Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2016, 14:46   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
I must add that the hand rest in the TUV300 play a very important role in minimising driver fatigue levels on long drives.Your deltoides are relaxed while resting your elbow on the Hand rest.
Nice seat covers there Sirvoicar. What is the material and how much did it cost you? The original TUV steering itself is quite nice to hold. After putting the steering wheel cover, don't you feel it is a bit bulky at least from the looks, it seems so, hence asking.

Edit:Bluejay, welcome to the TUV owner's club and congratulations on your TUV AMT. Somehow I missed your post.

One humble request to all the proud TUV owners, who have recently taken the possession of their steed, please start your ownership thread. This will immensely help fellow-TUV owners and others who are vying for the TUV. I understand that starting an ownership thread is a daunting task (especially here in TBHP, because of our strict guidelines), but then what's the fun in doing the things that are easy.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 17th January 2016 at 14:51.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 15:53   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Nice seat covers there Sirvoicar. What is the material and how much did it cost you? The original TUV steering itself is quite nice to hold. After putting the steering wheel cover, don't you feel it is a bit bulky at least from the looks, it seems so, hence asking.
This is my 3rd car in the last 10 years, to have been fitted with seat covers at Orchis. They are good.The seats are removed and the covers are stitched and fitted with professional clamps. They look like original seats ( and not like after market seat covers) . The material is artificial leather (they also do in genuine leather, but it is expensive around 60K for a sedan)

I picked up my seat pattern from VolvoXC90

Their location :http://www.google.co.in/maps/place/O...53ef21770f663c

I have done the gear Knob and the steering wheel in genuine leather. The 7 seats +gear knob + Steering wheel cost me ₹13,000/-. It took an entire day to finish the job 9.30 am to 6.00 pm.

The steering wheel feels much better with the genuine leather. The leather has properties to stretch and thin to the shape of the steering wheel, hence you do not feel any extra thickness. They remove the steering wheel to stitch the leather tightly over it.However, the feel is much better than the plastiky feel of the original steering wheel. Leather does not heat up too, so in summer there are no issues of finding the steering wheel hot when parked in the sun.

On hindsight I should have asked them to use Black leather like on the gear knob.Visually the light colours seem bulky, and they get dirty too. :(
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-seat-cover-installation16.11.2015-01-1.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-seat-cover-installation16.11.2015-02.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-seat-cover-installation16.11.2015-03.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-seat-cover-installation16.11.2015-04.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-seat-cover-installation16.11.2015-05.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-gear-knob.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 17:28   #588
BHPian

Quote:
They remove the steering wheel to stitch the leather tightly over it.
That's a risky option that you have chosen to remove the steering wheel for applying the steering cover, as I see that you have Airbags available in your car.

I was lucky to get the below installed three years ago on my WagonR. It does not have Airbags, but Stunnerz HYD guy stitched this in flat 20 minutes and it is still holding good after 50 kms of driving on it. I have to admit, I don't know much about these aspects and just gone ahead with what the guy suggested. It costed me 400/- or 500/- then.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160117_171758.jpg

Quote:
On hindsight I should have asked them to use Black leather like on the gear knob.Visually the light colours seem bulky, and they get dirty too. :(
Black would have looked good too.
Old 17th January 2016, 17:48   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Just back from the PDI of my Red Dwarf. Thanks to Autoindian for the exhaustive PDI checklist. Spent 1.5 hours going over every single point on the check list and ensuring that everything is to my satisfaction. Was not allowed to the drive the car but was given ample time to check everything else. Full credits to my SA Manoj who did not hurry me even though the showroom was full of KUV100 customers waiting to talk to someone. My 2 month wait is slowly coming to an end and the next 3 days are going to be extremely long!

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-2dscn0580.jpg

Couple of points that I noted. Will be great if owners can chip in:

1. The engine oil dip stick is a little tricky to use. Its flexible and seemed a little flimsy. I also saw metallic particles on the thin film of engine oil when I pulled out the dip stick - not sure if these particles were from the dip stick or from the engine

2. There was rust on the exhaust manifold. The SA said this is normal as its made of cast iron and also showed me another car which had similar rust. Not sure if this the case with other cars as well. Can other owners check & confirm?
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-2dscn0577.jpg

3. Try as I may, I was unable to locate the vaccum resonator. I did find the modulator & based on the pics that TaurusAl & Rohit_11 had posted, the resonator should have been installed on the pipe just below the clamp
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-1dscn0576.jpg

4. The SA mentioned that the battery is a Amaron Lithium Ion battery and does not need any maintenance or distilled water top up. I checked the owners manual and it still talks about acid solution & topping up. Other owners, please check & confirm.

5. Could not find the manufacturing date on the Apollo Apterrra. Michelins on my WagonR have it stamped on the tyre. How do I find the manufacturing date?

Have asked my SA to check if my car is in the recall/replacement list for the 3 parts which other owners have called out. Will get to know day after but I also plan to take the car to the service center the next weekend to personally check if anything needs to be replaced.

Last edited by procrj : 17th January 2016 at 17:58.
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 18:06   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
That's a risky option that you have chosen to remove the steering wheel for applying the steering cover, as I see that you have Airbags available in your car.
I presume they know their job.They do high end cars like BMW, Merc's too.All top end Indian cars come with Airbags .I suppose all functions are in the electrical system/sensors/connectors.The car electronic diagnostic system also can detect any fault in the safety system and raise an alarm. Nowadays, the steering wheel has many controls including ICE.

Genuine leather steering covers are always bespoke, they cut the selected leather (colour,etc) to measurement and stitch it. If you got genuine leather for ₹400/-, it is a steal.
Old 17th January 2016, 18:39   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Through my SA I got your chassis number checked in the DMS system. Your car was listed only for the Vacuum modulator replacement. The FDM was not listed. So in all probability your car is already fitted with the FDM having new design.
Thanks Autoindian for taking so much interest and finding the details about my car. That is some relief to know. I will be heading on a 2k trip this Friday to my home town Goa. Finger crossed, and hope the tank performs flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Just back from the PDI of my Red Dwarf.

1. The engine oil dip stick is a little tricky to use. Its flexible and seemed a little flimsy. I also saw metallic particles on the thin film of engine oil when I pulled out the dip stick - not sure if these particles were from the dip stick or from the engine

Completely Agree. The sales guy had to initially help me in putting it back.

2. There was rust on the exhaust manifold. The SA said this is normal as its made of cast iron and also showed me another car which had similar rust. Not sure if this the case with other cars as well. Can other owners check & confirm?
Yes, I observed this in my vehicle too.

3. Try as I may, I was unable to locate the vaccum resonator. I did find the modulator & based on the pics that TaurusAl & Rohit_11 had posted, the resonator should have been installed on the pipe just below the clamp

Yes I dont see it installed in your car. This is really sad. Why dont they install the resonator before the delivery is beyond me. Be prepared to take the tank to the workshop immediately to get it fixed.

4. The SA mentioned that the battery is a Amaron Lithium Ion battery and does not need any maintenance or distilled water top up. I checked the owners manual and it still talks about acid solution & topping up. Other owners, please check & confirm.

Most batteries need some maintenance once in a while if not frequent. I maybe wrong, not a battery expert. Ill let other's comment.

5. Could not find the manufacturing date on the Apollo Apterrra. Michelins on my WagonR have it stamped on the tyre. How do I find the manufacturing date?

Same thing, did not find the date till the end and gave up.

Have asked my SA to check if my car is in the recall/replacement list for the 3 parts which other owners have called out. Will get to know day after but I also plan to take the car to the service center the next weekend to personally check if anything needs to be replaced.
Wish you a very happy ownership experience and welcome to the fast growing tank family.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 18:53   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dipsticks are always flexible. Its normal. I do not expect metal particles in the oil film on the dipstick. DO check with few other cars in the lot and ask the sales adviser.

Yes. Cast Iron parts get a layer of rust. Not only the exhause manifold but brake drums too gather rust. It is normal. Do not worry.

The maintenance free batteries are commonly found today on the cars. The comments in the owner's manual are generic. I suggest you to trust the sales adviser.

The manufacturing date will be written on the tyre, for example: 4515. This means that the tyre has been manufactured in the 45th week of 2015.
Wish you happy motoring and an excellent ownership experience.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 21:00   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just back from the PDI of my Red Dwarf. Thanks to Autoindian for the exhaustive PDI checklist. Spent 1.5 hours going over every single point on the check list and ensuring that everything is to my satisfaction. Was not allowed to the drive the car but was given ample time to check everything else. Full credits to my SA Manoj who did not hurry me even though the showroom was full of KUV100 customers waiting to talk to someone. My 2 month wait is slowly coming to an end and the next 3 days are going to be extremely long!
Many congratulations procrj on doing a successful PDI and good to know that the PDI checklist that I shared helped you. All credit goes to TBHP for storing this wealth of information. No worries even if you didn't get a chance to drive the car. The dealer's PDI includes thorough test drive of the car and issues if any must have already been addressed. Since you have done the PDI I am assuming you might have cleared all the payments. Now take the delivery asap, no point in keeping the car with the dealer. I can understand your 2 months long wait. The 20 days waiting in which I got my TUV seemed to be pretty long.

Quote:
Couple of points that I noted. Will be great if owners can chip in:
After going through your points, I jumped out of my house, armed with mobile camera and took couple of pictures, here is my take

Quote:
Don't bother much about the metallic particles. You should have wiped them off with a cloth/paper and again taken a dip reading. It is good that M&M has scheduled the first oil change service @ 3K km. So whatever impurities get into the oil would be flushed after the first oil change. The dip stick is flexible, I agree, but not flimsy. After you take couple of measurements you will get used to it. But beware of the hard plastic parts surrounding it, I almost had a cut on my thumb.

Quote:
Whatever your SA mentioned is quite right, here is the proof of the pudding, picture of my exhaust manifold below. Normally ferrous parts subjected to high temperature are prone to rust formation due to the high rate of oxidation, this is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160117_181901.jpg

Quote:
I am sharing my car's picture below. You are right, the black plastic part (connected to the flexible pipe) is perhaps the vacuum modulator and the vacuum resonator fits deep inside, which is not visible from the outside when bonnet is opened

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160117_181834.jpg

Quote:
The SA was wrong and the owner's manual is right. Proof, I was charged Rs 22.22/- for battery water (NPN20) during my first scheduled service.

Quote:
Your this query inspired me to once again go on the hunting mission for identifying the date stamp on tyres. Earlier two attempts had been futile. First tried to get some idea from the net, then in the darkness of night, equipped with my mobile torch, I could finally locate it . You can see the month/year manufacturing stamp in a rectangle right below the tyre size 215/75 R15. In the picture below watch the red oval, it mentions 4115, meaning 41st week of the year 2015, i.e. 2nd or 3rd week of Oct 2015. Not bad given that my car had a manufacturing date stamped on RHS ORVM as 17/10/2015

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tyre-month-year-manufature.jpg

Quote:
All the best for the d-day.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 21:17   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Wish you a very happy ownership experience and welcome to the fast growing tank family.
Thanks TaurusAI. Will talk to my SA tomorrow and ask him to get the resonator fixed & check for the other replacements as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Wish you happy motoring and an excellent ownership experience.
Thanks Rahul
Quote:
Now take the delivery asap
Home ministry says that 21st is a good day & nothing before that. Hence my 3 day wait
Quote:
You should have wiped them off with a cloth/paper and again taken a dip reading.
Did that. Did not see any particles in the second reading & hence not very worried. These were like super thin flakes which could easily have come from the metal end of the dip stick
Quote:
the black plastic part (connected to the flexible pipe) is perhaps the vacuum modulator
The black plastic part is the vaccum resonator.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-vcmod1.jpg
Quote:
I was charged Rs 22.22/- for battery water (NPN20) during my first scheduled service.
Can you check the model of your battery and let me know. Will verify mine post delivery
Quote:
I could finally locate it
Good find
Quote:
All the best for the d-day.
Thanks AutoIndian. Tank showing any improvement post first service?
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 22:35   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you check the model of your battery and let me know. Will verify mine post delivery
Will check this out tomorrow.

Quote:
After the service I could drive my Orange tank only for few kms (9-10 approx). As of now no major difference observed yet although there is a subtle feeling of more refinement and more bite in brakes. Perhaps tomorrow morning's drive to office (20km), I can make out some more difference. One good thing observed today was that the driver side window/door buzzing has almost gone (99%). Will keep the 1% reserved for tomorrow. If it still persists then will go for the beading change.
Old 18th January 2016, 10:11   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just now took the picture of my car's battery, sharing it here.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160118_100053.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 11:40   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks TaurusAI. Will talk to my SA tomorrow and ask him to get the resonator fixed & check for the other replacements as well
Thanks Rahul

Home ministry says that 21st is a good day & nothing before that. Hence my 3 day wait
Did that. Did not see any particles in the second reading & hence not very worried. These were like super thin flakes which could easily have come from the metal end of the dip stick
The black plastic part is the vaccum resonator.
Attachment 1462207
Good find
The part where you have mentioned Modulator is actually the EGR Valve. The Modulator is a small Electro-plastic part that is black in colour. The other part that is the resonator (most commonly called Isolator) is nothing but a reserve vacuum chamber to assist EGR Valve. Mostly this is not required when the modulator and EGR hose functions smoothly to let the EGR valve open and shut.
Sharing so that everyone in the forum knows the parts that are being changed.
So far my tank has done 7600 kms. Vacuum modulator and FDM (fuel delivery module) have been changed and Vacuum Resonator has been added.
nishant kar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 11:51   #598
BHPian

Me My Tank and the Roads

Just finished an 2400 kms drive Bangalore-Kadapa-Machilipatnam-Vizag-kakinada-Machilipatnam-Bangalore trip in the tank.

It was an wonderful drive, some of the stretches around kakinada -- Machilipatnam were single roads and truck traffic. The tank handled it with total ease. For most of this trip I had 5 people (including me) along with several large suitcases in the boot. In Machilipatnam-- Vizag -- Kakinada -- Machilipatnam instance even had 2 adult passengers in the last row seats. Although they were slightly cramped, but I guess people can sit in that last seat for long stretches with minimal luggage.

Before the trip my odometer had clocked only 200 kms after delivery, now after the trip its 2600+ kms(Mileage recorded was 15) that too with in a month of purchasing the vehicle!

For the first 1000 kms I didn't cross 80-90 kmph. While on the return leg drove around 110-120 kmph with ease.

Even managed to drive in an private beach and should say its very heavy and got strucked in the sand, we had to call back the backup vehicle Duster which almost got struck in sand while pulling the tank

but we managed to push it back on wheels(both the rear wheels were strucked).

during my drive back identified the hissing noise(in slow speeds) reached the Mahindra service center they said no issues driving with these as its part of the recall (vaccum modulator and Resonator to be be replaced)

Will start a new thread and will post pics shortly

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 18th January 2016 at 11:54.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 11:52   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
The part where you have mentioned Modulator is actually the EGR Valve. The Modulator is a small Electro-plastic part that is black in colour.
Thanks Nishanth. This means that my car does not have the vacuum modulator and hence I need to get this fixed before delivery Wonder why M&M has not fixed this during production and requires owners to proactively check and then fix.
Old 18th January 2016, 11:55   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nishanth. This means that my car does not have the vacuum modulator and hence I need to get this fixed before delivery Wonder why M&M has not fixed this during production and requires owners to proactively check and then fix.
No modulator will be there, its at the other end of the Vacuum hose (vacuum pipe). Most Probably it might the updated modulator hence no change might be required.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks