Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 19:33   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
When I bought in july it was 2lks cheaper and I got the inferior 16" setup .
In fact, the 16" tyres are the real superior ones. Offers much better ride comfort and also doesn't burst like a balloon on the slightest impact.
Old 12th January 2018, 05:30   #1292
Senior - BHPian

I had the timing belt assembly replaced under warranty on my Crysta at around 28.5k km.

The entire story on my ownership thread .

I was very happy with the customer service of the dealer & TKM but am slightly disturbed by the issues cropping up with the Crysta so soon.
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:05   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Tyre sidewall crack ( 17" )

Conversation with service advisor of Ravindu Toyota, Rajaji Nagar - 5th January 2017

I told him to send me the pictures of the inside damage of the alloys since we cannot see that unless we remove the tyres. He told that the employee who took the photo is on leave and that he will send it as soon as he comes back from leave. It's been 7 days since this conversation happened and till date, no one sent me the photo of the inside damage of the alloy.

I also had asked him to put the damaged alloy on the front and not use it as stepney. He promised that he will do it. But, he did not. The reason I wanted it this way was because I wanted to be sure that the tyres can survive in actual driving conditions on the damaged alloy. I don't want it to do work just as a backup.

And to add to that, the driver side mat was not buckled securely when the vehicle was given back. Toyota themselves put sticker and instruction all over the vehicle to make sure that this is done for safety reasons. But, service centers seems to be least bothered.

Conversation with Toyota Customer Care - 9th January 2017

Got a call from Toyota on January 9th 2018 asking me more details on the complaint. I told them clearly as to what happened with my 17" wheels and also the fact that Toyota changed to 16" for the same reasons from January 2017 to September 2017 and then again reverted back to 17". The executive told that it's only for the G variants that they changed to 16".

I had to correct him saying that G always had 16" whereas the Z and touring sport was on 17" which was changed to 16" from January 2017 and then reverted back to 17" in September 2017.

All through the conversation, his voice was breaking ( typical bad quality VoIP issues at the call center ). Then he would keep repeating "Am I audible" multiple times. Finally the call got disconnected midway through the conversation. It has been 3 days since and he never cared to call back as well.

Conversation with Ravindu Toyota Customer care - 9th January 2018

I got an SMS on January 9th from Ravindu Toyota to give a missed call to a number, if I'm not happy with the service and I initiated this. Got a call from Ravindu Toyota on the same day. I explained to her that the initial recommendation by the service advisor was that there is inside damage to the alloys ( and I have seen the photo of it ) and it's in the best interest to replace the alloys along with the tyres because the tyre could rub against the abrasions on the alloy and get damaged. The insurance company ( Toyota Insurance ) thought otherwise. They said there is no functional impact and hence it shouldn't be replaced.

I asked her if the tyre bursts at high speed because of the damaged alloy, will Toyota take responsibility for it ? Also questioned her why I would pay such an expensive premium for Toyota insurance when they don't even trust Toyota engineer's recommendations. She said she understand the concern, and will make the service advisor call me. It's been 3 days since this happened and no one has called me till date.

While the experience with the Ravindu Toyota sales has been extremely good, the experience I had with Ravindu Toyota service and Toyota insurance has been extremely pathetic. What is happening with the famed Toyota support ? I think, it's time that I changed my footer - "Smitten by QDR" to "QDR is extinct"

I've owned a Toyota ( Etios ) for around 6 plus years, getting it serviced with Nippon, Anamalais and Amana mostly. This is the first time ever, that I had to write a post in team-bhp with a thumps down icon for Toyota. This after spending more than 3x the amount that I spent on the Etios on their best selling Crysta.

Last edited by amalji : 12th January 2018 at 09:22.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:38   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK22 View Post
Hi,
Could anyone please confirm if you have received a seperate Warranty Card for the Tyres and the Battery or is it simply endorsed in the owner manual.
No separate warranty card given to me for the tyres and battery even when I asked for it during the delivery of my 2.8 GX. I was told its present as an endorsement in the manual.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:42   #1295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In fact, the 16" tyres are the real superior ones. Offers much better ride comfort and also doesn't burst like a balloon on the slightest impact.
Don't lose peace, better get new Michelin in size 17. OEM's are definitely different ( cheaper) than the variants you get in the market and should hold good. The earlier you replace, more value you will get for the old ones. And believe me, you get a different driving feel with size 17. If you have doubts, try the lower variants in size 16 and post your feedback.

Quote:
I told him to send me the pictures of the inside damage of the alloys since we cannot see that unless we remove the tyres.
If time permits, go to a nearby good tyre shop and get the wheel checked. It might be tricky to identify crack by the naked eye but going through the photos you posted, I believe tyre had taken the hit and alloy should be Ok.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th January 2018 at 10:45.
Old 15th January 2018, 18:48   #1296
BHPian

Second Service Report touring sport.

Took the car to the dealership for second free service. Odometer reading 4950Km. Second service has to be done at 5000KM or at 6 Months.
No Problems reported except check tires & psi
Bill Amount - Zero .Happy with Harsha Toyota.

Done recent long trip 800+ kms and reporting observations. (75% highway, 25% city) A/C 99% ON
Mileage on highway 22.3 kmpl, over all 18.7 kmpl
Tires are very comfortable (16" @33psi)
Brakes performed well and engine is very smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180114_172606.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20180115wa0002.jpg  

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 15th January 2018 at 18:55. Reason: Adding more information
Vulken Auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 22:13   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Done recent long trip 800+ kms and reporting observations. (75% highway, 25% city) A/C 99% ON
Wow, incredible mileage! You really have a secret recipe that gets such high mileage numbers. I have never seen any Innova Crysta owners report such great numbers.

I too try to drive with a light foot but come nowhere close to these impressive numbers. Of course I haven't done such long drives. The best I have got on a fairly long drive (200 kms) is around 13.5+ kmpl so far. Just crossed 1K kms on the odometer. Once the engine opens up, the mileage numbers should show a slight positive trend.
Old 16th January 2018, 11:09   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Since, it's mileage season, let me post the mileage that I got on the first 4 days of my Crysta 2.8 Touring Sport Diesel automatic.

The best for a day has been 14.5 kmpl. This was when I was travelling from Bangalore to Kutralam.
And on every high drive ( whether it is the narrow high traffic 2 lane highways of Kerala or the 4 lane highways outside Kerala ), the 2.8 automatic has given me 13+ kmpl on an average which I consider as good. I wasn't expecting this for this behemoth to be frank.

The best I have seen on the average mileage was during a smooth stretch on NH7 of around 50 kms where I just put the car on cruise control at 90 kmph. I got a mileage of around 15.8 kmpl during this cruising.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20171231_152123.jpg

23rd December 2017 - Bangalore to Kuttralam. Heavy traffic till Salem. It took me 6 hours to reach Salem from South Bangalore. The Auto Start Stop of the touring sport was saving every drop of fuel during the long queues in the toll booth. From Salem, it has been all smooth drive. I was mostly in cruise control at 90 kmph.
24th December 2017 - Kuttralam to Trivandrum and then from Trivandrum to Madanvila - typical winding roads of Kerala combined with moderate to heavy traffic everywhere.
25th December 2017 - Madanvila - Kazhakkuttom - Trivandrum and then travel inside the city.
26th December 2017 - Trivandrum - Changanassey ( M C Road ) - Alappuzha - Kakkanad and then travel inside the city roads. Traffic was light half way and then was heavy as is always the case in the highways of Ker
27th December 2017 - Kakkanad - Alappuzha - Kollam - Trivandrum on heavy traffic.
28th, 29th December 2017 - Inside Trivandrum.
30th December 2017 - Trivandrum to Yercaud. Winding roads till Kutralam and 2 lane highways till Madurai ( cruising at 80kmph ), 4 lane highways till Salem ( 100 kmph with ocassional bursts to 120 kmph ), Winding hill climb from Salem to Yercaud.
31st December 2017 - Yercaud to Bangalore

Quote:
Tires are very comfortable (16" @33psi)
Brakes performed well and engine is very smooth.
Can you elaborate on the route for the 800 kms drive ?
Also, could you let us know as to how you figured out that you got 22.3 kmpl on the highways during this trip. I couldn't figure out a way to monitor the average mileage for a short trip without resetting the average mileage shown there ( in your case, the 18.7 kmpl figure will get reset, if I try and find out a shorter span of mileage inside that 800 kms range ).

Last edited by amalji : 16th January 2018 at 11:23.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 11:35   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Wow, incredible mileage! You really have a secret recipe that gets such high mileage numbers. I have never seen any Innova Crysta owners report such great numbers.

I too try to drive with a light foot but come nowhere close to these impressive numbers. Of course I haven't done such long drives. The best I have got on a fairly long drive (200 kms) is around 13.5+ kmpl so far. Just crossed 1K kms on the odometer. Once the engine opens up, the mileage numbers should show a slight positive trend.
You can achieve this but gets all too boring! I was able to manage 19.xx couple of time for distances of 40-50 KM, but then when you see the Alto's, Eon speeding past you, its hard not to press the A pedal. If driven at 100-110 on a 4 lane highway with some coasting you can achieve figures for 15.xx-16.xx which I feel is good for vehicle of this size.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 12:06   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I wasn't expecting this for this behemoth to be frank.
Wish i could put the 2.8D4D AT into the i10 auto since it gives better mileage than the i10 auto even in the city.

Wonder how Hyundai can develop a 1.2 engine that is neither good in performance nor mileage
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 12:08   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Wow, incredible mileage! You really have a secret recipe that gets such high mileage numbers.
Lets keep it a secret till some one figures it out. . It doesnt happen in first 3k kms . I have a ecoscore of 93, so theres some more juice left. I did get 25.1 at one point. 200kms distance can give record breaking mileage figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Can you elaborate on the route for the 800 kms drive ?
Also, could you let us know as to how you figured out that you got 22.3 kmpl on the highways during this trip. I couldn't figure out a way to monitor the average mileage for a short trip without resetting the average mileage shown there ( in your case, the 18.7 kmpl figure will get reset, if I try and find out a shorter span of mileage inside that 800 kms range ).
I dont keep a detailed report but I will make it short.
Mileage measurement:
Fill the fuel tank to auto cutoff. Travel 310 kms on high way and 25 kms city road. Fill the tank again to auto cutoff with 15+ litres . Check the mileage on mid which was 22.3 and calculate 335/15+ . Travel remaining distance of 130 kms on 2 lane village roads and 310 kms high way , 25 kms city road. Mileage is 18.7. Now i have almost half tank in my vehicle.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 13:19   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
You can achieve this but gets all too boring! I was able to manage 19.xx couple of time for distances of 40-50 KM, but then when you see the Alto's, Eon speeding past you, its hard not to press the A pedal. If driven at 100-110 on a 4 lane highway with some coasting you can achieve figures for 15.xx-16.xx which I feel is good for vehicle of this size.
My cruising speed is 90-110 with occasional power mode bursts, yes I did see santro and ecosport cross me . But I usually dont go beyond these speeds.

This is what fuel left after the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180114_172601.jpg  

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 16th January 2018 at 13:26.
Old 16th January 2018, 15:24   #1303
Senior - BHPian

One thing, I'm still not comfortable on the Crysta is its ride quality. If you try and trample over bad roads, you get thrown over. When the front tyres negotiates the pot holes, it's mostly roll and when the rear tyre negotiates, you get a kick on your back. And I find it interesting that the rear wheels give more shock on the front seats than the front wheels themselves.

Was researching on the internet and found this interesting piece of information about the suspensions. I could co-relate instantly to what they were referring to. Does any of you feel the same ? Is it a case of too soft suspensions causing the suspensions to bottom out and then bounce back ?

http://www.drnanoinc.com/nano-compos...va-crysta.aspx

Quoting the relevant text from the article.

Description :-

Quote:
The suspension system of a Toyota Innova Crysta 2015+ is on softer side compared to its old model. Body weight of the all-new Innova Crysta (at rear) remains the same (almost) but soft springs have resulted into more initial compression and leaves very less gap between bump-stopper and the body for springs to work. The repeatedly hitting of the bump-stopper on the body while passing through bad patch of roads, speed-breakers or potholes results into a very uncomfortable ride.

Last edited by amalji : 16th January 2018 at 15:47.
Old 16th January 2018, 15:47   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Pridered in an earlier post said his new Crysta's suspension is not softer compared to the older generation Innova which he has. I have not found it soft either.

GFRP coil springs are used by Audi for the purpose of saving weight. These GFRP composite coil springs are new in the developed market and the manufacturing process is patented and there are not many suppliers for the same. So for the moment I wouldn't trust a made in india composite coil spring or the printed matter in their website. I wouldnt trust a made in india composite leaf spring either by a non OEM supplier.

http://articles.sae.org/13642/

http://www.sogefigroup.com/en/produc...l-springs.html

http://media.owenscorning.com/press-...ting-composite

PS: Even with 6 people on board with luggage the suspension never bottomed out (hit the bump stop) even once in my Crysta.

Last edited by Sankar : 16th January 2018 at 15:53.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 17:58   #1305
BHPian

Since Everyone is posting about Mileage, I thought to post something about the power and comfort of the Vehicle. And yes, the mileage too..
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_0018.jpg
This pic was part of an 800km overnight journey from Delhi to Mount Abu.
And includes Stoppage at one Petrol Pump and Various Toll Plazas.
Cruising speed was 120 - 140 Kmph (Cruise control set at 140).
No discomfort and No passenger complained (5 passangers Which included 1 senior citizen ). This Car can cruise at 140 kmph all day.
The overall Mileage i got from Delhi to Mount Abu was some 14.7 Kmpl which included Ghat and City driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

As PrideRed said,
I concur it is easy to attain 20+ figures during Night Drive on NH8, but then it gets too boring, and what s the use of 2.8 D4D and 172 horses if you don't use it's potential.

The observations related to mileage i have are:
1. Lower tyre pressure of 32psi gives better mileage and a more planted ride than 35psi. (But not recommended for people with OEM tyres on 17 inch alloys)

2. The maximum mileage Crysta AT gives is at 88 kmph(1.5 rpm at 6th gear). After than the mileage begins to fall.

3. Eco mode is only useful in bumber to bumper traffic (1st and 2nd gear only). using it for cruising or normal driving will yield even lesser mileage than normal mode. Power Mode eats up more diesel than required by a 5.0L engine.

4. Flooring the accelerator of Crysta AT will only give your jerks and bad mileage as the gearbox is very lethargic. Light and medium Foot (Only as much that it doesn't downshift to accelerate) are enough to accelerate and even overtake since the engine has enough Torque to Pull in the current AT gear. (Not For Ghats)

5. when de-accelerating, switch to neutral. the car cruises a long way in neutral (Because of the Vehicle Weight and Momentum) if you see a red light/ traffic or a toll in sight. you can switch it back to D whenever you like and Engine braking wont eat up your Momentum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks