra Rise message after that only it plays the media from where it left off before removing the key.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:19   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post

In my new version every time I switch on the ignition after removing the key it shows the Mahindra Rise message after that only it plays the media from where it left off before removing the key.
Thanks for confirming on the ORVM on your W8. It is only on W10 for the logo projection.

And its the same with the infotainment on my old version as well.
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:33   #589
BHPian

Any news on the dynamic reverse camera being made available for the New age W8. Mahindra should provide this as an accessory, has anybody found a willing SA to retrofit the W10 dynamic assist system onto W8, should not be a difficult modification IMO. Any suggestions.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 2nd September 2015 at 21:34.
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:38   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The greeting is as follows

I just checked in my W10. It only says welcome and Goodbye. This is applicable only when you switch on or off infotainment using power/volume button.
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:08   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I just checked in my W10. It only says welcome and Goodbye. This is applicable only when you switch on or off infotainment using power/volume button.
It displays the welcome note only when infotainment is switched on or off with the power button in my car as well. My XUV is nearing first service, I will check with ASC on changing it.
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:22   #592
BHPian

Quote:

When R & D team upgraded the SW few weeks back, they added my name in the greeting message - it wasn't there before. So, service guys will be able to change it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
Any news on the dynamic reverse camera being made available for the New age W8. Mahindra should provide this as an accessory, has anybody found a willing SA to retrofit the W10 dynamic assist system onto W8, should not be a difficult modification IMO. Any suggestions.
W10 is in-stock one so not sure if they'll have a spare to fit to W8 and not sure if they'll take this path.

I'm waiting for the reverse camera with modified version (old age model had to pierce the bumper, sales person tells me new version should make it easier) for my new age W8. It'll be available for sure, question is when. He says, in a month's time it should be available. But he says the same last few weeks.

Btw I'm facing an issue - most of the time (USB) media doesn't resume playback from where it left off, it starts from very beginning - happens 99.999% of the times.

My sequence is like this:
- When engine is turned off by "auto engine feature" once I rest the Cheetah, I turn off AC and turn off the Infotainment
- Then I turn the key in ignition slot to turn off the system completely (OFF position, then ACCessory position) and take out the keys

To start later,
- insert the key and turn to ON position (engine is not ON yet), wait for calibration to be completed. Mahindra Rise logo/audio plays, warning msg and it settles in Date/time screen.
- Either turn on the infotainment now & then turn on engine (or) vice-versa, doesn't matter

Now I would expect the infotainment plays from where it left off (that's how most cars work) - but most times, it restarts from very first song of the USB drive. Sometimes, strangely it starts with FM , then I had to switch to USB and it starts from first song.

I even tried - don't turn off infotainment before turning off system and take out keys. In following turn on cycle as well, it doesn't always start from where it left off.
sathya_nars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:32   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Btw I'm facing an issue - most of the time (USB) media doesn't resume playback from where it left off, it starts from very beginning - happens 99.999% of the times.
Hi Sathya,

There is nothing wrong in the sequence of events you have been doing to turn on/off the car/infotainment unit. More or less I follow the same sequence in W10, only difference being I use the On/Off switch to completely switch off the car directly. I have never had this issue of infotainment playing the song from 1st song of the USB drive, on fresh start of the car (except only once when the alert came up on the infotainment unit and it started from 1st song).

May I know what capacity of USB drive are you using?

Have you tried it with different USB drives and the result is same?

Are there any alerts on infotainment system? (just trying to correlate if this issue is related to what I faced once).

I have a different issue though - the infotainment system is not reading all the directories available on the USB drive. I have a 16 GB USB drive. Planning to try with 8 GB one and check if the issue is specific to 16 GB ones.

Last edited by Indian : 3rd September 2015 at 11:34.
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:51   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My XUV is nearing first service, I will check with ASC on changing it.
And I am going to ask SA to put my name or phone number on the welcome and good bye screens.

I like this idea of personalisation
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:10   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Hi Sathya,

There is nothing wrong in the sequence of events you have been doing to turn on/off the car/infotainment unit. More or less I follow the same sequence in W10, only difference being I use the On/Off switch to completely switch off the car directly. I have never had this issue of infotainment playing the song from 1st song of the USB drive, on fresh start of the car (except only once when the alert came up on the infotainment unit and it started from 1st song).

May I know what capacity of USB drive are you using?

Have you tried it with different USB drives and the result is same?

Are there any alerts on infotainment system? (just trying to correlate if this issue is related to what I faced once).

I have a different issue though - the infotainment system is not reading all the directories available on the USB drive. I have a 16 GB USB drive. Planning to try with 8 GB one and check if the issue is specific to 16 GB ones.
Mine is 16 or 32 GB. There was an issue with old age XUV wrt reading higher capacity drives. R & D team told me, there is no such limitation and it must play from where it left off on every start cycle. They're going to take a look at it. Btw no alert messages appeared.

I too face the problem, it's not showing all directories, but it happens little rare. Try to put another USB and get back to original one, it may read. Or else, change the USB drive label (in your PC, in the properties dialog box) and try again.

Back/return button in list menu while browsing USB folders, isn't always taking back to parent folder instead it goes to root folder. Somehow, the SW likes the "root" option, be it playing song or folder menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
And I am going to ask SA to put my name or phone number on the welcome and good bye screens.

I like this idea of personalisation
I would like my house address, email id, face book id - all added up

Last edited by sathya_nars : 3rd September 2015 at 14:11.
Old 5th September 2015, 19:02   #596
BHPian

New entrant to the XUV500 owner's club. Nearing a month of ownership. Thanks to all the contributors on these forums in helping me make the final decision to go ahead with the purchase.

Mechanically, the XUV experience has been wonderful. No issues with the gearshifts, clutch or brakes. In-gear acceleration is always available. The suspension setup is well balanced to handle the rough and tumble of the monsoon stricken city streets, while also not pitching and tumbling like a boat, more evident in the likes of the Fortuner and Pajero Sport (admitedly, Mitsubishi has done a better job considering the chassis setup and vehicle size).

Coming from a Skoda Octavia, not everything has been pleasant. I'm still getting used to the inconsistencies regarding fit and finish in the XUV500. Material choices are mostly decent, but the random misaligned panels, odd rough edges, and general rattly nature while driving over rough surfaces does leave a bit of negative taste.

Some positives:
1. Keyless system works as advertised, and once you get used to it, is one of the features you would not want to lose out on.

2. Air-conditioning has been noted to be very effective by other owners, and I can vouch for the same.

3. Ride and handling, for the size and weight, accompanied with a torquey engine mated to a well tuned gearbox has been a revelation for city driving (bearing in mind my expectations of a Mahindra vehicle.)

4. Noise insulation, it can get eerily disconnected from the outside world even with the music at medium levels, leading to me reducing the volume just so I can be more aware of the surroundings and engine sounds. (Some might not thing of this as an absolute positive, and I tend to agree, but from a build quality perspective, it does throw a positive light on the sound insulation.

5. The sunroof. With the monsoon season having dragged on, the sunroof has been a good option to have during overcast days, and after dark driving. It definitely lights up the inside of the car, and provides an added sense of space.

6. Rear-view camera installed in number plate housing gives a useful top down view, and the dynamic guidelines seem to be fairly accurate so far. A necessary feature for a car this size. (Coming from the 1st gen Octavia, it definitely makes life easier while parking the car.)

7. Static turning lamps. Definitely a very useful feature. I first experienced this riding shotgun on my friend's XUV a few years ago, and still maintain it to be one of the most useful driver aids while navigating many of the badly lit roads of Indian cities.

Some random observations (oddities):
1. Radio tuning from steering wheel controls - Changes frequency by one step when single pressed, and tunes to the next available station when long pressed. Essentially, no way to switch between radio presets (something I frequently did on my 2nd gen Swift). The only way to switch between your selected radio presets is by switching to the radio screen on the touchscreen infotainment system and tapping the selected preset button. Further to that, if you're navigating the system away from the radio screen (i.e. in phone or navigation mode), pressing the Radio button below the screen switches the FM band (FM1, FM2, AM) while switching over to the Radio screen! Which is equal measures ridiculous and unintuitive. Let's say you're cruising down the road, navigation screen on, and you suddenly feel the urge to switch radio stations, well here's what you'd have to do -- 1. Press Home button on centre console below the screen, 2. Tap on the Media icon on touchscreen, 3. Now the screen should be in Radio mode, and you can tap one of the preset buttons to change the station. (Unless you want to scroll through every available radio station via the steering wheel controls).
If anyone has any less convoluted process for the above, do let me know, as that would help with this minor annoyance, which has lead to me just not switching stations while I drive.

2. Fit and finish. Oh Mahindra, when will you match the expected quality at this price range! During the PDI, I noticed some irregularities, in the fit and finish at meeting points of the various body panels. Some not lining up, some with uneven gaps. On bringing it up, the sales rep said it was the same way on all cars! Yes, that was the response from someone working at a Mahindra dealership. On closer inspection of a few other cars ready for delivery or PDI, I confirmed what she had already stated. Essentially, Mahindra lacks QC, whether that's part of the strategy to keep prices low, or just poor management, I don't know. It compares poorly to my (relatively) lowly Swift when it comes to fit and finish on both the outside and inside. For a vehicle that costs almost 3 times as much, that should be unacceptable. But, here we are, I decided to go ahead with the purchase, having already convinced myself this was the best option available on the market. The initial new purchase excitement was dulled down by the realisation that my brand new car came in a condition which I would not have accepted on an accident-repair job at Skoda or even Maruti Suzuki!

3. The rattles. This is something I will have looked at when the car goes into the workshop next, and going by many previous reports, hopefully something they can fix.

The niggles (sigh... go all XUV owners):
1. A/C switches over from recirculation mode to fresh air mode, minuted after I start my drive - every single time! Have been on a trip to the workshop, but they didn't change anything, and hoped the Infotainment and ECU update might solve the problem. (Oddly, they suggested the ECU flash was an EMS flash, which was for the electrical systems of the car, but all other reports on Team-BHP suggest it was a change to the engine control unit. Make of that what you will.)

2. Both headlights have been accumulation moisture while driving in the rain. One of the units more so than the other. The RM recreated the issue after a lengthy wash at the workshop, and has sent images to Mahindra for potential replacement of the headlight assembly. (He has suggested this may only be permissible for one of the units. To which my question is, why does it matter if the moisture entering is significant or not, a brand new vehicle should not be having this issue to any extent! I intend to take this matter up with the company, if replacement order comes through for only one headlight.)

3. Centre console was squeaking when going over rough roads. This was fixed with some lubricant/oil spray. Which was so generously applied, i could see a liquid layer of it all around the start/stop button. Asked them to wipe it clean, and eventually had to get to it myself to do a proper clean up from the nooks and crevices of the centre console/handbrake area.

Just some introductory pictures of the Cheetah for now.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20150824_111217.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20150824_111341.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20150824_111202.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20150824_111259.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20150824_111317.jpg

Last edited by ask99 : 5th September 2015 at 19:18.
ask99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 19:27   #597
BHPian

Got my XUV500 W8 Sunset Orange delivered today. Have a query, In the third row seat, near the left hand rear door, there is a small black switch/knob with open and close option and a Fuel icon next to it. Any idea what is it for
mm403 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 19:31   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Got my XUV500 W8 Sunset Orange delivered today. Have a query, In the third row seat, near the left hand rear door, there is a small black switch/knob with open and close option and a Fuel icon next to it. Any idea what is it for
It's for the fuel release, in case the button near the driver malfunctions, or there is any electrical issue. It allows you to open the fuel tank lid.
ask99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 21:14   #599
BHPian

Did any of you folks opted for Teflon coating from the dealer during car delivery?

Is it advisable to get it done or is it something we should avoid?
Old 6th September 2015, 07:25   #600
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
New Age Mahindra XUV 500 W10 FWD
Delivery in 10 days
Congratulations and best wishes, sbala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Is it advisable to get it done or is it something we should avoid?
Quote:
Freebies - under chassis coating, Teflon coating
Since they are offered as freebies, you can get them done. My past and present vehicles haven't got them. So far, none of them had any paint/rust issues. I always take Teflon coating and underbody anti-rust treatment with a pinch of salt. If your vehicle has a covered parking, there is nothing to fear.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 6th September 2015 at 07:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks