Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 10:30   #1396
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
You havent seen its capability yet , Period! . I bought a top end manual with 16 inch tyres . I was neither a fan boy of toyota nor an innova, but now I cant get enough of both. Innova just rocks. Yes its nausy at the rear seat like a volvo bus back seat but its a brilliant highway cruiser. Its my best car ever bought under 30 lks and I dont like previous gen innova.
Sir, I agree with the fact that it’s a very capable vehicle, but why I can’t understand why TKML made the Innova Crysta so uncomfortable.
Mine’s running on OEM 17” wheels, and the ride quality is simply abysmal for anyone who’s sitting in the 3rd row.
Also, if the vehicle goes over a bad patch or over some undulated surface, the pitch, boune & jarr that is felt in the 2nd row is simply irritating for a vehicle that focuses on 2nd row comfort.
The captain seats are amazing to be toured around in on good roads, but drive it on roads in our side of the country & you’ll understand how annoying it is to travel in the vehicle everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
TKML has always priced the Innova (not stripped down taxi variants) but top variants with the D segment sedans. That was the norm and it continues, check the price of D segment sedans between 2005 and 2016 and compare with Innova from those years.
Sir, I don’t really mind paying the price if I can travel comfortably, but if my family prefers using our Safari DiCOR for intercity runs than the Innova Crysta, I’m sorry, but it just doesn’t justify the high price anymore.

Last edited by AShubrah : 1st March 2018 at 10:35.
AShubrah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 10:42   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Sir, I don’t really mind paying the price if I can travel comfortably, but if my family prefers using our Safari DiCOR for intercity runs than the Innova Crysta, I’m sorry, but it just doesn’t justify the high price anymore.
Looks like you wasted your money on the Crysta. I am sorry for the loss. Looks like you did not research well before you bought the Crysta. Hope people take your case as an example and do their research well before picking up a vehicle.

Edit: But not all is lost, you can sell the Crysta now or after 5 years and still get the most to buy a new Hexa without making a loss.

Btw I hope the link i sent you regarding LED lights was somewhat useful. Did not see your PM after that.

Last edited by Sankar : 1st March 2018 at 10:46.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 11:06   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
ÙHad my second long drive in an Innova. First one was in a Taxi level variant. Yesterday was in top manual variant.
Having owned and driven the vehicle for around 75 days and 4200 kms, I will give my inputs on the factual points mentioned. For the conclusions drawn, I'll park it for the last part of the reply.

Quote:
3) Uncomfortable seats as they are soft and not firm got lower back pain after yrs.
It's a personal preference thing. I too prefer stiffer seats over the softer ones. I used to love the driver seat on the Etios for the kind of lower back support it offers. With the crysta, lower back support for driver's seat I would rate it as 7 out of 10. It's not as stiff as what I would want it to be. But, it's not too soft too. On the Etios, I could complete a 750 kms drive without making too many adjustments to my back. With the Crysta, that's not the case. It's a pity that Toyota did not include lumbar support adjustment to such an expensive vehicle.

Having said that, the middle row seats of the Crysta with the first row passenger seat straightened is the dream travelling position on the highways and this is one of the specific reasons why I bought this vehicle. There are people in my family with knee issues and they could complete really long trips because they could keep the knee in a straightened position like in a recliner. Even 1 hour in this position every 3 hours or so of drive makes a huge difference to long trip comfort. The position I'm talking about is showed in the image below with only difference - the back is not reclined like in the photo because that is dangerous on a highway drive as seat belts cannot grip you in that position.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-innova_recline.jpg

Quote:
4) One lady puked many times. She started out sitting in the last row. But that may be an aberration. Rest took avomine.
We have taken multiple 700 kms trips without avomine or puking. So, I'm not sure as to what happened with your specific trip. But, at the same time I have seen people vomitish after a drive in Xylo or a Safari even for short travels.

Quote:
5) AC Is Superb.
+1.

Quote:
6) Engine is refined and powerfull but requires a lot of gear changes when we drop speed on speed bumps.
I have only driven the automatic variant of the Crysta and it's a joy to drive around with peak torque of 360 Nm available from 1200 rpms all the way till 3400 rpms. It's the best diesel engine that you can get for this money. Period!

Quote:
7) Very unstable on cornering. Hence risky as it picks up speed quite fast in a straight line.
If you compare it to a sedan, yes. for eg:-, I feel much more in control on my old Etios on the curves at high speed than the Innova. But, Innova is a ladder on frame UV. If you compare it with similar vehicles, then the equation changes. Add to that the ESC and TRC. It is one of the safest UVs around at high speeds.

A UV is supposed to be driven maturely unlike a sedan which can be thrown around at corners.

Quote:
8) Rear seat access is very good.
+1

Quote:
9) Eco mode is average. Power mode is very good.
What does average mean ? I have not driven the manual. But, in the automatic, I have driven 95% of the time in the eco mode and it is more than enough for both city and highway driving. The best thing about the eco mode is that in normal throttle response, the car feels very smooth without any jerky acceleration, and when you need power, just push down the throttle and it goes mad! So, it's kind of the best of both worlds. Atleast in the automatic, I find the power mode to be an over kill.

Quote:
Gear stick is not stable at any speed in any gear.
Yes, on the manual variant.

Quote:
10) Only 5 Speed.
The Touring sport variant of the manual innova crysta comes with 6 speed gearbox and iMT ( which does revv matching ).
And all automatic variants of the Crysta comes with 6 speed gearbox.

Quote:
11) Can't be accidentally put from 5th to R.
I didn't understand this. What is the problem with this ?

Quote:
12) Drivers seat was short on space. I am tall and big.
For tall people, they need to be careful before selecting Crysta as their vehicle if they plan to drive it. The driver seat travel is not enough.

Quote:
14) Steering is tight at low speed.
It's relative. I prefer the hydraulic but harder steering with very good feedback of my old Esteem any day over the toy like light steering of my Etios. Innova's hydraulic steering is more comparable to the Esteem steering. And I drive mostly in the eco mode, which means that the power assist is even lesser. I still have never found the steering tiring.

I have seen superlatives like "damn heavy steering" in this forum. For people who are wondering about the hardness of the steering of a Crysta, it's lighter than a non power steering model of Tata Nano even in the least power assisted eco mode.

Quote:
15) Ambient lights look cool.
I find this as a gimmick to satisfy the mass market. Toyota easily fooled us by not providing a sun roof and we got awed by these cheap blue lights. Market seems to go by gimmicks these days and even a brand like Toyota seems to be going by that change in attitude of the customer.

Quote:
1) Overrated.
2) Over Priced
13) Resale value does not justify driving this as a personal vehicle.
16) Doesn't feel as if it is worth 26L.
Overall I pity those who have to drive this regularly but that's just my feeling.
All these points seems to echo one point - "The car is over rated". I always believe that the higher up you go the price spectrum of any product, you will always find products to be less value for money. Toyota as a brand is normally an exception here because their products last really long and has a damn cheap maintenance cost as well. And it's because you can have the same confidence of a new car on a 4 lakh run Toyota ladder on frame car that these vehicles fetch great resale value. There is no point in we being envious about that. I don't think people buy a Toyota for its resale value. In most cases, people who value time and requires peace of mind are the ones who go for a Toyota. Resale value is just a desirable side effect.

Now forget all of that, why would someone buy a ladder on frame UV from Toyota? The primary purpose is versatility. You can use it as an all rounder. You can abuse it like anything and it will still be ready to perform its role the next day without any complaints. And for people who need to have a pleasant driving experience on top of that, go for the Automatic variant. It's such a joy to drive in the Bangalore traffic. And when you need power, just tap the accelerator and the surge is felt without any drama because peak torque is available right from 1200 rpms. You don't need a down shift to accelerate hard. For the purists who do not like an automatic shift, shift the automatic into S mode and do manual shifts without the hassle of clutch. Now, take it to ghat road and the Hill hold assist takes care of any tricky situations that you might encounter.

I plan to have the Yaris as a city car later. But on a long highway drive, any day I would pick the Crysta over the Yaris to do the duties.

Last edited by amalji : 1st March 2018 at 11:11.
amalji is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 12:15   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Overall I pity those who have to drive this regularly but that's just my feeling.
Depends on what your preferences are and what you are comparing with. Unless you are comparing the driving dynamics with a sedan or a monocoque SUV, Innova is among the better handling MUV's. There are downside like lack of 6th gear, dancing gear lever, limited travel driver seats etc. But then you don't judge a car based on few negatives alone. I always believe you should buy a car that you like, meets majority of your needs and keeps you happy and in this case Innova is probably not something that does for you, which is perfectly fine. 6K people every month don't plonk 20+ big one's just for the brand, but because Crysta excels in area which is important to majority. And yes this majority includes cabbies, babus, film stars and a regular bloke like me!

Quote:
I completely agree with the above mentioned points that you've stated, sir.
I’d like to add that the Innova Crysta is nowhere as comfortable as the original Innova was & is selling purely for the brand value that it holds in the market.
It’s a shame that TKML went a segment up with the pricing but moved a segment down W.R.T to comfort.
Quote:
Sir, I agree with the fact that it’s a very capable vehicle, but why I can’t understand why TKML made the Innova Crysta so uncomfortable.

I have limited experience driving Crysta with 17 incher's, but with my 16 incher's I can safely say that it rides much better than older Innova(run about 1.35 lacs) which I have in my garage. Crysta has lesser body roll, better GC and better tuned suspension. The Dicor is/might be more comfortable at slower speeds, but drive it on a highway, rural roads- it feels like a boat and people get thrown around generously.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 12:17   #1400
BHPian

I'm not an Innova lover personally but my family is mad about Innova/crysta and I get where they are coming from. If one is willing to spend D segment sedan money on a car, the innova crysta makes a lot of sense. It is a car that you can just buy and forget about. The most tension free car (apart from cheap marutis). The captain seats are amazing and the comfort is pretty good(maybe less than hexa). The innova surpasses the hexa in terms of brand value, Innova in itself is a brand now and I've seen stupid rich people preferring their innovas over any German luxury car. Same goes for my grandfather, he doesn't look beyond Innova. We have 3 2.8z crystas and haven't faced any niggle or glitch. My dad was even talking about buying a 4th one but I went against him and got an endeavour 3.2.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-snapchat1365603625.jpg  

Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 13:25   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
But not all is lost, you can sell the Crysta now or after 5 years and still get the most to buy a new Hexa without making a loss.

Quote:
Btw I hope the link i sent you regarding LED lights was somewhat useful. Did not see your PM after that.
The link helped me order a couple of LEDs as of now, but I can’t find one online for the back-up lights.
I’ve also PM’ed you the issue that I had regarding the HID kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I have limited experience driving Crysta with 17 incher's, but with my 16 incher's I can safely say that it rides much better than older Innova(run about 1.35 lacs) which I have in my garage. Crysta has lesser body roll, better GC and better tuned suspension. The Dicor is/might be more comfortable at slower speeds, but drive it on a highway, rural roads- it feels like a boat and people get thrown around generously.
Sir, you should really sit in a Crysta with the 17 incher’s in the middle row & ask someone to drive on rough roads. I’m pretty sure you’ll understand what I’m saying.
IMHO, the amount of pitching & bouncing that the car does on undulate surfaces is a lot more when compared to the older one.
Also, I don’t know if you’ve been in a Safari on the highway, but nothing comes close to the way it gobbles up potholes & rough roads at all speeds.
AShubrah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 13:43   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sir, you should really sit in a Crysta with the 17 incher’s in the middle row & ask someone to drive on rough roads. I’m pretty sure you’ll understand what I’m saying.
IMHO, the amount of pitching & bouncing that the car does on undulate surfaces is a lot more when compared to the older one.
Also, I don’t know if you’ve been in a Safari on the highway, but nothing comes close to the way it gobbles up potholes & rough roads at all speeds.
As I mentioned I can't comment much about 17 inch, but my older Innova is no match to Crysta (which rides on 16 inch tires) in terms of ride. Quite possible that ride is unsettled with 17, but frankly I am not the right person to comment. In comparison, Hexa definitely has a better ride but again it has its own set of shortcomings.

I had taken a Safari to Yercaud, and have decided never to touch that again. It gobbles potholes, but past 80 it is a boat and the amount abuses hurled at me by my friends at the back was enough to conclude. Yes, on a pothole filled state road, mudroad Safari is likely to perform better, everywhere else, I found Innova much better.

Last edited by PrideRed : 1st March 2018 at 13:45.
Old 1st March 2018, 13:59   #1403
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey folks. when I wrote the short very negative review in the Official Innova thread I did anticipate the brick backs. It was expected and is natural. As Pride Red mentioned the majority do disagree with me.

But that said even if 90% hold a certain view it does not make them right. If 50% + Indians buy Maruti vehicles, it does not mean that they are necessarily better than other brands in even one aspect. Large numbers sold does not equate to great vehicle.

TBHP Car of the Year or even the top 3 vehicles each year have not necessarily been successes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

It's a personal preference thing. I too prefer stiffer seats over the softer ones. I used to love the driver seat on the Etios for the kind of lower back support it offers. With the crysta, lower back support for driver's seat I would rate it as 7 out of 10. It's not as stiff as what I would want it to be. But, it's not too soft too. On the Etios, I could complete a 750 kms drive without making too many adjustments to my back. With the Crysta, that's not the case. It's a pity that Toyota did not include lumbar support adjustment to such an expensive vehicle.

YES I HAD TO CONSTANTLY ADJUST MY SEAT THROUGH OUT THE DRIVE.

Having said that, the middle row seats of the Crysta with the first row passenger seat straightened is the dream travelling position on the highways and this is one of the specific reasons why I bought this vehicle. There are people in my family with knee issues and they could complete really long trips because they could keep the knee in a straightened position like in a recliner.

I AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS.

We have taken multiple 700 kms trips without avomine or puking. So, I'm not sure as to what happened with your specific trip. But, at the same time I have seen people vomitish after a drive in Xylo or a Safari even for short travels.

DID MENTION That it may have been an abberation.

If you compare it to a sedan, yes. for eg:-, I feel much more in control on my old Etios on the curves at high speed than the Innova. But, Innova is a ladder on frame UV. If you compare it with similar vehicles, then the equation changes. Add to that the ESC and TRC. It is one of the safest UVs around at high speeds.

TRY CORNERING WITH HEXA OR PAJERO SPORT AND then try with the Innova. LADDER FRAME based vehicles can be much better.

I didn't understand this. What is the problem with this ?

DIDNT say that this was a problem. It was an observation. It is a good feature.

For tall people, they need to be careful before selecting Crysta as their vehicle if they plan to drive it. The driver seat travel is not enough.

YEP IMPACTS ME BADLY.

It's relative. I prefer the hydraulic but harder steering with very good feedback of my old Esteem any day over the toy like light steering of my Etios. Innova's hydraulic steering is more comparable to the Esteem steering. And I drive mostly in the eco mode, which means that the power assist is even lesser. I still have never found the steering tiring.

I AM SPOILT BY THE X3, ECOSPORT ETC. FRANKLY THE ENDEAVOUR STEERING IS THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS AND IF ANY STEERING IS TOO FAR AWAY FROM THIS IT DISAPPOINTS.

I have seen superlatives like "damn heavy steering" in this forum. For people who are wondering about the hardness of the steering of a Crysta, it's lighter than a non power steering model of Tata Nano even in the least power assisted eco mode.

BUT THEN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT VEHICLES WITH 10x PRICE DIFFERENTIALS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Depends on what your preferences are and what you are comparing with. Unless you are comparing the driving dynamics with a sedan or a monocoque SUV, Innova is among the better handling MUV's. There are downside like lack of 6th gear, dancing gear lever, limited travel driver seats etc. But then you don't judge a car based on few negatives alone. I always believe you should buy a car that you like, meets majority of your needs and keeps you happy and in this case Innova is probably not something that does for you, which is perfectly fine. 6K people every month don't plonk 20+ big one's just for the brand, but because Crysta excels in area which is important to majority. And yes this majority includes cabbies, babus, film stars and a regular bloke like me!
LET'S for the sake of an EXAMPLE assume that I am comparing with the HEXA. There are other examples in higher price range, but the HEXA is cheaper so and using this example. It beats the Innova on all the parameters that I listed earlier and is about 6L Less OTR. Toyota being the on and off worlds largest vehicle manufacturer, with maximum margins even in India and a lot of money for R&D should have got these aspects that I pointed right.

Last edited by ACM : 1st March 2018 at 14:03.
ACM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 14:23   #1404
BHPian

Quote:

I give you on that, but 16 inch wheels are very comfortable .so theres is no point in saying its designed bad. Also I have told before you need to change your driving style to suit the gears 2&3 instead of constantly shifting in the city.

Quote:
Hey folks. when I wrote the short very negative review in the Official Innova thread I did anticipate the brick backs. It was expected and is natural. As Pride Red mentioned the majority do disagree with me.

But that said even if 90% hold a certain view it does not make them right.
Now this is crap. The car is perfect, you just need to suit the car not the other way round. Own it to believe. My views in first 1k kms were some of the words discussed here but after 3k kms, I understood to what,how,why the car was designed for and changed accordingly.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 1st March 2018 at 14:27.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 14:48   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Large numbers sold does not equate to great vehicle.
Actually it does, and that is exactly what is happening with the Tiago and the Nexon, people are voting with their money. For the price Tiago and Nexon are great compared to its rivals so are other segment leaders. So is Bolero its a great vehicle for a lot of people and various Govt. departments. So is Swift for a lot of people.

Just like how people voted for the Nexon and Tiago with their money (the vote that actually counts, a useful vote) they will vote for a better alternative to the Crysta if they see value in it.

TeamBHP or any auto forum represents only a fraction of the Indian car owning population who knows how to use a computer or a smartphone and that is a minority. But in this age or digital media it can and does influence buyers and manufacturers.

COTY only looks at the product presented and not the ownership experience. COTY votes are silly because it takes only a mouse click and most of the votes will be from people without even experiencing the product in real. And how many of them would end up buying the car? Not many going by their threads. Because voting with mouse click is easier compared to voting with own money because - value, ownership.

If all the car buying public were here on TBHP then COTY result would have been different. But since this is not really a free for all public forum the results will be skewed.

Last edited by Sankar : 1st March 2018 at 14:49.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 15:05   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But that said even if 90% hold a certain view it does not make them right. If 50% + Indians buy Maruti vehicles, it does not mean that they are necessarily better than other brands in even one aspect. Large numbers sold does not equate to great vehicle.

TBHP Car of the Year or even the top 3 vehicles each year have not necessarily been successes.

LET'S for the sake of an EXAMPLE assume that I am comparing with the HEXA. There are other examples in higher price range, but the HEXA is cheaper so and using this example. It beats the Innova on all the parameters that I listed earlier and is about 6L Less OTR. Toyota being the on and off worlds largest vehicle manufacturer, with maximum margins even in India and a lot of money for R&D should have got these aspects that I pointed right.

Agree with you mate. Not all TBHP car of the year have really met success out there in market. And higher sales does not ALWAYS make for a better product (In some case it does). There are N reasons for a car to sell more.

However I disagree with you that "Hexa beats Innova on all parameters listed". Might hold true for one but not for everyone. For example I found the seat compound of Innova much better and comfy than Hexa. Hexa has longer travel for driver and co-passenger but width for legroom is way too less. The cornering is better in Innova with lesser body roll. The passenger seat is set too high (My wife found it way too uncomfortable) in Hexa. The Innova is more agile and engines respond much better. Likewise Hexa has its own positives like best ride, better audio, more solid body, cheaper sticker price etc. To me both cars are quite evenly matched and boils down to what one's requirement is. As long as the car meets your need, you won't be disappointed with either.

Coming to pricing, Innova is priced higher, but then that's how the market is. See Skoda and Audi for example. The Superb beats A4 hands down every (as per we TBHPians) but we know we get a better brand for the extra moolah we pay. Similarly in another thread somebody mentioned upcoming CR-V has nothing more to offer than XUV and does not deserve a price tag of 30lacs on road. In this case however there is no denying the fact that brand Toyota is bigger than brand Tata. To me both cars are evenly matched and is up to you to decide which suits your need and if you are willing to pay for a better brand.

Last edited by PrideRed : 1st March 2018 at 15:10.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 15:37   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TRY CORNERING WITH HEXA OR PAJERO SPORT AND then try with the Innova. LADDER FRAME based vehicles can be much better.
The more important point is that you don't buy a ladder on frame mini van to corner at high speeds. Regardless of how good it feels for the driver, the passengers will end up puking. Regardless, the body roll felt much better when compared to a Safari for example. Comparing it with the Pajero which has a much stiffer suspensions for SUV requirements is not a fair comparison in the first place. I haven't driven the Hexa much even though I understand that it's a well rounded product which offers superior comfort to that of the Crysta. Hexa is the first TATA vehicle that I came close to buying inspite of the TATA brand reputation.

Quote:
I AM SPOILT BY THE X3, ECOSPORT ETC. FRANKLY THE ENDEAVOUR STEERING IS THE BEST OF ALL WORLDS AND IF ANY STEERING IS TOO FAR AWAY FROM THIS IT DISAPPOINTS.
Interesting. For me, I prefer the Crysta's steering over many of the toy like EPS steerings around. It offers very good feedback and is not stressful as well. For me, it offers the right balance.

Quote:
BUT THEN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT VEHICLES WITH 10x PRICE DIFFERENTIALS.
You missed the point there. Nano is the lightest 4 wheeler car on any roads probably. And the non power steering version of it is not too hard to turn. I'm just giving an analogy that the 'hard steering' of the innova is lighter than the lightest car's steering ( non power assisted ). This is true even in eco mode where the steering assist is the lowest. I drive 95% of my time in eco mode and has never ever felt the steering to be stressful.

Quote:
It beats the Innova on all the parameters that I listed earlier and is about 6L Less OTR. Toyota being the on and off worlds largest vehicle manufacturer, with maximum margins even in India and a lot of money for R&D should have got these aspects that I pointed right.
The Hexa beats Innova in almost all aspects regarding to comfort and off roadability. But, it's the below points that gives Crysta the edge.
  • 2.8 Diesel Engine with 176 PS of power and 360 Nm of torque from 1200 - 3400 rpms. The fact that the engine is designed to handle much tougher jobs ( originally designed for Landcruiser Prado, Hilux, Fortuner ) helps its durability and reliability in the long run. The fact that it's 300 kgs lighter than the hexa makes it even better.
  • The big engine small turbo combination which aides daily drivability. The drivability of this engine is unmatched with the torque spread all over the practical rpm ranges.
  • The big T's unmatched long term reliability and peace of ownership. And the desirable side effect of resale value. You can abuse it over and over again and the vehicle still asks for more.
  • The Crysta feels much more easy to drive on city roads and when taking U-turns and in traffic when compared to Hexa. On the Crysta, the actual size feels lesser than what it really is when you drive in tight spots.

Having said that, if the same Hexa was sold under the Toyota badge for the same price point as the Crysta, I might still have gone for it instead of the Crysta because comfort matters more to me than the engine performance for an MPV. And with the Toyota badge, what I get is the trust that the manufacturer might not have cut corners on the fundamental things that matter inside the vehicle. For example, even their cheapest offering - the Etios could handle lakhs of kms without any issues whatsoever other than the regular 10,000 kms service. And with a Toyota, even the 10,000 kms service gets completed in 90 minutes flat normally thanks to those long replacement intervals for parts.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:08   #1408
BHPian

Interesting debate. I didn't consider Hexa in my initial set because it didn't fit my criteria of equipment in the automatic variant as also the hesitation because of the difference in Tata vs Toyota after sales service (the former vouched from web /word of mouth, the latter by experience ) but can certainly say that as far as body roll goes , haven't experienced it in the Crysta the way it is in the Xylo or even the XUV. It's very stable too, at high speeds, and while the ride is bumpy when going over breakers, it doesn't lose composure even if you inadvertently go over one at moderately high speeds. The steering isn't very heavy at all. Is it as much fun to drive as my Corolla, on good roads?No of course not .There is a need to be more cautious on bends and while braking being the heavier car.But it is a car I enjoy more than the Corolla because of the space, and it's higher seating position etc.
vikrantw1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:38   #1409
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Speed is a relative word and I was avoiding numbers and trying to explain as best as possible. Stability on curves too hence is quite relative. Yep one does not drive MUVs like sedans but when an MUV has as much power as the new Innova power spoils us.

Ok maybe I didn't explain the road stability scenario well enough.

The New Innova was in a pair with the previous generation Fortuner on the Bombay Nashik return trip. Both cars had six passengers including the driver with no luggage.

While the Innova built up speed very fast (better than the Fortner or Hexa) to around 120+ and could easily do insane values in a straight line, one was forced to drop speed or change lanes on curves and ghat sections much more than an Fortuner or Hexa (basis a previous trip on same section) 2 drivers both felt the same. Also for some reason the gearing is such that after speed bumps one just can't move on in 3rd gear even if reasonable speed is retained. One can do it in both the lower powered Fortuner and Hexa.

So while the New Innova is fine in straight line and even on mild curves at say 60-80 it is quite unnerving at triple digit speeds.

So this may explain why I was uncomfortable in the Innova. Also had already stated that I am 6 ft and very well nourished the Innova seats were too soft for me and the driver seat height had to be reduced a good bit to increase leg room and I normally prefer to drive as if seating in an erect chair and there just wasn't enough space for me.

On giving others views more thought I realize that maybe slimmer guys or those who like to drive with back more reclined maybe more comfortable in an Innova than I was. It may also feel fine for those who don't have an aggressive driving style. I actually increase my acceleration input as soon as I see a ghat section.

Last edited by ACM : 2nd March 2018 at 15:42.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 16:46   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While the Innova built up speed very fast (better than the Fortner or Hexa) to around 120+ and could easily do insane values in a straight line, one was forced to drop speed or change lanes on curves and ghat sections much more than an Fortuner or Hexa (basis a previous trip on same section) 2 drivers both felt the same. Also for some reason the gearing is such that after speed bumps one just can't move on in 3rd gear even if reasonable speed is retained. One can do it in both the lower powered Fortuner and Hexa.

So while the New Innova is fine in straight line and even on mild curves at say 60-80 it is quite unnerving at triple digit speeds.

So this may explain why I was uncomfortable in the Innova. Also had already stated that I am 6 ft and very well nourished the Innova seats were too soft for me and the driver seat height had to be reduced a good bit to increase leg room and I normally prefer to drive as if seating in an erect chair and there just wasn't enough space for me.
Which mode were you driving in? As per my guess you were driving on PWR mode. Try Eco mode and power delivery is more in lines of Hexa. Another thing I would suggest is try going on the same curve in Hexa or Fortuner at exact same speed. At least as per my test drive body roll is better controlled in Innova than Hexa. I am saying this because I test drove Hexa and Innova back to back on exact same stretch. 60-80 does not warrant you 3rd gear as Crysta can continue in 5th gear starting 40 without complaints.

Regarding seats I agree, just go few pages back and you will see tall passengers finding Crysta seat a bit uncomfortable and is more of personal preference. If you are comparing with Hexa, things aren't any better there. It’s narrower and there isn't much travel. Front passenger seat is worse. My dad is 5'9 and his head was dangerously close to sun visor. Just check below pick from Hexa official review, way too narrow for such a big vehicle.

As per official review " A look at the passenger footwell - narrower than you'd expect in such a large vehicle. Intrusion from the floor hump restricts foot space"
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-tatahexa56.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks