Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 19:11   #3856
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Few things which can not be upgraded in a delta is cruise control, FATC, rear wiper and steering mounted voice command activation. May be the HID too.

I do not know how much I will miss the cruise control. Did two long trips, one in NH4 (300km+ in one direction) and the second to Mysore. But in both the trips, I could not keep the speed constant for more than 5km at a stretch and wonder how much cruise would have helped in these trips.

May be I will miss out on the non-upgradable feature of FACT but that alone was not a good reason for me to pay 3lakh+ extra.

Let me see,

Best alloys : 35-40k
Good HU + two missing tweeters : 25-50k
HID : 25k (when its made available)

So for less than a lakh, I can get better alternatives to the ones available on Alpha, but in a leisure. That will still leave me with a saving of a minimum of 2lakh. I pushed almost to the breaking point to get 1.6 delta and 1.6 Alpha could never possible.

So, please tell me how sensible is my choice of going for 1.6 delta instead of 1.3 zeta (not alpha) for 50k more?

That gem of an engine and six gear gearbox (another gem) is anytime better than the touch screen and cruise. What do you say

girish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
IMHO, it is a logical step by Maruti. If you are going for the 1.6 S-Cross, then you are already spending at least a lakh and half more than the 1.3. So it becomes sensible to go for the fully loaded Alpha, rather than the lower variants. Also, the Zeta variant of 1.6 loses a lot of feature compared to the Zeta variant of 1.3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would not think that is a logical step. The price point (around 10.8 ex showroom) at which the delta trim 1.6 was available made a compelling case of itself due to the sheer performance it offered at the price.
The delta and zeta trims are not poorly loaded by any means.
For people who want the 1.6 engine alone and do not need so many features (which include some very ugly alloys), these variants could have suited them fine.
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 20:17   #3857
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross sales cross 24,000 units since September 2015. Targets 4000 units/ month once all the Nexa showrooms are set up pan India.

That means the S-Cross is roughly clocking sales of about 3,142 units monthly. Of this about 70 percent sales are for the DDiS 200 1.3-litre variant with the remaining being the DDiS 320 engine option powered by a 1.6-litre diesel.

Quote:
Interestingly, the top-end Alpha 1.3-litre diesel is faring the best with a 2-3 week waiting for specific colours. Even the Zeta limited edition rolled out a couple of months ago has drawn customers. The 1.6-litre S-Cross is sought after only by niche customers who opt for long distance travel for which they require more power and torque. For city movement, the smaller diesel option is preferred
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...ber-2015-11019

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st April 2016 at 20:19.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 21:51   #3858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Few things which can not be upgraded in a delta is cruise control, FATC, rear wiper and steering mounted voice command activation. May be the HID too.

I do not know how much I will miss the cruise control. Did two long trips, one in NH4 (300km+ in one direction) and the second to Mysore. But in both the trips, I could not keep the speed constant for more than 5km at a stretch and wonder how much cruise would have helped in these trips.

May be I will miss out on the non-upgradable feature of FACT but that alone was not a good reason for me to pay 3lakh+ extra.

Let me see,

Best alloys : 35-40k
Good HU + two missing tweeters : 25-50k
HID : 25k (when its made available)

So for less than a lakh, I can get better alternatives to the ones available on Alpha, but in a leisure. That will still leave me with a saving of a minimum of 2lakh. I pushed almost to the breaking point to get 1.6 delta and 1.6 Alpha could never possible.

So, please tell me how sensible is my choice of going for 1.6 delta instead of 1.3 zeta (not alpha) for 50k more?

That gem of an engine and six gear gearbox (another gem) is anytime better than the touch screen and cruise. What do you say

girish
@Girish, 1.6 is a good car and offer you got made it even better. You have a good car, enjoy it. Do not worry much about the variant getting discontinued.

Unless you are an audiophile, I would suggest you not to upgrade HU. But you can look at upgrading your speakers.

I had ACC in my SX4 and dont have in my Zeta. It is a good to have feature, but, I do not miss it. In current Bangalore weather, I keep the blower speed at 2 or even at 1 sometimes. I hardly change this setting.

Cruise control might have been a good addition. But I can live without it for my usage pattern.

I covered close to 4000 kms in the last month and half, the car brings a smile on my face whenever I accelerate.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 22:19   #3859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
@Girish, 1.6 is a good car and offer you got made it even better. You have a good car, enjoy it. Do not worry much about the variant getting discontinued.

I covered close to 4000 kms in the last month and half, the car brings a smile on my face whenever I accelerate.
Actually, thats exactly what I wanted to convey. How the engine and the gearbox of 1.6 makes it better than the zigmos that are missed out.

I am going to NEXA tomorrow and will enquire about the speakers and see whether I can get a deal

Girish
Old 1st April 2016, 23:59   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
I had issues with the usb port and I also couldn't get the aux to work.But after some more detailed analysis, found the usb port to be fine. And just today went to the car and found the setting to make the Aux port active.

But I do believe that the sound quality is not good on the lower variants only because the speakers are not good. The speakers on the alpha "are" different!

I am sure the test drive vehicle was an alpha, also if you look at the boot of the test drive vehicle carefully, you might see the amplifier that some dealers have had put in, the one that they try and sell you as an accessory

I had found this unacceptable when I was looking at the variants and could not believe that companies do that. But I guess they do.

All this aside, if you car hear the audio quality being acceptable when using an aux cable, then it does not have to do with either the speakers nor with the hardware.

There are only two things possible, one, the audio recording is not high quality in itself or the cable used is faulty.

Transfer the same track which sounds fine on the aux to the usb device you are using and check if it sounds different.
I think you might be right. The test drive vehicle was indeed the Alpha variant. But I did not see any amplifier in the boot.

The files I tried playing from the USB drive were 320 Kbps VBR MP3. I will ask my friend to give me those tracks which were tried out on the test drive vehicle.
TheGoodest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 05:22   #3861
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Day before yesterday I was on my way to work when a gentleman (probably in his 50's) appeared suddenly in my RVM driving a white S Cross.
He filled my RVM like a big car would. I literally felt him breathing down my neck until he overtook me and took off.
It almost felt like there was a big vehicle behind me for that time.
When he took off, there was a clear stretch ahead of him and I was hemmed in by a bus. The way he took off, made it clear he was in a 1.6.

I think that S Cross is a really good car. Badly under valued by people because us Indian dunderheads are only interested in squiggly gizmos and fuel economy and wheezy gutless performance.

If only those Maruti fellows would give 6-8 airbags, AWD, passenger side seat height adjustment and a few more features, in this price, it will be an even better value prop for the enthusiastic driver who likes cross over type vehicles.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 07:59   #3862

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodest View Post
But I did not see any amplifier in the boot.
The test drive s-cross made available here had an amplifier fitted beneath the front left seat,in the floor. It also had a roof-carrier. The silver border line along the ICE console and gear area were cladded in woody style.
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:48   #3863
BHPian

Out of curiosity, I went to see Vitara Brezza to nearest Maruti Suzuki showroom. They have kept Red+Black Top end variant on display with lots of fingerprints on it. Sad to see a new car on display with no cleanliness and poor lighting.From front the car looks nice with strong road presence. Honestly from the inside the car looks good for the price but feels cheap compared to Scross. The quality & design of the dashboard is nowhere close to Scross. Rear seat have adequate legroom but less wider compared to Scross. The main reason to go there is to see driving seat position and comfort. Sadly felt bit dispaointed again.being a mini SUV you expect higher seating position and good under thigh support (big seats) by no means I am saying vitara brezza is bad car but premium feeling? No

Brezza is one of the best value for money car in its segment. So after spending some time with Brezza I came out of showroom to see my Scross 1.6 alpha with aggressive look on its face. May be it was trying to say "Dude you came here to see better car than me, Ain't you? And I am with somehow guilty face managed to say " Don't you trust me? Then we left from there with huge smile on my face

Attaching some pictures

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160401_190456.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-snapseed02.jpeg

Last edited by ampere : 4th April 2016 at 07:25. Reason: Post Formatted
sahiltodankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:09   #3864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_kochi View Post
The test drive s-cross made available here had an amplifier fitted beneath the front left seat,in the floor. It also had a roof-carrier. The silver border line along the ICE console and gear area were cladded in woody style.
This is what I have in my car.
Front side of the woofer : (Has three speakers)
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160402_121057.jpg

Back side of the woofer :
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160402_121136.jpg
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:43   #3865
BHPian

Here is a quick comparison pic of the three: SCross, Brezza and Creta lined up at the service center for an early morning parade. Thoughts?

Mods can you please help delete the post without the pic?

Last edited by mindovermotor : 2nd April 2016 at 13:56.
Old 3rd April 2016, 00:51   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Existing owners, please update asap.

-> In comparison to Brezza, is S-Cross a sensible choice?

-> Is there any ground clearance issue with S-cross (I have a Honda City(been there, done that with breakers))

-> What is the mileage of the 1.3 variant?

-> Longevity of the car, planning to keep for at least 9-10 years.

-> Which colour looks best on S-Cross?

-> Any existing point from the existing owners to a prospective owner?
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:38   #3867
BHPian

Finally I got the delivery of my much awaited S Cross 1.6 Alpha granite grey. Would like to share my initial impressions although it will be a repitition of what people have mentioned before. Prior to this I drove Honda City GXI 2005. Drove my honda for over a decade itself says a lot about the car and it was not easy to choose an upgrade(?) over honda city. She catered to all my driving needs from daily city drive to occasional long drives. Honda reliability and interiors are still unmatched but I wanted a diesel car for better mileage and better ground clearance over honda. Since many roads in India still give you an experience of hard core off-roading I was looking at an SUV that fitted everyday city use and occassional/frequent long drives. My shortlists were in order of preference 1. Renault Duster 4x4, 2. Maruti S Cross 1.6 and 3. Hyundai Creta 1.6.

Exterior looks are not so important for me so neither the plain looks of S cross nor the dated looks of Duster mattered. Duster's new revamp was awaited but I still fixed a test drive for the 4x4 but to my surprise they never turned up. Meanwhile Maruti announced price cut of S Cross and allured me towards it. Later, due to inordinate delay in delivery I almost cancelled the S cross and that coincided with Renault announcing launch of new Duster. I again sought a test drive and the duster guys made me wait for the new model to arrive and promising that I will be the first one to test drive etc etc but at the end they ditched me again and the guy wont pick up my call or reply to my messages. So thats how I decided to postpone my 4x4 dream for a while and proceded with S Cross.

S Cross has indeed got me the initial smiles. It feels great to be in driver's seat. High position, clear view, seat and steering adjustments and excellent leather seat. You will love it when at traffic signals you find yourself seated higher than the cars to your left and right.

Steering and instrument cluster are indeed very good and 1.6 ltr's power is simply amazing. When I moved from Maruti 800 to Honda city 1495 cc, it felt too good but the power thing never got into my head. However, moving from 1495 cc honda petrol engine to 1598 cc fiat diesel there is a clear surge of power in S Cross.

The turbo lag below 1750 rpm or the turbo boost over 1750 rpm is clearly felt. not that its an issue but the sudden turbo boost surprizes you and its advisable to be careful initially untill you get used to this. I liked the gears of my honda more.

Its my first diesel car and the engine sound is not very appealing apart from the NVH but the power compensates it. But I loved the sound or the silence of my honda petrol engine.

I am going to miss the large over 500 ltr boot of my honda city. There is lot of leg space in the rear seat but S Cross will not be recommended for rear seat passengers as although the seat is good, spacious, high and comfy, its the head rest on lower position that makes it most uncomfortable seat and with the head rest on higher position, your neck is going to be at 180 degrees always. I wonder how could Suzuki quality pass such an uncomfortable rear seat and whats the point giving so much of leg space when the rear passenger can not sit comfortably. Thankfully, I dont have much use of the rear seats and I would have appreciated a bigger boot rather. They have everything right with their rear seats except this head rest poking in your back all the time so it cant be recomended for chauffeur driven ownership specially after owning a honda city.

I liked the auto inside rear view mirror as it gets dark in the night and soothens the lights of the vehicles behind. I would have preferred more and wider view from the IRVM which is very narrow. outside rear view mirrors are big but there is an irritating reflection of the silver lining of the AC vent on both sides.

Right now I am loving it so much that I tend to take longer routes and awaiting for a long drive. I am sure with this vehicle I will find lot more excuses to be on highways.

Last edited by ashtrix : 3rd April 2016 at 07:48. Reason: missed a point
ashtrix is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:43   #3868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

In comparison to Brezza, is S-Cross a sensible choice?
- Both are different
- S Cross is more sedan-ish and Breeza is more SUV-ish (Ecosport-ish)
- Interiors feel more premium on the S cross, Exteriors are stunning on the Breeza.(Those alloys are droooool..)
- NVH seems better on the Brezza - as per media TDs (see ACI comparison with Ecosport, NVH is better than an Ecosport..!!)
- Space is more in the S Cross
- I presume ride handling is better on the S Cross, as it is dynamically mature and has longer wheelbase.
- For a person who likes the S Cross, it is a sensible choice over the Breeza. I mean I do not regret not waiting for the Brezza, but I do regret not waiting for the S Cross price drop, as I let go the 1.6 as it was over priced.

Is there any ground clearance issue with S-cross (I have a Honda City(been there, done that with breakers)

No
I have not brushed the front, engine bay on any speed breakers. I feel its as good as the SX4
S Cross glides through crater laden Cochin roads like a breeze.
Ride is cushy, though I would have liked the suspension to be a bit more firm for those enthusiastic curves on good roads.

What is the mileage of the 1.3 variant?

If driven sanely I am sure you ll get close to 18-19 kmpl in a mix of city and highway driving. I have seen more stellar values on longer trips.
Inspite of 225 section tyres and code 6 stage I remap I get around 15.5kmpl despite my heavy right foot.

Longevity of the car, planning to keep for at least 9-10 years.

The build of the car resembles or slightly betters the Ritz. It is no floaty Ciaz or the Swift. Should last long. I see more 2008-09 Ritzes than Swifts. Door trim rattles might creep in as in any other Maruti as door trims are nothing to write home about (Breeza has worse door trims). 1.3 is a time tested Engine. If you are not doing a remap the engine should last long.

If you are planning to keep the car for so long I would suggest you to go for the 1.6. It is gem of an engine, and all faults I have found about the 1.6 car are more of the sour grapes issues. 1.6 at the current price point is the best performing car under 15L barring the VW/Skoda 1.2TSI/1.5TDI. 1.3 wont disappoint you in town and speeds below 110 kmph. It is as good as its competition (duster/ecosport/breeza/city diesel).

Which colour looks best on S-Cross?

The darker colours look better on the S cross (My opinion)
In dark shades the black cladding gels well and the car looks bigger and SUVish from the sides and front. Lighter cars feel more Sedan-ish and less taller. However white is the favorite colour in tbhp. For me its the Brown and Granite Grey. Attached my car pic for reference. I am sure many have noticed the height of a creta on darker shades. White Creta looks good, Black feels too tall.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-137.jpg

[b]Any existing point from the existing owners to a prospective owner? /B]
1.3 or 1.6
White or Brown
You ll not regret an S Cross purchase once you start using it.
sandygordon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 08:11   #3869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

-> In comparison to Brezza, is S-Cross a sensible choice?

-> Is there any ground clearance issue with S-cross (I have a Honda City(been there, done that with breakers))

-> What is the mileage of the 1.3 variant?

-> Longevity of the car, planning to keep for at least 9-10 years.

-> Which colour looks best on S-Cross?

-> Any existing point from the existing owners to a prospective owner?
I too own a Honda city and now an S cross. Please do a test drive of 1.3 and 1.6 ltr S cross before taking a call as per your needs. I will recommend 1.6.

Ground Clearance of Honda City made me look for something 200 mm gc but i think 180 mm gc of S cross will be more than adequate after having driven honda.

Its too early to comment on mileage as i have barely driven 100 odd kms with 70% bumper to bumper traffic and a lot of idling. It shows 12 something at the moment.

This is a solid built car, much heavier than honda city and it feels a large car from inside. I used to often rest my right elbow on the honda window and out of habit when I tried it on my S cross I realized it was too far for it. What I mean to say is that whatever may the dimensions of the car its quite spacious inside.

I think the white looks best on S cross although I bought granite grey.

I suggest you to take a test drive just to feel the car and understand what you might have read about it.
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:43   #3870
BHPian

so my Saturday turned out to be the worst day.I had parked My Scross under the tree.suddenly something falls on my Car.got stunned for a minute or two.with worried face I came out of my car to see the bonnet turned whole white.I knew something worse is waiting for me.sprayed some wd40 and saw big dent on bonnet.came to know construction work is going behind the tree. with tears in my eyes I managed to reach home and called my dad to see the damage.dad consoled me by saying its not my fault but I knew I was idiot to park my car near construction work( didn't notice it) visited Sai service next to my building to see what can be done. expected damage is 8k for whole bonnet.even I claim insurance then I have to pay at least 3k along with it I will miss the insurance bonus worth 2.5k for claiming it under an year :( Entire work will take min 3 days so I have decided to get it done on next service. I have decided to mask it with carbon fiber stripes till then.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160402_151333.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160402_151326.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks