Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 08:58   #2521

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
You may want to change the measurement to kms/litre in the menu which is more suitable for India
I do a mental conversion for the mileage, but was curious when I saw a 9-10 kmpl. Kept it at the per 100km setting intentionally for now. Maybe the novelty will wear off soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Well, Banglore traffic is not city traffic any longer I believe, some other terms need to be found for such traffic probably. I have mentioned my experience mostly in Chandigarh and Gurgaon occasionally but I don't drive to work at Gurgaon so hardly get peak traffic. In Chandigarh traffic is still low except some peak hours which I avoid.

You are getting around 7,25 Kmpl which looks Ok if your routine is bumper traffic in Banglore. Perhaps you can take her out on a long drive sometime and then measure mileage.

Yes, this feature is available on many cars and denotes instantaneous average, when you accelerate, more fuel is consumed so you see mileage going down to 30L/100 meaning 3,3 Kmpl whereas when you are not pushing the accelerator, fuel is consumed much less so it drops to 2L/100 i.e 20 Kmpl.

as rightly suggested by nareshtrao, you should change units in settings for easy understanding.
It makes sense that the "Urban Crawl" figures will look bad.

I did take the car out for a few drives on the airport road which offers faster speeds and I see that the averages improve. I even tried to game the system after a full tank by not accelerating and the trip computer showed my average at 7 litres to a hundred.

Just having fun learning what the car can do. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 27th September 2017, 09:12   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Well, Banglore traffic is not city traffic any longer I believe, some other terms need to be found for such traffic probably. I have mentioned my experience mostly in Chandigarh and Gurgaon occasionally but I don't drive to work at Gurgaon so hardly get peak traffic. In Chandigarh traffic is still low except some peak hours which I avoid.

You are getting around 7,25 Kmpl which looks Ok if your routine is bumper traffic in Banglore. Perhaps you can take her out on a long drive sometime and then measure mileage.
Right said. The traffic here at times (or more often) is so bad that a distance of 5.5 kms to office takes me over an hour. At times I say in zest that "I drove the fastest today in my building basement" - essentially the average speeds are lower than 10-15 kmph. This is more like the legendary Bangkok traffic of yester-years where people used to carry lunch boxes and potties with them in the cars as they were stuck for hours.

I get around 6.5 to 7.0 max in city here in Bangalore. At times if the entire tankful has been through crawling traffic it drops as low as 5.8 to 6.0. However, on outstation drives, I do get around 10.5 despite speeds around and over 120/130.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 27th September 2017 at 09:14.
Old 27th September 2017, 11:34   #2523
BHPian

Hello dear Endeavour owners, I am the guy who has been PMing many of you regarding crucial aspects of the car. And I thank everybody for replying. You guys rock! Another conclusion was that the initial investment was high but service costs were low, which is great for a vehicle of this price.

I test drove both Endy and T-Fort yesterday and have concluded that Endy is an "upgrade" from my XUV whereas the T-Fort just seemed like its only 20% better overall.
With the thorough research and also extensive TD, its very clear that T-Fort and Endy are no match as the Endy is 2 levels above in all aspects except the fuel economy.
So I have ruled out the T-Fort and my choices are -
1. Keep the XUV for 6 months or atleast until the new endeavour comes or any other better new 7 seater 4X4 SUV comes along. (such as maybe the Kodiaq)
2. Or go ahead and take the plunge and book the Endy. (currently decided to book it next week as of now, waiting for Diwali discounts)

So the only thing that has me really worried with Endy are -

1. What if I get only 4-5 kmpl in city and 7-8 kmpl on highway. Even 6 kmpl in city feels uneasy. Going to fuel station at every 500 kms in this car feels frustrating as well.

2. What if fuel prices which are currently at INR 59 in bangalore shoot up to say INR 80-90 in a few years? fuel costs upwards of INR 10 to 15 per km is something to be afraid of.

3. What if Ford launches the new Endy with maybe better fuel economy, darker interior and even more features within a few months of buying the Endy.

4. What if I get less than half of the investment on Endy after 3 years, say at ~15L INR.

Can somebody guesstimate some answers

Last edited by Aniket6 : 27th September 2017 at 11:36.
Aniket6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 12:38   #2524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry but I think you need some break from your work and need to spend time on your well-being. Can you tell me why did we come on Earth? and what will happen to us after we die?

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th September 2017 at 13:02.
Turbanator is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 19:07   #2525
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Aniket6;4276984

Can somebody guesstimate some answers[/QUOTE]

Hi. It seems you are confused.
You are right that the endeavour is a better vehicle than Fortuner. But at the same time Fortuner will have a better resale value.

Coming to service then Ford has definitely improved a lot and trying their best to satisfy the customers 100%. At the same time don't forget that newer cars, even less than 15 lakh cars are complicated electronically and with ECU it becomes difficult sometimes to detect problems.

Coming to mileage and all, then this is a 3.2 litre engine with raw power of 470nm of torque. So don't expect too much. The only frustrating thing is that you have to refill every 500 odd kms.

This vehicle is not built or meant for regular city drives or for going to office and all. It's meant for highway drives, off roading, road expeditions, long drives etc. On the other hand if you use it for city drive in bumper to bumper traffic, it is still very comfortable with automatic gear box and electronically assisted power steering which is far superior to the normal power steering.

If you still love the vehicle and are concerned about mileage then go for the 2.2 Litre titanium which is also a good one but you won't get 4x4.

If you are a passionate driver who goes for long drives, one off off roading, long family drives then go for the vehicle. If it's going to be a chauffeur driven vehicle then go for Fortuner.

Last thing, most of the people who buy such vehicles are passionate about their vehicle and don't see the low mileage. They mainly see the low mileage to guess if there is a problem with the vehicle.

Please see the numerous videos on YouTube.

All the best.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 22:02   #2526
BHPian

Post GST Price increase for Chennai.

Endeavour 3.2 Titanium is Rs. 38.26 lacs and lesser by Rs.1.2 lacs in comparison to Fortuner 4x4 AT.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_0180.jpg
couswheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 22:51   #2527
BHPian

Interesting to note that the lovely Golden Bronze shade has been discontinued on the website (and taken down from their eBrochure as well)

https://www.india.ford.com/suvs/endeavour/gallery/
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford-endeavour.jpg

but it is still lurking on one of their pages
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford-endeavour1.jpg

Last edited by uday.ere : 27th September 2017 at 23:07.
uday.ere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 23:46   #2528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
So the only thing that has me really worried with Endy are -

1. What if I get only 4-5 kmpl in city and 7-8 kmpl on highway. Even 6 kmpl in city feels uneasy. Going to fuel station at every 500 kms in this car feels frustrating as well.

2. What if fuel prices which are currently at INR 59 in bangalore shoot up to say INR 80-90 in a few years? fuel costs upwards of INR 10 to 15 per km is something to be afraid of.

3. What if Ford launches the new Endy with maybe better fuel economy, darker interior and even more features within a few months of buying the Endy.

4. What if I get less than half of the investment on Endy after 3 years, say at ~15L INR.

Some more what ifs:
What if World War III happened? You can drive faster than most cars in the Endeavour and go off road in case the roads are jammed.

What if there is a traffic jam in the city? You can use rock mode and climb over everyone.

I bought a new Endeavour, and two days after, the rear differential had a problem and Ford said it malfunctioned with unusual noises. Ford replaced the entire differential assembly under warranty, period. I actually followed the entire PDI checklist from Team BHP during the inspection, but this problem was only evident after driving it for a couple of days. What else could I really do in the pre-delivery inspection? Nothing.

While problems can be unforeseen, Ford seems to be doing their best to keep customers with Endeavours happy. I cannot comment if they are doing the same for the lower segment cars in their lineup.

If you wait for the perfect car with the perfect mileage and perfect power with cheaper fuel, maybe you will pick up a mass produced electric SUV in the future.

About new models, its like Apple keeps releasing a new laptop every year.

I have done about 1000km with 150litres of diesel but my take from owning the car for a month and a half: I LOVE IT!
rreiki is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 06:18   #2529
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry but I think you need some break from your work and need to spend time on your well-being. Can you tell me why did we come on Earth? and what will happen to us after we die?
Could'nt agree more

Quote:
Not clear if you really need to change the vehicle. With the research you did and the conclusions therein, I would recommend you wait till the next version comes, which will be in all probability in 2018-19 and then assess if this ticks all your boxes.
nareshtrao is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 09:07   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Right said. The traffic here at times (or more often) is so bad that a distance of 5.5 kms to office takes me over an hour. At times I say in zest that "I drove the fastest today in my building basement" - essentially the average speeds are lower than 10-15 kmph. This is more like the legendary Bangkok traffic of yester-years where people used to carry lunch boxes and potties with them in the cars as they were stuck for hours.

I get around 6.5 to 7.0 max in city here in Bangalore. At times if the entire tankful has been through crawling traffic it drops as low as 5.8 to 6.0. However, on outstation drives, I do get around 10.5 despite speeds around and over 120/130.

Very Similar, I don't get more than 6.3 Kmpl in the city and 10-11 at most on highways.
Old 28th September 2017, 13:39   #2531
BHPian

I guess I did not come across correctly. Just to explain a little more in Q&A style -

Q - If you cant afford fuel costs, why do you want to buy the Endy?
A - I can totally afford to buy and run it good, just taking a little while to get around the fact of 6 kmpl (I come from a very humble background, moving up in life since last few years), on top of which I do drive with a heavy foot.
Moreover, 80% of my running is on the highway.

Q - If you can afford, why worry?
A - I owned a used Fiesta from 2007 to 2013. Between time of buying and selling, petrol costs had increased drastically, almost Rs. 25 IIRC. The after sales experience from Ford during then was not great either.
Rising fuel costs forced me to sell my 1st love. The low fuel economy and Ford's avg reputation then ensured a very low price when I was selling it.

Q - What other concerns do you have?
A - After I sold the fiesta, I bought a pre-owned Optra. Had nightmare of a ownership experience and I sold it in 16 months at a low price. This car's resale value sucked. Swore never again to buy a Chevy again.

Q - What happened next?
A - I bought the XUV and run it for 53k and 3 years without a single niggle and awesome after sales experience. Resale value is good as well and most importantly, this SUV has been a hoot to drive and every mile has been so nice.
But Mahindra launched the much improved and even more feature laden XUV priced not much higher in just a few month after I bought mine by paying 18L. Dont want the same to happen again with Endy. Hence, that doubt.

Q - If so, why do you want to upgrade?
A - Loved the awesome ride quality in Endy, the power and all the features. Also, we usage of 6th and 7th seats increased in recent past and Endy has more space with 6/7 seats occupied.
It does have immense desire-ability factor as well. Love at 1st sight
Aniket6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 22:31   #2532
Senior - BHPian

Good day Anikhet6.
It seems initially you were confused. And now with your 2nd post it seems you have all the answers to your own questions.
So bottom line is if you like the vehicle so much just go for it and I am sure you will not regret it. If your running is primarily highway then you don't need to look at the mileage at all.
This is a wonderful vehicle which you can pamper and at the same time use it rough.
Best of luck.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 23:54   #2533
BHPian

On the contrary, I feel Anikhet has so many doubts in his mind that he would never actually enjoy the purchase. More likely than not, he is going to be spending more time worrying about the suv'smileage, fuel prices and impending new model releases etc, than actually enjoying the ownership. And ever so often he will regret his decision on one pretext or the other.
My advice to you buddy. Wait for fuel prices to stabalize for good, at least a few more new versions of the suv to be released and all confusions about the future of diesel vehicles / electric cars etc to be resolved. ONLY THEN, that too after carefully considering the factors existing at that point in time, should you take the plunge.
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 00:16   #2534
BANNED

Quote:
A - I can totally afford to buy and run it good, just taking a little while to get around the fact of 6 kmpl (I come from a very humble background, moving up in life since last few years), on top of which I do drive with a heavy foot.
Moreover, 80% of my running is on the highway.

The low fuel economy and Ford's avg reputation then ensured a very low price when I was selling it.

Q - What happened next?
A - I bought the XUV and run it for 53k and 3 years without a single niggle and awesome after sales experience. Resale value is good as well and most importantly, this SUV has been a hoot to drive and every mile has been so nice.

Q - If so, why do you want to upgrade?
A - Loved the awesome ride quality in Endy, the power and all the features. Also, we usage of 6th and 7th seats increased in recent past and Endy has more space with 6/7 seats occupied.
It does have immense desire-ability factor as well. Love at 1st sight
I kinda understand your concerns since they are pretty similar to mine. Let me put in my thoughts to it, see if it helps.

1. FE Low FE sucks, there is no doubt about that, and for highway runs, you dont need something as thirsty as the Endy. Get an aerodynamic, well built sedan which will offer you more power and better FE, not to mention far greater driving pleasure.

2. Brand & resale It looks like you had a great run with the XUV, why not get the updated one once it is launched?

3. 7 seats. The Endy is NOT a 6/7 seater by any standards, much like most of its competition. The middle seat of the 2nd row too isn't very welcoming.
4. Desirability. This is personal but going by what you said and have experienced, I m pretty sure it will die out pretty soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
On the contrary, I feel Anikhet has so many doubts in his mind that he would never actually enjoy the purchase.

Bang On...!!!
n.devdath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 07:54   #2535
BHPian

Wow, thanks a lot for your valuable inputs but we are not on the same page and it is not worth posting further on the topic.
Let me see what deal I'll get next week for festival season.
If it's good deal and I can sell my xuv soon, then I'll buy now. Otherwise I'll wait for auto expo to see if they launch the new one. Let's see how kodiaq is as well.
Aniket6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks