Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 13:05   #856

Tried checking for Thule which was my preferred choice given the Thule ecosystem which exists in India. Unfortunately did not find the legs to match the flush roof rails on the Endy.

The flush roof rails are pretty new and pre dominantly come on vehicles designed in Australia - hence I guess Rhino racks moved in faster. Am still waiting for Thule to respond on earliest availability.
Old 18th July 2016, 15:16   #857
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

I took delivery of my diamond white Ford Endeavour 3.2 Trend on the 23rd of June. I had been eyeing it ever since news of the new Everest/Endeavour surfaced on the Internet and so I hadn't considered any other car except, may be the Pajero Sport which I almost booked last year. But then good sense prevailed and I waited for the new Endeavour to launch here. I have never really wanted the Fortuner.
I have done about 3300 kms now and the car is in for her first free service
It's been wonderful so far and I am very happy with the car. I have driven it in the city, highways and extensively in the hills and I just keep waiting for an excuse to take her out.
A few things that has me worried though are mentioned below. Some of them have been discussed here earlier as well.
1. Stock low beams are a joke. I switched to Night Breakers but still found them extremely weak in terms of throw and forced me use high beams especially on the highways. I then installed an Osram H11 HID kit. They worked beautifully and were much better. However, the passenger side would go off after about 30 minutes of continuous operation. They would come on again if I switch them on after a few minutes. But I was worried I would damage some wiring and so am back to NBs.
Now these HID kits draw power from both the stock lamp harnesses without taking direct supply from the battery like in some other HID conversion kits and from what I could gather, are not getting enough current to operate properly. Besides, I believe, some sensors in the ECU prevent the HIDs from functioning properly.
Now is there a way to power these HIDs from the battery using a relay without cutting any of the original wiring?

2. Fuel efficiency has been quite bad. Of course, I know it's a 3.2 litre engine and I knew what I was getting into. But then 7.5 in the city and 9.5 in the highway hurts.

3. Gear box and engine combo is a bit annoying. I don't think the ECU has "learnt" my style of driving. Or may be it is a very slow learner. The engine roar is quite discomforting and I find myself using the manual mode most of the time especially in the hills. I am very new to automatics and this is my first stint with an automatic vehicle. Do all torque converters behave in a similar way?
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:29   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Regarding the mileage, i have gotten an average of 7 kmpl in 100% city usage over a period of 800 kms approximately (includes idling time with A/c for atleast couple of hours and in the typical bumper to bumper traffic). On the highway drives I have gotten around 9-9.5 Kmpl. However note that I dont have a mileage friendly driving style, for comparison sake our innova used aroun 8 kmpl in city and 10 kmpl in highway
I have done just over 1500 kms but overall I get an average of 7 km in city and around 9.5 on highways. My driving style is rather aggressive given I am used to a Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Initial hesitation is too obvious.
Not sure if that gets rectified by the self learning ECU and adjusts according to ones driving style.

Did you experience the magic of the self learning ECU? (Engine hums a lot on the test dtive vehicle before take off)
I for some strange reason have never felt the initial hesitation issue. Perhaps it is because the self learning Transmission and ECU are used to my style. The car lunges forward eagerly. At times I found myself pressing the brakes instantly after pressing the pedal in traffic. Even while overtaking on highways I could just nudge and swerve to move on. So am I am pretty surprised with these observations. Is this because this unit has not been driven by anyone else other than me - unlike the Test Drive units? I am used to a very very peppy Civic and am used to fast acceleration and high speeds. I still find this truck very satisfactory.

Aggressive press on accelerator does produce initial roar but never found it too loud or harsh so surprised here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
A few things that has me worried though are mentioned below. Some of them have been discussed here earlier as well.
Gear box and engine combo is a bit annoying. I don't think the ECU has "learnt" my style of driving. Or may be it is a very slow learner. The engine roar is quite discomforting and I find myself using the manual mode most of the time especially in the hills. I am very new to automatics and this is my first stint with an automatic vehicle. Do all torque converters behave in a similar way?
I presume this is learning slow in your case. Might want to give it a few days of spin and watch. But if you have done 3.5 k already, maybe a check on the ECU at workshop to see if some settings are amiss?

Last edited by nareshtrao : 18th July 2016 at 19:32.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 20:18   #859
BHPian

I have completed 6000kms in 1.5 months. I did face an issue with the sun roof (replaced the entire unit under warranty) and given good care (after the initial disappointment) by the service center guys.

1) I prefer a relaxed drive (i am growing old !) The car performs well in this count. The S mode takes care of the quick/faster runs.
2) I did report that initial days were a bit rough but things have become much much better in terms of mileage and gearbox. As long as i get 8-10kmpl i am good. I knew the 3.2 isnt a fuel efficient car but the other aspects won my choice (the Fortuner 4x4 AT 3.0 returns 8-9 on average)
3) I use my truck in very bad terrains. So far did not notice any rattle. ( I come from a tata safari so my satisfaction levels are in comparison to that )
4) I find the roar pleasant. Its nice to hear, but to each his own.
5) I added the noise insulation as a negative, the car is super silent if you are on the road with windows up and music on (Moderate volumes) You end up missing the honks from outside. I have a punto in the family and i can say the Endeavour insulation is much better.

AND

6) I hate the beige interiors and the lack of GPS enabled touchscreen.

I have questions to the owners on wheel alignment:

1) Is the wheel alignment and rotation done every 5000kms or 10000kms ?
2) Per the everest manual, it says that it can be done at 5000kms or 10000kms, not every 5k.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...ralia_2015.pdf
3) The service center guy told that if there is no left or right pull then check the alignment and rotation at 10k kms.

Which should i go for ? Please suggest

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 18th July 2016 at 20:24.
Old 18th July 2016, 21:04   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I have completed 6000kms in 1.5 months. I did face an issue with the sun roof (replaced the entire unit under warranty) and given good care (after the initial disappointment) by the service center guys.

I have questions to the owners on wheel alignment:

1) Is the wheel alignment and rotation done every 5000kms or 10000kms ?
2) Per the everest manual, it says that it can be done at 5000kms or 10000kms, not every 5k.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...ralia_2015.pdf
3) The service center guy told that if there is no left or right pull then check the alignment and rotation at 10k kms.

Which should i go for ? Please suggest
1. Ideally a Wheel alignment every 5k will keep your tyres healthy. Given you have only 4 tyres to rotate, you want to make sure they provide grip and last
2. I prefer wheel alignment even earlier if I sense a mild issue - works well for me - its not expensive either. I also do wheel balancing and Road Force based wheel rotation - to minimize pull/road force
3. It also keeps your linked parts happy - sounds funny but true.

And I NEVER do it at Service Center. Service Center guys are never good with alignment. I get it done outside.

It worked for my Civic and i10. My i10 tyres are 40 k and still look new. Civic tyres are over 25k after changing and still have a great grip. My Lancer had a same story.

One catch - I always go to Madhus in Bangalore - for over 18 years. Perhaps it is them.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 18th July 2016 at 21:31.
Old 19th July 2016, 01:18   #861
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations Harsha.When is your ownership report coming by?
Thanks. I wont be able to put a ownership report as I take the endeavour only for long drives/tours which happen once in month

Quote:
Those are good fuel economy figures for a 3.2litre engine.
Yes, Indeed they are very good numbers. Especially comparing to our previous UV which is innova.

Quote:
Did you experience the magic of the self learning ECU? (Engine hums a lot on the test dtive vehicle before take off)

Would love to take your steed for a spin sometime.
To be very frank, I never ever felt anything wrong with the transmission of endeavour. Also note that I drive a Superb V6 (1st gen) and Vento 1.5 DSG every now and then. I would say I like the transmission on endeavour better than the DSG on vento which stays first gear for longer than expected and jerks as reported by other members on the forum too (after getting the update done from the showroom it was better, but still have the issues).

Even with spirited driving on the highway, I dont have anything to complain as far as transmission is concerned. Yes, it does make huge noise if we do full throttle from 0 kmph in D mode which I dont think is what we do regularly especially on a SUV like Endeavour.

Will let you know when the car with me next time, we can go for a spin

Quote:
1. Stock low beams are a joke. I switched to Night Breakers but still found them extremely weak in terms of throw and forced me use high beams especially on the highways. I then installed an Osram H11 HID kit. They worked beautifully and were much better. However, the passenger side would go off after about 30 minutes of continuous operation.
Even I was dissatisfied with the throw of low beams initially, but after adjusting it is much better but not to my satisfaction. Have already spoken to my friendly SA in service centre, who assured me he has gotten a couple of similar complaints and have already replaced a set of headlights under warranty. Have heard similar experience on this very same thread.

Which Brand HID kit did you use for low beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post

I for some strange reason have never felt the initial hesitation issue. Perhaps it is because the self learning Transmission and ECU are used to my style. The car lunges forward eagerly. At times I found myself pressing the brakes instantly after pressing the pedal in traffic. Even while overtaking on highways I could just nudge and swerve to move on. So am I am pretty surprised with these observations. Is this because this unit has not been driven by anyone else other than me - unlike the Test Drive units? I am used to a very very peppy Civic and am used to fast acceleration and high speeds. I still find this truck very satisfactory.

I do have a similar driving style and found the performance of endeavour to be totally satisfactory.

However, few negatives in my view of endeavour are

1. Ride quality at low speeds is far from plush, which is especially felt by the middle row and last row passengers. I would say innova had a better ride quality at low speeds than endeavour especially on good roads with small undulations. However its a different story at highway speeds, Endeavour rides flat and there is no bounciness/vertical movement which is evident in innova with undulations. On broken roads endeavour ride quality is much better than the innova. However if you compare it to the old fortuner, the ride quality at all speeds is much much better in endeavour.

2. Getting into 3rd row is strictly for kids or young adults. Very very narrow way to get into the thrid row.

3. Also noticed that we cannot adjust the reclining and front/back adjustment of middle row when the third row is folded in. Which means you cannot enjoy full leg space if you decide to carry extra luggage by folding the thrid row. I observed this very recently

4. As reported by someone else too, FM radio is having a mind of its own. No matter how many times I tune the radio channel/fiddle with various settings, 93.5/95.0/98.3 all these three channels will play the same channel which is 93.5. Have tried all the tricks and finally informed the SA, who assured he will check into in in next service. Surprisingly all the other channels (91.1,92.7..etc) work perfectly fine

And finally

5. The beige interiors which get dirty very easily
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 15:40   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Thanks.

Which Brand HID kit did you use for low beam?
I tried Osram Xenarc 4200k H11s. They are perfect, when they are working. I don't know if I have picked up a defective piece as they are supposed to work normally with the stock set up without the need for a relay. I tried sourcing a wiring relay and harness similar to the ones for h4 type but couldn't find one here in Coimbatore for H11.
I tried to get some input from the technicians when the car went in for her first servicing, but they had no clue. I asked them if they could fix the HIDs from the Titanium version on to the trend. Again, they were lost. So I gave up.
So now that remains my biggest problem. I hope the experts here can throw some light on why one of the HID bulbs goes off after a while. They come on after a couple of minutes if I switch them off and on. Will a relay sort out the issue if I can hook it up to the battery directly? Or is there a problem with the HID kit itself.
Old 19th July 2016, 21:52   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I then installed an Osram H11 HID kit. They worked beautifully and were much better. However, the passenger side would go off after about 30 minutes of continuous operation. They would come on again if I switch them on after a few minutes. But I was worried I would damage some wiring and so am back to NBs.
I think there is something wrong with your Kit and this might be even fake. There are many such kits in the market. Do try to get this checked with some official dealer. I am running similar Osram kit and photos / details are in this thread- check if your's look similar. I have now used this for over 3 months and being to hills / broken paths.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 23:49   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried Osram Xenarc 4200k H11s. They are perfect, when they are working
So now that remains my biggest problem. I hope the experts here can throw some light on why one of the HID bulbs goes off after a while. They come on after a couple of minutes if I switch them off and on. Will a relay sort out the issue if I can hook it up to the battery directly? Or is there a problem with the HID kit itself.
Try interchanging the ballast only and check again to know if the bulb or ballast is faulty.
Keep us posted.

Also check if you have a genuine product as there are too many knock offs in the market
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 06:04   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajero4me View Post
There is a white plastic manual adjustment screw.
Open the hood and you will find it on the top portion of the head lights.You would also find Up/Down written near it.There is also one for Left/Right, but is a bit hidden. Let me know if you don't find it, i'll post a pic.
The HID and Hi-beam reflector is attached to each other and any adjustment moves them together.
Could you please post a detailed step by step process with pictures, it would really help. I am assuming titanium version is what we are discussing. The low beam throw is really bad, very difficult to see anything beyond 5 meters. Please help. Also someone mentioned that dealers are replacing the headlamp assembly fully under warranty to fix this?

The osram night breaker discussion is for high beam I assume?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by sknair : 20th July 2016 at 06:05.
Old 20th July 2016, 16:17   #866
Senior - BHPian

Is K&N air filter available? and Anyone tried?
I checked at K&N site (Endeavor/Everest/ranger) - nothing available. Wrote their customer support, no answer yet.

Do they have a support office in India?
Old 20th July 2016, 17:15   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Is K&N air filter available? and Anyone tried?
I checked at K&N site (Endeavor/Everest/ranger) - nothing available. Wrote their customer support, no answer yet.

Do they have a support office in India?
I wrote to them too. They sent me a response that no product currently available. They also asked me to fill a New Product Requisition form which I did.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 00:31   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Could you please post a detailed step by step process with pictures, it would really help. I am assuming titanium version is what we are discussing. The low beam throw is really bad, very difficult to see anything beyond 5 meters. Please help. Also someone mentioned that dealers are replacing the headlamp assembly fully under warranty to fix this?
The osram night breaker discussion is for high beam I assume?
Thanks for the help.
I hope you have referred to my post on this topic (Link Below)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4009982

The pictures in my above mentioned post shows how a proper HID beam should look like and how a faulty one would look like.

First you need to park your vehicle facing a clean wall and turn ON the HID's to check if you have a misaligned HID (Most probably you have one).

In case of one of the headlights is misaligned, the overlap between the light patterns is not to the full extent and the only a a small overlapping area in front of the car gets properly illuminated (Picture 1 Below ) and hence the reduced range.
According to my experience, in case of a Faulty headlamp there is nothing much you can do about, since even if you adjust the alignment manually it goes back to the faulty alignment the next time the car is turned OFF and ON.I had to replace my right headlight under warranty and my left one too needs replacement now.

However if you still wish to give the manual alignment a try, try turning the white plastic screw visible in picture 2.The directions too are etched on the black plastic area.( U / D)

I suggest that you visit your dealer with these details and get the headlamps checked.Also insist on a comparison with a stock vehicle if they act smart.I believe more feedback on this issue would make FORD more alert.My SA says FORD has already given them a heads up on this.
(You are right about OSRAM NB, they are for high beams, but with a faulty headlamp even the high beam would be focused downwards.)
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20160720wa0005.jpg  

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20160720_232259.jpg  

pajero4me is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 08:41   #869
BHPian

That's right pajero4me. My right beam focus is good and the problem is only with the left one. Last week after adjusting the left light focus for almost 15 min, it initially did look like corrected but now it has again come to it's previous focus. I'm planning to take it to the service center on Monday just for this.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 21st July 2016 at 08:43.
Old 21st July 2016, 10:10   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I think there is something wrong with your Kit and this might be even fake. There are many such kits in the market. Do try to get this checked with some official dealer. I am running similar Osram kit and photos / details are in this thread- check if your's look similar. I have now used this for over 3 months and being to hills / broken paths.
Quote:
Try interchanging the ballast only and check again to know if the bulb or ballast is faulty.
Keep us posted.

Also check if you have a genuine product as there are too many knock offs in the market
Thanks for the input guys.
@Turbanator - the kit seems genuine to me. Exactly the same as what you have posted. I bought it from Kochi with a proper bill and warranty.

Yesterday I disconnected the entire kit and replugged all the wires together myself. But I forgot which bulb went which side . But anyway, after this they seem to be working fine. I took her for an hours drive in the night and the kit seemed to work fine. So keeping my fingers crossed.

The throw seems to be OK to me now, in the sense that I don't have the problem of the beam falling within 5 metres from the bonnet. The motorised level adjust seems adequate and I keep it just one or two notches above minimum. The new endeavour has several notches compared to some other cars which have only about 3 or 4 levels of adjustment.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks