Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2017, 19:50   #1771

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

I have driven my endy close to 6500 kms so far. Last month while driving up the kalatti ghat road with a fully loaded car plus two adults and two children, the mileage I got was around 4kms per litre. Otherwise on an average I have been getting around 10 to 11 kms on the highway and around 8 kms in chennai city traffic.

There was some levelling issue with the headlights though and I have got it re-adjusted and it seems to be working fine until now.
My only complain that I had also mentioned in one of my posts earlier , is the wind noise or rather a sharp whistling sound that comes from the front of the car when it crosses 80kms speed. Had brought it to the notice of Hans ford but they weren't even able to figure out the problem.

Last week while driving back from Tirunelveli I realised that when I tail some vehicle that noise disappears and the moment I move sidewards in an attempt to overtake the noise reappears again.

When it rains that whistling noise definately stops and once it ceases to rain it reappears again in a few minutes as the car dries up.
That whistling noise, however low pitched it might be is still annoying in an otherwise silent cabin.

Does anyone have any clue on what could cause that whistling sound? I am sure it's not from the sunroof or the door. It appears to come from somewhere in the front.
Thanks.
ruff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 20:58   #1772
Team-BHP Support

Here's the list of all problems being faced/reported by owners in Austraila, I have copied from

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...8&postcount=12

We can surely co-relate many with similar problems here.

1.Faulty Crank position sensor - random engine shutdown or hard starting.

2. Rear engine oil seal leak.

3. Water leak on sunroof and random places(doors and panels.)

4. Rear door rubber seal falling off.

5. Misaligned rear spoiler and doors and crack on body seams.

6. CEL due to failed EGR valve.

7. Random advance track or powertrain error.

8. Bubbles(can lead to rust) on paint on doors and tailgate edges and seems.

9. Transmission jerk from 5th gear going to 6th gear.

10. Loose or broken oil cooler hose.

11. Random sync 2 error for S2 users.

12. Skipping wiper blade.

13. 10min oil drain rule is still applicable.

14. Auto levelling HL issue.

15. Squealing brakes due to cracked brake pads and damaged pistons.

16. Broken driver power seat.

17. Rough idle(bounces from 700-800rpm) on 3.2 engine while a/c is off.

18. Whistles/wind noise at speed over 120kph. Some reports as low as 70kph.

19. 20" oem good year tire weak sidewall.

20. Moist in windshield especially during humid cold weather due to leaking air in dashboard vent.

21. Vibration in accel pedal.

22. Leak in rear pinion oil seal

23. Leak in transmission oil seal(going rear axle.)

24. Cracked-in-half belt idler pulley.

25. Peeled off propeller shaft sticker rubbing in body causing noise.

26. Broken Flexible exhaust pipe.

27. Loose nut on one of the A/C line connections.

28. Low oil level/improperly filed fluid. A case in ours completely killed the tranny is less than 200kms.

Quote:
Last month while driving up the kalatti ghat road with a fully loaded car plus two adults and two children, the mileage I got was around 4kms per litre.
That's too low, perhaps you were driving in high RPMs. I recently drove to Simla via Chail, roads were packed due to weekend rush. Did 240 Km in 8 hours but average was 9 +
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-8.55.52-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th February 2017 at 21:05.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 23:52   #1773
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Ouch! that's a long list. Exactly what I was worried about; that made me steer clear from the Blue Oval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

6. CEL due to failed EGR valve.

8. Bubbles(can lead to rust) on paint on doors and tailgate edges and seems.

9. Transmission jerk from 5th gear going to 6th gear.
I can relate to these three problems while owning the previous generation Endy. The CEL was always on during the last 12K kms of ownership. The failing EGR Valve had plagued the previous generation Endy and its sad that this has carried on to the next generation.

The CEL was always on after 33K kms.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screenshot_20170211234621.png

Quote:
That's too low, perhaps you were driving in high RPMs. I recently drove to Simla via Chail, roads were packed due to weekend rush. Did 240 Km in 8 hours but average was 9 +
That's great mileage to a 3.2L beast, especially driving up the mountains.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 10:27   #1774
BHPian

My Endy ( Trend 2.2 Auto ) came home in December and i have not managed to get it cross 1000 km until yesterday. Due to work pressures and other reasons i have not been able to put together my experiences. I have two issues ( or worries ).

1. It takes two three cranks to start every day, even after a 400 km run that got completed 12 hours before. At that time warning pops up that the battery is weak. I plan to pitch for a battery replacement. I am worried if it is any indication of deeper electrical issues in the car

2. Where does the condensed water get released from the car? Is it behind the rear wheels? I should say that i have not yet verified if it is just water or anything else that is dropping, but i did notice that couple of times and have not been able to ascertain the nature of fluid

-tortoise
Old 12th February 2017, 11:25   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
My Endy ( Trend 2.2 Auto ) came home in December and i have not managed to get it cross 1000 km until yesterday. Due to work pressures and other reasons i have not been able to put together my experiences. I have two issues ( or worries ).

1. It takes two three cranks to start every day, even after a 400 km run that got completed 12 hours before. At that time warning pops up that the battery is weak. I plan to pitch for a battery replacement. I am worried if it is any indication of deeper electrical issues in the car

2. Where does the condensed water get released from the car? Is it behind the rear wheels? I should say that i have not yet verified if it is just water or anything else that is dropping, but i did notice that couple of times and have not been able to ascertain the nature of fluid

-tortoise
1) Did you report to the service center ? They are very proactive in dealing with customers (especially Endeavour) or that's my experience in Hyderabad. Too early for the battery to be weak naturally. There are times when the car is not started for at least a week in a month but starts at first crank without any hesitation. Also, the service center gives you a progress report every time you visit them (for regular service) with parameters like, brake condition, battery condition, errors reported, alignment and so on, please get it checked.

2) Yes, the water gets released near the rear wheel well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, in general our tendency is to give 10/10 when feedback calls come, but don't ever do that out of sympathy or relationship. If you are not satisfied with your service please say so and the dealership will take care of it. Ford is very strict on customer satisfaction and they are taking it seriously.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition I had a personal chat with Mr. Babukhan who owns Vibrant Automobiles group and he gave his contact details; said if you have an issue, please don't hesitate to let me know. My job is to make sure customer is happy. Hopefully i won't have issues to report.
I have seen rust issues in Pajero SFX, Sport and Fortuner. Pretty much newer cars (1-2 years old) and everyone had a different reason, some blamed the customers for bad usage, some blamed the manufacturer. That's one of the reason why i went for a new car, which is a huge dent on my pocket.

Interestingly, there are complaints listed for Toyota Fortuner online but very less for Pajero sport. I so wish the Mitsubishi dealer (pride mitsubishi) retained their staff and followed up regularly, Pajero was always my first choice.

On overall reliability (as of today - the new endeavour needs to prove over time)

1) Pajero Sport
2) Toyota Fortuner
3) Ford Endeavour

Overall Value for money (features, service costs)

1) Ford Endeavour
2) Toyota Fortuner
3) Pajero Sport

Sunroof's are prone to leakage over time. One of our senior members also shared his inputs on the usage of Sunroof in india (in this thread itself but can't see) - so if you do not need a sunroof, don't ever have that option in your car. With harsh summers you are not going to use the sunroof for most of the time and our winters are not as cold as it is in Europe or USA (except some states)

To defend Ford (as of today and until major issues are reported) the troubles reported by customers are:

1) Headlight leveling issues (Titanium variants only and is fixed by replacing headlamps/leveling motors)
2) Sunroof leakage (I reported as well) - Mine was fixed by replacing the roof unit (Guess they have to change only child parts but replaced the entire unit as I was one among their initial customers and this was escalated directly to Anurag Mehrotra!)
3) Confusing mileage numbers - Hope that's clarified with the pictures and inputs shared by members turbanator, nareshtrao, sknair etc.
4) Water condensation issue - I remember dockap reporting this, anyone else faced this issue ? I have the Ac on always (including dual zone) and did not face this issue so far.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 12th February 2017 at 11:27.
sunishsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 19:05   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post

-tortoise
Point no 1.Battery weak is not normal after 400 km run .
Please get a through check done.
Also if you are planning on keeping the car idle for prolonged periods I recommend you to get a trickle charger to maintain the charge.

No 2.You are right,it is the rear wheels

Last edited by ecosport rules : 12th February 2017 at 19:10.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:19   #1777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Does anyone have any clue on what could cause that whistling sound? I am sure it's not from the sunroof or the door. It appears to come from somewhere in the front.
Thanks.
Do you keep the cabin air to external or internal circulation? If external, you can try switching on internal circulation mode and see if the whistling sound goes off. The darn cabin is otherwise so silent that it really annoys if you hear something off.

Took delivery of the Endy over the weekend and the vehicle is so darn majestic and comfy to drive around in the otherwise nerve wracking bangalore traffic.

EDIT: Need some help, especially from BLR folks, any leads on getting proper rubber mats for all 3 rows? I have 3M noodle mat as one option but any other leads? One i saw on Amazon http://www.amazon.in/Auto-Pearl-Prem...inhydr18418-21 but i hate that beige color and it says might need some modification for new endy.

Some pics of our grizzly..

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_0080.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_0082.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_0081.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th February 2017 at 11:27.
Jaggu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:05   #1778

Thanks Jaggu. Yes I did try switching it on and off but still the whistling noise did persist. In fact in my old Scorpio that had a similar issue, the noise used to dissappear once I switched over to the recirculation mode.
Old 13th February 2017, 12:55   #1779
BHPian

Did my first long drive of roughly 950 km and the car was a breeze on the highway extremely silent and ultra comfortable for 8 hours on non stop journey one side . The average i got was about 10.7 km/l which is acceptable after driving in extreme traffic conditions . Completely satisfied with my decision for Endy. Image clicked while having a quick break at the Chambal ravines.

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu. Yes I did try switching it on and off but still the whistling noise did persist. In fact in my old Scorpio that had a similar issue, the noise used to dissappear once I switched over to the recirculation mode.
the whistle note i suppose is from the speakers as the Endy is equipped with active noise cancellation technology the produces a small humming or whistling sound if im not wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_1111.jpg  

Last edited by noopster : 13th February 2017 at 13:41. Reason: Please don't post back to back, use"Edit" function instead
Deepu Sharma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 13:13   #1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
the whistle note i suppose is from the speakers as the Endy is equipped with active noise cancellation technology the produces a small humming or whistling sound if im not wrong
I am not sure. Why would the noise dissappear when it rains. And comes back a few minutes later after the rains, as the car dries up. It also disappears when I keep tailing an other vehicle.
ruff is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:05   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure. Why would the noise dissappear when it rains. And comes back a few minutes later after the rains, as the car dries up. It also disappears when I keep tailing an other vehicle.
Do you have a chance to check in another Endeavour from the same city ? I used to hear such sounds only when the sunroof was open. And the wind noise sounding like a whistle ! In addition i keep the AC in the Auto mode almost all the time, never happened to hear any noise from the blower or fan (which sometimes can sound like a whistle). Other than RD Burman and Kishore Kumar I don't hear any other sounds when the car is moving

Also, please write to the Ford Customer care, they will arrange a senior technician to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Took delivery of the Endy over the weekend and the vehicle is so darn majestic and comfy to drive around in the otherwise nerve wracking bangalore traffic.
Would be eagerly waiting for an ownership report from you. I am a bad writer but I do enjoy how the bhpians write the reviews. The color is a nice choice and wishing you happy miles.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 13th February 2017 at 14:08.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:25   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
My only complain that I had also mentioned in one of my posts earlier , is the wind noise or rather a sharp whistling sound that comes from the front of the car when it crosses 80kms speed. Had brought it to the notice of Hans ford but they weren't even able to figure out the problem.

Last week while driving back from Tirunelveli I realised that when I tail some vehicle that noise disappears and the moment I move sidewards in an attempt to overtake the noise reappears again.
Quote:
Here's the list of all problems being faced/reported by owners in Austraila, I have copied from

14. Auto levelling HL issue.

18. Whistles/wind noise at speed over 120kph. Some reports as low as 70kph.
Quote:
Do you keep the cabin air to external or internal circulation? If external, you can try switching on internal circulation mode and see if the whistling sound goes off. The darn cabin is otherwise so silent that it really annoys if you hear something off.
Even I am facing this problem of slight whistling sound above 90-100 kmph. But I hear it Only when the music if 'OFF". So, living with it for now. I Informed the same to service advisor last time when i sent the vehicle for service. But unfortunately sent the vehicle with 'MY KEY' on which i restricted the speed to 100 kmph, so they are unable to do anything. Will Escalate this issue in the next service. But from whatever research I have done on forums, It looks like couple of other ford trucks also face the same issue and its basically a design flaw. Adjusting and lubricating the liners/beading will decrease it to only some extent.

On a different note, heard of a transmission failure in one endeavour from my service centre. They told that it was drivers mistake and he slotted into 'Reverse' when the vehicle was in motion (I am not sure if its 100% or not). However they changed the gearbox under warranty and price for the same is Rs 4,00,000/-
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:46   #1783
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
he failing EGR Valve had plagued the previous generation Endy and its sad that this has carried on to the next generation.
so that looks genetic? any reasons they gave, or replacement? Mine was delivered with CEL deleted before delivery, it came back in 5 Km on way to home, SA told me that light was perhaps due to low fuel. Even after refuel and getting it re-set it came again and I spent half a day next day at the service station. They had changed two sensors- MAP & MAS one of which was faulty probably.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th February 2017 at 14:47.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 15:03   #1784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
On a different note, heard of a transmission failure in one endeavour from my service centre. They told that it was drivers mistake and he slotted into 'Reverse' when the vehicle was in motion (I am not sure if its 100% or not). However they changed the gearbox under warranty and price for the same is Rs 4,00,000/-
I think the entire unit will cost a bomb but if you get single component then it will not be costly. The challenge however is whether the service centers are equipped to fix these modern Auto Transmissions.

I am not surprised that a driver did such a mistake - and just remember this while giving the car to valet because i see them rough handling the cars with these stunts.

However, I was reading what if such a situation happens. If reverse is slotted in a modern auto gearbox transmission while in motion and it seems the cars do have "reverse inhibit options" Need to figure if the Endeavour comes with these options or not. Can experts guide here ?

More details here

Quote:
Will It Ruin My Car?
Transmissions are not meant to engage reverse while traveling forward. Sure, you can jam it in at the bottom of your driveway apron while you're still rolling a little, but even that's not the best of practices. "The safest bet is to just not do it," said Craig Renneker, Ford's Chief Engineer for transmission programs. As a way of protecting us from ourselves, automakers design a function called Reverse Inhibit into transmissions to prevent inadvertent selection of reverse. "Putting it into reverse [in modern cars] when going forward has no action at all, the car just ignores the request until you get down to a proper speed," said Renneker, using Ford's six-speed automatics as an example; "It'll just say 'hey, I know you want reverse pal, but I'm just not going to give it to you until the appropriate time.'"
Old 13th February 2017, 16:09   #1785
BHPian

Quote:

EDIT: Need some help, especially from BLR folks, any leads on getting proper rubber mats for all 3 rows? I have 3M noodle mat as one option but any other leads? One i saw on Amazon http://www.amazon.in/Auto-Pearl-Prem...inhydr18418-21 but i hate that beige color and it says might need some modification for new endy.
Try Ali express. Look for Mats suitable for RHD. I ordered one - link posted back in the thread. Perfect fit and very durable. Way better than Indian mats. Though costs close to US$ 225. Check it out and decide.
nareshtrao is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks