Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 23:30   #886
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I liked everything in Innova except for the fact that it is a VAN

I am going to take a real long test drive of Endeavour this weekend before I rule it out. I went to the extent of booking an X1, but after speaking to the service manager (who gave me a 1 lakh per annum average service bill projection), I had to decide against it. It is a pity that I am not able to find a well rounded, reliable and comfortable CUV/SUV around 30 to 40 lakhs that can match Germans of similar price range. I just couldn't digest the servicing cost of premium brands in spite of having decent service packages - especially because I am planning to retain the vehicle for 10 years or so. 10 years BSI for X1 is pretty steeply priced too and the landing cost of the car shoots up heavily.
This is my 1st posting in Team BHP.
I test drove both the Endy and the new Innova. I thought comparatively the Endy had a better ride quality. See a bit of the details below
1) Endy, the large 18" wheels helped to absorb much the road undulations and infamous Bangalore humps very well, even one accidental flying over the hump! I also sat in the 2nd row while my wife test drove. Felt the 2nd row ride quality was pretty good. Not sure why yours had a bit of bumpiness. May be overinflated tires as mentioned by someone else.
2) Innova, I did not enjoy the ride quality much. As a driver I could feel the road patch work coming through. I did not feel that the suspensions are fine tuned for any ride 'character'. The steering was tighter than Endy for sure. Endy has a slightly larger turing radius, but since Innova steering is tighter, I was able to take the tight U turns better with Endy. But then due to the fact that most Indian consumers would just lap up the Innova, this is all what is needed. Very handy vehicle with lots of power, space and chrome! But then I feel its just a van to haul passengers and lots of luggage. One handy family vehicle.
3) BMW X1, this drive was a few years ago, driving on Interstate-96, Michigan. Typical BMW ride, a bit on the stiffer side. The 2 light weight, pre-teen girls in the 2nd row just did not enjoy the ride at all. They felt the ride too bumpy for them. But great power, speed, steering control (variable steering) and truck loads of technology. If you didn't enjoy the Endy ride, then I would think X1 is definitely out of question. Especially on typical Indian city roads.

On another topic regarding the 3.2 L engine failures from oil pump issue. I hear the issue is due to a new vane pump (variable discharge) which is not priming if the oil is let to drain empty, during service. The refill does not suffice to generate enough positive suction at pump at inlet. Thus the turbo failure 'could' be secondary failure from oil starvation. Looks like the work around is not to let oil drain for more than 10 mins. This seem to be working. I guess dealer oil servicing is the way to go for 3.2L engine. Ford is fully aware of this issue.
Czarcarsm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 13:06   #887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is my 1st posting in Team BHP.
Welcome to Family !

Quote:
I thought comparatively the Endy had a better ride quality.
It does have better quality just that if you hit some bump , it hurts you more in Endy than Innova.

Quote:
On another topic regarding the 3.2 L engine failures from oil pump issue
Those are reported for ranger, I am not aware if FORD has made any changes but as long you are getting the oil changed at service centres it should not be a concern. I understand that oil pump is not self-priming and in case oil is not changed in 10 minutes there are chances of seizures. Having owned multiple vehicles, I can recommend you and others this beast over anything else this side of 50 Lac.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 18:06   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Thank you. Service guy is coming in this evening, will keep you posted.
So what happened on this ?
I got mine changed without any hassles yesterday.
pajero4me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 18:14   #889
BHPian

Any ideas on modifications we can do to improve fuel economy other than the obvious?
Old 27th July 2016, 18:48   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajero4me View Post
So what happened on this ?
I got mine changed without any hassles yesterday.
thanks for checking, which dealer in Bangalore?
the service guy has confirmed that my headlights need replacement. he says he will order the replacement parts and expects it to arrive by weekend.
Old 27th July 2016, 20:49   #891
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for checking, which dealer in Bangalore?
the service guy has confirmed that my headlights need replacement. he says he will order the replacement parts and expects it to arrive by weekend.
Lathangi Ford.
Are they replacing both or just the left one ?
Old 27th July 2016, 22:05   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Lathangi Ford.
Both of them are defective.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:26   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla1979 View Post
Any ideas on modifications we can do to improve fuel economy other than the obvious?
The only possible modification seems to be a lifestyle modification , practicing Yoga or Meditation may help to adopt a more sedate driving style.
During a driving session just for testing,I was able to squeeze out 11 - 12 KM/Ltr by consistently driving at 70 KM/Hr (for 3.2 AT). But i agree the FE hurts most of the times.

Was wondering what the FE figures would be for other biggies like
Fortuner MT / AT , Pajero Sport MT / AT , Also for an X5 and Q5.

Last edited by pajero4me : 28th July 2016 at 17:40.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:32   #894
BHPian

Quote:
The only possible modification seems to be a lifestyle modification , practicing Yoga or meditation that may help to adopt a more sedate driving style.
I was able to squeeze out 11 - 12 KM/Ltr by consistently driving at KM/Hr (for 3.2 AT). But i agree the FE hurts sometimes.

Fortuner MT / AT
Pajero Sport MT / AT
Also for an X5 and Q5.
Well, the FE doesn't just hurt, it's got me bleeding. 6.1 in the city with the new Ford endeavour 3.2 is ridiculous. Highway I get 8. Sedate driving et al. Most people here including you have mentioned 11-12.. that's a dream for me. I've complained and threatened to go file a claim in CC. I doubt they'll do anything.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:34   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Lathangi Ford.
Latest is that Ford advised to replace the right side one only and if it still didn't improve the situation then they would replace the left side one :(
Old 28th July 2016, 17:38   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the FE doesn't just hurt, it's got me bleeding. 6.1 in the city with the new Ford endeavour 3.2 is ridiculous. Highway I get 8. Sedate driving et al. Most people here including you have mentioned 11-12.. that's a dream for me. I've complained and threatened to go file a claim in CC. I doubt they'll do anything.
my experience is also that in BLR bumper to bumper traffic, I get about 6 km/l max. on highways at about 120 km/h its about 8.5 to 9 max.

if you drive about 90 to 100 km/hr consistently then about 10 to 10.5 km/h

I think this is the norm, folks in less trafficky cities may get better economy.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:46   #897
BHPian

Quote:
my experience is also that in BLR bumper to bumper traffic, I get about 6 km/l max. on highways at about 120 km/h its about 8.5 to 9 max.

if you drive about 90 to 100 km/hr consistently then about 10 to 10.5 km/h.
Well I am glad I'm not the only one. I used to get 10 per km consistently on the fortuner 3.0 4x4 manual since you asked.
That would dip to 9 in the city and consistent 10 on the highway.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:46   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Latest is that Ford advised to replace the right side one only and if it still didn't improve the situation then they would replace the left side one :(
Not sure why they suggested to replace the right side one. From your picture it was apparent that the left one was focused down wards.(May be i'm wrong , but please do refer to my previous post and confirm yourself once. Park it close to a wall and let both beams fall on the wall, not like the way in your photograph where you have a car in front).
Also get some one turn the ignition ON/OFF for you and check for the 'trr' sound or mild vibration sound from the left/right headlight.

Quote:
if you drive about 90 to 100 km/hr consistently then about 10 to 10.5 km/h
I think this is the norm, folks in less trafficky cities may get better economy.
Quote:
Well I am glad I'm not the only one. I used to get 10 per km consistently on the fortuner 3.0 4x4 manual since you asked.
That would dip to 9 in the city and consistent 10 on the highway.
7.5 in City and 9 on highways is what even i get, As i mentioned 11-12 was during a controlled experiment only for academic purposes

Last edited by pajero4me : 28th July 2016 at 17:56.
Old 28th July 2016, 18:27   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure why they suggested to replace the right side one. From your picture it was apparent that the left one was focused down wards.(May be i'm wrong , but please do refer to my previous post and confirm yourself once. Park it close to a wall and let both beams fall on the wall, not like the way in your photograph where you have a car in front).
In my case right beam is dipping more downwards than the left one, looks like they are experimenting. once they replace it, we would know.
Old 28th July 2016, 19:17   #900
BHPian

Quote:
The only possible modification seems to be a lifestyle modification , practicing Yoga or Meditation may help to adopt a more sedate driving style.
During a driving session just for testing,I was able to squeeze out 11 - 12 KM/Ltr by consistently driving at 70 KM/Hr (for 3.2 AT). But i agree the FE hurts most of the times.

Fortuner MT / AT , Pajero Sport MT / AT , Also for an X5 and Q5.
When i tested the Fortuner and Pajero, the dealer executives clearly told me that the Fortuner AT & Pajero Sport AT will return around 7-8 kmpl in the city and max 9.5-10 kmpl.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks