Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2018, 00:01   #3421
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Very Very reasonable
Engine oil is also quite reasonable. Is it Semi-synthetic?
Yes, as far as I know it is semi synthetic oil. Some owners have claimed it to be fully synthetic but it is not at all possible to provide the same at this cost. Basic service seems to be quite reasonable.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 01:15   #3422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I wouldn't recommend waiting for it, even without the new engine because: -
Thanks. Well, I almost made up my mind last month, then asked around and was told to wait. Now, what you mentioned above is quite sensible and I need to hurry may be going for the current version.

Any good link where I can see the differences between current version and the expected facelift? Saw last month a couple of news item links but those were quite sketchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
I accordingly began to study the manual in greater detail to better understand my vehicle and any exceptions that I should be prepared for. However I have been able to uncover the absence of the following features which appear to have no explanation for their non-working as my vehicle is per specifications in the manual.
Did you get a revert from Ford? Have they stopped equipping new Endy's with Navigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Tata Hexa, Mercedes GLA, Hyundai Tucson, BMW X1, Ford Endeavour, Jaguar F-Pace, Jeep Compass, Land Rover Discovery Sport.
You test drove all these cars?
And here I'm contemplating buying next upgrade to my XUV W8, almost zeroing on Endy and not yet even test driven any of these except for GLC which my colleagues forced to call for TD.

Anyways, when I was in the process of buying XUV (decision making), read your posts as you were amongst the earliest XUV-club members in TBHP. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, Sir

Quote:
Toyota Fortuner : After a long test drive on all kinds of roads I was left wondering how on earth is it the hottest selling SUV in India in this segment. I found the ride quality very bad and the body roll unacceptably high. Additionally, the engine and many features are dated and haven’t been updated for ages. IMHO, Toyota is able to sell the Fortuner in large numbers in India only because its customers belong to a third world country and have limited choice of models. Would anybody buy a Fortuner today in the US or even in Thailand?

Quote:

I did attempt to start an ownership thread soon after buying the Endy but it is still languishing in the Assembly Line section

Is your ownership thread live now? Would love to go through it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
2. However, in Endy, the Recirc does not come on by itself and hence you need to select it if you drive on dusty smoky roads. Alternatively, you can switch on the AC by using the "Recirc" button and all of it will come on as usual
In most cars, the default setting is fresh air and not Re-circulation mode.

Even When you select Auto-Mode, usually the default setting is Fresh air and you need to manually activate re-circulation in Auto mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
In the second video notice the wheel spin at the beginning as I had not locked the rear differential. As soon as I lock it the beast moves!
Brilliant!! Tempting

Last edited by ampere : 23rd September 2018 at 06:11. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 22nd September 2018, 14:20   #3423
BHPian

Long term Reliability : Ford Endeavour

Hi all , I am looking to buy a Ford Endeavour 2.2 4X2 Trend model and want to go ahead and book the car but the only thing stopping me from doing so is the long term reliability of this Vehicle .

Just to share with you , I test drove Fortuner and Endeavour 2 days ago and after driving Endeavour , I loved its strong built , the stability ,the steering feel and the overall drive of the Car .

Due to these reasons my heart is stuck on Endeavour and when I compare the OTR price of Fortuner and Endeavour , my mind too says Endeavour as there is a difference of almost 6.5-7 Lac OTR between both these cars due to the additional discount on offer on Endeavour .

I also know that New Endeavour is getting launched by end January 2019 but I am not in a position to wait .

The only thing that is stopping me buy Endeavour is its reliability as I generally keep cars for good 6-7 Years .

Please advice as to how is the reliability of Endeavour and whether its worth buying over Fortuner .

Thanks in adv.

To the mods : Before posting this thread ,I tried looking for reviews on the reliability of the current Endeavour but I did not get concrete reviews , hence I posted this thread

Last edited by ddndrive : 22nd September 2018 at 14:23.
ddndrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 15:48   #3424
Team-BHP Support

Re: Long term Reliability : Ford Endeavour

Little difficult to answer as there won't be enough examples on the Road with over 100 K. I was recently in Ahmedabad where my colleague drives a 2016 Trend Endeavour which has now done 83000 Km and the car is mostly ok though I felt some sort of vibrations from the floor on idle. There can be different reasons and not necessarily due to any issues in engine or gearbox in my opinion. I have asked him to get this checked and will update when I have more information.

Keeping everything similar, Toyota will be easier & cheaper to maintain and will get you better prices when its time to resell. If you are buying Endeavour because it's cheaper to buy more then anything else, better save more and buy Fortuner. Endeavour will be a better buy if you want something with features and is more driveable (3,2 ltr though) Having owned both, I can tell you that you won't go wrong with either and it will be down to your personal preference and criterion of deciding. If resales, maintenance does not matter much go for Endeavour, however, if you want to have the least depreciation and cheapest service go with Fortuner.
Turbanator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 21:07   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Little difficult to answer as there won't be enough examples on the Road with over 100 K. I was recently in Ahmedabad where my colleague drives a 2016 Trend Endeavour which has now done 83000 Km and the car is mostly ok though I felt some sort of vibrations from the floor on idle. There can be different reasons and not necessarily due to any issues in engine or gearbox in my opinion. I have asked him to get this checked and will update when I have more information.

Keeping everything similar, Toyota will be easier & cheaper to maintain and will get you better prices when its time to resell. If you are buying Endeavour because it's cheaper to buy more then anything else, better save more and buy Fortuner. Endeavour will be a better buy if you want something with features and is more driveable (3,2 ltr though) Having owned both, I can tell you that you won't go wrong with either and it will be down to your personal preference and criterion of deciding. If resales, maintenance does not matter much go for Endeavour, however, if you want to have the least depreciation and cheapest service go with Fortuner.
Thank you for the revert ,highly appreciated . Talking about vibrations ,I test drove 2 different Fortuners(Test drive vehicles) and in both the vehicles I felt good amount of vibrations in the drivers seat and the back seat . I was failed to understand as to how a 35 Lac rupee vehicle have so much vibrations and honestly this was one of the major reasons for not feeling that love for Fortuner, whereas while test driving the Endeavour, the vibrations were very less and it felt like a rock solid SUV .

If Fortuner was as good to drive/ride as Endeavour ,I would not mind shelling out 5-6 Lac more, as it would save me more in the long run due to low maintenance and better resale but talking about reasale , if I sell Fortuner or Endeavour after 6-7 years in Delhi ,would there be a significant difference in the resale amount between the two as 10 years old diesel cars are banned in Delhi ?

However, after seeing so many Fortuners on road, I am forced to ask you guys, Is it only me who felt so much vibrations and flimsy build quality of Fortuner ?

Need your suggestions to decide .

Thanks
ddndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:06   #3426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddndrive View Post
in both the vehicles I felt good amount of vibrations in the drivers seat and the back seat .
There is a difference between vibration due to the characteristic of the engine/ vehicle and vibration due to a fault or some failure. What you must have experienced in Fortuner is the typical clatter on Toyota engine, sometimes I wonder how did the same guys make super silent V8 on a Land Cruiser. On a Toyota, you will normally not feel any difference in a new vehicle or 50 K or 150 K which are maintained properly and probably even the abused one will be same That's the reason, Toyota commands so much re-sales.

Quote:
If Fortuner was as good to drive/ride as Endeavour ,I would not mind shelling out 5-6 Lac more, as it would save me more in the long run due to low maintenance and better resale but talking about reasale , if I sell Fortuner or Endeavour after 6-7 years in Delhi ,would there be a significant difference in the resale amount between the two as 10 years old diesel cars are banned in Delhi ?
I will say, take extended test drives of both, if someone is going to sit with you in the back or in front with you, take him/ her along. And then try to do the same route on Endeavour. Although, you as a driver are going to choose Endeavour 10 out of 10 times but do take feedback from others especially if they travel with you often. You will get a 15 Year valid RC so I don't think it will be a problem to sell at the 7-8th year. Expect FORD to lose about 25 % more compared to Fortuner ( 3,2 )

Quote:
However, after seeing so many Fortuners on road, I am forced to ask you guys, Is it only me who felt so much vibrations and flimsy build quality of Fortuner ?
It's not flimsy, just a different way. Everything is there for a purpose in Toyota, nothing extra. Every single component from switchgear to plastics is going to last much more on the Fortuner then on Endeavour. An easy way to find out, go to the workshop and have a look at a 2-Year-old Fortuner and Endeavour.

But again, if you like the driveability and overall built of Ford, go with it, they make the largest selling Truck in the world - Ford F-Series. Don't think too much about depreciation, cars are never (mostly) appreciating assets.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd September 2018 at 22:20.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:34   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If Fortuner was as good to drive/ride as Endeavour...
Lol, then Endeavour would be having zero sales

Quote:
Need your suggestions to decide .
High mileage, infinite shelf life, sedate driving: Fortuner
Low to moderate mileage, around 6 years of ownership, enthusiastic driving: Endeavour

I will go out on a limb here and say that I trust Ford cars to be a little bit safer than Toyota cars.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 23:35   #3428
BHPian

Quote:
There is a difference between vibration due to the characteristic of the engine/ vehicle and vibration due to a fault or some failure. What you must have experienced in Fortuner is the typical clatter on Toyota engine, sometimes I wonder how did the same guys make super silent V8 on a Land Cruiser. On a Toyota, you will normally not feel any difference in a new vehicle or 50 K or 150 K which are maintained properly and probably even the abused one will be same That's the reason, Toyota commands so much re-sales.
That makes me think why not Fortuner petrol . I am yet to drive it but I feel there should not be such vibrations in the petrol variant . Since the Car would not be driven more than 10K per yer , I can go for Petrol variant as well but I have heard its a gas guzzler and not sure about the resale of Petrol Fortuner .

Quote:
I will say, take extended test drives of both, if someone is going to sit with you in the back or in front with you, take him/ her along. And then try to do the same route on Endeavour. Although, you as a driver are going to choose Endeavour 10 out of 10 times but do take feedback from others especially if they travel with you often. You will get a 15 Year valid RC so I don't think it will be a problem to sell at the 7-8th year. Expect FORD to lose about 25 % more compared to Fortuner ( 3,2 )
Yes, I would take a lengthy test drive of Fortuner tomorrow for one more time and that will help me in taking a final decision as to which one to go for . But incase it is Fortuner , would Petrol make sense ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I will go out on a limb here and say that I trust Ford cars to be a little bit safer than Toyota cars.
Agreed . My wifey,who doesn't know anything about cars ,even when she sat at the back seat of Fortuner she felt it was just any other ordinary car but as soon as she took a ride in Endeavour, she felt the difference immediately . I drive my 320i on daily basis and when I drove Endeavour, I could feel similar solidity like we do in Beemers and Mercs .

Last edited by SDP : 23rd September 2018 at 07:48. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 22nd September 2018, 23:57   #3429
BHPian

There is nothing wrong with either of two cars but one thing is sure Endeavour is far better than Fortuner. I was quite open for both vehicles and my family was more inclined towards Fortuner but a quick glance and a single test drive of both was enough to finalize Endeavour. The service cost is almost same and nowadays Toyota is charging for its brand value whereas Ford is still on toes to compete with Fortuner. I will suggest you to take call based on your impressions about both cars. I choose Ford simply because I found more value in the product rather than brand. As Turbanator has mentioned these are depreciating assets so lets enjoy them to the fullest and leave the mathematical calculations/permutations/combinations aside.

Edit: Read your last post and feedback from your wife. Similar case with me as well, initially my wife went gaga over Fortuner and she was not ready to go for Endeavour. I made my decision based on the Tbhp review and GTO's comments on the brilliance of Endeavour. After experiencing both vehicles she was shocked and didn't found any bling factor in Fortuner. No gas struts for bonnet in Fortuner was the biggest disappointment as our 2011 Safari dicor also had it. There is long list of features which you can go through, but again it all depends on your requirements.

Last edited by roby_dk : 23rd September 2018 at 00:06.
roby_dk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:48   #3430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the Car would not be driven more than 10K per yer, I can go for...
TL;DR
Your low usage makes an extremely strong case for Endeavour.

====
For such low usage, you can buy just about any car and it will serve you well. Given that most cars offer 4+ yrs of warranty and you will clock about 60K km during your 6-7 years of ownership, I don't see any cost factors to influence your decision. And if you are paying 6L premium up front, it is very.. unwise.

You can calculate your ownership cost:
30K per annual service on average (this is on the higher side)
4+ yrs warranty
zero depreciation insurance during 7 years (yes it's available upto 7 years these days)
25% less resale value
3L potential unexpected repair costs during the out-of-warranty period (unlikely given low usage, ext warranty, good will warranty, etc.)

Not saying Fortuner is a bad car, but if you liked Endeavour better during test drives and worried about the cost of ownership, my post should help you to work out the math.

Is there a catch? Yes. Your Ford might give you more downtime and the dealer can be unhelpful. Bottom line is you can ignore the "cost of ownership" factor completely and see if you can put up with a potential downtime/poor dealership experience if things go wrong.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:56   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TL;DR
It also makes a superb vehicle for the guy who buys it once you're done with it - in fact if you're in Chennai let me know when you sell it

More seriously, I would suggest that you buy a low mileage and fairly young used Endy (under 4 years and 40k km) and use it - the cost is almost halved and it works just as well as a new one.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 14:09   #3432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TL;DR

YYour Ford might give you more downtime and the dealer can be unhelpful. Bottom line is you can ignore the "cost of ownership" factor completely and see if you can put up with a potential downtime/poor dealership experience if things go wrong.
Agree, but I won't fret too much relating to Dealership experience. FORD India is trying their best to change, with the success of the new Endeavour and also with better earnings, things will definitely improve at the dealership level. Toyota dealers are no saint either, just that the process of Toyota is strong and their vehicles give fewer problems to handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
More seriously, I would suggest that you buy a low mileage and fairly young used Endy (under 4 years and 40k km) and use it - the cost is almost halved and it works just as well as a new one.
Except for the name, the old one has nothing to do with the new one. He might get something from 2016 in 3,2 but I will pick a new 2,2 over an old 3,2 if budget is a concern.

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd September 2018 at 14:21.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 21:52   #3433
Senior - BHPian

These SUVs are built to handle abuse and for 60k km in 7 years, I think there'll hardly be any difference in reliability. If anything, the Fortuner will have a better resale value- but that is more than made up by discounts on the Endeavour. I'm not sure, but I think the Ford will be slightly more expensive to maintain than the Fortuner.

Why don't I add to the confusion by suggesting a petrol Innova Crysta?
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 23:16   #3434
BHPian

Okie guys , I test drove Fortuner for an hour today and was almost on the verge to issue the cheque to the dealer, even without test driving Endeavour again(not whole heartedly but the resale part and reliability was pushing me towards Fortuner), but something in my mind struck and I thought to test drive Endeavour for the final time(just for the sake of it) and told the Toyota guy to call me in the eve and offer me better discounts and collect the cheque .

And the moment I sat behind the steering wheel of Endeavour ,I just coudn't believe as to how much better it was to drive . I just kept smiling and thinking as to how my(wise)decision to drive Endeavour again changed everything.

No offence to anyone but believe me guys the moment you would drive Endeavour side by side , you would realize that Endeavour is miles miles ahead then Fortuner in almost every department. I cant understand why and how people buy such a car for 37 Lac when you have an option which is way better . I would rather add 10 lac more and buy a 5 seater BMW , Merc or an Audi .

However , for me it is the Ford Endeavour guys and now I have no confusion about it at all . I have booked it today .

However, the question still remains about its reliability but honestly after driving both, I am ready to take that chance with Endeavour . I firmly believe that if your heart is not convinced to buy a particular vehicle , you should not push yourself for it just because its a best in its segment(according to masses) and everybody else is buying it .

IMHO Fortuner is a no match to Endeavour . Fortuner might seem good to you, unless you drive Endeavour .

Thank you all for the suggestions .
ddndrive is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 23:48   #3435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However , for me it is the Ford Endeavour guys and now I have no confusion about it at all . I have booked it today .
Congrats! Any particular reason for not waiting for the facelift ?

Quote:
IMHO Fortuner is a no match to Endeavour . Fortuner might seem good to you, unless you drive Endeavour .
Had felt the same after driving them both.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks