Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2016, 00:32   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Anything related to a Tata badge scares me, maybe its because I've never had a positive experience with any of their products.. the Docomo stopped working within 2 months, their wireless landline conked out within 2 months, terrible experience of buying a gift watch from their store, Eureka Forbes conking out etc etc.

Now many of you will ask me what do all these above products have in connection with Tata Motors, a car making division and I've to say there is no connection, just elaborating my reservation for the brand name in general. As for Tata Motors, my experience is strictly in the back seat of the Indica and Indigo.. yes not much as they were cabs and quite old at that. The ride was a little rickety in both with extremely poor refinement, also I felt visually was the lack of styling change with every model facelift.. yes the 1st gen, 2nd gen and 3rd looked EXACTLY the same silhouette wise atleast with minor interior tweaks. I've read very positive reviews about the Zest and Bolt with respect to segment leading value and going by the specs I have to agree, but still I felt the both would tank due to almost same design of Zest (Indigo CS) and Bolt (Indica) and they did.

The Tiago appeared to be cursed from the start (delayed release, endless teasers without a sign of the actual product, name change problems etc), but after reading this review I can say my perception has changed. This is the true GenX of Tata, a sign of things to come, a complete revamp of exterior and interior designs (finally!). There appears to be no shortcuts or trimmings in this car which even big brands like Honda are doing nowadays. Fantastic specs and I mean that, stuff like illuminated power window switches, 8 speaker Harman audio!!??, driving modes, parking sensor with display are segment firsts. If Celerio is the competition, Tiago will win and how. Going by the specs I've no doubt that Zest & Bolt are well built and Tiago follows that tradition. The styling is truly a breath of fresh air with a clean, proportional design and an optimum mix of lines & curves. This one at the current prices will upset a lot of the competition and force a pricing war no less.

At the end of the day no matter what the perceptions may be, if real efforts are taken followed by a practical approach to building a car, those perceptions will change in no time. All that India needs today are small, fuel-efficient, stylish cars and every effort towards that end will get my respect. Tiago will be a game changer.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 12:32   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
In that case the gap between Celerio diesel (2 cylinder) and Figo Diesel is even closer considering that the Tiago diesel is cheaper than the Celerio diesel. The Celerio still sells speaks a lot about the negative reputation which Ford has in terms of 'After sales Service' and 'cost of spares'. IMHO Tiago being a segment lower and Tata's 'Cost of ownership' being similar to Maruti is going to favor the Tiago. The puritans and enthusiasts may still buy the Figo but the practical masses may stick with other options.
Yeah, I was just thinking from an enthusiast's perspective. I had totally forgotten about the Celerio diesel because that 'car' doesn't exist for me
Just goes to show how much people value the brand. If someone other than MS/H/H had sold a car with that excuse of an engine, they'd not even have sold 10 units per month. Forget the diesel, that joke of an engine would have harmed the petrol sales as well making the car a dud
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 14:31   #483
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Very surprisingly, the number of Tiago dispatches to dealers is being shown as nil for the month of March 2016. I thought Tata had already dispatched quite a few Tiagos to dealers in March itself.

I guess Tata have begun the invoicing of Tiagos only in the month of April, after the close of FY 2015-2016.

Despite all the delays, Tata have created quite a flutter in the segment by launching the Tiago at mouth-watering prices (even if they're introductory). I think Tiago will become the best selling Tata passenger vehicle in April.

The Zest, Bolt & Nano GenX managed to stop the decline in monthly sales numbers for Tata. They'll be looking to increase the numbers with the Tiago, Kite 5, Hexa & Nexon.

The Tiago has created some anxiety among competitors. It's the old i10 that is looking hopeless in any comparison now, thanks to Hyundai's sheer stupidity in selling the car without airbags or ABS or even Bluetooth functionality on any variant now (after the 1.2 litre engine was discontinued). The old i10 doesn't have a diesel option either. It's time for the fools at Hyundai to stop selling the old i10 to private buyers, and sell it only as a "taxi special" (with a CNG kit) henceforth. The Grand i10 also needs some immediate correction in its feature list (inclusion of airbags & ABS on lower variants) along with a facelift and introduction of the 1.0 Kappa motor on lower variants to replace the old i10 for the private market.

Maruti Suzuki must also be worried about the Celerio diesel now. The Celerio petrol (including AMT variants) should hold on to its sales numbers, thanks to the successful tall boy practicality + fuel efficiency (+ AMT convenience) + ubiquitous sales & support formula used by the country's largest carmaker. But that stupid 2-pot 0.8 litre DDiS 125 diesel isn't doing the Celerio any favours now. It's time for Maruti Suzuki to take the DDiS 125 out of the Celerio and put it under the hood of the Alto & under the front seats of the Eeco. Maruti Suzuki are deliberately treating the Ritz quite badly, for reasons best known to them. It's better they sell it as a "taxi special" as well, for Ola operators seem to be lapping up the Ritz now.

The poor Beat, already a victim of Chevrolet's shocking lethargy and worrisome attitude towards the Indian market, will only suffer more after the Tiago's introduction. India isn't getting the next generation Beat either, but only a facelift based on the current generation. It may not do much to revive the Beat's fortunes.

A Honda fan who is looking at the Brio may never consider the Tiago, but it can safely be said that that the Tiago's interior is a much better place than the Brio's. Who would have thought? Honda need to plonk in the BR-V derived Amaze dashboard into the Brio soon.

Even Ford has some reason to be worried about the superbly equipped new Figo. It may be the best equipped mainstream hatchback in terms of safety features, but it hasn't exactly set the sales charts on fire, and there is some resemblance between the Figo & Tiago (especially from the side & rear). Ford need to immediately rework the 1.2 Ti-VCT (re-map it to make it more linear & free-revving without any dull range in the powerband, with some minor hardare tweaks & altered gear ratios, if necessary). They have to market the Figo (& Aspire) better and make all variants available off-the-shelf at all dealers.

Even if it doesn't set the sales charts on fire, Tata have done what it takes to create a big flutter by pricing the Tiago so competitively. Competitors will be forced to offer better value with their offerings, and that can only be a good thing for the customers of all brands in the end.

Last edited by RSR : 11th April 2016 at 14:40.
RSR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 14:50   #484
BHPian

I got a good look & a short test drive of Tiago at Express Avenue Mall in Chennai yesterday. Short feedback:
  • Superb new Revotron petrol engine, betters the Zest, though 3-Cyl
  • Silent, great acceleration, excellent economy
  • Zippy drive, best driver's hatch under 10 lakhs
  • Zest had shortcoming of storage spaces, fixed in Tiago
  • Rear seat ok for 5 adults for short rides, perfect for 4 + kid
  • Music system superb as expected
  • Boot space OK, normal level for this segment
  • Rear seat folds down once, not twice

If I were in the market for a hatchback, would buy this in a blink

Last edited by gsurya : 11th April 2016 at 14:53.
Old 11th April 2016, 15:18   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
... Maruti Suzuki are deliberately treating the Ritz quite badly, for reasons best known to them. It's better they sell it as a "taxi special" as well, for Ola operators seem to be lapping up the Ritz now.
I have been hearing ads on radio for Maruti Suzuki Ritz Tour (named similar to DZire Tour), aimed at the fleet/taxi segment, from the past week.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 16:53   #486
BHPian

Tata Tiago official accessory price list in chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20160411wa0000.jpg  

Ponbaarathi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 19:45   #487
BHPian

Holding introductory price of Tiago is difficult: Tata Motors

Quote:
Auto major Tata Motors today said it is difficult to carry on with the introductory price of its newly launched hatchback Tiago.

"Holding to this price is difficult," Tata Motors Ltd, VP sales and network (passenger vehicles) S N Barman said here today at launch of Tiago in city.

He declined to speak further on how long the introductory price could continue.

"The current market share in hatchback is 3.5 per cent. The total A2 segment sales was 13.6 lakh last fiscal. Overall car market share of Tata Motors is around 5.6 per cent," company officials said.

Tata Motors was also expanding its dealership footprint and propose to double the dealership and outlets from 596 in the next three years, Barman said.

Barman said the company will launch three car models in the next 12-18 months.
Economic Times article
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 21:03   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
[*]Rear seat ok for 5 adults for short rides, perfect for 4 + kid
Did I read that right? Or do you mean this for the whole car?
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 21:07   #489
BHPian

Finally got a TD of the Fantastico Tiago.

CLASS. Brilliant stuff. Take a bow Tata. Absolutely well done.
What can I say that's not already written.

Exemplary interiors and quality for this price. Beats the competition hollow on that front.
Ride quality was very plush. Comparable to a class higher.
Music system - least important for me in a car - but executed brilliantly. Fell in love with it. Manza feels inadequate there and Nano feels like a slap to my aural senses. Brilliant !

I did not have ANY issues with NVH inside the car. NONE. Inface lower than my diesel Manza.
Smooth linear drive. Chuckable. Light. Sprinty. (except in ECO mode).
Fit finish are excellent.

So why didn't I book it already ?

Well call me stupid ... but now I am in love with the Kite 5. That boot looks superbly integrated and gets Automatic Climate Control too !
Give the supremely competitive pricing of the Tiago, I feel the Kite 5 will be priced aggressively too. & it's still a CS !
That and I still don't feel like giving up my Nano. Infact still thinking of replacing it with a new GenX Nano. Because there really isn't a better CITY car. And I have the Manza for highway duties.

I know the comparison isn't fair. And this time I am in a mess. Just not able to choose or decide.
To be brutally honest - there is no NEED of changing cars in the home, it's just that the TIAGO has created the WANT in our hearts !

TATA - GREAT JOB. Attention to detail. Nifty features. Better and more enthusiastic sales staff. Clever use and display of accessories by sales staff at Dealers (Concorde, Prabhadevi). Full marks to their follow ups and energy levels on a late Sunday evening.

GREAT GREAT improvement. Leaps ahead in ALL departments. Almost nothing missed out.

Only one issue - your sales guys still don't know what to talk and what to say. Tey don't know half the features. They are not up to date. Maybe I am nitpicking because I am a Team BHPian and spoiled by the details in the official reviews.
For example - this one sales guy was very very nicely explaining the importance of a pre-tensioner seat belt to a young educated couple. This other guy was patiently answering every query of a 65+ year, not so well-dressed man with equal aplomb.
But - when I asked this one guy if the car had a 'lane change indicator' feature - he paused and confidently said NO. & I proved him wrong on the spot !.
They were also not aware of what parts can 'painted' inside the cabin.

What I am trying to say is - SALES experience has VASTLY IMPROVED in the showroom. The feel and eagerness of the staff. But their finesse and actual knowledge of the product still has some way to go. (I am sure they will get there, efforts are on).

Well done TATA. Good job. Little better service, stay consistent with these efforts and bring in those awesome products like a bomb after bomb - and you will deservingly climb your way back up the ladder.
Thank you for making things better for the consumers.
Thank you for making a full hearted effort. Finally.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 21:10   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Did I read that right? Or do you mean this for the whole car?
Sorry, my bad. Indeed for the whole car.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 00:45   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
So why didn't I book it already ?

Well call me stupid ... but now I am in love with the Kite 5. That boot looks superbly integrated and gets Automatic Climate Control too !
Give the supremely competitive pricing of the Tiago, I feel the Kite 5 will be priced aggressively too. & it's still a CS !
That and I still don't feel like giving up my Nano. Infact still thinking of replacing it with a new GenX Nano. Because there really isn't a better CITY car. And I have the Manza for highway duties.

I know the comparison isn't fair. And this time I am in a mess. Just not able to choose or decide.
To be brutally honest - there is no NEED of changing cars in the home, it's just that the TIAGO has created the WANT in our hearts !
Dr, nice quick review. I have been looking for your review since the prices were announced for Tiago.

I think Tiago's prices would be soon increased if Tata can get decent number of bookings in the first 3-4 months. Which does not leave much scope for Kite 5 to be priced so competitively as Tiago.
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 00:54   #492
BHPian

Visited Tata showroom today and Tiago was on display. More accurately, there was a single car for test drive serving display function too by the side. It was XZ variant in petrol. Unfortunately though, the car was yet to be registered and only a small test drive within the compound was possible, so went ahead with that. My observations -

1. Nice looks and proportions. But certain resemblance with Figo/Grand i10 takes away the novelty factor.
2. Good built quality & excellent interior (observed already by many). Impressed with the quality of stalks and ORVM.
3. Harman Kardon (or is it just Harman, as displayed over screen) music system should make a big differentiator between lower and higher trims of Tiago.
4. Though its not fair to comment on engine performance based on such a small drive in controlled condition, Kappa & K12 seem ahead in peppiness. However, still ready to change my views if a proper test drive indicates otherwise.
5. Drive was plush and all speed breakers and undulations within the compound were tackled smoothly. Pushed the car sharply into a couple of corners and it was very steady.

A bit OT from here but did something more post it. Right after the Tiago drive, jumped into a test-drive Bolt standing there. First thing realised was that Tiago indeed is a compact hatch. Bolt, in comparison, felt like a sedan from inside. The interior quality of both the cars were comparable too. Most importantly, Bolt's petrol engine seemed more rev-happy and peppy in comparison.

Came out with feeling of admiration for Bolt along with part admiration for Tiago. I just wish Tata had given some more thought while designing the exterior of Bolt.

Last edited by rsm97 : 12th April 2016 at 00:59.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 10:01   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Today morning's newspaper carried a Tiago VR cardboard with a link to a Virtual video on Youtube.
The video explains all the features of the car in detail.
A good new-age advertising strategy. Well done Tata

Tata Tiago : Official Review-3.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-2.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-1.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 10:03   #494
BHPian

Today morning TOI - VR Goggles posted by Tata Motors to enjoy the Tiago Virtual Drive !!!

FANTASTICO TATA.

I was planning on buying the Lenovo K4 Note just to enjoy the VR drive video (or atleast the Goggles). Then I thought I will make a Google Cardboard one during the summer. Would make for a good DIY project.

But Tata provided one! To everyone. This is absolutely a NEW concept for so many many Indians.

We always complain about Tata and their Marketing. This time they have outdone themselves. There was a 'key' with the Zest. A 'card' with the Bolt. But this takes the cake. An actual utilitarian tool that can be used later and something that really provides a new and novel experience.

Way to go TATA.

A couple of years ago - there was a whole thread on Honda on TeamBHP. Honda India - the way forward. Honda was in the pits. Down, but not out. They came back with ONE great engine and 3 cars that look similar in the front and in the dash layout.

Great work TATA for showing us that you are still hungry for success, that there is no complacence and that you listen to the customers and you are willing to FIGHT back by pumping in so much money in the 'small hatch' segment.
A segment Toyota has bowed out of, Skoda does not want to touch, Mahindra too has failed.
Great effort in terms of product and marketing. Decent effort with sales too.
Things are improving at service level too - but only time will tell bear testimony to that as owners of Tiago voice themselves about better service than those being received by Zest & Nano GenX guys (which is already better than what we used to get - Indica and Manza days)

Guys - grab the VR Goggles - they will serve as a useful tool for many other videos too.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-20160412-09.54.45.jpg

Link to the Tata Tiago Virtual Drive video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today morning's newspaper carried a Tiago VR cardboard with a link to a Virtual video on Youtube.
Beat me to it by 2 minutes !

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 12th April 2016 at 10:06.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 10:06   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Attachment 1495958

Attachment 1495959

Attachment 1495960
This is excellent strategy. Reminds me of what VW did some years back with a talking advert via speaker in the dailies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks