Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2017, 11:28   #721
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

A small test drive

This was to convince my family of 6 (4 adults, 2 kids of 10 & 4 years) that BRV can accommodate them with ease.

I requested for AT but the dealership doesn't have one, in fact they only have diesel top most trim as a TD vehicle.

Thankfully they were happy for the kind of space offered in all the rows. My wife seemed satisfied with the boot-space also. And my parents found the ride comfortable and diesel's cluttering bearable (however I didn't like that) at back.

My few observations:

1. Ride & handling was good, steering feedback better than Hexa and comparable to my Fabia 1.6.

2. Gear shift easy and approachable (not miles away like Hexa, which was also a contender as my next car)

3. Doors feel flimsy compared to European cars.

4. Central console was boring, and not to mention lacking many essentials. However, very practical with good music system and steering controls, dual AC with effective auto control, and ease and availability of 2nd row seat adjustment

5. Sill feel price is at higher side in terms of value offered.

Anyone has an experience at hilly terrain, with vehicle fully loaded?
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 11:59   #722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
I requested for AT but the dealership doesn't have one, Anyone has an experience at hilly terrain, with vehicle fully loaded?
Because of high power to weight ratio, BRV AT flies even when it is fully loaded with people and luggage. With a 0 to 100 kmph timing of 12.3 seconds, it is one of the quickest mainstream automatics cars on sale

Quote:

1. Ride & handling was good, steering feedback better than Hexa and comparable to my Fabia 1.6. 2. Gear shift easy and approachable (not miles away like Hexa, which was also a contender as my next car)
Without an iota of doubt, I think Hexa AT is a better car than BRV AT. There are some concerns about things falling off in a Hexa (I own Vista petrol) over time, but other than that, I can't think of any other significant drawbacks in the Tata.

BRV AT has only the following advantages over Hexa AT:

1) More nimble handler (monocoque vs ladder frame), compact dimensions and sharper steering.
2) Lower price
3) Long term reliability

So whether you pick BRV or Hexa depends on how important these parameters are. In pretty much every other department, Hexa is superior to BRV

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th March 2017 at 12:05.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 14:45   #723
BHPian

BRV sales tumbled down to 703 cars (team-bhp, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html) for Feb'17. More than 50% reduction in the sales figure compared to Jan'17 figure of 1485,

Just to note that Nov'16 sales was also just 419 (team-bhp). Dec'16 and Jan'17 figures of 1601 and 1458 respectively are, seems obviously, owing to clearance discount. There is no new product launch in the segment. (Interestingly there is shown a sale figure of 316 against WRV, which is still not launched, may be on account of prebooking (team-bhp). I don't know it is correct or not!)

Now, when a product is driven by discounts only that means there is something wrong with either product (better competitive offering) or the pricing (all other factors remaining constant).

It's a open secret that BRV is over-priced vehicle, like many other Honda products including newly launched City. Now to command a premium over its justified price it seems BRV doesn't have much to offer than 7 seats (Sales in C2 segment, sans sedan category, have seen good rise for Creta & Breza, might have eaten BRV share).

Innova has also increased its share but it is in different league and cannot be compared only based on similar seating arrangement, like Lodgy. But Hexa can be cause of worry (even Hexa sales has also dropped, but it is very early to say something.) So, for BRV, it appears the following 2 things are the way out:

A. Refresh the model and improve the offerings and value proposition.
B. Revise the price (not by giving only discounts, it happened for many cars including S-Cross recently)

Best of luck
Old 8th March 2017, 10:10   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
3. Doors feel flimsy compared to European cars.
4. Central console was boring, and not to mention lacking many essentials. However, very practical with good music system and steering controls, dual AC with effective auto control, and ease and availability of 2nd row seat adjustment
5. Sill feel price is at higher side in terms of value offered.
I recently bought V CVT and I agree with #3 only when opening the rear doors. It requires an extra effort to pull open the doors and that too with 'tin box' kind of sound. I plan to figure out if this can be eliminated. But the front doors feel nice and provide that 'thud' when closing though.

W.r.t #4, I replaced the stock audio setup with factory Alpine AVN (from dealer itself) and that makes the overall dash look alive and also takes the looks of the dash up a few notches on elegance scale.

W.r.t #5, yes I too felt the price to be on higher side but then I might be only considering shallow aspects of features as such. I'm not aware of the costs involved with deep design elements required to make 7 seaters, higher GC, machined alloys, iVtec et al, so I gave the benefit of doubt to Honda. Plus I feel that Honda is usually a bit more expensive and frugal at giving discounts than its competitors. All considered, I opted for late '16 model which was quoted with attractive discounts making it look the right value for money product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Because of high power to weight ratio, BRV AT flies even when it is fully loaded with people and luggage. With a 0 to 100 kmph timing of 12.3 seconds, it is one of the quickest mainstream automatics cars on sale
+1 to that. So far I have driven my V CVT with 5 Adults and 3 kids (<10 yrs) for about 200kms (~50 on hilly terrain) and another 100 with 4 adults on board. I'm impressed at the way the car delivers power seamlessly, building up speed and then settling down in eco mode. So far, never have I felt the car gasping to deliver power when required. Pls. note that I might be in "S" (sedate) mode myself till the car runs in properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
...In pretty much every other department, Hexa is superior to BRV
I too had considered Hexa and test drove both extensively before finalizing on BRV. AT comparison may not be really valid here given that BRV AT isn't offered w/ diesel and engine being the heart of the matter rest all are then add-ons IMO. But for sake and talking of "every other department" then I would add - lower long term maintenance,lower NVH levels, refinement & smoothness of iVtec in favour of BRV. Powerful torquey engine, sturdy road presence, ride comfort (with that double wishbone setup), bit more spacious are my quick picks in favour of Hexa.
wangdu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 14:52   #725
BHPian

BRV continues the Feb offer. Got an SMS as attached here:

The offer page at Honda India site elaborates this:
https://www.hondacarindia.com/offers/

Honda BR-V : Official Review-screenshot_20170310113941.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2017 at 09:31. Reason: Merging both your posts
Old 17th March 2017, 12:44   #726
BHPian

Monthly sales units are back to three digits..

Honda BR-V : Official Review-honda-brv-vs-creta.jpg
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 13:34   #727
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any idea on whether Honda is introducing 4x4 in BR-V in India? If yes then when can we expect the same.
Old 17th March 2017, 13:58   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Does anyone have any idea on whether Honda is introducing 4x4 in BR-V in India? If yes then when can we expect the same.
Is there 4x4 BRV at the first place? If not, Honda wont bother developing one solely for the Indian market. The 4x4 or AWD market is not too big to develop one either.
Old 17th March 2017, 14:17   #729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Monthly sales units are back to three digits..
Creta's graph is like that of a high flying airplane and BRV's graph is like that of a helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Is there 4x4 BRV at the first place? If not, Honda wont bother developing one solely for the Indian market. The 4x4 or AWD market is not too big to develop one either.
No AWD variant of BRV has been developed. BRV in the current form does not go "off road" but should be able to handle almost all the roads that our Government/BRO has built. A few advantages it has -

- Front wheel drive
- 210 mm ground clearance
- Light weight (1.2 tonnes)
- 16 inch wheels to clamber over the rough stuff
- I'm running out of points to mention here, but BRV's diesel engine has good low end torque too

My favorite video - what a vehicle with the above specs can do

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th March 2017 at 14:20.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 17:00   #730
BHPian

I wouldn't wanna try this out in the BR-V or even the Creta . A Duster however would easily handle most of this (and has)

My main concern would be over the Approach/Departure/Breakover angles - thats what really makes a (micro) SUV do what it can . Not to mention the long wheelbase of the BR-V will be disastrous.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 17:42   #731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I wouldn't wanna try this out in the BR-V or even the Creta . A Duster however would easily handle most of this (and has) My main concern would be over the Approach/Departure/Breakover angles - thats what really makes a (micro) SUV do what it can . Not to mention the long wheelbase of the BR-V will be disastrous.
- There is nothing wrong with approach and departure angle of BRV
- Long wheelbase of BRV will hurt under certain conditions.
- Creta/Ecosport/Brezza is likely to perform as well as FWD Duster

Admittedly, the Suzuki Vitara video might be slightly misleading because -

- The driver is likely to have lots of off-roading experience (when to use momentum, when to crawl etc)
- Vitara is likely to have some electronic aids even in FWD variant which our Indian FWD compact SUV's lack.

But light weight really helps -

And agree that Duster AWD is one of the best buys in this segment, if you are remotely interested in some adventure. But BRV is not too bad either - as long as you understand its limits. It helps if you have a tow rope and a Duster AWD for company.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160815_075411.jpg

Couple of videos we took - these are not off-road videos but off-the-beaten-track videos:

And some photos:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161012_091835_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-dsc03169.jpg

But one thing to remember is that FWD/ AWD/ proper 4x4 -> none of these are invincible. You will get stuck somewhere. However, AWD gets you a little further and proper 4x4 a little more.
SmartCat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 10:51   #732
BHPian

Folks, In my V model BRV the driver side window pull up button has "Auto" printed on it. I think this (Auto-up)is a feature for Vx only, so I wanted to know if this feature can be enabled in V or is it case of V/Vx/all models using same "auto" button functional only in Vx? thanks.
Old 29th March 2017, 18:23   #733
BHPian

Hi All, sorry for the long hiatus from here, got a little too busy with loads of changes and challenges at work, and then some touring as well.

So, coming to the touring part, after the short trekking ride (150 kms trip to a trekking point), did a couple of longer trips.

About 500 kms trip to Harihareshwar-Shrivardhan-Dive Agar. This was with quite a bit of ghat (hilly) sections, and the BRV fared wonderfully well, never felt any lack of power / torque etc. Though overtaking on the 1-lane goa highway did get tricky once in D mode, I was reminded later to use the S mode in such situations! :-)

And then did a 600 kms trip to Mahabaleshwar, (roughly same distance as the prior trip, just that we did a lot of zig zag between mahabaleshwar and panchgani on one of the days!!), and the BRV again excelled beautifully on those ghats too (we stuck the the pune side though this time, so not so hilly that side I guess).

Both trips we got an overall FE of 12-13, with highway ones as high as 19-20. Mind you, it was just 3 of us, with AC on all the time.

And the drive on the Mum-Pune expressway was amazing in the BRV, especially when I compare it with my prior experience on the same road on my Santro (shouldn't really be comparing!!).

Have clocked a little over 4k kms in last 6 months of driving it, very very happy with CVT in the crazy mumbai traffic, and these long trips have helped overall FE figures to go above 9 kmpl now!

And in between all this, got 2nd service done as well, 0 cost, not much work done as well by the honda guys I presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Folks, In my V model BRV the driver side window pull up button has "Auto" printed on it. I think this (Auto-up)is a feature for Vx only, so I wanted to know if this feature can be enabled in V or is it case of V/Vx/all models using same "auto" button functional only in Vx? thanks.
The "auto" function is auto-down-only for all variants below VX, auto-up and auto-down for VX.
Hvt77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 09:20   #734
BHPian

Happy to see the sales figure for BRV in Mar'17 at 1436 (which is just lower than a so called true small SUV Duster at 1566) against only 703 in Feb'17. Compare this with sale of Tata Hexa at only 940, down from 1026 in Feb.
The number is pretty good and could have been better as I feel that WRV could have eaten some share of BRV.
Old 8th April 2017, 15:10   #735

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
Ashwin.. I Hope, thats what you were asking for..
This is my first post on Team-BHP. I have tried my best to remove the Mobilio look from my BRV. This is how it looks like now. Please let me know your thoughts

Not even sure if the attached pic is visible. Apologize if it is not visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-fullsizerender.jpg  

harishnavuluru is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks