Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 14:09   #1276
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
I bought the Tiago too and here is my experience.
Congratulations!

Quote:
During the entire process, the communication from dealership side was poor and not at all prompt. I felt that I wanted to buy this car more than they wanted to sell it to me.
Well said. I can second this. I had the exact same feeling all throughout the waiting period.

Quote:
3. Good comfortable fabric seats. It would be a shame to cover it up at a local shop or with TATA’s (rather poor) seat covers. It would not have done justice. So I did not. At least for now.
Neither have I. Considering how comfortable the seats are, aftermarket leather seat covers or even fabric ones may end up changing the seat's contours and reducing the comfort level.

Quote:
4. The music system is crystal clear and crisp. (But turn up the volume to really loud and the door interiors will rattle with the beat. It’s a 5 lakh car after all.)
I have noticed that the doors/door-pads and windows start vibrating at volumes starting from 11/12 onwards, especially if the music has thumpy beats. Makes me wonder how good this music system would feel in a car that has solid build quality, like the Polo for example.

And just think how good an iteration of this system with 10 speakers (including a sub-woofer which is absent in the Tiago) would sound in the Hexa which apparently has heavy doors/body sheet-metal which could make for good acoustics.

Quote:
1. Minor issues like slight rattling under the dashboard. Was fixed in first service. Holding up well so far.
I think I am experiencing this too. It has been a week and a half since delivery. It occurs noticeably when accelerating from lower RPMs in the 2nd/3rd gears and very slightly in 4th/5th as well. Although I haven't been able to pinpoint the source like you have, but the rattling sound seems to come from the dashboard area in general.

Quote:
3. Sometimes I wonder, how wonderful it could have been with a more refined and more powerful engine under the hood.
The Tiago Sport could be a very good contender for a low-cost warm hatchback in the future.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 21st November 2016 at 14:17.
Old 21st November 2016, 21:44   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni
I think I am experiencing this too. It has been a week and a half since delivery. It occurs noticeably when accelerating from lower RPMs in the 2nd/3rd gears and very slightly in 4th/5th as well. Although I haven't been able to pinpoint the source like you have, but the rattling sound seems to come from the dashboard area in general.
I think it is related to the engine vibrations which creep in, have experienced the same, hold the gear lever and you should find the noise goes away. Let me know if that helps, am planning to bring this up in my 7500 KMS service which should be up shortly

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2016 at 23:29. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:52   #1278

Hello Friends,

I am posting on behalf of my friend who has booked a TATA Tiago XT(o) variant with Concorde Motors Bengaluru. It's been more than 3 months after multiple follow ups he is yet to get any confirmation on the car delivery. I was wondering if any one else also facing similar issues. The dealer is saying XT variants are readily available where as XT(o) will take 2 more weeks (This was 1 month back).

My friend was asking my opinion on buying Maruti Celerio but I convinced him to buy Tiago as I felt it better value for money. Also pushed him to opt for Airbags for better safety. My friend is planning to cancel his booking go for Celerio(I am still discouraging him to buy car without airbags so no XT variant either). Would love to hear suggestion from fellow BHPians who have test driven both cars. Do you guys think he should wait a little longer?

Note: I haven't driven Tiago but have driven Celerio couple of times.
Debashis_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:28   #1279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debashis_1 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am posting on behalf of my friend who has booked a TATA Tiago XT(o) variant with Concorde Motors Bengaluru. It's been more than 3 months after multiple follow ups he is yet to get any confirmation on the car delivery. I was wondering if any one else also facing similar issues. The dealer is saying XT variants are readily available where as XT(o) will take 2 more weeks (This was 1 month back).

My friend was asking my opinion on buying Maruti Celerio but I convinced him to buy Tiago as I felt it better value for money. Also pushed him to opt for Airbags for better safety. My friend is planning to cancel his booking go for Celerio(I am still discouraging him to buy car without airbags so no XT variant either). Would love to hear suggestion from fellow BHPians who have test driven both cars. Do you guys think he should wait a little longer?

Note: I haven't driven Tiago but have driven Celerio couple of times.
XT(o) variants do have a pretty big waiting period. My neighbour happily upgraded to XZ after hearing the waiting period for the XT (o) variant.
Old 25th November 2016, 09:52   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Do you guys think he should wait a little longer?
Hi Debashis,

Having test driven both Celerio Zxi (o) and Tata Tiago XZ (Both Petrol), which are comparable feature-wise, I decided to wait for the Tiago even though the Celerio was available in a very short period.

If your friend takes back to back test drives of both the cars, I am certain that he will go for the Tiago.
madhavgpai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 12:26   #1281
BHPian

So, after almost more then 6 months, my friend got his XZ petrol (sunburst orange) delivered. A lot of drama happened during these 6 months. Emails, heated conversations, Tata getting involved, shifting of booking to another dealer and what not.

My first impression during a short drive: The suspensions are on softer side and offer good comfort in low speeds, over bad patches/speed breakers. No bumps at all. Super light EPS. The engine response to throttle is good and car feels peppy. Typical 3 cylinder refinement levels. I got annoyed with the engine note in lower rpms. No such issues in mid range and post 30 km/hr. Brakes are not that responsive, they require more than normal effort. The gap between A&B pedal is too narrow for my liking. Dead pedal is very practical and nicely placed. Engine cover given (you mostly don't get that even in a segment above). Aircon is a chiller. The boot doesn't shut easily and you have to push to close it properly.
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 16:09   #1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqist View Post
But that is not the reason I write today. When I booked at that time they had told a waiting period of 4 months, but this has not even completed a month now. In the interim, I also booked the Baleno Delta Petrol, with a six months waiting period. The intention was to take whichever came first, but now wifey only wants the Baleno, as she feels it can comfortably seat 5 adults. I am now confused and torn between available Tiago and a bit distant Baleno.
Hello Torqist,
Looks like you are in same dilemma like most first time car buyers. I have Suzuki Baleno petrol Zeta model and may be I can help you with few suggestions. I have never driven Tiago but prior to purchasing Baleno I have test driven Swift, Grand i 10, Celerio, Wagon R, Ritz, Swift Dzire, i 20, X cent, EON, Tata Zest and Bolt. After reading team BHP posts on each cars several times and multiple test drives I finally decided to go for Grand i 10 (I guess you can compare Tiago with Grand i 10 in terms of space). But lucky for MSIL they launched Baleno and I booked it after 2 test drives. It has more usable space than almost all of the above mentioned cars have.

1. Since you have booked Tiago Diesel and Baleno delta petrol I don't think there would be much of a price difference.
2. If you are looking for good space Baleno is the car for you. My fellow BHPians don't recommend this and neither do I, but I have traveled with 6 members on board (Including driver) without much of a trouble(Just to the railway station ).
3. On the other hand if you are comfortable with Tiago you'll probably save more money on fuel(Diesel) on long run.
4. Do a feature comparison of both cars and see where you get maximum value.

My take on Baleno: I don't have any major concerns about my car but like many BHPians it has few dimples on the door too.(Remember Tiago is heavier than Baleno)
Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3876216. I don't see similar complaints from any other car owners having brand other than MSIL. For concerns related Tiago Diesel other BHPians can give their suggestions.

Hope this helps
Debashis_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 20:26   #1283

Quote:
Looks like you are in same dilemma like most first time car buyers.
Thank you Debashis_1 for taking the time to provide me with the details, which without doubt, does help me with the decision. I like the space in the Baleno, but there is a waiting period of nearly 6 months, but which time, the Baleno will be a two-year old vehicle. The Tiago on the other hand is now available and launched this year, and very VFM. I am veering towards the Tiago. Most probably will get the delivery within the next few days.

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2016 at 22:21. Reason: Trimmed length of quoted post
Old 28th November 2016, 22:34   #1284
BHPian

Responding to a few questions.

1. The prices were increased by Rs 12000 on 20th Oct. I know because my car was delivered on 24th Oct and I had to pay the extra. Ex Showroom price of Tata XZ in Delhi was Rs 4.72 lacs.

2. The car is quite solidly built and there is no sound from anywhere yet and I have driven my XZ for 1300 km now in some quite bad Delhi roads.

3. Surprisingly in Delhi Concorde Motors seem to have upped their standard quite substantially because I got more VIP treatment when I bought the Tiago as compared to my Honda iVtech.

4. I have had several calls to enquire about my experience in the showroom and the selling process. It is good they do this and I take the time to respond.

5. So far the only problem I have faced is the LHS front door is a little difficult to close. I am sure this can be sorted out in the first service.

6. I am surprised by others getting low mileage. I am currently on 17.8 km/l on the MID readout with a total distance of 1300 km. I am driving in Delhi early morning when the traffic is light and thereafter during the day and evening when it is horrendously heavy and bumper to bumper. On the last tank fill about half is empty and the specific consumption is 18.9 km/l.

7. As I mentioned in an earlier post the speaker ports are made in the doors and cannot be as rigid or strong as wooden ones. They are not meant to really play heavy bass like a woofer in a separate enclosure. However, the volume level of 11-13 has no real significance as the original recording level might be low or high. If it is low then even at 16-17 it might not be very loud. Use the presets available and you should get a good clean sound even at higher levels.

8. You will have a good experience of the engine if you upshift at 2000 to 2300 rpm and the power delivery will be smoother. When you upshift wait a second or so before releasing the clutch otherwise it will give a jerk. Best way to drive is to use the stick shift productively and not be afraid to change gears as often as required. It's a three cylinder petrol engine and will not behave like a diesel engine which has a very flat torque curve over 1500 rpm.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 23:13   #1285

Hi guys,

It's been close to 800 kms so far in my xz petrol. Thought of sharing a few details.

1. Nasty surprise is that my vehicle was delivered with empty wiper fluid container. The concorde guys told me to "top it up" during delivery, but alas, I didn't apparantly read between their lines.

2. Got a call from concorde motors that the bonnet hook retainer/holder is ready and requested me to drop in anytime to get it fixed.

3. The vehicle gives 12kms/lit. in city traffic. I use both modes but practically with AC on always.

4. Tail light illumination at nights is awesome.

5. Seating comfort is good for driver (read me) and family. Fatigue free highway performance.

6. Don't expect too much from the cooled glove box. It keeps the drinks just about cool enough.

7. People who ask me "why tata?" on hearing that I have booked one always walk away impressed now on feeling it in person. Their jaws drop on seeing the interiors and experiencing the creature comforts.
docgb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:07   #1286
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tiago has entered the top 10 monthly bestsellers list for the very first time in it's sales career, by notching up 6,008 units as dealer dispatches in November 2016.

Quote:
Tata Motors sold 6,008 units of Tiago in November and occupied the 10th position among the top most selling cars during the month. Based on IMPACT design language, Tiago contributed 47 percent of the total passenger vehicles sales of Tata Motors. The company sold 12,736 passenger vehicles in November, out of which 6,008 were Tiago.

Kaushik Madhavan, Director - Automotive & Transportation, MENASA at Frost & Sullivan, said, "There are two aspects to Tiago's success -- first is TaMo has been successful in packaging the car with good features at a competitive price and second is the brand perception that has changed significantly with the introduction of new generation models like Tiago and Hexa."
Tata Tiago : Official Review-55757004.jpg

ET Auto

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd December 2016 at 01:09.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 07:05   #1287
Senior - BHPian

My friend is picking up one shortly. He has paid a token advance and I will be joining him for the selection of model and negotiations next week.

Besides the PDI, any specific pointers to look out for in the Tiago? I have asked him to wait and pick up a 2017 manufactured vehicle. Would that be available by the end of Jan 2017 as the ones currently being produced are moving out as soon as produced?
Old 3rd December 2016, 08:12   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Besides the PDI, any specific pointers to look out for in the Tiago? I have asked him to wait and pick up a 2017 manufactured vehicle. Would that be available by the end of Jan 2017 as the ones currently being produced are moving out as soon as produced?
Normally Manufacturers start producing MY 2017 models from late November/December month itself. So your friend could get a Latest 2017 batch car. Since Tiago is in demand, I would suggest your friend to buy one as soon as possible. If the MY 2017 cars had any feature changes (Unlikely on a Tata), I would have suggested to wait.

No one (Second Buyer) will bother to Search for month of manufacturing using VIN number when he is buying a pre owned car.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 14:58   #1289
BHPian

After watching the Tiago thread keenly since it started, I finally test drove the Tiago today. I finally found the time to visit Concorde motors and drive the car.

I drove the petrol XZ. This was also the first time that I sat in the car. I was very impressed with the way the interiors look and feel. Almost everything that is touch and feel is good except for the AC knobs. They just don't have the tactile feedback that matches the rest of the car's quality.

The driving experience was a mixed bag: the engine gearbox and steering were unremarkable. I say unremarkable in a positive sense - the experience seemed about as good as most cars in its class so it meets the expectations of a modern car. The negatives for me were the noisy engine and the shaking great lever at idle. It wasn't bad but compared to Suzuki's K series engines or Hyundai's Kappa engine it lacks refinement. But I was impressed a lot with the quietness and bump damping ability of the suspension.

On balance I was sufficiently impressed with the Tiago to consider it as my next car. The sales guy said the waiting period is about 4 to 6 weeks. My purchase horizon is about 4 months so I'm also considering the Ford Figo and the soon to be facelifted Hyundai grand i10.

What do you guys think?
Old 3rd December 2016, 16:54   #1290
BANNED

My word of congrats to all the Tiago owners. My question is directed specifically to the XT and XZ owners.
The Harman Kardon ICE is indeed the best in class, it has everything good. Is it only me, or others too have felt that the door panels don't do justice to this awesome ICE system? My friend has got an XT petrol, and it's literally a horrible feeling to listen to the ICE at medium to high bass at even medium volume levels. It seems like every door panel rattles madly. Any solution to the problem; if anyone has got this issue resolved?
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks